Songkran Drenchings Could Well Be Zoned

george

Step 1 the Thai goverment should try to educate the Thais about safety, use the media, the Thai's watch a lot of TV, use the soap operas, embed the safety theme in.

Songkran is a fun time but it should not be at the expense of safety or someone's life.

Enforcement should always be the last type when all else has failed. Besides as everybody has pointed out enforcement is a joke in Thailand. Enforcement will only work if the public cooperates also. I suppose if they had goverment authorized volunteers vigilantes it would help.

The traditional washing of monks and senior family members is the good part of Songkran, something that most foreigners never get to see.

The lunatic fringe who make life a misery for everyone out on the street, endangering life as wll has to be curbed. Though as other correspondents have pointed out the constabulary are unlikely to be up to the task. So it will be yet another redundant law. :o

Let them have their fun, without consideration or analysis of the consequences, it is only consistent with every other activity in the country. Moreover, let the politicians rant and rave unrealistic nonesense given that this is totally consistent with their every action in this country. And more fool us for bothering to even discuss this issue...especially myself.

let them have their fun

what about when it affects the people who don't want to be part of it

the f***ing arabs piss me off, ok on songkran day everybody goes mad but on other days these wa****rs soak people trying to work, children and old people.

last year on songkran day 2 arabs on walking st drove up on a big bike and threatned a thai boy who was about to spray them, he looked at the arabs and completely soaked them, it was great, then they tried to get tough and got soaked by every thai around (including us), w****rs som nam na

Having the annual Songkran festival without water is unthinkable. I went to Cambodia a few years ago and they had banned water throwing in the capital Penom Phen. Instead they threw talcum powder :o easy to avoid and not so bad until you get it in the eye, stings like ###### and your blind for a couple of moments. They were back to throwing water the next year.

If the Government want to do something to help then mabe ban high power water guns etc or better still put public information films on TV to educate people about the danger of throwing at traffic. Now that would be worth spending a few million on instead of playing the usual "reactive" role of wasting money just to look good in the short term

Sawadde Pi mai

Staying home as well.. waiting for the nightdrop.. Too many crazies...not to mention the white power gambits as well.. but in the spirit on "non-accountability" I suppose, Oh.. I don't know how my fist got in your face...it must have been an honest mistake.

Last year we had here at the family "compound" an old time songkran, a bunch of monks came from the wat, and the elderly of the family and everyone was seated under the big roof for shade and food was served and gifts and alms given and water was sprinkled on almost everyone by someone, very civilized and enjoyable affair, I got some pics on film and if I can find em i will post them in the gallery.

But the insane shit that goes on on the hyways and streets is completely out of reason, and why should good honest intelligent people be held prisoner in their own homes while hooligans are allowed to roam,rape and plunder at will. We should be allowed to ride around in pickups and when ever some ###### throws water at you,then you should be allowed to fire a 12 guage into the mass or at least fire a heavy swivel mount sling shot throwing bricks into the mass, I did that just arm thrown brick chunks from my motorbike in CM a few years ago after I was knocked down and scuffed up by a bucket of water knockin me off my bike, there was a bit of blood visible from some heads in the crown,if more was done,I think they might stop or start thrown bricks and maybe get a murder charge going.As it will only get worse til it is stopped.

• 2 weeks later...

BAN SONG KRAN ITS <deleted> AND PEOPLE DIE SO THAT OTHERS MAY HAVE A WEEK LONG WATER FIGHT WITH SEA WATER PISS WATER BEER IN WATER MMMM EYE INFECTIONS.

WHAT EVER IT STANDS FOR OR WHAT EVER IT WAS IT ISN'T NOW.

IT'S A DRUNKEN WEEK LONG WATER FIGHT FILLED WITH ROAD KILL AND AMBULANCES DRUNKEN BRAWLS.

GET A ON A PLANE FOR 10 DAYS EVERY SONG KRAN. AH BLISS MISSED THAT STUPID FESTIVAL AGAIN.

ENJOY

BAN IT

IT'S SHIT

YOU KNOW THEY NEVER WILL THEY LOVE THERE ROAD KILL TOO MUCH

HOW MANY THIS YEAR I THINK IT WAS 5000 LAST YEAR

IMAGINE YOU WERE THE MOTHER OF A DEAD SON

WHAT HAPPENED?

HE DIED IN AN ACCIDENT FOR SONG KRAN

WHAT YOU DOING THIS SONG KRAN

IM GOING OUT TO SOAK SOME MOTORBIKE TAXI GUYS WEY HEY

THEY WILL NEVER LEARN TRULY AMAZING THAILAND THICK AS SHIT

<"We should be allowed to ride around in pickups and when ever some ###### throws water at you,then you should be allowed to fire a 12 guage into the mass or at least fire a heavy swivel mount sling shot throwing bricks into the mass, I did that just arm thrown brick chunks from my motorbike in CM a few years ago after I was knocked down and scuffed up by a bucket of water knockin me off my bike, there was a bit of blood visible from some heads in the crown,if more was done,I think they might stop or start thrown bricks and maybe get a murder charge going.As it will only get worse til it is stopped">

Are you serious about throwing bricks? :o You should see a doctor Kevin.

By escalating the excesses you make it worse for everyone. I can’t speak for other provinces, but it is very easy to avoid the mayhem that goes on mostly downtown in Chiang Mai and soon after dark you can go out anywhere in Chiang Mai without fear of being soaked. If you ride around on your motorbike carrying bricks, you deserve what you get and more. Please stay home in future.

For the record I spent all three days with my girl dancing and soaking downtown this year, right in the thick of it, mostly with Thai friends and even some police and had more fun than I can remember during any other Songkran. Far fewer water pipe guns in evidence, but much of the inappropriate water throwing and behaviour instigated by farangs, who as usual are the ones who push the limits. Expats and tourists alike. (Will the unhelmetted farang couple driving fast along Moonmuang Road on a motorbike with girl standing upright on the back, wearing a bikini, please take a bow). Education directed towards this group would go a long way to easing the excesses.

There were ‘plain clothed’ police everywhere in Chiang Mai this year, mingling with the crowd and for once this was re-assuring. Where violence erupted it was because of excessive drinking, same as any holiday and not a product of Songkran per se.

With the right attitude (which IMHO is to do as Thais do and have a rollicking good time) and a modicum of good sense (don’t ride a motorbike unless you and passenger are wearing helmets and you are a very competent driver, don’t throw large volumes of water at motorbikes, don’t aim any water at the eyes, don’t throw bricks, stay at home if you are too old or insane) Songkran can be a lot of fun. I’m sad about the deaths and nearly all could have been avoided if common sense had prevailed. I’d guess that most of those 500 or more who died this year took a calculated risk borne of stupidity, mostly alcohol induced. We don’t (yet) live in a police state or one under the dictates of Islam, so be free, educate and encourage common sense, live and let live (or die). All said and done, I love the LOS. :D