BANGKOK
Jonathan Fairfield

Thai student discovers a clever solution for killing cockroaches

2 parts white table sugar.

1 part water

Boil or microwave until sugar dissolves and a syrup is made. allow to cool to room temperature.

Add 1 part borax and mix thoroughly.

Put out a few drops anywhere there is an ant population that will eat sugar. (most ants.) I put it on small squares of non corrugated cardboard such as from a shoe box.

They take that back to the nest and feed it. Borax is a very sharp mineral that cuts them up inside. Within a couple of days they are gone.

(This recipe is older than my grandmother too.)

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The kind of boy who likes feeding chewing gum to seagulls.

for ants mix caster sugar and baking soda in equal proportions. (MUST be caster sugar). Give it time to work - they carry it back to the nest.

Having worked through the chemistry of mixing formic acid and sodium bicarbonate, I have to ask................ants can't fart?

Slighty off topic BUT seagulls can't fart and Seltzer is more exciting than chewing gum!

Nuff sed

Anybody got any suggestions for rats?

you can get a plastic sheet covered with a thick sticky mass. Rats go there to get to the cheese in the middle and are unable to move away.

Very effective. Available in the pest control department of Big C f.i.

Ok, you've got a rat or two (how many are going to get stuck there?) on a plastic sheet, still alive I presume, what next?

OK, next - what to do with those hundreds of dogs in our soi roaming nightly battles over all those garbage cans.
Ah ....... nothing, they could be relatives who sinned in previous lifes (dogs, that is)!

• Like 1

Anybody got any suggestions for jin-jok´s? (inside the home of-course).

Edited by Xonax

2 parts white table sugar.

1 part water

Boil or microwave until sugar dissolves and a syrup is made. allow to cool to room temperature.

Add 1 part borax and mix thoroughly.

Put out a few drops anywhere there is an ant population that will eat sugar. (most ants.) I put it on small squares of non corrugated cardboard such as from a shoe box.

They take that back to the nest and feed it. Borax is a very sharp mineral that cuts them up inside. Within a couple of days they are gone.

(This recipe is older than my grandmother too.)

Had great result with cinnamon in my outside pots , just a bit on the soil when water the plants it will go all in the soil , not a single ant left

Discovered?

This solution is at least as old as my grandmother.

Flour, gipsum and water keeps mice at bay.

Tomorrow, some clever Thai kid will discover America.

At least some encouraging words for a kid....very mean.

I don't think he reads the forum. Safe to speak the facts methinks.

anyone know where to get borax in Thailand, I've asked around many folks say its banned here because food manufacturers like to add it to meat balls.

nothing new here for centuries, in my country, one puts rice flour or corn for attracting cockroaches and ants.

Eat insects, and they die suffocated.

An advantage when it rains, flour rest in heaps, and still is consumable.sick.gif

Discovered?

This solution is at least as old as my grandmother.

Flour, gipsum and water keeps mice at bay.

Tomorrow, some clever Thai kid will discover America.

Killjoy! the students solution is for Cockroaches not mice......(they live amongst us!) facepalm.gifwai.gif

Not sure if cement powder is recommended though, as if it is mixed with water, you're not only gonna kill cockroaches but also your floor!

The cement powder is mixed with water INSIDE the cockroach, not directly on the floor....Duh!

• Like 1