Waver letter for satit (demonstration school) at Uni required?

sup3r1or

Hi

I was working at school on my 1st waver letter, 1.5 years out of 2. Then moved to a new school and got 2 years waver again however we were all booted out of the school only after 3 months. Now I got a job at the university there is a demonstration school on the uni grounds. Its fully managed by university. Now they want to apply for waver letter, yet every single person who is working at another satit school or worked before at one says there is no need for khuru sapa waver letter because its managed by university. Am I missing something? Or does it depends on each case differently ?

I'm guessing you mean you are lecturing at a Thai university.

Right now foreigners teaching at Thai universities do not need a Thai teaching license.

But I understand (third hand information) there is talk that it might be needed in the future. (When? Who knows.)

But this is complicated because Thai universities are now under pressure to offer 'International Programs', which means taught in English. This also means pressure on Thai universities to get international students into those programs.

To make that picture attractive many Thai universities engage numerous offshore professors to come to Thailand to teach one course only, and in some cases never return, or teach the same course once every year.

This brings up the puzzle: 'is it workable / valid to insist that invited offshore professors (just here for one course) need a Thai teaching license'.

We wait and see.

If it operates under the Office of Basic Information, OBE, I think it is called, then you would need a waiver. That is my understanding, but we do have posters who may have more comprehensive knowledge in this area.

The need for a Teacher's License has to do with the jurisdiction under which the school is approved.

Not I do wont be lecturing at a Thai university I think. Basically a uni has a demonstration school satit school Matthayom 1-6. On the contract I believe is the university.

In Any case do you think it is possible to get 3rd waver? I really want to do this course Thai Culture and Teacher License test. Last time I tried to take it in CM it was cancelled because there wasn't enough students enrolled.

Why I ask about 3 waver is because 1st one I used 1.5 years out of 2. Second one 3 months out of 2 years but I obviously can't use the same letter, plus I dont think school informed TCT that I'm no longer working here.

P.S IF it helps I graduated from International Program at a Thai university, but its not teaching degree.

Edited by sup3r1or

Currently no Cultural and Ethics courses are being giving. This year the TCT organized hem themselves and now the wait it still new rules are worked out and come into effect. That should include a change of the Cultural course.

One has to wait until next year.

Currently no Cultural and Ethics courses are being giving. This year the TCT organized hem themselves and now the wait it still new rules are worked out and come into effect. That should include a change of the Cultural course.

Yep. That's right. Permission to conduct the Thai Culture Course by universities and companies has been revoked. The 2 or 3 batches this year were conducted by/ on behalf of the TCT. Unlikely they will conduct new courses this year. It's believed the content of the course will change. So will the number of hours and the costs.

Not I do wont be lecturing at a Thai university I think. Basically a uni has a demonstration school satit school Matthayom 1-6. On the contract I believe is the university.

In Any case do you think it is possible to get 3rd waver? I really want to do this course Thai Culture and Teacher License test. Last time I tried to take it in CM it was cancelled because there wasn't enough students enrolled.

Why I ask about 3 waver is because 1st one I used 1.5 years out of 2. Second one 3 months out of 2 years but I obviously can't use the same letter, plus I dont think school informed TCT that I'm no longer working here.

P.S IF it helps I graduated from International Program at a Thai university, but its not teaching degree.

Sorry, what's a satit school? The school doesn't have to inform the TCT, if you're working there anymore, or not.

It seems TCT are restructuring quite a few things and I would just wait and see.

It doesn't matter if you'd only worked three days at this school, the provisional TL was issued,

Basically, a uni has a demonstration school satit school Matthayom 1-6? On the contract you believe is the university?

Are you a native speaker of English? I'm only asking, because if not, you'll need a TOEIC examination as well.

Most Matthajom schools are under the jurisdiction of OBEC. Then you'll need a provisional TL.

You wrote that your degree is from an International program of a Thai university. Please try if they're running courses in education. You might be able to get some credits to "upgrade" your existing degree into one in education.

Then you'd only have to apply for a 5 year TL. Good luck.

Yep. That's right. Permission to conduct the Thai Culture Course by universities and companies has been revoked. The 2 or 3 batches this year were conducted by/ on behalf of the TCT. Unlikely they will conduct new courses this year. It's believed the content of the course will change. So will the number of hours and the costs.

