Thai student discovers a clever solution for killing cockroaches

Jonathan Fairfield

Thais are so clever. If they ever start to read books, they will be inventing all kinds of things.

FYI

Hours reading per week per person

1. India — 10 hours, 42 minutes

2. Thailand — 9:24

3. China — 8:00

4. Philippines — 7:36

5. Egypt — 7:30

6. Czech Republic — 7:24

7. Russia — 7:06

8. Sweden — 6:54

8. France — 6:54

10. Hungary — 6:48

10. Saudi Arabia — 6:48

12. Hong Kong — 6:42

13. Poland — 6:30

14. Venezuela — 6:24

15. South Africa — 6:18

15. Australia — 6:18

17. Indonesia — 6:00

18. Argentina — 5:54

18. Turkey — 5:54

20. Spain — 5:48

20. Canada — 5:48

22. Germany — 5:42

22. USA — 5:42

24. Italy — 5:36

25. Mexico — 5:30

26. U.K. — 5:18

27. Brazil — 5:12

28. Taiwan — 5:00

29. Japan — 4:06

30. Korea — 3:06

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/nop-world-culture-scoretm-index-examines-global-media-habits-uncovers-whos-tuning-in-logging-on-and-hitting-the-books-54693752.html

One thing they forgot to include on this is how many words they read in that time.

Edited by harrry

2 parts white table sugar.

1 part water

Boil or microwave until sugar dissolves and a syrup is made. allow to cool to room temperature.

Add 1 part borax and mix thoroughly.

Put out a few drops anywhere there is an ant population that will eat sugar. (most ants.) I put it on small squares of non corrugated cardboard such as from a shoe box.

They take that back to the nest and feed it. Borax is a very sharp mineral that cuts them up inside. Within a couple of days they are gone.

(This recipe is older than my grandmother too.)

What's the usual name for "Borax" in Thai? Just started to have many ants in our house. These animals are driving me crazy,as you can find them INSIDE my notebook, under my shirt, etc....

Thanks in advance.......

Discovered?

This solution is at least as old as my grandmother.

Flour, gipsum and water keeps mice at bay.

Tomorrow, some clever Thai kid will discover America.

You're not really fair to a young Thai student, now. Honestly speaking it's a nice way to get rid off these creatures.

And your last sentence is Thai bashing. My family and friends are Thai. I hope you're not living here with your grandmother.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Discovered?

A lot of Americans don't know where Thailand is. Many can't even locate UK on the map.

Maintenant, nous devons savoir quel genre de livres: bandes dessinées, halloween, le Coran, Thomas Mann? Très dire cette statistique.

Laissez-moi sortir.

perhaps the last bestseller;
"Thank you for this moment" Valerie Trierweiler!!!! violin.gifbeatdeadhorse.gifbeatdeadhorse.gifbeatdeadhorse.gif

It seems that except roaches being pests, there is also more to it. As BBC claims we are programmed to fear those insects. I wonder if it's true. Anyone care to admit that they're afraid or roaches? I can go first and say that they do scare me. The regular ones are just scary disgusting whereas those Madagascar types scare the HELL out of me. So as for me goes, BBC is right. Here is the whole story:

Why are we so revolted by roaches? Rachel Nuwer visits her own personal insect hell to find out, and discovers a disturbing truth about our future with these creatures.

What’s your earliest memory? For me, the answer is not pleasant.

I’m about four years old, and I’m sitting in the green-carpeted hallway of our family’s first home in Biloxi, Mississippi. The bathroom door stands open in front of me, and my mother is emerging from the shower. As she pulls a towel from the rack, I notice a dark stain marring that clean, fluffy pink material. It’s a cockroach. I see it before she does. As she wraps the towel around her body, however, it quickly makes itself known. She shrieks, flailing and stomping, suddenly naked and vulnerable and afraid. I begin to cry.

I recently asked my mother about this event, and she had no idea what I was talking about. Perhaps I dreamed it, or my early memory is flawed. Or perhaps it was just business-as-usual in our Southern US home, where – no matter what chemical barriers were erected – cockroaches inevitably found their way inside.

