Info On Public Tennis Courts? And/or Players?

MyPenRye

Does anyone know of any public tennis courts in Chiang Mai? I would prefer to play in the North-West or central part of Chiang Mai, as I won't be that mobile. Last year I saw some courts at Chiang Mai University Apparently you need to be a student or prof. to play there. Is this right? I was told that there are some near the National Museum, fairly close to the Super HWY and Thanon Chotana. Is this right? I hear that, there, there are fees to pay to play. Apparently one has to book the courts? Is this common? Please enlighten me. Thank you.

BTW, if you are an intermediate tennis player interested in hitting the ball in Nov., Dec., and/or Jan., let me know too. I'm a level 5 player (for the first 5 min. that is, ... after that it is all downhill :o ).

Edited by MyPenRye

• 1 month later...

MyPenRye,

In my opinion the tennis courts at 700 year stadium are the best to play at, they have approximately 10 Acrylic courts (5 fast/5 slow). Rates for a court are 40 Baht/hour, should you wish to hit with a coach/hitter than the cost is 160 Baht/hour. The facilities are very nice, though the stadium is a 3km drive out of town.

There are 3 courts located at Chiang Mai Land Sports Complex (off Chang Klan Road), not quite sure of the price here - maybe 50 Baht an hour, though be-warned there are dog kennels directly behind the courts, which makes playing quite difficult (unless you like the sound of loud barking dogs whilst you play!)

There are some courts aroung CMU, though ive never played on them.

Also Chiang Mai Gymkhana Club has 2 hard courts, though not so good quality and expensive to hire the court at 100 Baht/hour. This is located just off Chiang Mai - Lamphun Road.

Your best bet is 700 Yr, where you'll find players of various standards, they also have a club night from 5pm every day, where you can join in play some doubles and make some new friends, the cost for this is 60 Baht, though you could be playing until 8/9pm. All the Thais that play here are very friendly and would make you most welcome.

I may be here still early November so get in touch should you want a hit/match.

Anyway hope this info helps you.

MyPenRye,

In my opinion the tennis courts at 700 year stadium are the best to play at, they have approximately 10 Acrylic courts (5 fast/5 slow). Rates for a court are 40 Baht/hour, should you wish to hit with a coach/hitter than the cost is 160 Baht/hour. The facilities are very nice, though the stadium is a 3km drive out of town.

There are 3 courts located at Chiang Mai Land Sports Complex (off Chang Klan Road), not quite sure of the price here - maybe 50 Baht an hour, though be-warned there are dog kennels directly behind the courts, which makes playing quite difficult (unless you like the sound of loud barking dogs whilst you play!)

There are some courts around CMU, though I've never played on them.

Also Chiang Mai Gymkhana Club has 2 hard courts, though not so good quality and expensive to hire the court at 100 Baht/hour. This is located just off Chiang Mai - Lamphun Road.

Your best bet is 700 Yr, where you'll find players of various standards, they also have a club night from 5pm every day, where you can join in play some doubles and make some new friends, the cost for this is 60 Baht, though you could be playing until 8/9pm. All the Thais that play here are very friendly and would make you most welcome.

I may be here still early November so get in touch should you want a hit/match.

Anyway hope this info helps you.

Thanks very much for the comprehensive answer.

You are right ... the 700 year stadium courts and activities seem to be most interesting. The CM land Complex would be were it not for the dogs (if only they could be trained to retrieve the balls, that actually would be a bonus wouldn't it?, but I am afraid they are probably trained to retrieve Canadian tennis players. Right?). It sounds like they are far. I did some research and they are apparently North and about 10 km away from the center. The night activity sounds like a great time, as I love doubles too.

The CMU tennis court are not bad, but like I said I was told that you need to be a student (although, if no one is waiting, I don't see any harm, but I would like to know more about that.)

Again, thanks very much. Very helpful.

There are tennis courts in Chiangmai Land adjacent to the swimming pool.

There are also courts at the sports complex on Thung Hotel Road (first tun left after the railway station when heading for the superhighway "from the Thapae Road end to the superhighway")

Both are from memory good standard but cannot advise on fees.

My wife just started a small informal online tennis league for her and some friends in Chiang Mai. The skills vary.

Some of the husbands are quite good players. One guy used to play for his University team and is looking for a good match. If you want, PM me and I can give you his contact info.

Wow! That would be great! I love meeting new people as much as having a competitive game. Thanks.

There are tennis courts in Chiangmai Land adjacent to the swimming pool.

There are also courts at the sports complex on Thung Hotel Road (first tun left after the railway station when heading for the superhighway "from the Thapae Road end to the superhighway")

Both are from memory good standard but cannot advise on fees.

Thanks for the info. I'll investigate them. Thanks again.

The league is small (only my wife at the moment) but she emailed 10 other women who play regularly. The men's league will likely get started in a week or two.

For those interested.... you sign up on tennisengine.com for the Chiang Mai league. You challenge people above you. Once there are enough people, you are ranked. It's great as you meet new people and you can schedule when/where you play.

Once it gets going, I'll post another message for those interested.

The league is small (only my wife at the moment) but she emailed 10 other women who play regularly. The men's league will likely get started in a week or two.

For those interested.... you sign up on tennisengine.com for the Chiang Mai league. You challenge people above you. Once there are enough people, you are ranked. It's great as you meet new people and you can schedule when/where you play.

Once it gets going, I'll post another message for those interested.

What a fabulous idea! I guess your wife is --so far-- on top of it!

If there is any help needed, don't hesitate to ask as I know a thing or two about the ... internet (quite normal for a tennis player, I suppose! :o )

Thanks for the info.