Assisted living at Dok Kaew Gardens at McKean

JulieM

Nancy L. mentioned this place on another thread. I've visited their website but I can't find any pricing information. I'd rather not call them since I am years away from needing this care, but as Nancy L. suggests, we all need to plan ahead.

Does anyone have any idea what the various levels of service cost per month/year?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It started out at about 21,000 baht a month all in. More than likely up around 27,000 now. That is housing and food.

They at one time and maybe still do have a van to take you into the city for shopping once a week.

If you need medical care the price will go up accordingly.

I mainly am posting this as a suggestion to have you go out and talk to them and have a look around the place it is on 50 acres and has walking paths. I am sure Nancy will be along with more accurate details. I was out there looking around shortly after they opened and they hadn't even figured out what kind of TV they were going to get. They have other things to offer now I am sure.

A friend mentioned B40,00 for the best care that is all in 3 meals a day and all essentials provided. A second friend has said she is looking to move there in the years to come.

When Tony Ball lived there post his stroke/heart attack, I know other friends spoke high of the service.

john

The range of service is 32,000 - 45,000 depending on the level of care you need for Dok Kaew assisted living center. If you're planning ahead, remember this doesn't include the cost of medical care. Dok Kaew isn't a hospital and you'll need to set aside money for medical care in the years ahead. I've seen treatment for a stroke/heart attack and other major medical problem cost upwards of 3 - 4 million baht at the private hospitals here in Chiang Mai.

o/p give careresort chiangmai a google. a brand new facility for the the retired etc etc

have personally seen the complex ,and its top draw and IMO the best in c/mai by lengths smile.png

and around the same figures as mentioned on this thread,biggrin.png

gosh astounded at a number ( on this thread ) for a massive illness etc etc,....3to 4 mil

sure hope that includes a gold casket,plus the best mattress and silk to rest in peace

The range of service is 32,000 - 45,000 depending on the level of care you need for Dok Kaew assisted living center. If you're planning ahead, remember this doesn't include the cost of medical care. Dok Kaew isn't a hospital and you'll need to set aside money for medical care in the years ahead. I've seen treatment for a stroke/heart attack and other major medical problem cost upwards of 3 - 4 million baht at the private hospitals here in Chiang Mai.

Thanks for the post Nancy. You mentioned the level of care. What kind of care would the 32,000 baht get you. Also are they not associated with a live on your own set up?

evenstevens, it looks very nice and they have a much better website. Still, I find it odd that none of these places clearly outline pricing on their websites. Maybe is varies too much by individual based on need, but I would think there should be a standard rate for an elderly person still very capable of walking/talking/taking care of themselves.

o/p give careresort chiangmai a google. a brand new facility for the the retired etc etc

have personally seen the complex ,and its top draw and IMO the best in c/mai by lengths smile.png

gosh astounded at a number ( on this thread ) for a massive illness etc etc,....3to 4 mil

sure hope that includes a gold casket,plus the best mattress and silk to rest in peace

I googled it and it certainly sounded good. For some reason most of the pictures did not show up. There was enough that you could get an idea of what was there. I could not find any price on it. I will e mail them for more information.

I did not sere the location either. It would certainly be worth a look see. The way things are going now the need for one is a long way off. "I hope" but it would be very useful first hand information to have.

I was wondering how far it would be from public transportation. Probably have to make arrangements with a cab or tuck tuck.

JulieM -- in this city, an elderly English-speaking retired person who is still capable of walking around/talking/taking care of themselves is living in a rental condo along Huey Kaew, buying groceries every day at either Tops KSK or Rim Ping Maya, playing bridge several times a week at The Pub and going to Pern's for half price wine and the special on Wednesday nights.

NorthernJohn -- for 32,000 baht/month you'll get your own private apartment, about the size of a studio apartment with TV (a basic Truevisions package, which you can upgrade), aircon, nice toilet with full handicap features, assistance with bathing and dressing, laundry services, three western menu meals daily in the communal dining area, supervision of medications, a trip weekly to the Big C, various recreational activities on site, etc. I don't work there and it would be best to talk with them directly.

I googled it and it certainly sounded good. For some reason most of the pictures did not show up. There was enough that you could get an idea of what was there. I could not find any price on it. I will e mail them for more information.

I did not sere the location either. It would certainly be worth a look see. The way things are going now the need for one is a long way off. "I hope" but it would be very useful first hand information to have.

I was wondering how far it would be from public transportation. Probably have to make arrangements with a cab or tuck tuck.

I received a le mail from them today here is part of it.

