Rockslide kills a Russian national in Phetchaburi

webfact

Rockslide kills a Russian national in Phetchaburi

10-6-2014-10-43-26-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Torrential rains hit many provinces in the South, particularly in Phetburi province where the rains caused rockslide that killed a Russian woman and seriously injured her six-year-old daughter.

Killed by the rockslide was a Russian national identified only as Mrs Laila.

She was hit by one of the falling rocks while she was at a local meditation center at the Dham Phra Nong Na Kwang in Nayang, Cha-Am, Phetchaburi province today.

Unfortunately Mrs. Laila succumbed to her injuries on the way to the hospital.

Her six year old daughter who was accompanying her was also seriously injured and is still being treated by physicians.

The rocks that were dislodged due to the storm also managed to damage homes and vehicles that were in its path.

Eye witness accounts stated that they heard a loud sound which they initially thought was an explosion. It turned out large rocks were dislodged atop the nearby hill and rolled down into the Meditation Center damaging homes and cars along the way.

Elsewhere in Hua Hin also within the Phetchaburi province, heavy rain storms inundated a number of villages. Authorities have rushed to residents’ rescue to evacuate them along with their personal belongings to higher ground.

Likewise in Satun, rain water overflowed from a local dyke flooding several villages cutting them off from the outside world. A 300 meter stretch of the Hat Yai – Satun Road has also been flooded. As a result, authorities have now declared the Kwon Don, La Ngu, Tha Pae and Kwon Kalong districts as disaster areas.

In Trang heavy rains and fierce winds fell a rare 50 year old sugar apple tree onto a four ton electric pole and damaging a further four cars.

Heavy rain and wind also struck the northern region especially in Kampangpet and Lampang provinces where a number of paddy silos which are used to dry rice were damaged.

Several homes within the area were also damaged.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/rockslide-kills-russian-national-phetchaburi/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-10-07

Very sad story. Hope she did not suffer.

Lot of resorts over there in that area of Cha-am came to exist because the land they sit on had been carved out from the mountains. Like the Swiss sheep village and that ugly new Camel resort.

Very dangerous if the engineers donot know fully what they are doing.

Rockslides can happen everywhere. But they seem to do most damage in places that have been (over-) developed.

Thailand is an extremely hazardous place to live. I counted up last night and discovered I have been injured 10 times since coming to Thailand 3 years ago. OK I will admit one or two times it may have been my fault but if I had lived a similar way in my home country, I would not have been injured at all.

1. Motorcycle accident - a man drove out from a side street onto a major thoroughfare without looking at all. I was not speeding and luckily my alertness prevented me from being seriously injured. Still I received bruises on one side of my body and limped for 2 months. Great doctor. Bursitis arising from the accident stretched this out for months. In Canada i would have been compensated. The police said I had been driving to fast - no skid marks and I was still sitting on my motorbike. My sped on impact was likely less than 10 km/hr.

2. Operation on elbow from bursitis arising from accident about 8 months after the accident. Cast and sling to restrict movement.

3. Painting the house while standing on the roof , I fell through the tiles although I had been up there several times without a hint of problems. Luckily the tarp I was standing on let me down like an escape chute. Banged something my legs or arms from impact. The thing is they do not have these type of tiles in North America. So weak without proper support. Crack so easily.

4. Out running - tripped on a badly placed curb. Damaged arm - sling for a week. Infrastructure here is badly constructed and maintenance is next to non-existent with huge holes in the road where cars get trapped and present huge tripping hazards.

5. Dengue fever - in Intensive Care within 30 minutes of first symptoms - nearly died . In hospital for 6 or 7 days. I had to release myself from the hospital they were trying to kill me with the food. Only served me joq every meal. I looked on the web and this is not the diet recommended for Dengue fever. I adjusted my diet at home and recovered.

6. 5 weeks later got Dengue fever again but the diet and juice from the leaf of the papaya saved me. Passed on a trip to the hospital.

7. Altercation with a foreign neighbour left me bruised. I have not been in an altercation since i was 16 or 17. This foreigner was the Devil incarnate and admitted to buying 400 prostitutes in Pattaya. I suspect he was a pimp, his wife a madam and he may have murdered his son. Although my injuries were almost inconsequential I had been threatened and assaulted and it cost me 50,000 Baht to counteract the bribes the Devil paid to the Thai police.

