If I want to quit year contract. Implications

davidst01

Are there any implications of quitting a 1 yr contract at a govt institution.

I assume that the contract will not lose any value even if its used as toilet paper. Am I right in saying that this is Thailand and there will be no issues leaving this job at month 5 even though I contractually signed for 12 months.

I intend to tell them that I can wait for them to find a replacement and will do the right thing

Please share with me your knowledge on this subject.

thanks

• Like 1

Why are you wanting to leave? Is it because you have found a better place to work? Are they being outragous with the requests outside of the signed contract? Or are you just bored and don't want to teach anymore?

I am not picking on you just wanting to understand the situation. If you have found a better place to work you need to give them notice. If they are taking the urine, out of you, leave and give them 0% notice and have plans in motion. If you do not want to teach anymore it is maybe better if you left as the students will be the ones to suffer from you being bored in classes.

There's probably a 1-month written notice clause. If you give notice as per your contract, there shouldn't be a problem.

If you walk away just after pay day, they will be angry. They will be justifiably angry as you will let down the school, your students and the teachers who will be forced to cover your classes until they find a replacement. In this case, they are obligated to terminate your non-imm B visa extension and work permit immediately and inform Labour and Immigration the reason why. They will record this information in their databases.

Finding a replacement is a solution acceptable to most employers. However, it depends on how upset the director feels at you terminating your contract prematurely.

• Like 1

There's probably a 1-month written notice clause. If you give notice as per your contract, there shouldn't be a problem.

That's right. Follow the notice period in the employment contract. Some contracts have 1 month, some have 3 months.

• Like 1

I think the only problem is when you sign a contract never intending to fulfill it. Or as Loaded said quit without notice. But the school doesn't suffer nor the students, it is only those that have to pick up the slack. So it is silly when a teacher leaves without notice because they want to hurt the school because schools never worry. They just get others to fill in and put the burden on the colleagues.

Be professional. The other problem is having a lot of breaks in your resume looks very bad. If you have done this more than 2 times, no good manager would hire you. I have a lot of 1 year contracts in my resume and even that doesn't look good to many good managers as they want someone to stay for 3-5 years.

This is a tough one to nail....

1. On the one hand doing the right thing and giving notice of your intention to leave (resign earlier than your contract states).....is the preferred way of handling this and is the "professional way"

a. Unfortunately your employers will see this as a way of slashing into your final months salary.........leaving you with almost zilch. Believe me it happens...they will come up with a thousand reasons for deducting this and that.

b. The "professional way"...mmmm!!!.......are you considered to be and treated as a "professional" at your school...or an entertainer?

Is the school you are working at "professional" in everything it does and in the way it conducts itself?

(If you answer No....to any question in b. go immediately to 2. below)....if you answer "Yes" to both questions then 1. is the correct procedure but the consequences are in a.

2. On the other hand...waiting until you are paid your months salary...and then simply walking away 1 or 2 days after receiving your salary.....creates a clean cut.

a. Up to you whether you verbally inform the school on the way out the door...or leave a note on the directors desk.

b. They will have forgotten about you in 20 minutes...both students and staff (fact)

c. If you opt for 2. get down to your bank asap and withdraw all of your money....less 1000b to keep your a/c valid.

I know of some schools/agencies who have tried/succeeded in having a teachers salary reversed out of his/her a/c.

As far as you being reported to immigration etc etc for "breaking" your contract etc etc.......this is BS.

On the other hand if you do have a work permit then I have read somewhere on TV that this would need to be cancelled.......

I am no expert on anything.........seek other advice/help.....but this is my 10 bahts worth for what it is worth.

Good luck

KIWIBATCH

if this is actually how you handle your own affairs and recommend to others, everyone should disregard everything you say from now on.

First of all if you are on a non B and have extended it at immigration the minute they cancel your work permit, you have to leave the country. If you don't know if they have done this, you could end up paying huge fines. One guy I know did what you suggested and stayed for 2 months and got nailed hard.

Sabotaging one's career is stupid. Leaving students in the lurch is shameful. But since you are clearly not a professional and don't advocate professionalism, why should anyone hire you or take your advice?

Just because a school or manager does something a certain way, doesn't mean that we as professionals have to break our standards.

Give notice or complete the contract.

Potential problems:

1/ If you're on an extension of stay based on employment (e.g. Non-B) is tied to your work permit & contract at the school, so once you finish working at the school, if they report that you have left to DoL/Immigration, your visa finishes and you must leave the country immediately (Although 7 day extensions are possible, but leaving is probably the easiest option).

2/ Krusapa allow teachers 2x 2 year provisional teaching licences (or waivers) without too many questions asked. A 3rd extension is more difficult to get. The provisional licences are tied to the school you're working at, so if you leave early, that's your 1st waiver gone after just 5 months, and you'll then start on your 2nd waiver at your next school (And if you leave there after 5 months, then you'd have used up 2x waivers, which should last 4 years, in under 1 year).

3/ Any contractual obligations within your contract will come into effect. So that might be that 1 month's notice is required (else loss of your last month's salary), or there might be an early termination penalty etc. You'd need to refer to what you agreed to in your contract for confirmation.

Either way, it's good that you're planning on sticking around until the school finds a new teacher, I get a bit annoyed when I see people advocating leaving without giving notice simply because they don't trust the school to pay them (or who want to leave, without giving notice, after collecting their salary over the school holiday period). If working at the school isn't working out, then it'd be silly to stay, but giving a suitable notice period to allow the school to find a replacement is the best option. I always believe that honesty is the best policy.

This is a tough one to nail....