"Our prices vary depending upon the type of room chosen, occupancy and the amount of care required. Assuming guests are able to bathe and dress themselves staying in a standard villa room (our smallest room: 26 sq metres + 8 sq metre terrace) the prices is 38,000 Baht single occupancy/ 55,000 Baht double occupancy per month. We have a number of different room types with different prices. All villas have en suite bathrooms. Our standard villa may be small for long-term occupancy and the next size up the garden suite (36 sq metres + 8 sq metre terrace) is better and also the choice of most guests, at 45,000 Baht single occupancy; 62,000 double occupancy per month. We also have 2 roomed villas available."

JulieM -- in this city, an elderly English-speaking retired person who is still capable of walking around/talking/taking care of themselves is living in a rental condo along Huey Kaew, buying groceries every day at either Tops KSK or Rim Ping Maya, playing bridge several times a week at The Pub and going to Pern's for half price wine and the special on Wednesday nights.

In my 14 years here I'm seen plenty of them. Few of them look happy. I think you have also written about how many people here are living lives of quiet desperation. If I can still walk/talk and take care of myself in general at the age of 80 (which shouldn't be a problem) living in one of these facilities sounds a lot better to me than a life in the city going to Tops twice a week.

"Our prices vary depending upon the type of room chosen, occupancy and the amount of care required. Assuming guests are able to bathe and dress themselves staying in a standard villa room (our smallest room: 26 sq metres + 8 sq metre terrace) the prices is 38,000 Baht single occupancy/ 55,000 Baht double occupancy per month. We have a number of different room types with different prices. All villas have en suite bathrooms. Our standard villa may be small for long-term occupancy and the next size up the garden suite (36 sq metres + 8 sq metre terrace) is better and also the choice of most guests, at 45,000 Baht single occupancy; 62,000 double occupancy per month. We also have 2 roomed villas available."

Thanks for that NJ

If someone lives with a partner and is able to bathe and dress themselves, why would they need this facility? Bathing and dressing oneself suggests a good degree of mobility and dexterity. I would think this type of person could go along quite nicely in a condo near downtown for a third or less of that price and a fifth of the double occupancy price.

In my 14 years here I'm seen plenty of them. Few of them look happy. I think you have also written about how many people here are living lives of quiet desperation. If I can still walk/talk and take care of myself in general at the age of 80 (which shouldn't be a problem) living in one of these facilities sounds a lot better to me than a life in the city going to Tops twice a week.

With respect Julie, if you can take care of yourself in general at 80, why would your social activity be limited to Tops twice a week? Getting around Chiang Mai is just about as easy as it gets and so cheap. There would be nothing that you couldn't do then that you do now. Bowling and line zipping might be out, but there's still plenty. smile.png

uptheos, I may be wrong but I don't see myself living in a city when I am 80. It just doesn't sound appealing to me at all.

Even a nice little house with a garden outside, is only going to run you 10,000.

You could hire a maid and still pay 25,000 baht less than this place for a couple.

Of course prices will increase, but so will the retirement home.

In the end it's individual choice of course, which sometimes is made for us.

Thanks for that NJ

If someone lives with a partner and is able to bathe and dress themselves, why would they need this facility? Bathing and dressing oneself suggests a good degree of mobility and dexterity. I would think this type of person could go along quite nicely in a condo near downtown for a third or less of that price and a fifth of the double occupancy price.

You are correct in what you say. I would suggest that people look at the web site. It is like a resort there it has more than room and board. Two swimming pools a spa and much more. I myself would not be interested in it at this point in my life but as Julie said at 80 who knows. Maybe one can dress them self and bath them self but lack a lot of mobility. This would be a factor in it also. Along with the location is not in the city some may like that. I believe they say it was on 12 1/2 acres. From what I could see the villas were spread out not connected.

Definably some thing I will keep in mind. As for money well it is on the costly side but then again you will not be going out a lot and spending money. That is some thing I find myself doing here where I have to take responsibility for every thing.

All in all I am going to remember it just in case my mobility gets to the point where it is a chore to walk to a restaurant or for that matter the 7/11 across the street. It just struck me as a place to have a social life with out having to go to many places. Being a bit of a hermit it would be good for me.

EDIT

I just read your post

"In the end it's individual choice of course, which sometimes is made for us."

Excellent point. I did not choose to have the infirmities I do have. They are not that bad yet but as we all know arthritis can get worse along with other skeletal problems.

Your comment reminds me of what a friend of mine used to say. He said "God gives us free will 98% of the time."laugh.png

You are correct in what you say. I would suggest that people look at the web site. It is like a resort there it has more than room and board. Two swimming pools a spa and much more. I myself would not be interested in it at this point in my life but as Julie said at 80 who knows. Maybe one can dress them self and bath them self but lack a lot of mobility. This would be a factor in it also. Along with the location is not in the city some may like that. I believe they say it was on 12 1/2 acres. From what I could see the villas were spread out not connected.