8. Now this one is likely my own foolhardiness but such outdoor exercise equipment does not exist in North America. I was exercising on one piece of equipment when the thought occurred to me that the exercise would be more effective if i used my stomach muscles to sit up and so I let go of the handles and was shot off the back of the equipment like a stone in a slingshot. I had not factored in the springs under the equipment - out of sight out of mind. Cracked my skull , bit my tongue and sprained my main breast plate and spine. Still recovering 6 days later. Dumb. I admit.

Sometimes our lives serve only as a warning to others.

Thailand is an extremely hazardous place to live. I counted up last night and discovered I have been injured 10 times since coming to Thailand 3 years ago. OK I will admit one or two times it may have been my fault but if I had lived a similar way in my home country, I would not have been injured at all.

1. Motorcycle accident - a man drove out from a side street onto a major thoroughfare without looking at all. I was not speeding and luckily my alertness prevented me from being seriously injured. Still I received bruises on one side of my body and limped for 2 months. Great doctor. Bursitis arising from the accident stretched this out for months. In Canada i would have been compensated. The police said I had been driving to fast - no skid marks and I was still sitting on my motorbike. My sped on impact was likely less thann 10 km/hr.

2. Operation on elbow from bursitis arising from accident about 8 months after the accident. Cast and sling to restrict movement.

3. Painting the house while standing on the roof , I fell through the tiles although I had been up there several times without a hint of problems. Luckily the tarp I was standing on let me down like an escape chute. Banged something my legs or arms from impact. The thing is they do not have these type of tiles in North America. So weak without proper support. Crack so easily.

4. Out running - tripped on a badly placed curb. Damaged arm - sling for a week. Infrastructure here is badly constructed and maintenance is next to non-existent with huge holes in the road where cars get trapped and present huge tripping hazards.

5. Dengue fever - in Intensive Care within 30 minutes of first symptoms - nearly died . In hospital for 6 or 7 days. I had to release myself from the hospital they were trying to kill me with the food. Only served me joq every meal. I looked on the web and this is not the diet recommended for Dengue fever. I adjusted my diet at home and recovered.

6. 5 weeks later got Dengue fever again but the diet and juice from the leaf of the papaya saved me. Passed on a trip to the hospital.

7. Altercation with a foreign neighbour left me bruised. I have not been in an altercation since i was 16 or 17. This foreigner was the Devil incarnate and admitted to buying 400 prostitutes in Pattaya. I suspect he was a pimp, his wife a madam and he may have murdered his son. Although my injuries were almost inconsequential I had been threatened and assaulted and it cost me 50,000 Baht to counteract the bribes the Devil paid to the Thai police.

8. Now this one is likely my own foolhardiness but such outdoor exercise equipment does not exist in North America. I was exercising on one piece of equipment when the thought occurred to me that the exercise would be more effective if i used my stomach muscles to sit up and so I let go of the handles and was shot off the back of the equipment like a stone in a slingshot. I had not factored in the springs under the equipment - out of sight out of mind. Cracked my skull , bit my tongue and sprained my main breast plate and spine. Still recovering 6 days later. Dumb. I admit.

You are a walking jinx.
  • Like 2

1. Motorcycle accident - a man drove out from a side street onto a major thoroughfare without looking at all. I was not speeding and luckily my alertness prevented me from being seriously injured. Still I received bruises on one side of my body and limped for 2 months. Great doctor. Bursitis arising from the accident stretched this out for months. In Canada i would have been compensated. The police said I had been driving to fast - no skid marks and I was still sitting on my motorbike. My sped on impact was likely less than 10 km/hr.

Get rid of the motor bike, throw the gym gear away, keep away from heights, use mosquito repellant, stop brawling with neighbours......take up embroidery....(use a blunt needle)!

• Like 1

Is your nickname 'lucky'?

Does anyone know how to contact this meditation center? can find it in internet((

I hope it could be possible to check from the center in which hospital the little girl is and if there are already any friends or relatives with her. May be she alone and needs help and support, at least smb to talk with in her language (...if she is in condition to talk...) It must be terrible to be absolutely alone in such tragic circomstances.

• Like 1