The "rule" that all foreigners who started teaching in 2004 is pretty unfair to me. I started four months too late, otherwise I'd already be grandfathered and people could call me "Lung Mike."

Sorry, what's a satit school? The school doesn't have to inform the TCT, if you're working there anymore, or not.

It seems TCT are restructuring quite a few things and I would just wait and see.

It doesn't matter if you'd only worked three days at this school, the provisional TL was issued,

Basically, a uni has a demonstration school satit school Matthayom 1-6? On the contract you believe is the university?

Are you a native speaker of English? I'm only asking, because if not, you'll need a TOEIC examination as well.

Most Matthajom schools are under the jurisdiction of OBEC. Then you'll need a provisional TL.

You wrote that your degree is from an International program of a Thai university. Please try if they're running courses in education. You might be able to get some credits to "upgrade" your existing degree into one in education.

Yes basically its a university and they have demonstration school that is on the campus. They teach matthayom 1-6. I still waiting for my copy of contract but I signed it already. If not mistaken the contract was made between me and another name of Thai person who is I believe Dean of University.

No, I'm not a native speaker, but I did my TOEIC test about 1.5 years ago scored 970 ( are those valid for 2 years?). Some native speakers can get away without teacher licences at many school which is weird. I have worked with some who don't even know how to spell words properly.

Yes my degree is from International program at Thai university but it is in Mass Communication not education or English. I was looking into that BUT it's quite expensive and I don't have money for it now after my recent surgery. I'm trying to get up at running, this job is very important for me because my wife works in the same university as a lecturer, we have lived apart driving back and fourth for ages already. It would be nice to finally be in the same place.

I remember reading Bangkok post, some proposed to scrap teacher's licence all together because they see a lot of teachers leaving to other Asian and SE Asean countries. However that never materialized. They wonder why they are loosing teachers? why make things so damn complicated and unfair? Besides salaries seems to have been on the same level for over 10 years.

I also understand about what you said in regards it doesn't matter if it was only 3 days since waver was given. We had issue at our school when a Mayor of the city hired some Pakistani woman to transform our rural school into something they say on a visit in BKK where students pay several 100k a semester. She had no experience in teaching or ever working at a school. We were given tasks like pretty much copy and re-write curriculum from another school, then a day notice given to prepare stacks of papers for evaluation. Month later we were given bogus scores for our evaluation and let go. Out of 12 teachers I believe 10 were let go. The other 2 are not English teachers.

Yes basically its a university and they have demonstration school that is on the campus. They teach matthayom 1-6. I still waiting for my copy of contract but I signed it already. If not mistaken the contract was made between me and another name of Thai person who is I believe Dean of University.

No, I'm not a native speaker, but I did my TOEIC test about 1.5 years ago scored 970 ( are those valid for 2 years?). Some native speakers can get away without teacher licences at many school which is weird. I have worked with some who don't even know how to spell words properly.

Yes my degree is from International program at Thai university but it is in Mass Communication not education or English. I was looking into that BUT it's quite expensive and I don't have money for it now after my recent surgery. I'm trying to get up at running, this job is very important for me because my wife works in the same university as a lecturer, we have lived apart driving back and fourth for ages already. It would be nice to finally be in the same place.

I remember reading Bangkok post, some proposed to scrap teacher's licence all together because they see a lot of teachers leaving to other Asian and SE Asean countries. However that never materialized. They wonder why they are loosing teachers? why make things so damn complicated and unfair? Besides salaries seems to have been on the same level for over 10 years.

I also understand about what you said in regards it doesn't matter if it was only 3 days since waver was given. We had issue at our school when a Mayor of the city hired some Pakistani woman to transform our rural school into something they say on a visit in BKK where students pay several 100k a semester. She had no experience in teaching or ever working at a school. We were given tasks like pretty much copy and re-write curriculum from another school, then a day notice given to prepare stacks of papers for evaluation. Month later we were given bogus scores for our evaluation and let go. Out of 12 teachers I believe 10 were let go. The other 2 are not English teachers.

I’ve never heard of a M.1-6 school on a university campus before, sorry. I apologize and don’t want to sound impertinent, but how can you not know with whom you’d signed a contract?

