BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
JulieM

Is the Chiang Rai forum dying?

I didn't know there was any trouble in the sleepy little CR forum, I thought it was well behaved and courteous.

But then there isn't much reason to visit. We just don't have much going on. Me included.

Op, not your fault. It was a good question. So far, no good answers.

Edited by rijb

That was then. This is now.

Why should new members care about the history of these petty feuds?

Let people post what they want.

We don't need old-timers (carrying excess baggage) guarding this forum for 'useful' contributions.

Excellent post Harrry and I greatly appreciate getting your perspective. I have no argument with anything you said.

I don't think its dead. Small place, not as much action as in other places so less topics to discuss or argue about. I read it and I am sure a lot of others do although we may not be posting much.

This topic surprises me. I visit and read and always thought this forum was more polite than many others. Some of the other forums on TV are downright obnoxious compared to this one, IMHO.

So it shows how little I know. I'm sorry to hear if it's been having issues. I never expected that.

Instead of asking "Is the Chiang Rai forum dying?" it might be better to ask what is needed to rejuvenate it.

1. The other local forum is locally owned & operated, they don't make mistakes that can easily be made through lack of local knowledge.

It's interesting to note that this thread has also provoked a response on that other forum. Case in point on that other thread, 2 members here were banned for being the same person. One of them regularly goes on the monthly bike rides, the other runs a succesful local business - they are not the same person and many locals know that. When mistakes are made, rectify them.

2. One member here consistently crops up as divisive and has caused many to leave and no longer post (although I suspect they read the posts occasionally, as indeed I do).

If that member could consider whether his posts are kind and useful before posting, it could make a big difference.

3. If you don't give someone a voice they will fight you.

Case in point, Iraq. The last P.M. dominated his cabinet with his religous faction and took away the voice of his opponents. Result, the mother of all battles. Too many people in this province have been banned, their voices have been taken away and they fight back through the other forum, you have only to look at the success of their Banned Bad Boy luncheon. Revisit those that were banned and see if there is a way for new beginnings.

4. We are all equal.

It doesn't matter if you have lived here 5 minutes or 50 years, whether this is your first post or you have made 6,000+, you have an equal right to post and be heard. There is no seniority here so don't assume you are more important.

5. Forums need financial sponsorship.

Be extra careful with the hands that can feed you. It's not easy to build a business in Thailand. Carry new business openings as news items, don't expect a new business to sponsor before it's successful, but keep the door open for it later. Above all don't make an enemy of them.

6. Acorns grow into Oak Trees

Another local forum could spread to another province, before you know it, it could spread to the whole country. That other local forum is not dying, far from it, it's way more active than this one and it's now in Chiang Mai. It's not going to go away and the current situation just drives it's growth.

Forums are social media. Keep it social.

• Like 1

Nice, practical post!

Social media is just a business. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Letting your customers go away is not good business.

I think describing the local forum's response as a response is less than accurate, that was a serious meltdown.

It convinced me of the total lack of justice in this world when VF is desribed as a "clever wordsmith" and I'm "the Chiang Rai troll". laugh.png

Administration of forums isn't all pats on the back and congratulations, eventually you're sure to piss some one off and you have to be able to accept it and move on.

• Like 1

I think describing the local forum's response as a response is less than accurate, that was a serious meltdown.

It convinced me of the total lack of justice in this world when VF is desribed as a "clever wordsmith" and I'm "the Chiang Rai troll". laugh.png

Administration of forums isn't all pats on the back and congratulations, eventually you're sure to piss some one off and you have to be able to accept it and move on.

I don't know enough about you to comment Scea.

However you slice and dice it, the fact remains people have voted with their feet and it is this forum who have lost out. You can moan about the past or you can try and put things right.

That other forum means that when someone gets banned here or votes with their feet, they become part of a much more active and successful community. They have a voice, a loud one, and it's listened to. Gone are the days of being banned and disappearing into obscurity.

Some would go so far as to say this forum is finished in Ching Rai. Will Chiang Mai be next? Where will it end? Do we want change or do we want to be Ostrich's?

I know of one business who was warned that sponsoring this forum would be bad for his business. There are successful people in this province that are working behind the scenes to promote the other forum and finish this one, that can't be healthy.

Remember the old adage, a happy customer tells another, an unhappy customer tells 20 more. There are way too many unhappy customers here.

FWIW I think the time has come for a change.

• Like 1

The last 3 posts were off topic. Try to stay on the topic about this Chiang Rai forum and not get into slanging matches.

Wow guys simply wow.

Used to be a real cool sub forum here.

At least CR itself hasnt changed that much