Real or imaginary, this incident triggered an intense dislike of cockroaches that would only intensify as years passed and encounters with those creatures multiplied. For me, a roach is not just an insect. It is a psychological gateway into a lengthy laundry list of traumatic experiences: digging through a box of supplies in my outdoor playhouse when a roach zips out and scuttles up my leg, its spiky appendages pricking at my skin. Watching my first cat, Salty, as he traps a roach, dismembers it with his claws and mouth, and then eats the succulent, writhing remains. Finding a small dead cockroach tangled in my wet hair after a trip to the beach, and thereafter suffering recurring nightmares of picking roaches out of my hair.

Roaches invade our homes and make those intimate spaces their own. As physical embodiments of filth and germs, they show that for all of our fortifications against dirt and disease, those efforts are ultimately futile. “They’ve really figured out how to exploit the opportunities we create, and in doing so, developed behaviours and life histories that prevent us from controlling them,” says Jeff Lockwood, a professor of natural sciences and humanities at the University of Wyoming. “In a sense, we loathe that which we foster.” Our very existence enables them to thrive.

The true nature of that relationship – and the irrational fear it so often inspires – was something I was compelled to learn more about for very personal reasons. That mission would require me to dig out the cockroach exoskeletons in my closet, explore intriguing new techniques to help us conquer insect fear, and ultimately confront the terror head-on, by journeying into the heart of six-legged darkness, at one of the premier cockroach labs in the world. Along the way, however, I would uncover an unsettling truth about the future of our relationship with roaches, and it would transform the way I see these life-long foes.

Read more:

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20140918-the-reality-about-roaches

http://www.scienceclarified.com/Ci-Co/Cockroaches.html

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Cockroaches-temporarily-shut-theme-park-restaurant-5798614.php

Discovered?

A lot of Americans don't know where Thailand is. Many can't even locate UK on the map.

Waoo, did you discover that all by yourself? clap2.gif

Discovered?

Gypsum is not cement and is not as practical and readily available to Thais as cement. Also, cockroaches LOVE chocolate.

In fact, cockroaches love chocolate so much that the US FDA allows much higher levels of cockroach parts in chocolate than they do other foods.

So, give credit where it's due instead of being such a spoil sport.

• Like 1

Discovered?

Gypsum is not cement and is not as practical and readily available to Thais as cement. Also, cockroaches LOVE chocolate.

In fact, cockroaches love chocolate so much that the US FDA allows much higher levels of cockroach parts in chocolate than they do other foods.

So, give credit where it's due instead of being such a spoil sport.

Ohhh s***, and I always thought that was nuts. sick.gif

I have a better one: Fill a mix (quarter cup) of standard cooking oil and sugar into a glass bottle, shake it vividly so the inside of the bottle is covered with oil and place the bottle (standing upright and open) into any corner of your home. The sugar attracts the roaches, they climb up, drop in and are unable to climb back up again because of the oily surface inside the bottle. They eventually drown in the oil, ready to be disposed of while the oil/sugar mix can be reused as long as you want. No chemicals, no concrete, no mess, only one container! thumbsup.gif

Do I get a Blue Peter Badge? :)

Edited by catweazle
  • Like 1

Metamucil containing psyllium a powder made from a natural grain husk - could be substituted for the cement powder. Mixed with water is sets up like a sticky gel concrete... Pure psyllium would be better - but I have not see any in Thailand.

I used psyllium on fire ant beds in Texas... worked pretty good and non toxic... I poured a cup full on the ant mound... watched them drag it down the holes in the mound - clearing the top of the mound. Then using a 'wand' on the end of a water hose to put water deep into the mound ... The 'wand' is a rod type device - hollow with a hole in the tip... designed for pushing in the soil for deep root watering. Not sure what happened down there after watering but all activity ceased on the mound. I imagine though that in the any colony with many interconnected tunnels - the psyllium absorbed the water and swelled up into a semi-solid gelatinous mass - totally clogging the tunnels...

I have actually made stepping stones with psyllium - mixed with sand and gravel - watered and left to harden... it worked... quite amazing for a 'medicine'.... Psyllium's actions in absorbing water and swelling up into a sticky mass is why the directions on Metamucil say DRINK LOTS OF WATER .... which will wash it out of your system --- otherwise !!!

If you want to see this in action ... buy a can of Metamucil or a knockoff -- check the label for Psyllium -- put two tablespoons into a clear glass ... then put in about twice as much water as Metamucil --- let set overnight ... you'll be impressed.

