A few random questions about Phetchabun

revgreen

1. Are there any sporting leagues that I could join? Right now I play basketball with some other foreign teachers, but I'm hoping to find something more consistent. I'd really like to find a proper 9v9 or 11v11 football league to play in.

2. Are there any running trails around? Phetchabura is too small. Peppitayakom is okay for speedwork, but it's torture to run 6+ miles there. I know there is the park by Big Buddha but is that the only "trail"?

3. Where can I go fishing? Somewhere secluded. Preferably near cabins to stay for a night or two. Maybe up around Khao Kho?

4. Most importantly... is there anywhere with a Western breakfast? I miss bacon and eggs and I'm far too lazy to cook them myself.

your living in the wrong part of Thailand for the lifestyle you aspire to live.

you need to be somewhere like Udon or Khon Kean, Phetchabun has very little for someone that wants what we think of as normal.

facilities are very limited.

• Like 1

your living in the wrong part of Thailand for the lifestyle you aspire to live.

you need to be somewhere like Udon or Khon Kean, Phetchabun has very little for someone that wants what we think of as normal.

facilities are very limited.

Oh no I like it quite alright here. These are just some random questions I had been thinking about lately and hadn't had a chance to ask anyone.

Like I said. I know places to play sports and run and fish and I can cook for myself. The rest is just luxury as far as I'm concerned.

You can get a western style breakfast at the golf club. Awesome pizza and pasta at cup mellow in Lom Sak.

There is actually a decent pizza/pasta place here in Phetchabun, the chef was trained in BKK and has quite a few awards. It's still Thai-style pasta but it's better than Pizza Co. and similar stuff.

I'll definitely check out the breakfast at the golf club!

Where abouts?

post-215377-14130873947465_thumb.jpg

Right around there. The Chef goes by Jackie. It usually does a good dinner business and they recently remodeled and completely redid the menu (which is when they added pizza). They also have decent fish & chips, mashed potatoes, and steak.

Edited by revgreen

Where abouts?

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1413087393.413602.jpg

Right around there. The Chef goes by Jackie. It usually does a good dinner business and they recently remodeled and completely redid the menu (which is when they added pizza). They also have decent fish & chips, mashed potatoes, and steak.

I donot know about everyone else in this forum but I cannot for the life of me read Thai maps. Could you give us or me a description of where this place is like in directions. Thai maps are just plain frustration to me I get nothing from them. And I am interested in trying this place. Cup Mellow in Lomsak I know is excellent but has moved and is now on the road to Ban Tiu They have the best tasting pizza I have had in thailand.

Please give more discriptive info on how to find this place you are talking about or perhaps a name.

• Like 1

Where abouts?

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1413087393.413602.jpg

I donot know about everyone else in this forum but I cannot for the life of me read Thai maps. Could you give us or me a description of where this place is like in directions. Thai maps are just plain frustration to me I get nothing from them. And I am interested in trying this place. Cup Mellow in Lomsak I know is excellent but has moved and is now on the road to Ban Tiu They have the best tasting pizza I have had in thailand.

Please give more discriptive info on how to find this place you are talking about or perhaps a name.

Type 16.4188°N 101.1556°E into Google Maps or Google Earth

post-16671-0-49765800-1413107651_thumb.j

Maybe just me but I seem to be able to find a place like a restaurant a lot easier when I know its name. someone here could be of great help if they could give us the name of this fine establishment. The google map is quite good but looks like the place is in an alley, not on the street. So if anyone could help with a name would greatly be appreciated.

Just realised I could walk around the area and ask where is the restaurant that Jackie cooks at. Sometimes the obvios just evades me.

Edited by lovelomsak

Maybe just me but I seem to be able to find a place like a restaurant a lot easier when I know its name. someone here could be of great help if they could give us the name of this fine establishment. The google map is quite good but looks like the place is in an alley, not on the street. So if anyone could help with a name would greatly be appreciated.

Just realised I could walk around the area and ask where is the restaurant that Jackie cooks at. Sometimes the obvios just evades me.

Yeah I honestly have no idea what the name is. I think it's something like Steak and Pasta House. But everyone I know just refers to it as 'Jackie's'

I'm pretty sure that the venue you describe is the one that lies one road back from the 21 in the centre of town. Basically, go across from the main lights and its a very, very small semi-open air restaurant that sits on the next road, parallel to the 21, in the centre of town. That is why it looks like it is in an alley-way. As far as Phetchabun goes, I think its actually a great little place and 'Jackie' is a proper chef, not a pratt in a hat. He's apparently married to a local lady which is why he is here and about to move across out to Nong Naree. Well worth the visit... not quite aussie steak but the mashed potato is 1) mashed and 2) potato which works for me. Enjoy!

Me

ps: I've been toying with the idea of opening a small farang oriented restaurant locally myself. It'd be called 'Falang' (original, huh?) and would just do some basic Western food. My wife's family are great cooks and some of her aunts are in Europe with Western husbands already, working in cafes and similar. Anyone know of anything similar locally and out of interest, what chances do you think it would have have working out? Just a hobby really but fun...

Edited by shoeless1963

• 3 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure that the venue you describe is the one that lies one road back from the 21 in the centre of town. Basically, go across from the main lights and its a very, very small semi-open air restaurant that sits on the next road, parallel to the 21, in the centre of town. That is why it looks like it is in an alley-way. As far as Phetchabun goes, I think its actually a great little place and 'Jackie' is a proper chef, not a pratt in a hat. He's apparently married to a local lady which is why he is here and about to move across out to Nong Naree. Well worth the visit... not quite aussie steak but the mashed potato is 1) mashed and 2) potato which works for me. Enjoy!

Me

ps: I've been toying with the idea of opening a small farang oriented restaurant locally myself. It'd be called 'Falang' (original, huh?) and would just do some basic Western food. My wife's family are great cooks and some of her aunts are in Europe with Western husbands already, working in cafes and similar. Anyone know of anything similar locally and out of interest, what chances do you think it would have have working out? Just a hobby really but fun...

maybe can get together and discuss partner if you want .pm me if interested no worries

Revgreen the only yanks in phetch work as teachers, all the expats here are older english, Aussies or Euro's. But good luck

Yeah a big group of the American teachers have been meeting up to play, just wasn't sure if there was any more around.

No. There isn't any more around. You could wait for the yearly morman freaks to come around. But I suspect you would also like to smack the living day lights out of them as well

I need an explanation? Mormons? In Phetchabun? How/when/where/why?

Revgreen the only yanks in phetch work as teachers, all the expats here are older english, Aussies or Euro's. But good luck

Yeah a big group of the American teachers have been meeting up to play, just wasn't sure if there was any more around.

Steady, there are 4 Americans in the golf gang. Older I agree.