Koh Tao murder report: Prosecutors seek changes

webfact

KOH TAO MURDER REPORT
Prosecutors seek changes

BY SUWANNEE BANTHISAK
CHANIKARN PHUMHIRAN
The Nation

'More crucial information' sought in the case involving the murders of two british tourists

BANGKOK: -- Surat Thani-based public prosecutors yesterday returned the police's investigation report into the murder of two British tourists last month to the officers that had produced it, asking them to supply "more crucial information".

Describing the killings "as high profile, attracting attention from society around the world", the prosecutors reportedly also told the police to "fix certain flaws" and make the 850-page report "more succinct", without giving them a time frame in which to do so.

Meanwhile, Parinya Sirisarakarn, a member of the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC), yesterday gave new information about forensic evidence and claims made by the two suspects - Maung Saw and Maung Win - whom he had met.

He said they told him they had not used condoms while sexually violating the female victim, contrary to earlier police statements that sperm carrying their DNA was found on the outside of condoms.

Parinya also said a Rohingya interpreter was used during the police interrogation of the two suspects, who are from Rakhine state, who allegedly bore a grudge against Rohingya people, apart from their different languages.

He added that both suspects bore wounds as a result of what they claimed was "the police not treating them properly".

"However, both suspects insisted [to me] that they had committed the crimes," said the human-rights commissioner.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha yesterday called on the Thai public and media not to specifically mention the nationality of the suspects, and suggested that they be referred to instead as "migrant workers", after news reports in global media specified the suspects as the nationals of a neighbouring country all along.

"I need to ask the Thai media for cooperation on this," he added.

The NHRC and Myanmar Embassy officials are jointly interviewing Myanmar migrant workers on Koh Tao while collecting general information.

Most of the workers reportedly say they do not believe that the suspects are the real killers, and that there must be some motive behind their having admitted to the murders.

Thai and foreign tourists are travelling in greater numbers to Koh Tao and nearby Kon Samui and Pha Ngan in the wake of the Full Moon Party last night on Pha Ngan, resulting in two extra ferry trips to accommodate them.

Bunsiri Deowanich, the manager of a ferry company, said there had been a 20-per-cent drop in visitor numbers to Koh Tao prior to the arrests of the two suspects.

A source said that personnel from the provincial port authorities were stationed at all piers to ensure extra security and handle any possible emergency.

Some 90 per cent of the roughly 15,000 rooms on Koh Tao have been occupied, and around Bt100 million would be spent last night on Full Moon events alone, said the source.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Prosecutors-seek-changes-30245056.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-10-09

• Like 1

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"However, both suspects insisted [to me] that they had committed the crimes," said the human-rights commissioner.

Just asking but..........does that statement not sound really strange to you ? I mean insisted ? blink.png

He, like so many others, is airing in public evidence would should only be coming out in a trial, providing their is one that is.

• Like 2

Not surprising that the other Burmese migrant workers would not want to believe fellow countrymen had committed the crime.

Such a statment has zero credibility.

Its no different than a Senior Thai Police official suggesting the same about a Thai.

This article offers little useful insight except the interpreter issue. It would be worth clarifying the interviews by having the taped recordings heard by additional Native burmese translators familiar with the same dialect.

• Like 1

Not surprising that the other Burmese migrant workers would not want to believe fellow countrymen had committed the crime.

Its no different than a Senior Thai Police official suggesting the same about a Thai.

This article offers little useful insight except the interpreter issue. It would be worth clarifying the interviews by having the taped recordings heard by additional Native burmese translators familiar with the same dialect.

Was the interrogation taped?

• Like 2

Even if it wan't, the two suspects readily admit their guilt so it would not be difficult to have them explain themselves to a Native speaker/interpreter.

Even if it wan't, the two suspects readily admit their guilt so it would not be difficult to have them explain themselves to a Native speaker/interpreter.

Jesus wept.

• Like 2

Just asking but..........does that statement not sound really strange to you ? I mean insisted ? blink.png

Yes it sounds extremely strange, considering the fact they recanted their confession.

They recanted? You mean they no longer admit guilt now that they have been provided an International Defense Team by Human rights Groups?

Clutchclark, so tell me who were they supposed to recant their statements to before, if the thai police neither asked them if they wanted lawyers nor offered the lawyers. you really should think before you keep rushing in to defend your RTP glory boys.

Poor boy, what are you blathering on about?

I simply asked for info on their recanting their story.

Why has that ruffled your feathers so?

Yes it sounds extremely strange, considering the fact they recanted their confession.

They recanted? You mean they no longer admit guilt now that they have been provided an International Defense Team by Human rights Groups?

+ Embassy. The interpreter has an agenda of his own. His people and the accused's people are in conflict. Sure he can be trusted, not.

Correction: the interpreter "may" have an agenda or "may" not have quoted accurately. That is why I earlier suggested it would be beneficial if a new team of interpreters be chosen to review the confessions.

Correct, they see a glimmer of hope and are brave enough to face more beatings in hope of freedom

I don't see any indication they recanted. The article states:

""However, both suspects insisted [to me] that they had committed the crimes," said the human-rights commissioner."

Could you provide the link that states they recanted? Thanks

He said they told him they had not used condoms while sexually violating the female victim, contrary to earlier police statements that sperm carrying their DNA was found on the outside of condoms.

If their sperm was found on the outside of the condom, it looks to me that someone used a condom after the suspects were done with the victim.

Correct, they see a glimmer of hope and are brave enough to face more beatings in hope of freedom

I don't see any indication they recanted. The article states:

""However, both suspects insisted [to me] that they had committed the crimes," said the human-rights commissioner."

Could you provide the link that states they recanted? Thanks

Other articles claim they recanted, not worth arguing over since the media is only slightly more professional than the officials.