University entrance exam dates

brianp0803

I teach grade 12 calculus

Last year, without warning, classes were canceled or students were occupied preparing for entrance exams or open house or ...

Last week I had 6 students ask for letter of recommendation for Mahidom and needed it that week. Original I said not enough time until 2 very diligent students asked me.

They said they just found out and the deadline is next week.

Are the universities that disorganized or is it the students/school?

Are the dates for entrance exams for the major universities in Bkk known already?

Dates for open houses?

I think there is also some test all seniors take.

It would be great to know these dates for planning.

Typically get 1-2 days notice.

Teaching seniors is difficult become of the many interruptions without much notice.

The school I was teaching at was usually like this also.

When I first started teaching, I would often only find out when the students didn't turn up for class, that they were off for the day/week. Although after being at the school for a while, I got to know some of the Thai staff better, and they would then tell me when they found out. Often they could then tell me a week or two in advance, sometimes a month, or more, in advance.

Admittedly, if I had of been fluent in Thai plus attended all of the meetings/assemblies when I first arrived at the school, then I probably would have known a lot more lol. As often the teachers simply forget that the Farang aren't aware of what's actually said at assemblies/meetings (or sometimes allowed to skip meetings, as they are a waste of time if you don't speak Thai lol).

• Like 1

Sometimes they forget about the foreign teacher.

Occasionally I have seen posters around the school with dates and ask students or staff.

But I get the impression that the staff is not aware in advance of university dates.

Not sure if lack of planning from University or lack of checking by staff.

Maybe the staff learns when many students tell the school they will miss school.

Difficult for foreign teachers to check unless fluent reading Thai.

Off topic but how did you get fluent?

I'm not fluent :-p But I'm currently taking a year off work to study Thai so that I'll be better :)

Also they probably won't know about what the unis are doing as there are soo many unis and they all have different dates for entrance exams etc.

Where I was teaching the staff sometimes mentioned when the entrance exams for the 2-3 most popular unis were, although more often than not I'd have to rely on some of my good students telling me.

• Like 1