Prayuth declares battle against inequality

webfact

Prayut declares battle against inequality
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha vowed yesterday to make progress in combating social inequality.

"The disparity is a big challenge to the government. We have to create jobs and income for people and solve the corruption problem," said the premier.

He said reducing inequality did not mean making everybody equal, because that is not democracy.

"Today we are following democracy. You can only invest as much as you can afford. If you have no capital you need access to a source of finance. We can help you with this and, by doing so, reduce inequality. But this doesn't mean handing out money to all people equally," he said.

The prime minister also expressed concerns over the country's development, saying the government had to work in a hands-on way to bring progress.

"Our neighbour countries have developed rapidly, but we lag behind because of internal fighting," said Prayut.

The premier said that since his first day in the job, he had been listing problems that needed to be solved before the country's income could be lifted.

However Prayut, who is also chief of National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), expressed satisfaction with the NCPO's performance over the past four months. Referring to a joint meeting between the Cabinet and the NCPO on Tuesday, he said the government and the NCPO had to focus on solving the country's problems in a proactive way.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Prayut-declares-battle-against-inequality-30245062.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-10-09

The premier said that since his first day in the job, he had been listing problems that needed to be solved before the country's income could be lifted.

That list, now simply referred to as the PPPP, not to be mistaken with any connection with/to the PPP.

Premier Prayuth's Perpetual Problems!

I'm sure he's continually adding to what is likely an extensive list already!

He seems to be taking a big bite, I hope it's not more than he can chew, he may be more than a mere footnote in the history books of Thailand, he may live on to take out a full chapter for himself! It's nice to see someone "stepped up to the plate"!

I wish him the best of luck!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It would be a good start to find out why so many people, including military officers, have wealth hardly commensurate with their salaries.

The Good general is pissing into the wind.

The problem about pissing into the wind is that it tends to come back and hit you giggle.gif

if it's true that just 0.1% here own more than 50% of the wealth then he has his work cut out. He could not even enforced the new lottery prices.

Yes, after "enjoying" the lower-priced tickets briefly, I noticed yesterday that it's back to Baht 110 in Pattaya with some of the vendors who had been holding it at Baht 100 for awhile..

As to the distribution of wealth, the numbers above are certainly extreme but in, for example, the UK, the top 1/5th or 20% own 60 % of the wealth

and it's worse in the US where the upper 20% own 85% of the national wealth.

http://www.discoversociety.org/2013/12/03/focus-the-distribution-of-wealth-what-we-think-and-how-it-is/

In 2007 the richest 1% of the American population owned 34.6% of the country's total wealth, and the next 19% owned 50.5%. Thus, the top 20% of Americans owned 85% of the country's wealth ...

No countries use the word "democracy" more than dictatorships.

For instance:
Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK)
Deutsche Demokatische Republik (DDR)
The trick is that they teach the children in school what democracy means ....
I will personally tear up the new democracy lessons my son will get in school.
I want him to fail the subject.
Edited by kriswillems
  • Like 1

"Our neighbour countries have developed rapidly, but we lag behind because of internal fighting," said Prayut.

Nope - your neighbours are developing rapidly because they have sorted their education systems out - the General is clearly trying but why on Earth is this not at the very top of the agenda?

Every time I see a comment in this vein, I want to give a thousand "likes". When I came here 25 years ago, education reform was a critical priority - guess what? It has not changed one iota. It's very discouraging to see young, vibrant, alive minds being stifled by dinosaur educators.

• Like 1

At least he's recognizing this problem and agrees that investment and access to capital is important but shouldn't be a handout.

inequlaity is caused by govt policy.

any wonder why inequality has increased under obama even though he preaches against it..............lol.

OK coffee1.gif

Sorry, I am new here but I have to ask the moderators... how does a comment like this qualify as a "post".

It doesn't, but what can you do. There are many that are much worse, and we hide those. We do our best to keep the forum moving along nicely. Your support helps. If you see an inappropriate post, hit the report button. We appreciate members doing this as we can't read every post. Just don't over use it! LOL.

Welcome aboard!

Nope - your neighbours are developing rapidly because they have sorted their education systems out - the General is clearly trying but why on Earth is this not at the very top of the agenda?

Every time I see a comment in this vein, I want to give a thousand "likes". When I came here 25 years ago, education reform was a critical priority - guess what? It has not changed one iota. It's very discouraging to see young, vibrant, alive minds being stifled by dinosaur educators.

Do you really expect education to improve under a dictatorship?

The main problem with Thai education is the total lack of critical thinking....

Is the dictator going to encourage critical thinking?

Edited by kriswillems
  • Like 2