Bangkok Police defend 'anti-bribery' cash reward

webfact

I don't quite get your last sentence. Alcohol sales are not restricted pretty much anywhere in the world. It is individual responsibility to consume measures one can handle WHEN NOT DRIVING, and not consume when one does drive, or how much one consumes with a meal and does not, etc. You would condone going back to black-market sales, because of lessened legal sales? FFSs you must be 90 years old, and from Chicago??

Sorry if my sentence was unclear. By the way I'm in my 50s and I'm French (which qualifies me for heavy drinking and rule breaking, I guess). I don't condone drunk driving. My mention of alcohol was unrelated to the previous topic (driving offenses) but just an example about e.g. the selling hours. Where I am now (small upcountry place) it's only enforced at the 7/11 and the nearest Lotus. And people are quite happy with this. I can only assume that if this, among other things, was to be strictly enforced, that would piss off many of the locals here.

Furthermore, I'm not judging with my morals in any way. Not my country, not my culture so who I am to tell? I'm only saying that I see a trend towards making Thailand a "righteous" country with extremely strict rules (not new) strictly enforced (that would be new) for all kinds of good morality. Based on what I witness every day when I'm here in this place, I think it's going to be quite a shock for most of my friendly neighbors. I see all the people taking much advantage of the lax enforcement of all kinds of rules on a daily basis. Even petty corruption from your local cop seems to come handy in many cases.

Turning Thailand into something like Singapore isn't going to happen in a day and without a lot of frustration for many, many average Thais who might not be willing to go that far into the Great Leader's planned cultural revolution and will start wondering whether he is the right man after all. I'm not even talking about democracy here.

Oh, and about this anti-bribing thing: I've also been told by one of my Thai pals here here that bribing would still take place, but behind closed doors at the police station. And because this would presumably involve somewhat higher-ranked cops, the prices are going to skyrocket.

Edited by Lannig
  • Like 2

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me, or has the level of bizarre nonsensical statements emanating from the Thai authorities exploded since the supposed leap into a new realm of happiness a few months back? It's like the "think before you speak" meme has been abolished in Thai officialdom.

That started with yingluck.

I guess it's important for you to believe that, but no, it's reached a nonsensical epidemic of recent.

Nope. I recall her speeches and the debacle she caused when she promised an extension on registering illegal Burmese workers in Thailand while on an official tour of Burma, without telling anyone she was going to do so.

The woman was a walking catastrophe that gave airheads a bad name.

Edit: on reflection it may have been Cambodian workers and an official tour of Cambodia, either way it was a balls up of major proportions.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 2

Yeap!! pay them more money (bribe) to their job that they already get paid to do. I think the reason is that they make money by charging the bribee 20k and pay half back and keep the other half

Edited by givenall

That started with yingluck.

I guess it's important for you to believe that, but no, it's reached a nonsensical epidemic of recent.

Nope. I recall her speeches and the debacle she caused when she promised an extension on registering illegal Burmese workers in Thailand while on an official tour of Burma, without telling anyone she was going to do so.

The woman was a walking catastrophe that gave airheads a bad name.

Edit: on reflection it may have been Cambodian workers and an official tour of Cambodia, either way it was a balls up of major proportions.

IIRC during the 2011 election campaign the PTP promise was B15,000/t until she upped to B20,000 at a rally. PTP initially denied it and then backed the new figure. See a riceburg ahead and go to ramming speed.

The idea is stupid for sure. But for those people who take it as an opportunity to take part in some Thai bashing, please take note they probably copied this idea from our neighbors in the South who implemented this earlier this year also.

Two ridiculous ideas do not make a sane one. It has nothing to do with "Thai bashing".

Indeed, but the thin skinned Thai apologists reach for their keyboards before they even finish reading the reply. Who are these apologists ?

If I were a corrupt cop, I would have a friend try to bribe me, then I would arrest him and split the 10,000 baht with him. And if a saint like me could figure this out, don't you think a crooked cop will too?

The trouble with saints is they're not too bright when trying to work with criminal ideas.

As this bonus for the police has been withdrawn already it's academic anyway, but you're forgetting to factor into your plan the 10,000 baht fine and/or 5 years imprisonment your mate will be stuck with for attempting to bribe a police officer. And the fine for the offence committed that led him to offering the bribe in the first place. Not to mention the criminal record.

Edited by Sviss Geez

Well, a touch of sanity I'd say.

They might have realized that having to shell out 10K for every bribing attempt would soon throw the country into deep budget deficit whistling.gif

They could have figured it out before attempting this lame PR stunt, though.

• Like 1

Here you go men. In addition to collecting your normal tea money you can get a whopping 10k baht should you feel insulted by the bribe offered. We don't need to actually severely punish the coppers caught in the act, no. Reward them!

My opinion of Thai police has Never Been very high. But recently between this and the koh tao debacle it couldn't sink any lower. I hope the Thai populace continue to late them. Bribes to prevent other bribes. TIT.

Very good point.

Now we have to be concerned if any proffered cash will be deemed insufficient and give them an opportunity to go for the 10k.

Hence all roadside payments will be lifted....... very cunning.

I agree that the traffic police should receive no reward as this is supposed to be their job anyway. However, it is a start in stopping corruption. All they have to do is gradually reduce the amount over time.

It would now appear that those who intend to bribe an officer will need to offer more than B10,000 to make it worthwhile for the policeman!

The idea is stupid for sure. But for those people who take it as an opportunity to take part in some Thai bashing, please take note they probably copied this idea from our neighbors in the South who implemented this earlier this year also.

It's not "Thai" bashing, it's simply "stupidity" bashing . . . I'm surprised the Thai's themselves aren't more vocal about all this crap going on . . . I guess it got bred out of them.

Reward police officers for not breaking the law.... There is nothing about this that makes any sense...

How about throwing them in the monkey house for a year and loosing their job if they do..... Next they will be paying criminals not to rob people.

That reminds me of a guy who always came to work late. I asked him why ... His comment " they don't pay me extra to come in on time" .... He was serious ... Hahaha

Whats the saying ...As stupid as stupid can get

"Next they will be paying criminals not to rob people."

Do you mean like the people illegally running businesses on Phuket's beaches wanted the government to do?

Or

The reason given by some Thai in Authority some time back not to get rid of the jet ski thugs, because they might commit crimes.....

• Like 1

Wondering how long they can finance the 10000 THB reward? So after the rice scandal we will have a anti-bribery scandal soon? [emoji1] And no I am sure not any one will misuses the new system ... Really wonder where all the great new ideas come from. There must be a new oracle some where!! First the medicine against Ebola, the world next fashion metropole, the new Tour de France location, eat rice and no bread, stop bribery with rewards. What's next? I am sure Thai airways will invent the airplane!!

As can be seen with the majority of actions taken in this country they continue to overlook the cause and try to deal with the effect. It is a known and given that the solicitation for bribes starts with the RTP as a base principal of their very existence and has done for a very long long time to the point that it is a cultural norm for the public to offer cash in order to defuse the situation. To reward the RTP in any manner is not only in itself a corrupt practice, it is immoral and will undoubtedly lead to further manipulation owing to the large sum on offer. Sheer madness.

• Like 1

Is it just me, or has the level of bizarre nonsensical statements emanating from the Thai authorities exploded since the supposed leap into a new realm of happiness a few months back? It's like the "think before you speak" meme has been abolished in Thai officialdom.

I don't think 'Think before you speak" has ever applied to Thailand.