BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
mesquite

How to "UnParticipate"?

I keep get notifications in the Participated section of the ios app of all the forums in which I have posted. I would like to not get some of these. Is there any way to unparticipate a forum?

Try checking your Content I Follow and Notification options.

You'll probably need to access your account while logged in on a Web Browser

Click your profile NAME at the top right of the page to access the ThaiVisa Control Panel

Select Content I Follow from the pull-down list

A list of all threads your account follows is listed (may be displayed across multiple pages)

Change them individually one at a time, or

Select "Toggle Edit Options" and select multiple items, then Choose Action at the bottom of page to apply to selection.

You may also wish to review your more general Notification Options

Click your profile NAME at the top of the page to access the ThaiVisa account Control Panel

Select My Settings from the pull-down list

Select Notification Options in the list on the left

review your notification preferences

This 'hint' pla·gia·rized from

george

Posted 2013-03-31 09:11:05

Try to unfollow topic on the desktop version instead:

ThaiVisa Preferences: Content You Follow

• Like 1

1. From what you have posted, I understand that you have selected the option to follow all topics in which you have posted.

post-36859-0-61910700-1413142349_thumb.p

Now you would like to exclude some topics from this global notification rule. This is not possible. However, you can deselect the above option (I believe you cannot do this directly in the app; you have to go to the browser version for this) and subsequently only follow topics which you select individually, one at a time.

2. With a topic open on your screen, you can select to follow it by clicking on "Follow this topic" near the top right of the screen. In the app, you click on the star in the menu bar at the top.

post-36859-0-09808200-1413142798_thumb.p post-21260-0-34021900-1413146018_thumb.p

Left: PC; right: app

3. If later you want to stop following a topic that you previously selected to follow, click on your member name near the top right of the screen, then in the pop-up that opens, click on "Content I follow" and take it from there. In the app, you click on the yellow star in the menu bar at the top.

post-36859-0-85224800-1413143237_thumb.p post-21260-0-89532500-1413146019_thumb.p

Left: PC; right: app

I don't think any of the above applies. I am not following the thread in question. I participated in it and therefore it shows up in the "Participated" section of the ios app. No issue with desktop.

I have checked notification and following options and they are fine.

Now that I think about it, I may just be able to ask a mod to delete my post in that thread which will mean I did not "participate" in it, I think.

I believe the ios app uses the term 'Participated' to mean the same as the WebForum notifications:

Auto follow topics I reply to
replies to followed topics
topics in followed forums

Have you tried, in a web browser, going to those specific Forums or specific Topics/Threads and selecting the button to the right of the Forum or Topic Title

( Unfollow this forum )

( Unfollow this topic )

Edited by RichCor

Also check under My Settings (again via the Web Browser) this setting

post-10213-0-15995800-1413195490_thumb.j

Yes RichCor and MJCM I have done that and the mods have deleted my post, but the thread still shows up in the Participated area of the app. This is usually not a problem because eventually most thread die. This was the "Word Association" thread which will never die.

I notice that the thread and others shows up in the my content area of my profile on the web browser thaivisa. My guess is they take the information for Participated from that. I don't see any way to delete it from that area, though deleting the post should have done that.

In fact, it appears Participated mirrors my Content area exactly. All topics from Content show up in Participated in the exact same order.

Edited by mesquite

ThaiVisa is really just one large relational database, which is used to flag what forums, topics and threads you've posted in so the server software can customize how the page will be rendered when sent to your device. While they can delete (or hide) a post, that doesn't always clear the flag created in the database.

I would suggest you send an email to support[at]thaivisa.com and give them:

Your ThaiVisa member name

Your current issue / request

The name and exact version of the app

The url of the topic or thread that is showing up in your 'Content Area' and 'Participated'

and directions on how to clear these 'participated' flags by yourself in the future

Worth a try.

Sometimes one of the more brilliant system admins can make sense of our ramblings and will do something.

Ignoring it is sometimes the something.

Then report back here, to give us hope.

Not wanting to see a topic title included in the "Participated" list is not sufficient reason to grant a request for the deletion of a post.

