Koh Samui prison chief fears Koh Tao murder suspects may commit suicide

webfact

Prison Chief Fears Koh Tao Suspects May Commit Suicide
By Khaosod English

14128593231412859560l.jpg
Police press conference about the arrest of the Koh Tao suspects on 7 Oct 2014

SURAT THANI — The two Burmese men who were accused of murdering two British tourists in southern Thailand last month are being monitored to prevent possible suicide attempts, says the director of the prison where they are being held.

"I have instructed other inmates to monitor the two Burmese men. I am afraid they may commit suicide, because they show signs of stress," said Chanin Liangsuwan, chief of Koh Samui District Prison. "They may be feeling guilty for the crime they have done."

The two Burmese men, identified as Saw and Win, were arrested last week and accused of killing David Miller, 24, and Hannah Witheridge, 23, on the island of Koh Tao on 15 September. They have been charged with premeditated murder, among other crimes, and could face execution.

According to Chanin, the two suspects are being held in a general holding cell with other inmates, but he stressed that wardens are doing their best to keep the suspects under watch.

Witthaya Suriyawong, director of the Department of Corrections, said he has instructed officials at Koh Samui Prison to be extremely mindful of the two suspects' safety.

"They are a special case because they are charged with a serious crime, which carries a high penalty," Witthaya said. "Even the food they eat has to be checked thoroughly to prevent any incident. I also want officials to set up CCTVs and guards to monitor their safety when they sleep."

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1412859323&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-10-10

• Like 2

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, this is not going to end well.

Due to the high profile nature of this case, these two need to be placed in a single-cell status away from the GP with 24-hour cctv.

IMHO, they are safer with other inmates around, though the danger of a planted assassin cannot be ruled out. In a cell by themselves, it is more probable that they will be found hung and there will be problems with the CCTV tape.

I would think it much easier to explain the actions of a "rogue" inmate killing them in the general prison population than to explain how they hanged themselves under 24-hour guard in isolation.

Yes.... murdered by two other 'migrant workers' who were then shot dead by the guards.

Why do I have a very disturbed feeling in my gut here?

Paranoia ,I get that feeling after too much wackbacky.

• Like 2

Yeah - police would like that, problem solved.

As much as everyone else, i feel sorry for the families left behind, they will NEVER get the real truth....never. And most of us living here, feel angry because of the very very sloppy investigation, or lack of - no matter the reason.

But the worst thing....those two young kids, working hard all day long, far far from home, hopping for a better future, working HARD for peanuts - ending up framed like this sad.png

This is really a case where, the new "government" could show that they mean business. Arrest the slave dealer(translator), no bail, convict, prison time! Arrest the police for making false work permits, around MOL, no bail, convict, prison time. Check those Puu'Yai's bars and business's - do they pay tax? Vat? Is other things in order...arrests, no bail, convict, prison time!

This case is NEVER going to get solved, but send a message, to those bandits on those Islands, that they are NOT "untouchable"......

I wish your dreams come to be true but i doubt it,so sorry

They are untouchable because the prosecuters on the payroll

• Like 2