Bangkok Bank credit card for foreigners

I have heard reports over the years that foreigners without work permits can get a Bangkok Bank credit card if they open a special account and deposit enough money to cover their spending limit.

I have tried several Bangkok Bank branches since I first came here 25 years ago, but I was always told this is impossible without a work permit.

Today, I saw a sign at the Customer Service desk of my local branch that was headed "Foreigners applying for Credit Card". It said that any foreigner can apply for a Bangkok Bank credit card providing they satisfy just 2 conditions.

1. They open a 12 month deposit account with a minimum deposit of 100,000 baht.

2. They have a permanent address in Thailand.

No mention of a work permit.

Is this a recent change of policy? I did not have time to question anybody in the bank today.

Bangkok Bank are notorious for refusing CC applications to foreigners.

The only way BB would issue one to a foreigner is impecable credit/income/references and you must have work permit with your current employer for at least 3 years. The 3 years is an internal guideline I was told.

I don't consider an account where you have your funds in a frozen deposit to be a genuine Credit Card. However, regular savings accounts can have debit cards which are almost like credit cards - and the funds are not locked- otherwise try another Credit Card issuer like KTC card - you will still need to have the work permit and meet minimun income threshold also.

I do have a Bangkok Bank debit card which I can use on the internet or in shops, but I find more and more companies are starting to accept credit cards only, an example is the Suan Dork hospital which used to accept debit cards, but no longer does. Also I sometimes want to hire a car, and I have never yet found a reputable car hire company that will take a debit card or cash.

I should add I opened it at Bangkok Bank. Main reason was the super easy US transfers since they also have NY branch. Only $3 fee transfer in 3 days

Plus the NY Branch sliding scale fee usually $5 or $10 for most transfers and the in-Thailand Bangkok Bank branch receiving/conversion fee of 0.25% (Bt200 min, Bt500 max)...neither of these fees will reflect on your Bangkok Bank account or sending bank account as they are in-transit fees/applied before posting to your account. Since you mention a $3 ACH sending fee, that's the same amount Bank of America charges for a 3 day ACH transfer...but that's only their fee; it does not include the two Bangkok Bank ACH fees mentioned above.

Now back to the original question, which was about credit cards.

It all depends on the branch, some are OK and some want a work permit.

In a branch that's OK it's quite easy.

First you open a account with 100,000 baht, all this money stays in the account all the time you have the credit card.

The credit card is issued (Visa, Mastercard, Amex or all three)

Every month you get a statement asking for the required payment, which must be paid by the correct date.

The payments DO NOT come out of the 100,000 baht security account.

If you want your 100,000 baht back you must pay off and cancel your credit card(s), then you can withdraw the money.

Note: A credit card is different to a debit card in many ways, this is important if you find yourself booking rental cars in the USA or UK for example, or some hotel reservations. Debit cards feel like credit cards until they are not! I have had my Thai debit card refused in hotels in the USA, but a credit card is fine.

If you must travel with a Thai debit card make sure it has your name embossed on it. Many have "valued member" or something like that, just ask the bank and they will order you one with your name on for a small fee.

Edited by technologybytes

Getting a "secured" credit card should be easy...I've been offered such cards several times by Bangkok Bank usually when I opening a new fixed or regular savings account. I don't have a work permit...I'm on a retirement extension of stay/visa. The card is secured by your locked deposit (i.e., you can't access the deposit until the credit card balance is paid in full and card cancelled) so it really no risk to the bank. Quite a few posts on ThaiVisa of folks who have got a secured credit card by making the deposit. But getting a "unsecured" credit card (ie., no locked deposit required) is a different ball game which usually requires a work permit.

About the only time it would be convenient for me would be at Makro, and they only accept 1, Citibank I think. I keep track on the phone calculator so I know if we have enough cash or need to hit the ATM before check out. If you have a large wallet full of cash, like Pib, I guess this isn't a problem. biggrin.png

Oh how I wish Makro accepted cards other than Citibank as I would be using my Capital One no foreign transaction fee credit cards which pay 1.5% cashback. But since they only accept Citibank cards I instead defer the buy of certain items like cases of beer and cola to other places like Tesco Lotus which accept all cards and the prices are the same. This helps to reduce the wad of cash issue.

This thread is timely. I just had the devil of a time at my local bangkok bank branch trying to get them to "activate" (for lack of a better word) my card so that I can go online and check my balance & general account activity. Had to fill out four forms and sign about 14 times. Apparently these forms are to be mailed off to the mothership to see if I'm approved. She said I'll be hearing back in about five business days.

Has anyone else had this trouble? I just want to log in to my account online and see my balance.

• 2 years later...

I have a bkk bank account for work and have noticed their customer service has improved a lot in the last few years to the point where I want to get credit cards with them. I have mortgage,  LTF and RMF there so it'd be a one stop shop. Great phone app too. 

