Toilet Breaks

Do you efl teachers have the same problem as me? In many of my classes one of my students will raise his hand and say 'May I go to the toilet please?' As soon as I allow it, a classmate will suddenly decide they want to go too. Is it normal Thai behavior for students to go in pairs all the time?

I usually let them go individually so that when one gets back, his classmate can go. This makes them really angry and it seems I am being difficult. In the eyes of the Thais have I broken a social taboo by incorporating this tag team approach to going to the loo?

A lot of the time when I suggest that they go one at a time they get annoyed, stamp their feet and say 'forget it! I don't wanna go no more.' Why is it necessary to go in two or three?

Do you efl teachers have the same problem as me? In many of my classes one of my students will raise his hand and say 'May I go to the toilet please?' As soon as I allow it, a classmate will suddenly decide they want to go too. Is it normal Thai behavior for students to go in pairs all the time?

I usually let them go individually so that when one gets back, his classmate can go. This makes them really angry and it seems I am being difficult. In the eyes of the Thais have I broken a social taboo by incorporating this tag team approach to going to the loo?

A lot of the time when I suggest that they go one at a time they get annoyed, stamp their feet and say 'forget it! I don't wanna go no more.' Why is it necessary to go in two or three?

How old are your students?

It was common in both of the matayom schools I taught, and the commercial college. The girls go together, ladyboys go together (to the lady's toilet if they can), and I think the straight boys also went in pairs.

I'm not sure. I doubt it's protection against violence. I think Thai kids seldom do things alone. They do their homework together (cheating), and their tests together (again, cheating by Western standards, not by Thai cultural and ethical standards). Thais are communal; it's a big village.

I assume it's standard throughout Thailand, but I only taught in the north. It seemed to be so common I let them do it, but only two at a time out of each class.

Are you at an all girls' school? If so... I don't know. :o

It's one of them chick things to go to the toilet together.

I teach at both secondary and tertiary level. Most of them are girls but the boys go to toilet together too. But after peaceblondie's post, things are starting to make sense.

Yeah all things are done in pairs. Culturally speaking, you should let ´em go in pairs. Three, fours, no.

Pairs, okay.

Additionally, if when they study in smaller groups (pairs, threes) they are still gonna "cheat" as mentioned above, but if it´s just a few of them, they might also pick up some info along the way.

Edited by kayo

It's not just a Thai thing - in my experience kids from anywhere do it (primary aged kids, at least) and it's usually an excuse to get out of hard work or that they're bored. I always do the same and make the second one wait until the other gets back.

It was common in both of the matayom schools I taught, and the commercial college. The girls go together, ladyboys go together (to the lady's toilet if they can), and I think the straight boys also went in pairs.

I'm not sure. I doubt it's protection against violence. I think Thai kids seldom do things alone. They do their homework together (cheating), and their tests together (again, cheating by Western standards, not by Thai cultural and ethical standards). Thais are communal; it's a big village.

I assume it's standard throughout Thailand, but I only taught in the north. It seemed to be so common I let them do it, but only two at a time out of each class.

Well, Peaceblondie, I have to agree with you 100% on this one. Not that I am a teacher but our staff (all adults) cannot do something alone and if one goes, the other has to go too. Not necessarily the toilet but other tasks that normally only require one person often get done by two or more.

Also, I found when my husband was a monk for 10 days (yes, I know only 10 :o ) that his mother planned to come and sleep with me as it was expected that I wouldn't want to be alone. (nipped that idea in the bud!)

Yes, kids do stuff together in general in the west too but I think it largely cultural here.

It's not just a Thai thing - in my experience kids from anywhere do it (primary aged kids, at least) and it's usually an excuse to get out of hard work or that they're bored. I always do the same and make the second one wait until the other gets back.

As above.

But in Thailand is even more likely they want to bunk off

I've spent the last 3 months living with Thai people, and their dependence boggles the mind. I remember one time a Thai friend of mine was mad at me because I didn't show up to her house as expected and she "couldn't sleep alone." Now name one act more solitary than sleeping. MAYBE being comatose. But, personally, if I was comatose I would rather have people around, because usually if you're comatose you'll be needing some medical attention, whereas when you are simply sleeping, you generally do not. She had to find somebody else to come over so that she could go to sleep. :o

I've spent the last 3 months living with Thai people, and their dependence boggles the mind. I remember one time a Thai friend of mine was mad at me because I didn't show up to her house as expected and she "couldn't sleep alone." Now name one act more solitary than sleeping. MAYBE being comatose. But, personally, if I was comatose I would rather have people around, because usually if you're comatose you'll be needing some medical attention, whereas when you are simply sleeping, you generally do not. She had to find somebody else to come over so that she could go to sleep. :o

Let's be specific now. It doesn't boggle the mind, it boggles your mind. Your culture values solitude and detachment. That is not something they like here. It is not sanuk. And believe me or not, belief in ghosts and spirits play a big part in not wanted to spend time alone.

I don't let students go together to the bathroom (my students are 10 years old, btw). They complained about it at first, but they got used to it quickly enough. When they used to whine and stomp about it, I'd whine and stomp back. After doing this a few times, they learned that it just doesn't work.

I noticed that the kids also use a bathroom break as an excuse to leave during a subject they don't like (hey, who can blame them.) So, I have them sign out and only allow them to leave the room three times a week, when I teach them 20 hours a week. The kids actually monitor themselves (and each other) and I never had a problem with them breaking this rule and hardly bothered to check the sign out sheet.

As far as the students being afraid of being alone, they never seemed fearful to me. Besides, there is almost always a maid mopping something near the toilets.

I noticed in the west that adult females will go in pairs to the bathroom.

So the custom is not limited to only here in Thailand.

Off the topic but it reminded me of the question of why Thais(childern and adult) of the same sex in general hold hands or arms while walking? :o

The toilet is often used as a pre class hangout as well. This group of M2 girls I once had used to come to class about 20 mins late after hanging out in the ladies' room. My response to this: I simply locked the door and when they showed up, I told them to take a hike!

About the ghost thing, these same girls once ran away from one of their classmates while screaming; all of this was right in the classroom. One of the well behaved kids (an M2 boy) explained to me that these girls thought their classmate was some kind of ghost.

Off the topic but it reminded me of the question of why Thais(childern and adult) of the same sex in general hold hands or arms while walking?

Friends of the same sex holding hands is quite common in Thai society and doesn't indicate homosexuality (in most cases). If a farang man asks a Thai man for directions, the Thai man may well take the farang by the hand and walk him to his destination. For Westerners new to Thailand, this can be quite a shock. On the contrary, couples never held hands in public 30 years ago, but this cultural norm has been relaxed considerably in recent years; especially in big cities. It is now quite common to see husbands/wives or boyfriends/girlfriends holding hands in public.

• 2 weeks later...

from my direct experience ... when i was a student and i wanna go to the loo .. i went in pairs

the reasons

- went out biatchy ..just get bored in class.. cat walk for fun

- hungry .. just told the teacher as i(we) needed to go to the loo , the kosher target was "canteen"