INITIALS!

sambum

Why do posters on Thai Visa have the habit of using initials instead of someone's name? I find it very frustrating to read a topic and see a reference to "A" "B" or "C" instead of the actual person. I realise that it may well be to save typing time, but I quote a recent post regarding the ongoing post regarding the murders on Koh Tao:-

New reply to Ensure 'fair probe' for suspects, says Thein Sein

..the just man justices, keeps grace that keeps all his goings graces" G.M.H

Check the family tree and business/political connections that start with a young man W on KT and end with the venerable Suthep. Would you like the link?

Who the heck is "G.M.H" and "W on KT"

I could hazard a guess that "G.M.H" is an author clap2.gif and that "W on KT" means "Working on Koh Tao" sad.png but they are exactly that - guesses. Come on people, stop being lazy, and give us all a chance to know what/who you are talking about!

Just imagine, if you had a user name as "WheredoicomefromWhoamiandWhatiamdoinghere" you would also address him as WWW.

And they do exist those names......don't be surprised.

Completly correct "C"

Is that enough "C"'s for you thumbsup.gif

Just imagine, if you had a user name as "WheredoicomefromWhoamiandWhatiamdoinghere" you would also address him as WWW.

Completly correct "C"

I do get my fair share also.

I've been called

Cost us

Costos

Carlos

Costs

and others......can't remember now.

• Like 1

Completly correct "C"

I do get my fair share also.

I've been called

Cost us

Costos

Carlos

Costs

and others......can't remember now.

I take your point, but I was referring to the actual text within the post, not the user name

Could be Win and the GMT could be General so and so if it's coming from Burma. I agree, naff in this case, but abbreviating is the way of the online world. Guessing you're a newbie, op; you'll get used to it. You'll be putting in FF.S, WT.F, IMHO, IME, AFAIK, YMMV, WYSIWYG et al in no time. wink.png

Could be Win and the GMT could be General so and so if it's coming from Burma. I agree, naff in this case, but abbreviating is the way of the online world. Guessing you're a newbie, op; you'll get used to it. You'll be putting in FF.S, WT.F, IMHO, IME, AFAIK, YMMV, WYSIWYG et al in no time. wink.png

Not a newbie, but as already demonstrated, these abbreviations of NAMES can be very confusing! (F.F.S!)

Almost as bad as posting in ALL CAPS and shouting at people as you have done with your title.

I posted in capital letters to illustrate the point that I would rather see people's proper names used than try to hazard a guess as to who they are from their initials! (That are always in CAPS!)

Good grief this is truly the scum off the bottom of the barrel.

The Bottom ... maybe not ... but you could see it from there.

So, while on the INITIAL thingie ... I cooked a cheats GCC.

The (one day to be) Nephew, who is a fussy eater ... loved it.

Had two bowls even ... licklips.gif

Extra beans in it tonight ... he goes a bit light on his veges.

Still raining @ SP ATM ... TV is OTB

JnB are asleep ... MFG is playing Cow ATM.

I prefer to be sipping a GnT ... but have a Whiskey and Coke ... poor substitute.

So ... to all AaGW

With one or two exceptions, I think most replies to my post have missed the point, and have been a tad sarcastic to say the least! OMG, I was not referring to "txt speak" or abbreviations of phrases <deleted>! I was referring to the fact that when posters use initials instead of someone's name, it can lead to confusion as to the correct identity of that person - please read my post properly before before belittling it!

The thing is, SB, usually the abbreviation is specific to the thread, so everyone who's reading the thread usually knows to whom the poster is referring.

It would baffle everyone if I posted about 'SB's post" in another thread, particularly as "SB" is probably a well-known poster on TV in general.

Most people know JT, UG, maybe NMS and D48 and HJC, but less well known people such as yourself and me, get abbreviated too SM or SS only in the thread in which we are having discourse.

Don't fret it, just follow the thread and "get it".

The thing is, SB, usually the abbreviation is specific to the thread, so everyone who's reading the thread usually knows to whom the poster is referring.

It would baffle everyone if I posted about 'SB's post" in another thread, particularly as "SB" is probably a well-known poster on TV in general.

Most people know JT, UG, maybe NMS and D48 and HJC, but less well known people such as yourself and me, get abbreviated too SM or SS only in the thread in which we are having discourse.

I agree that by following the thread, you can usually get to know to whom the poster/replies is/are referring, but for instance I have been following the thread, and I still don't know for sure who " W on KT" or G.M.H" are! If the poster applied the method of "initially" using the full name, and any subsequent reusing of that name in an initial in brackets then we would all know who or what he was referring to e.g. Win (W) on Koh Tao (KT) By the way, any ideas on G.M.H - George Hemingway perhaps? Or Grievous Mental Harm?

P.S. I like your poetic last line! smile.png

SB i sughest you look at TGAU and GERU. The WSAS will help you

MRT - I suggest you use a SC and GC next time you post a comment!

SC would be chortling with glee if he had a work trip to the GC.

Maybe an opportunity to take a ride on one of the new Bombardiers.

I agree that by following the thread, you can usually get to know to whom the poster/replies is/are referring, but for instance I have been following the thread, and I still don't know for sure who " W on KT" or G.M.H" are! If the poster applied the method of "initially" using the full name, and any subsequent reusing of that name in an initial in brackets then we would all know who or what he was referring to e.g. Win (W) on Koh Tao (KT) By the way, any ideas on G.M.H - George Hemingway perhaps? Or Grievous Mental Harm?

P.S. I like your poetic last line! smile.png

Let me guess...You're British?

SB i sughest you look at TGAU and GERU. The WSAS will help you

MRT - I suggest you use a SC and GC next time you post a comment!

SC would be chortling with glee if he had a work trip to the GC.

Maybe an opportunity to take a ride on one of the new Bombardiers.

My mate Z bin AR worked on them - in the tender phase only
  • Like 1