If you posted a confession of a murder and now feared for your life at the hands of the victim's relatives, this might be accepted as a good reason to delete your post.

Not wanting to see a topic title included in the "Participated" list is not sufficient reason to grant a request for the deletion of a post.

If you posted a confession of a murder and now feared for your life at the hands of the victim's relatives, this might be accepted as a good reason to delete your post.

Ah, there you go Mesquite.

It is unfortunate that your post in the "Word Association" thread where you "killed it" may continue to anger so many forum readers (as is frequent to happen in that forum) that your very life may now be in danger. They are sure to see themselves as victims and may seek revenge.

OK, I'm having trouble working in the bit about how you might fear their relatives.

Then again, maybe you can use the "Subscribed" rather than "Participated" section.

And stay away from those "Word Association" threads. It never ends well.

The post was deleted but it made no difference.

Edited by mesquite

Yes I'm struggling with this too.

I managed to get to the "Content I follow section" on PC. This lists one thread that I started, and that I have "subscribed" to according to my android app

I can't find anywhere to get a list of the threads I have "participated" in according to my android app on my PC.

None of the above seems to work.

What about uninstalling the app, and re-installing?

Cheers

Fletch :)

• Like 1

Yes I'm struggling with this too.

I managed to get to the "Content I follow section" on PC. This lists one thread that I started, and that I have "subscribed" to according to my android app

I can't find anywhere to get a list of the threads I have "participated" in according to my android app on my PC.

None of the above seems to work.

What about uninstalling the app, and re-installing?

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

ThaiVisa's Server-Side database is used to keep track of a member's unread/read, posted, and followed content, along with notification preferences. Some of these tracked items are automatic and considered 'fixed/hard', while other tracked items are meant be adjusted by the individual member.

The issue the OP is experiencing:

"I keep get notifications in the Participated section of the ios app of all the forums in which I have posted."

Apparently the mobile app is set to issue notifications based on activity/updates made to ALL active ongoing topic/thread the member has ever posted (My Content/Participated) being tracked in the database as an fixed/hard list, instead of the member modifiable list of topic/threads the member has posted in or selected to follow (Content I Follow/Subscribed). Basing the mobile app notifications on this 'Participated' hard list, the mobile app user may receive unwanted notifications from an active ongoing topic/thread from which the user cannot remove themselves.

You can preview these through the ThaiVisa Control Panel

My Content ('Participated' view in mobile app) a 'hard list' containing ALL posts (for the past year)

Content I Follow ('Subscribed' view in mobile app) a 'soft list' containing automated/manually selected posts

Although the lists may seem similar, the first link should list all posts you have made (for the past year), while the second link lists all posts you have made and have elected to follow (via automated or manual selections) and this list can be further modified at any time to include or exclude topic and threads and how notifications are to be made.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the app would have no effect in this particular case on how the mobile app's programming utilized the Thaivisa database.

//note: since I have no direct knowledge of how the mobile app is programmed, all of the above could be wrong and just the ramblings of a deranged mind.

• Like 1

Thanks for taking the time to explain. My issue seems same as OP.

I have only subscribed to one thread on the app. And there's only one listed as followed on PC.

Same as OP I keep getting updates on every thread I ve ever posted. Most are unwanted and I dont want to be bothered with. A few are of interest.

Anyway at least you saved me the time of uninstalling the app and reinstalling.

Cheers

Fletch :)

• Like 2

My situation is that the topics I don't want have all died, except for the Word Association topic. That one is constantly updated so it shows up at the top of the list where the ones I do want to follow show up. The mods did, at my request, delete my post, but the topic still shows up every time someone posts in it. It will never die, but I guess it will fall off one year from the date of my now-deleted post?

The topic has been going for 13 months, and there are over 18,500 replies. I think that works out to about 50 replies per day! So every thirty minutes, on average, it moves to the top of the app.

As I mentioned before, the My Content portion of the web site mirrors the Participated portion of the ios app.

Edited by mesquite
  • Like 1