Definably some thing I will keep in mind. As for money well it is on the costly side but then again you will not be going out a lot and spending money. That is some thing I find myself doing here where I have to take responsibility for every thing.

All in all I am going to remember it just in case my mobility gets to the point where it is a chore to walk to a restaurant or for that matter the 7/11 across the street. It just struck me as a place to have a social life with out having to go to many places. Being a bit of a hermit it would be good for me.

Yes indeed it's horses for courses.

Sometimes if you've spent your time in a condo a resort isn't such a great thing, it's different and not what your used to.

I think having it as an option is a good idea and I'd certainly prefer to put that extra money by for possible medical expenses, unless of course that's all covered adequately.

the thread is indeed a very amicable one(to this point in time) contributors should all take a bow

it has thrown a switch what is available here in c/mai if the occassion does arrive and i am sure we all hope that is a long long ,away

both ,D.K.G. and careresort, offer very good packages,so take your pick

it was only a few short years back ,nothing was available in c/mai,

J.M.O. i feel we are very lucky to have two responsible outfiits in cmai to choose from,and from first hand experience of my dads last yrs living in a nursing home in sydney

the two here are luxury,compared to what my dad lived in,and around the same price (pro rata)..

uptheos my cobber, and sweet julie. evenstevens hopes to sprout daisys in my sleep,and not melonama which is my greatest fear

that will do me fine..a nice afternoon to allsmile.png

I just received another e mail from them in regards to a statement they had made in an earlier letter.

It means that we operate a normal 4 star resort for tourists alongside the care facility but at some point we will only be a care facility. Care guests will not have to leave.

In short it will only be for those who need some level of care.

Not exactly what I have in mind. But I don't always get what I want and some times get what I don't want. Being a care facility would add cost to the costs.

"garden suite (36 sq metres + 8 sq metre terrace) at 45,000 Baht single occupancy"

I guess these prices even the baht at 32-33, are geared more for foreign budgets rather than Thai's.

The Sunday bike club visited McLean's about 4 years ago and I thought the place looked run down. I hope at the prices they are asking they have improved it a lot.

I just received another e mail from them in regards to a statement they had made in an earlier letter.

It means that we operate a normal 4 star resort for tourists alongside the care facility but at some point we will only be a care facility. Care guests will not have to leave.

In short it will only be for those who need some level of care. Being a care facility would add cost to the costs.

your post# 11..basically covered the pricing of paying for assisted care facilty at the careresort

please explain your costs to costs remark?????

That seems quite expensive to be honest, considering it does not include any medical care. For rent (small studio), food, and cleaning, 45,000 is a bit high in my opinion. The grounds must be spectacular.

Along with the location is not in the city some may like that. I believe they say it was on 12 1/2 acres. From what I could see the villas were spread out not connected.

i doubt very much they said this place is on "12 1/2 acres" as land is measured by the rai not acres or hectares.

In short it will only be for those who need some level of care. Being a care facility would add cost to the costs.

your post# 11..basically covered the pricing of paying for assisted care facilty at the careresort

please explain your costs to costs remark?????

Sorry about that. The costs I was given in that letter as it was stated were for people who could dress them selves and bath them selves. They did not include medical services other than blood pressure and Blood Sugar levels.

The first letter had a line in it that I asked them about. The response was as you can see at some point in the future the resort part will be phased out and it will strictly be a care facility.

My point was that the prices I was given did not include any thing other than what I just mentioned. I am sure that they will have other services involved in the care which will each cost more money.

As the response I copied clearly states it will be 100% care facility. Not an old folks home. I have to admit it did not look like any thing I would like today but in the future who knows it looked like a really nice place. No ideas of what the costs will be for other care procedures. Not going to pursue it either. It sounds like the kind of place my sister could use. She had a major heart attack and although she does her own cooking and what not as well as going to an exercise class and going for walks the doctors want her to have some one there with her at all times.

JulieM -- you should immerse yourself into the elderly expat culture for a time. You'll find an entire culture that revolves around the basics of daily living -- securing groceries, enjoying a long breakfast and buying snacks, meeting friends for lunch, taking care of banking and visa business, and spending time with friends.

And then there's returning to your room/condo in the middle of the afternoon to watch TV/movies and handle email. I don't know about you, but I can't wait until I'm age 80. Seems to work for the folks I know.

There are other places here much cheaper with far bigger apartments where you can get room cleaned, laundry done, all meals downstairs or delivered to your room ...taxi to reception to pick you up.....etc etc.

There are other places here much cheaper with far bigger apartments where you can get room cleaned, laundry done, all meals downstairs or delivered to your room ...taxi to reception to pick you up.....etc etc.

Please name a few so I can check them out. Thank you.

Archived