Tutoring in Thailand

Antoree

Hey guys,

I am wondering something relating to tutuoring in Thailand so I create this topic to get a piece of information from you

Is tutoring popular in Thailand? How much money is a student willing to pay for a tutor?

How about English online teaching and learning?

Hope to hear from you soon.Thanks

• 2 months later...

Unless you have some training or experience in teaching, it's probably best to stay away from tutoring. In addition to the lack of experience, there is the problem of having no other teachers to help you to mentor and or to learn techniques that are useful. A lot of locals think that speaking the language means you can teach it. That isn't always correct.

• Like 1

I keep getting people wanting me to just practice talking English with them. Another lady just asked me to talk with her daughter and work on pronouncing the words correctly.

I think I will give this a try and see how it goes, not sure what to charge per hour though. I was thinking maybe 250 baht.

asking advice on how to break laws and charge for it. Great idea. I hope that you are using your own IP address.

If all you are wanting to do is be a pronunciation puppet, then why are you charging for it. If you are actually improving one's life with proper education, then get a real job.

asking advice on how to break laws and charge for it. Great idea. I hope that you are using your own IP address.

If all you are wanting to do is be a pronunciation puppet, then why are you charging for it. If you are actually improving one's life with proper education, then get a real job.

Please be a little less trollish if you don't want to have your posts removed :)

Tutoring isn't covered by the standard WP which is issued to teachers, unless they tutor at their school (And work within any other specifics on the WP, e.g. If it specifies work hours/duties etc).

Although you can apply for an addition to be made to your WP for another location/duty etc.

But most people don't, as the police generally recognize that it's not harming anyone, is a part time service and while technically against the wording of the law, the intention of many laws is to give the police the power to decide what contravenes the spirit of the law and what doesn't e.g. Opening a fulltime tutoring school would definitely be against the law, while doing 2h a week tutoring your student outside of class wouldn't be.

The above principal is the reason why Police can ask foreign teachers to do English training seminars or tutoring for the police, and likewise why foreign teachers are still allowed to go on school trips & teach at English camps, despite not having a special exemption for working outside of the school grounds.

• Like 1

Interesting article, I've only been here for a little over 4 years, so had never seen it before (it's from almost 8 years ago).

I guess that's a good incentive to not use fake degrees, and I hope I can post a link to that every time I see someone suggest a fake degree from Khaosan Road lol.

• Like 1

Getting a fake degree was common years ago, but it's definitely not a wise idea nowadays. The degrees are scrutinized much more carefully than they were before and there are procedures for verifying degrees in place.

We've been asked on more than one occasion to verify the degrees of existing teachers.

and they let those two Canadians with fake degrees teach.....while they were in prison.

That's news to me.

link please

http://www.scmp.com/article/583825/foreign-teachers-learn-tough-lesson-thai-crackdown

That was a knee-jerk response 8 years ago to the Jon Karr/Jon Bennet Ramsay scandal.

The investigator is quoted in the article as saying "The Canadian got 90 days to make an example - to show foreign teachers using fake documents that we are serious,' he said. 'After the John Mark Karr publicity we are more concerned about the teachers and about protecting our students.".

He was the same policeman who arrested Jon Karr.

The article is full of misinformation regarding visas.

"Last October, the Immigration Police Bureau (IPB) began enforcing a measure limiting tourists to a 90-day limit of stay in the country on successive 'visas-on-arrival'." - what does that mean?

"Many teachers who lacked credentials needed for a one-year visa would leave the country every 30 days to get their passport extended another month," - I think he means visa extensions to allow a stay of 1 year and 30-day visa exemptions. Only your home country can extend a visa.

However, it's not a smart move to ever use faked documents to obtain visa extensions and work permits.