BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
sup3r1or

Waver letter for satit (demonstration school) at Uni required?

Hi

I was working at school on my 1st waver letter, 1.5 years out of 2. Then moved to a new school and got 2 years waver again however we were all booted out of the school only after 3 months. Now I got a job at the university there is a demonstration school on the uni grounds. Its fully managed by university. Now they want to apply for waver letter, yet every single person who is working at another satit school or worked before at one says there is no need for khuru sapa waver letter because its managed by university. Am I missing something? Or does it depends on each case differently ?

I'm guessing you mean you are lecturing at a Thai university.

Right now foreigners teaching at Thai universities do not need a Thai teaching license.

But I understand (third hand information) there is talk that it might be needed in the future. (When? Who knows.)

But this is complicated because Thai universities are now under pressure to offer 'International Programs', which means taught in English. This also means pressure on Thai universities to get international students into those programs.

To make that picture attractive many Thai universities engage numerous offshore professors to come to Thailand to teach one course only, and in some cases never return, or teach the same course once every year.

This brings up the puzzle: 'is it workable / valid to insist that invited offshore professors (just here for one course) need a Thai teaching license'.

We wait and see.

Depends on whether the demonstrations school is registered as separate entity or as 'faculty' of the university. An easy check is to look at your employment contract. Who's the employer?

If it operates under the Office of Basic Information, OBE, I think it is called, then you would need a waiver. That is my understanding, but we do have posters who may have more comprehensive knowledge in this area.

The need for a Teacher's License has to do with the jurisdiction under which the school is approved.

Not I do wont be lecturing at a Thai university I think. Basically a uni has a demonstration school satit school Matthayom 1-6. On the contract I believe is the university.

In Any case do you think it is possible to get 3rd waver? I really want to do this course Thai Culture and Teacher License test. Last time I tried to take it in CM it was cancelled because there wasn't enough students enrolled.

Why I ask about 3 waver is because 1st one I used 1.5 years out of 2. Second one 3 months out of 2 years but I obviously can't use the same letter, plus I dont think school informed TCT that I'm no longer working here.

P.S IF it helps I graduated from International Program at a Thai university, but its not teaching degree.

Edited by sup3r1or

If it operates under the Office of Basic Information, OBE, I think it is called,

Office of the Basic Education Commission - OBEC.

Thanks, and I wrote that without even having had any alcohol in my system!

• Like 2

Any clues about 3rd letter in my situation? I really hope for one as last one I only had for 3 months:( Will do course straight away as soon as it is announced. Why all these flipping headaches?

It has been reported that 3rd provisional teaching permits will only be issued when you stay at the same school and prove that you're trying to meet the requirements to get licensed.

• Like 1

That sucks. Not easy to stay at the same school. But indo try to get that course done. In chiang mai only cm uni and payap uni does then but their websites has not been updated since 2013

Currently no Cultural and Ethics courses are being giving. This year the TCT organized hem themselves and now the wait it still new rules are worked out and come into effect. That should include a change of the Cultural course.

One has to wait until next year.

Currently no Cultural and Ethics courses are being giving. This year the TCT organized hem themselves and now the wait it still new rules are worked out and come into effect. That should include a change of the Cultural course.

Yep. That's right. Permission to conduct the Thai Culture Course by universities and companies has been revoked. The 2 or 3 batches this year were conducted by/ on behalf of the TCT. Unlikely they will conduct new courses this year. It's believed the content of the course will change. So will the number of hours and the costs.

Not I do wont be lecturing at a Thai university I think. Basically a uni has a demonstration school satit school Matthayom 1-6. On the contract I believe is the university.

In Any case do you think it is possible to get 3rd waver? I really want to do this course Thai Culture and Teacher License test. Last time I tried to take it in CM it was cancelled because there wasn't enough students enrolled.

Why I ask about 3 waver is because 1st one I used 1.5 years out of 2. Second one 3 months out of 2 years but I obviously can't use the same letter, plus I dont think school informed TCT that I'm no longer working here.

P.S IF it helps I graduated from International Program at a Thai university, but its not teaching degree.

Sorry, what's a satit school? The school doesn't have to inform the TCT, if you're working there anymore, or not.

It seems TCT are restructuring quite a few things and I would just wait and see.

It doesn't matter if you'd only worked three days at this school, the provisional TL was issued,

Basically, a uni has a demonstration school satit school Matthayom 1-6? On the contract you believe is the university?

Are you a native speaker of English? I'm only asking, because if not, you'll need a TOEIC examination as well.

Most Matthajom schools are under the jurisdiction of OBEC. Then you'll need a provisional TL.

You wrote that your degree is from an International program of a Thai university. Please try if they're running courses in education. You might be able to get some credits to "upgrade" your existing degree into one in education.

Then you'd only have to apply for a 5 year TL. Good luck.

Yep. That's right. Permission to conduct the Thai Culture Course by universities and companies has been revoked. The 2 or 3 batches this year were conducted by/ on behalf of the TCT. Unlikely they will conduct new courses this year. It's believed the content of the course will change. So will the number of hours and the costs.

The "rule" that all foreigners who started teaching in 2004 is pretty unfair to me. I started four months too late, otherwise I'd already be grandfathered and people could call me "Lung Mike."

Thanks, and I wrote that without even having had any alcohol in my system!

Which could have been the reason for not functioning 100 %. Prost.coffee1.gif

• Like 1