1. On the one hand doing the right thing and giving notice of your intention to leave (resign earlier than your contract states).....is the preferred way of handling this and is the "professional way"

a. Unfortunately your employers will see this as a way of slashing into your final months salary.........leaving you with almost zilch. Believe me it happens...they will come up with a thousand reasons for deducting this and that.

b. The "professional way"...mmmm!!!.......are you considered to be and treated as a "professional" at your school...or an entertainer?

Is the school you are working at "professional" in everything it does and in the way it conducts itself?

(If you answer No....to any question in b. go immediately to 2. below)....if you answer "Yes" to both questions then 1. is the correct procedure but the consequences are in a.

2. On the other hand...waiting until you are paid your months salary...and then simply walking away 1 or 2 days after receiving your salary.....creates a clean cut.

a. Up to you whether you verbally inform the school on the way out the door...or leave a note on the directors desk.

b. They will have forgotten about you in 20 minutes...both students and staff (fact)

c. If you opt for 2. get down to your bank asap and withdraw all of your money....less 1000b to keep your a/c valid.

I know of some schools/agencies who have tried/succeeded in having a teachers salary reversed out of his/her a/c.

As far as you being reported to immigration etc etc for "breaking" your contract etc etc.......this is BS.

On the other hand if you do have a work permit then I have read somewhere on TV that this would need to be cancelled.......

I am no expert on anything.........seek other advice/help.....but this is my 10 bahts worth for what it is worth.

Good luck

Is it possible that you were one of the guys who "created" some of these so called O-Net tests? Just curious.-facepalm.gif

KIWIBATCH

if this is actually how you handle your own affairs and recommend to others, everyone should disregard everything you say from now on.

First of all if you are on a non B and have extended it at immigration the minute they cancel your work permit, you have to leave the country. If you don't know if they have done this, you could end up paying huge fines. One guy I know did what you suggested and stayed for 2 months and got nailed hard.

Sabotaging one's career is stupid. Leaving students in the lurch is shameful. But since you are clearly not a professional and don't advocate professionalism, why should anyone hire you or take your advice?

Just because a school or manager does something a certain way, doesn't mean that we as professionals have to break our standards.

Give notice or complete the contract.

One guy I know did what you suggested and stayed for 2 months and got nailed hard.

I know some guys who pay good money for that.

But to get back to topic Op. if you're a man, please act like a man. Not a female cat

.Or you might consider a membership at the "Sissyclub."

Edited by lostinisaan

Believe it or not, its a small world. Who you burn today, you may need a letter of recommendation from tomorrow.

I try to leave on a friendly basis. Even if it means I will take a loss. and if you know you're going to be leaving, you need to start a war chest to survive for 2 month's living expenses, plus the cost of finding additional work. If you haven't already, start today.

It is up to you to fulfill your therms of the contract, regardless of if the school fulfills their end. If the school does not meet its obligations, its cause for you to leave, but you still have the responsibility. In this case, we are teachers, not some cog in a major corporation. How we act influences the students. And the students will never know (or understand) that the school did not fulfill its part of the contract. You don't think this is fair? Tough. Dont become a teacher.

Remember, You are a major influence on the students in your charge. Its the work you chose. Man up or find other work.

Just my 2 cents

• Like 2

Are you leaving Thailand and not coming back?

Did they lie to you and not following the contract?

Diagree with office politics?

Found a "better" job or better salary?

Many teachers leave in the middle of contracts. Students don't easily believe foreign teachers care about them because of the number that leave mid contract.

After completing a 1 year contract I told the students I need to leave to take care of my Dad and come back in a few years. Their response "we have heard that before".

My Dad suprised us and lived 3 more years, then comfort my Mom one year, then return.

Unfortunately my students had graduated and didn't see me return.

• Like 1

OP, please come back and share your experience?

Over the years, I've encountered so much greed and lying that I'd be concerned about you getting paid in full.

Q: How do you give notice? Via e-mail with yourself as CC: or BCC: to prove delivery?

What does your contract say? I've had different notice periods. Usually 30 or 90 days. OTOH, if you are still in the probationary period, things might be different. An employer can fire you at will. And you could walk out AFAIK.

Another Q: Why do you want to leave?

Chris

I know a story of a Filipino teacher who left the school without giving any notice and was reported to labour and immigration. According to a source, he wouldn't get any jobs in Thailand for a while. / not sure about this

On the bright side, the school kept him on the payroll and some of them took his salary until his contract ran out.

• Haha 1

If you tell them you are leaving, "doing the right thing", you will risk not getting paid for that month, or some deduction. People can say whatever they want on here, but you are risking it. Believe it.

Contractually though there is never anything wrong with leaving a job early. You don't sign your life over, you just sign up to work (if able and willing) for 1 year. You also sign saying that you will give them notice, but they may get frisky and dock you for that (TIT).That's it though, that's all there is to it. Nothing to fear at all.

If you just leave you don't risk not getting paid of course. It all depends on your read on the people running the school, or if you don't care about potentially losing that money.

Edited by utalkin2me

• 4 years later...
On 10/15/2014 at 1:05 PM, garrya said:

On the bright side, the school kept him on the payroll and some of them took his salary until his contract ran out.

They are corrupt as hell. Just leave, they don't give a toss.

As for the student, forget them. they all refer to foreign teachers using the pronoun "mun", similar to dogs. trust me, I've pit 4 kids through schools here and work as  a translator.

On 10/15/2014 at 1:05 PM, garrya said:

I know a story of a Filipino teacher who left the school without giving any notice and was reported to labour and immigration. According to a source, he wouldn't get any jobs in Thailand for a while. / not sure about this

That's all too common... If the government is fighting corruption, then it must start auditing government schools. Banning any teacher of administrator to grabbing money (be that cash or whatever) by threat of losing all pension entitlements is the way ahead.

i had 3 months' notice period and got shafted. 

Do fight tooth and nail to get paid for time worked.