BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
JulieM

Assisted living at Dok Kaew Gardens at McKean

Nancy L. mentioned this place on another thread. I've visited their website but I can't find any pricing information. I'd rather not call them since I am years away from needing this care, but as Nancy L. suggests, we all need to plan ahead.

Does anyone have any idea what the various levels of service cost per month/year?

It started out at about 21,000 baht a month all in. More than likely up around 27,000 now. That is housing and food.

They at one time and maybe still do have a van to take you into the city for shopping once a week.

If you need medical care the price will go up accordingly.

I mainly am posting this as a suggestion to have you go out and talk to them and have a look around the place it is on 50 acres and has walking paths. I am sure Nancy will be along with more accurate details. I was out there looking around shortly after they opened and they hadn't even figured out what kind of TV they were going to get. They have other things to offer now I am sure.

• Like 2

A friend mentioned B40,00 for the best care that is all in 3 meals a day and all essentials provided. A second friend has said she is looking to move there in the years to come.

When Tony Ball lived there post his stroke/heart attack, I know other friends spoke high of the service.

john

o/p give careresort chiangmai a google. a brand new facility for the the retired etc etc

have personally seen the complex ,and its top draw and IMO the best in c/mai by lengths smile.png

and around the same figures as mentioned on this thread,biggrin.png

gosh astounded at a number ( on this thread ) for a massive illness etc etc,....3to 4 mil

sure hope that includes a gold casket,plus the best mattress and silk to rest in peace

• Like 2

The range of service is 32,000 - 45,000 depending on the level of care you need for Dok Kaew assisted living center. If you're planning ahead, remember this doesn't include the cost of medical care. Dok Kaew isn't a hospital and you'll need to set aside money for medical care in the years ahead. I've seen treatment for a stroke/heart attack and other major medical problem cost upwards of 3 - 4 million baht at the private hospitals here in Chiang Mai.

Thanks for the post Nancy. You mentioned the level of care. What kind of care would the 32,000 baht get you. Also are they not associated with a live on your own set up?

evenstevens, it looks very nice and they have a much better website. Still, I find it odd that none of these places clearly outline pricing on their websites. Maybe is varies too much by individual based on need, but I would think there should be a standard rate for an elderly person still very capable of walking/talking/taking care of themselves.

o/p give careresort chiangmai a google. a brand new facility for the the retired etc etc

have personally seen the complex ,and its top draw and IMO the best in c/mai by lengths smile.png

gosh astounded at a number ( on this thread ) for a massive illness etc etc,....3to 4 mil

sure hope that includes a gold casket,plus the best mattress and silk to rest in peace

I googled it and it certainly sounded good. For some reason most of the pictures did not show up. There was enough that you could get an idea of what was there. I could not find any price on it. I will e mail them for more information.

I did not sere the location either. It would certainly be worth a look see. The way things are going now the need for one is a long way off. "I hope" but it would be very useful first hand information to have.

I was wondering how far it would be from public transportation. Probably have to make arrangements with a cab or tuck tuck.

Thank you Nancy for your very informative post on costs and services provided.

john

JulieM -- in this city, an elderly English-speaking retired person who is still capable of walking around/talking/taking care of themselves is living in a rental condo along Huey Kaew, buying groceries every day at either Tops KSK or Rim Ping Maya, playing bridge several times a week at The Pub and going to Pern's for half price wine and the special on Wednesday nights.

In my 14 years here I'm seen plenty of them. Few of them look happy. I think you have also written about how many people here are living lives of quiet desperation. If I can still walk/talk and take care of myself in general at the age of 80 (which shouldn't be a problem) living in one of these facilities sounds a lot better to me than a life in the city going to Tops twice a week.

I googled it and it certainly sounded good. For some reason most of the pictures did not show up. There was enough that you could get an idea of what was there. I could not find any price on it. I will e mail them for more information.

I did not sere the location either. It would certainly be worth a look see. The way things are going now the need for one is a long way off. "I hope" but it would be very useful first hand information to have.

I was wondering how far it would be from public transportation. Probably have to make arrangements with a cab or tuck tuck.

I received a le mail from them today here is part of it.

"Our prices vary depending upon the type of room chosen, occupancy and the amount of care required. Assuming guests are able to bathe and dress themselves staying in a standard villa room (our smallest room: 26 sq metres + 8 sq metre terrace) the prices is 38,000 Baht single occupancy/ 55,000 Baht double occupancy per month. We have a number of different room types with different prices. All villas have en suite bathrooms. Our standard villa may be small for long-term occupancy and the next size up the garden suite (36 sq metres + 8 sq metre terrace) is better and also the choice of most guests, at 45,000 Baht single occupancy; 62,000 double occupancy per month. We also have 2 roomed villas available."

Thanks for that NJ

If someone lives with a partner and is able to bathe and dress themselves, why would they need this facility? Bathing and dressing oneself suggests a good degree of mobility and dexterity. I would think this type of person could go along quite nicely in a condo near downtown for a third or less of that price and a fifth of the double occupancy price.

This type of living will appeal to me at some point, even if I can bathe and dress myself. All meals prepared, laundry done, room cleaned for me,etc. In fact, it's starting to sound good to me now!

JulieM -- in this city, an elderly English-speaking retired person who is still capable of walking around/talking/taking care of themselves is living in a rental condo along Huey Kaew, buying groceries every day at either Tops KSK or Rim Ping Maya, playing bridge several times a week at The Pub and going to Pern's for half price wine and the special on Wednesday nights.

In my 14 years here I'm seen plenty of them. Few of them look happy. I think you have also written about how many people here are living lives of quiet desperation. If I can still walk/talk and take care of myself in general at the age of 80 (which shouldn't be a problem) living in one of these facilities sounds a lot better to me than a life in the city going to Tops twice a week.

With respect Julie, if you can take care of yourself in general at 80, why would your social activity be limited to Tops twice a week? Getting around Chiang Mai is just about as easy as it gets and so cheap. There would be nothing that you couldn't do then that you do now. Bowling and line zipping might be out, but there's still plenty. smile.png

• Like 1