Samui wants Pattaya-like city status

Lite Beer

Samui wants Pattaya-like city status

KOH SAMUI: Koh Samui's mayor and tourism operators are welcoming moves by the government to press ahead with a bill that will give the Surat Thani island 'special town' status, similar to Pattaya. Mayor Ramnet Jaikwang said yesterday that he backed efforts to give the island special local administration status, which he said would help locals.

The bill has been undergoing studies and public hearings among locals for more than 10 years and the special local administration can be pressed ahead with immediately because the people of Koh Samui are fully behind the move, Mr Ramnet said.

Locals want full decentralization of power so the local administration can manage all operations on the island, the mayor said.

"Currently, the local administration has to report back to the provincial office on everything, including urgent procurements," Mr Ramnet said.

"The local body should be able to have the last say because the National Anti-Corruption Commission and Office of the Auditor-General still examine its decisions."

Seni Puwasetthavorn, president of the Tourism Promotion Association on Koh Samui, said it is possible for the island to be turned into a special town immediately because residents and business operators back the plan.

"It would be beneficial to tourism and other developments on Koh Samui as the island has lots of potential and can support itself," Mr Seni said.

"Street lights and Department of Highways signs on roads encircling the island have been left dilapidated.

"If the special town is established, this is the sort of problem we can take care of ourselves."
The bill on the island's special status is set to be submitted to the National Legislative Assembly along with similar bills for Mae Sot district in Tak and Laem Chabang municipality of Chon Buri, Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam said on Wednesday.

Meanwhile, Tak governor Somchai Hathayatanti said yesterday Mae Sot has the potential to be both a special local administration and a special economic zone as border trade there amounts to between 5.4-5.8 billion baht a month.

When the Asean Economic Community is formed next year, the zone is likely to bring in more revenue, Mr Somchai said.

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-10-10

"Street lights and Department of Highways signs on roads encircling the island have been left dilapidated."

In other words, let us take full control of the revenues, so we can make our pockets fatter and may be we will have some money left to improve Samui.

• Like 2

I thought that this was granted years ago ?

Never noticed that Samui has a special status?

Its a normal district (amphoe) a part of and under supervision of the provincial administration of Surat Thani.

The city of Samui has the status of a Thesaban Nakhon (Thai: เทศบาลนคร), kind of "major city".

But what is requested here is more than that and gives more self-government.

So far only Bangkok and Pattaya have such a special status.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

There was an in depth discussion about this a couple of years back when we reached a population of over 50,000. Limbos is in the know & a couple of other members posted very good articles & links. will try & search archives.

• Like 1

Locals want full decentralization of power so the local administration can manage all operations on the island, the mayor said.

Yes, that's what the locals want. This decentralized power will then go to the mayor, another local, who wants that. Creating more 'powerful local people' who can do as they please. Go ahead then.

Yes, that's what the locals want. This decentralized power will then go to the mayor, another local, who wants that. Creating more 'powerful local people' who can do as they please. Go ahead then.

Local people managing a greater share of their own finances rather than money going into a bottomless central pot makes sense to me smile.png

Phuket has been trying to get it for years so they can keep more tax money on the island instead of sending it to Bangkok.

Of course whoever doles out the money gets the biggest kickbacks so special status is very difficult to achieve. Those

in BKK want the money control and those in Phuket want to wrestle it from them.

Why does Pattaya have the stutus of " City " ? - I think it is only a town.

Surely, to have the status of " City " there has to be either a Cathederal OR a University within the city boundary limits, and to the best of my knowledge , Pattaya has neither.

Surely, to have the status of " City " there has to be either a Cathederal OR a University within the city boundary limits, and to the best of my knowledge , Pattaya has neither.

I guess that you're making some sort of jokey reference to the UK.

The requirement that a town had to have an Anglican Cathedral in order to become a city ended in 1889. This is when Birmingham was made a city; its Anglican Cathedral dates from 1905. There never was a requirement that there had to be, as an alternative, a university in the town for it to achieve city status. In any event, Birmingham Uni dates from 1900.

If you want further information then click HERE

A cathedral in Thailand????

Did you miss something?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pattaya#Administration

Pattaya ... is a city in Thailand, ... within, but not part of, Amphoe Bang Lamung (Banglamung) in the province of Chonburi. Administration

Pattaya city has been administered under a special autonomous system since 1978. It has a status comparable to a municipality and is separately administered by the mayor of Pattaya city who is responsible for making policies, organizing public services, and supervising the employees of Pattaya city's workforce.

Pattaya HAS a special status.

Its area includes parts of three different subdistricts (tambon) within the district of Banglamung.

Thats a unique construct within Thailand.