Any long termers with work permits have any experiences they can relate on this one at all?

Thanks in advance! 

In approximately 1999 I obtained a Visa credit card from Bangkok Bank. I had a Work Permit and at least two years with the same employer. I handed it back to them about two years later when they told me they were going to begin charging an annual fee. Before doing that, I obtained a Visa credit card from SCB, which I still have and use.

I was issued  a BBL secured credit card issued without a  problem last year. I have no work permit but have had accounts with BBL for about 10 years. Season Square office is easy to deal with if you can speak a little Thai or take a Thai speaker with you.

A "secured credit card" isn't a credit card, it is a debit card. If you deposit, say, B 20,000, you can charge up to that limit; if you want to charge more, you have to deposit more money first. My credit card is a credit card.

Edited by allane
x

A "secured credit card" isn't a credit card, it is a debit card. If you deposit, say, B 20,000, you can charge up to that limit; if you want to charge more, you have to deposit more money first. My credit card is a credit card.

There are many differences between a debit card and a secured credit card. Most import is the credit card delays payment for a period of time whereas a debit card is immediately debited from your account. One can also dispute a charge on a credit card. Online usage of debit cards is not common but credit cards are accepted. If one can only get a credit card through secured account it is still a credit card.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Thanks 1

Well, I went in again today and was told apologetically all foreigners (regardless of length of stay, work permits, etc in my case for 17 years) need a secured credit card. So if you have 100k card you need an account you don't ever touch with the same amount in it. 

A real shame, their app, LTFs, mortgage services and customer service are all great.

On 9/3/2017 at 0:07 PM, allane said:

Debit cards (sometimes called "secured credit cards") are for people who can't qualify for credit cards.

29 minutes ago, Covertjay said:

Well, I went in again today and was told apologetically all foreigners (regardless of length of stay, work permits, etc in my case for 17 years) need a secured credit card. So if you have 100k card you need an account you don't ever touch with the same amount in it. 

A real shame, their app, LTFs, mortgage services and customer service are all great.

I am taking the combination of these 2 posts as meaning that Bangkok Bank won't allow us farangs to have real genuine McCoy credit cards. They can then "go whistle" as far as I am concerned - and I'll stick with my real genuine McCoy UK credit card!:tongue:

Edited by OJAS
  • Haha 1

I am taking the combination of these 2 posts as meaning that Bangkok Bank won't allow us farangs to have real genuine McCoy credit cards. They can then "go whistle" as far as I am concerned - and I'll stick with my real genuine McCoy UK credit card!:tongue:

Bangkok Bank will issue a nonThai a unsecured credit card if that person meets all criteria such as work permit with appropriate salary. Some branches may tell you they do not so just call the number in the web site and ask

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 10/09/2017 at 7:04 PM, asiaexpat said:

Bangkok Bank will issue a nonThai a unsecured credit card if that person meets all criteria such as work permit with appropriate salary. Some branches may tell you they do not so just call the number in the web site and ask

They called head office and call centre when I was there to check and they said no. Guessing it's recent internal policy if others with years of WPs have them. 

I do have two other credit cards, but I was hoping to get rid of amex which is not very good. 

• 1 year later...

Bangkok Bank seems to have an uncanny obsession with work permits. They KNOW that many expats do not work and CANNOT legally work, yet they keep requiring work permits. Those in charge frequently do not seem to know what the law is on working with a Non-O extension. Bangkok Bank is the ONLY bank authorized to accept Social Security direct deposit, and it appears THAT will end in April.

On 9/3/2017 at 12:07 PM, allane said:

Debit cards (sometimes called "secured credit cards") are for people who can't qualify for credit cards.

Wrong...a debit card per its name automatically debits the full amount from your current or savingd account, while a credit card or secured credit are payable on a monthly basis either as a full payment or minimum payment, with interest due when minimum or partial payments are made..

So your statemrnt is factually incorrect 

On 9/29/2018 at 9:25 AM, KhunFred said:

Bangkok Bank seems to have an uncanny obsession with work permits. They KNOW that many expats do not work and CANNOT legally work, yet they keep requiring work permits. Those in charge frequently do not seem to know what the law is on working with a Non-O extension. Bangkok Bank is the ONLY bank authorized to accept Social Security direct deposit, and it appears THAT will end in April.

So what is law working on a non o extension then ?...you cant work on a non o extension or even a B without a work permit

On 9/10/2017 at 7:04 PM, asiaexpat said:

All banks in Thailand will issue non secured credit cards if you qualify, if you have a half decent job, work permit etc, an unsecured cc is easy to come by

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scottjouro said:

All banks in Thailand will issue non secured credit cards if you qualify, if you have a half decent job, work permit etc, an unsecured cc is easy to come by

I am RETIRED. Those who are on extension of stay based on retirement, CANNOT work. That is the law.