Pure Psyllium Husk is sold at Villa Supermarket (cheap) and at GNC (very expensive).

Thais are so clever. If they ever start to read books, they will be inventing all kinds of things.

FYI

5. Egypt — 7:30

6. Czech Republic — 7:24

7. Russia — 7:06

8. Sweden — 6:54

8. France — 6:54

10. Hungary — 6:48

10. Saudi Arabia — 6:48

12. Hong Kong — 6:42

13. Poland — 6:30

14. Venezuela — 6:24

15. South Africa — 6:18

15. Australia — 6:18

17. Indonesia — 6:00

18. Argentina — 5:54

18. Turkey — 5:54

20. Spain — 5:48

20. Canada — 5:48

22. Germany — 5:42

22. USA — 5:42

24. Italy — 5:36

25. Mexico — 5:30

26. U.K. — 5:18

27. Brazil — 5:12

28. Taiwan — 5:00

29. Japan — 4:06

30. Korea — 3:06

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/nop-world-culture-scoretm-index-examines-global-media-habits-uncovers-whos-tuning-in-logging-on-and-hitting-the-books-54693752.html

Now we have to know what kind of books: comics, halloween, the Koran, Thomas Mann? Very telling this statistic.

So what does it tell?

Edited by HerbalEd

Discovered?

Bloody right, mate.

When my kid first put letters together to make words, she ran to me with pride and showed me. I scoffed, saying, "it's been done before, dummy."

Kids nowadays--everybody thinks they can be a Nobel prize winner. Pfft.

T

• Like 2

anyone know where to get borax in Thailand, I've asked around many folks say its banned here because food manufacturers like to add it to meat balls.

World Chemicals on Mahidol Road.... they supply swimming pool chemicals and borax is one of them ... that's where I buy it.

Discovered?

Bloody right, mate.

When my kid first put letters together to make words, she ran to me with pride and showed me. I scoffed, saying, "it's been done before, dummy."

Kids nowadays--everybody thinks they can be a Nobel prize winner. Pfft.

T

Waoo, cool kid you got there.

Why didn't I read about that world changing event in any international news?

Shame on you. smile.png

Metamucil containing psyllium a powder made from a natural grain husk - could be substituted for the cement powder. Mixed with water is sets up like a sticky gel concrete... Pure psyllium would be better - but I have not see any in Thailand.

I used psyllium on fire ant beds in Texas... worked pretty good and non toxic... I poured a cup full on the ant mound... watched them drag it down the holes in the mound - clearing the top of the mound. Then using a 'wand' on the end of a water hose to put water deep into the mound ... The 'wand' is a rod type device - hollow with a hole in the tip... designed for pushing in the soil for deep root watering. Not sure what happened down there after watering but all activity ceased on the mound. I imagine though that in the any colony with many interconnected tunnels - the psyllium absorbed the water and swelled up into a semi-solid gelatinous mass - totally clogging the tunnels...

I have actually made stepping stones with psyllium - mixed with sand and gravel - watered and left to harden... it worked... quite amazing for a 'medicine'.... Psyllium's actions in absorbing water and swelling up into a sticky mass is why the directions on Metamucil say DRINK LOTS OF WATER .... which will wash it out of your system --- otherwise !!!

If you want to see this in action ... buy a can of Metamucil or a knockoff -- check the label for Psyllium -- put two tablespoons into a clear glass ... then put in about twice as much water as Metamucil --- let set overnight ... you'll be impressed.

Pure Psyllium Husk is sold at Villa Supermarket (cheap) and at GNC (very expensive).

Where is Villa Supermarket ??

OK, next - what to do with those hundreds of dogs in our soi roaming nightly battles over all those garbage cans.

Ah ....... nothing, they could be relatives who sinned in previous lifes (dogs, that is)!

Yes. I want to get rid of the barking bas**** all night long too

Six of them in one household opposite and 2 next door.

FYI

As far as Thais are concerned this must be reading line, facebook and twitter, books are like kryptonite to most Thais

Discovered?

At least some encouraging words for a kid....very mean.

I don't think he reads the forum. Safe to speak the facts methinks.

Methinks that he notthinks.-facepalm.gif