Waiting for a copy could take a year, or it will never happen. Why didn't you tell them that you needed one as well? Wasn't it about you?

And your wife is really a lecturer at this universal university? C'Mon.

Your TOEIC is only good for two years, then you’ll have to do one again. But to be perfectly honest with you. I had a similar score, but it means nothing, as the test is so easy. Too easy and it doesn't show anybody’s ability in writing, or speaking.

How can you ask how long it’s valid, when it’s even written on the certificate?

It seems that this test will be replaced by CEFR, please try to score C2. Here’s the link: Equivalent to a TOEIC score you made.

http://www.examenglish.com/CEFR/C2.htm if you pass C 2 level, then you’re really good in English.

I had to prepare some Thai English teachers to pass level B 1, as our school director wants all Thai English teachers to enhance their English skills until they pass C 2.

You had a recent surgery. Wow. And no insurance?

Sorry, but if that’s true that you had to pay it out of your own pocket, it’s your own fault. (Assuming you’re still young).No insurance living and working here?

If the job is as important to you, as you wouldn't have to go back and FORTH anymore and live together seems to be a good reason to me.

But if your wife’s really a lecturer and I’d think she’s Thai, why can’t she help you to find out what you’re here asking for?

Your statement that you've worked with people who couldn't even spell properly, sounds very fishy to me when I read your posts.

How do you spell the opposite of credible? There’re plenty of great teachers who aren't good spellers.

And? What's your point? That you're a good speller, or what:?

You had issues when a major hired “some Pakistani woman”?

Your last chapter is really strange and written that it's absolutely not to understand.

Did they change your Baan Nok School into a “World class Pakistani School?”

You were given tasks like pretty much copy and rewrite curriculum from another school?

Prepare stacks of paper for evaluation. Month later? (Only one?) You were given “bogus” score?

You imply that the Pakistani woman (only one) had ripped you off and changed your well written evaluation into something that wasn't suitable for whom?

The school, or the Pakistanis?

Finally, when 10 out of 12 teacher were let go and the other two were not English teachers, it seems that you’re one of them who had to go, right?

(Reading between the lines now)

I’d like to give you some advice. Please do not throw bricks, when you’re sitting in a glasshouse.

You’re not making friends now with native English speaking teachers here, who know that the earth isn't flat, nor triangular. --facepalm.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

The teachers license is in the law, and the requirement will in all likelihood never be scraped. I don't think that was even in the article of the BKK-post. In my own dealings with the Teachers Council I know how serious they take improving the quality of teachers and the upholding of the teaching profession.

it is not for nothing that the license is now only for 5 years and not a life time license.

Who is on he contract of the school is irrelevant. you must check if the demonstration school falls under the OBEC or not. If it falls under OBEC, what I suspect, you need a waiver from the teaching license.

The school will now if it falls under the OBEC, that is a simple question for them as then they follow the rules from the OBEC and not the commission for higher education that govern the universities.

• Like 1

The teachers license is in the law, and the requirement will in all likelihood never be scraped. I don't think that was even in the article of the BKK-post. In my own dealings with the Teachers Council I know how serious they take improving the quality of teachers and the upholding of the teaching profession.

it is not for nothing that the license is now only for 5 years and not a life time license.

Who is on he contract of the school is irrelevant. you must check if the demonstration school falls under the OBEC or not. If it falls under OBEC, what I suspect, you need a waiver from the teaching license.

The school will now if it falls under the OBEC, that is a simple question for them as then they follow the rules from the OBEC and not the commission for higher education that govern the universities.

Mario, don't you agree, if his wife's really a lecturer at this university, on which grounds the demonstration school is located, that it would only take one phone call to figure that out?

I hope he doesn't waver, as the opportunity to go back and be only the fourth, will hopefully not make him loose his wife. Best of lock.-facepalm.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

I’ve never heard of a M.1-6 school on a university campus before, sorry. I apologize and don’t want to sound impertinent, but how can you not know with whom you’d signed a contract?

Waiting for a copy could take a year, or it will never happen. Why didn't you tell them that you needed one as well? Wasn't it about you?

And your wife is really a lecturer at this universal university? C'Mon.

Your TOEIC is only good for two years, then you’ll have to do one again. But to be perfectly honest with you. I had a similar score, but it means nothing, as the test is so easy. Too easy and it doesn't show anybody’s ability in writing, or speaking.

