Thai student discovers a clever solution for killing cockroaches

Jonathan Fairfield

Jenjira Ponyong, a Prathom 6 student from Pracha-anukro Primary School, Kalasin province has invented a unqiuye solution for killing cockroaches.

I think I saw something like this the other day on my nephew's facebook page.

Edited by Morakot

Metamucil containing psyllium a powder made from a natural grain husk - could be substituted for the cement powder. Mixed with water is sets up like a sticky gel concrete... Pure psyllium would be better - but I have not see any in Thailand.

I used psyllium on fire ant beds in Texas... worked pretty good and non toxic... I poured a cup full on the ant mound... watched them drag it down the holes in the mound - clearing the top of the mound. Then using a 'wand' on the end of a water hose to put water deep into the mound ... The 'wand' is a rod type device - hollow with a hole in the tip... designed for pushing in the soil for deep root watering. Not sure what happened down there after watering but all activity ceased on the mound. I imagine though that in the any colony with many interconnected tunnels - the psyllium absorbed the water and swelled up into a semi-solid gelatinous mass - totally clogging the tunnels...

I have actually made stepping stones with psyllium - mixed with sand and gravel - watered and left to harden... it worked... quite amazing for a 'medicine'.... Psyllium's actions in absorbing water and swelling up into a sticky mass is why the directions on Metamucil say DRINK LOTS OF WATER .... which will wash it out of your system --- otherwise !!!

If you want to see this in action ... buy a can of Metamucil or a knockoff -- check the label for Psyllium -- put two tablespoons into a clear glass ... then put in about twice as much water as Metamucil --- let set overnight ... you'll be impressed.

• Like 2

As of late, scientists in Germany (they have the hardest to eliminate roaches) have discovered that roaches have leaned to ween themselves from liking sugar.

Their prodigious DNA has enabled them to survive all cataclysmic events for eons. So.... I wonder if Thai roaches will learn such self preservation instinct.

Many Thais would consider that "solution" to kill roaches as a waste of otherwise traditional snacks.

I had a slight but persistent small bodied roach problem for months and tried everything I could find in the local stores to get rid of them and nothing worked, after doing some extensive research I decided to mail order "Advion" gel bait as I couldn't source it in Thailand, it arrived in 4x syringe type tubes and cost about $20

I placed about five spots of the stuff in strategic places - a quantity in total equal to the amount of toothpaste you would use to brush your teeth, this was about 2 months ago and within one week they were completely gone and have never come back, when I placed the stuff I checked now and again and actually witnessed the roaches filling their faces, they then go back to the nest and die and other roaches then eat the dead and die also, it is extremely effective

I still have near enough 4x full tubes of the stuff unused.

• Like 1

Anybody got any suggestions for rats?

you can get a plastic sheet covered with a thick sticky mass. Rats go there to get to the cheese in the middle and are unable to move away.

Very effective. Available in the pest control department of Big C f.i.

Anybody got any suggestions for rats?

you can get a plastic sheet covered with a thick sticky mass. Rats go there to get to the cheese in the middle and are unable to move away.

Very effective. Available in the pest control department of Big C f.i.

Does that also work for wives, who have a Thai boyfriend? --laugh.png

I had a slight but persistent small bodied roach problem for months and tried everything I could find in the local stores to get rid of them and nothing worked, after doing some extensive research I decided to mail order "Advion" gel bait as I couldn't source it in Thailand, it arrived in 4x syringe type tubes and cost about $20

I placed about five spots of the stuff in strategic places - a quantity in total equal to the amount of toothpaste you would use to brush your teeth, this was about 2 months ago and within one week they were completely gone and have never come back, when I placed the stuff I checked now and again and actually witnessed the roaches filling their faces, they then go back to the nest and die and other roaches then eat the dead and die also, it is extremely effective

I still have near enough 4x full tubes of the stuff unused.

Hi Smedly, if you are in Bangkok, maybe I could purches 2 tubes? Pvt. Msg pls.

Metamucil containing psyllium a powder made from a natural grain husk - could be substituted for the cement powder. Mixed with water is sets up like a sticky gel concrete... Pure psyllium would be better - but I have not see any in Thailand.

I used psyllium on fire ant beds in Texas... worked pretty good and non toxic... I poured a cup full on the ant mound... watched them drag it down the holes in the mound - clearing the top of the mound. Then using a 'wand' on the end of a water hose to put water deep into the mound ... The 'wand' is a rod type device - hollow with a hole in the tip... designed for pushing in the soil for deep root watering. Not sure what happened down there after watering but all activity ceased on the mound. I imagine though that in the any colony with many interconnected tunnels - the psyllium absorbed the water and swelled up into a semi-solid gelatinous mass - totally clogging the tunnels...

I have actually made stepping stones with psyllium - mixed with sand and gravel - watered and left to harden... it worked... quite amazing for a 'medicine'.... Psyllium's actions in absorbing water and swelling up into a sticky mass is why the directions on Metamucil say DRINK LOTS OF WATER .... which will wash it out of your system --- otherwise !!!

If you want to see this in action ... buy a can of Metamucil or a knockoff -- check the label for Psyllium -- put two tablespoons into a clear glass ... then put in about twice as much water as Metamucil --- let set overnight ... you'll be impressed.

That may even work on termites unsure.png.pagespeed.ce.E7Vo3qsmeC.png .. the queen is always down there in the earth so if you get the queen the others go to.... Now have to find where that Queen is ....coffee1.gif

That may even work on termites unsure.png.pagespeed.ce.E7Vo3qsmeC.png .. the queen is always down there in the earth so if you get the queen the others go to.... Now have to find where that Queen is ....coffee1.gif