How can you ask how long it’s valid, when it’s even written on the certificate?

It seems that this test will be replaced by CEFR, please try to score C2. Here’s the link: Equivalent to a TOEIC score you made.

http://www.examenglish.com/CEFR/C2.htm if you pass C 2 level, then you’re really good in English.

I had to prepare some Thai English teachers to pass level B 1, as our school director wants all Thai English teachers to enhance their English skills until they pass C 2.

You had a recent surgery. Wow. And no insurance?

Sorry, but if that’s true that you had to pay it out of your own pocket, it’s your own fault. (Assuming you’re still young).No insurance living and working here?

If the job is as important to you, as you wouldn't have to go back and FORTH anymore and live together seems to be a good reason to me.

But if your wife’s really a lecturer and I’d think she’s Thai, why can’t she help you to find out what you’re here asking for?

Your statement that you've worked with people who couldn't even spell properly, sounds very fishy to me when I read your posts.

How do you spell the opposite of credible? There’re plenty of great teachers who aren't good spellers.

And? What's your point? That you're a good speller, or what:?

You had issues when a major hired “some Pakistani woman”?

Your last chapter is really strange and written that it's absolutely not to understand.

Did they change your Baan Nok School into a “World class Pakistani School?”

You were given tasks like pretty much copy and rewrite curriculum from another school?

Prepare stacks of paper for evaluation. Month later? (Only one?) You were given “bogus” score?

You imply that the Pakistani woman (only one) had ripped you off and changed your well written evaluation into something that wasn't suitable for whom?

The school, or the Pakistanis?

Finally, when 10 out of 12 teacher were let go and the other two were not English teachers, it seems that you’re one of them who had to go, right?

(Reading between the lines now)

I’d like to give you some advice. Please do not throw bricks, when you’re sitting in a glasshouse.

You’re not making friends now with native English speaking teachers here, who know that the earth isn't flat, nor triangular. --facepalm.gif

Right, let me elaborate for you....Though I really feel like I'm wasting my time explaining to you.

First, I do have insurance. You should not assume one does not have one just because I said I had a surgery and don't have much cash at the moment. Sometimes insurance does not cover fully. Judging people and making assumptions based on their financial situation or their decision making is clearly stupid.

My wife did try to find out, but if you ever worked in a Thai school you know that some people are clueless, often even people at the very top. The last answer we got was, things have changed in the last two years and now all the papers need to go through city government and they do require waver.

Next, I never said that native speakers aren't good teachers. They are the best choice since students can get used to proper accents and pronounciation. However, in regards to what you mentioned earlier, sometimes a person who has spent 20 or more years studying my native laguage is probably better in it than me. Not always obviously but I will happily agree with that. That has nothing to do with what I said earlier.

When I refered to a lady as "some Pakistani" I did not mean in a racist slur by any means. Now if you ever worked in a government school with people surely you encountered some form of racism or unfairness. There were people in our office that were working their ases off around the clock but got paid less than us. They often got remarked by racist comments by Thai co-teachers openly in front of everyone. People being turned down for a job after travelling 2 hours because of their skin color. Some not needing teachers licence only because they come from certain countries? If you haven't seen/heard any of this, then maybe you were lost in Issaan to for too long.

Now in regards to cirriculum, yes we were given to re-write in our own words curriculums from other schools in Bangkok. Bogus scores? Yes, why not? How can anyone get 6/10 In class evaluation by supervisor if he/she never visited any on your classes? How can student evaluation be 3/10, if all the papers on my desk and report from head-office said 92% of my students given 4/5 on evaluation?

Mostly importantly how did some of my fellow co-workers get 0% on evaluation when they have not submited 1 document which was accountable for only 20% of their evaluation. That is by the way, when they were assured in written form that they can still pass.

Anyway we clearly swayed off-topic here.

Back to the issue, I have spoken to one guy who runs teacher agency. He said rumour has it that starting next year there will be only 1 waver given for 5 years. Supposedly during this perioud of time one has to get a degree in education or master's degree. Let's see how it goes. I have been saving for an MBA that is a bit further down the line once my little girl grows up just a bit to make it easier to manage time.

Edited by sup3r1or