Ebola In Thailand..... Are You Prepared?

wackybacky

Don't know if this subject has been touched on yet, but I have a few questions about Thailand and the effects of Ebola.

I have spent the last couple of days trawling as much information on the latest Ebola outbreak as I can. I have quite literally overloaded on it. The common consensus seems to be that nobody actually knows where and when it will strike. Some experts have given their predictions and none on it looks very good for the world. They all seem to agree though, that it is going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better.

I know the Thais are saying they have a 'probable' cure and have already made moves to patent it (typical Thai style.... money first). They also tell us that they are well prepared and can stop Ebola from entering Thailand.... Can they really??... I seriously doubt that.

I have watched many simulations of the global spread of the virus and it looks pretty daunting. Many experts predict it can be in the millions by next year and in just about every country you can think of. When that happens it becomes out of control on so many levels and we can be entering a 'critical extinction event' phase in as little as 4 to 6 months.

That is very scary indeed.

So.....

Do you think the Thai government will be able to cope with an outbreak in Thailand?

Will the Thai government be happy to completely lock down its borders in cooperation with a possible global no travel policy?

Can Thailand cope with a complete lockdown and import/export ban and the destruction of its tourism industry? (These are likely measures once the virus is on the tipping point of being out of control).

Have you even given any thought to making preparations for locking yourself and your families down? Storing shelf stable food, water, sanitation, medicines to ride out a possible self-imposed siege?

I understand that glutting on information can make a person unreasonably paranoid. But I am starting to think it would not be a bad idea to convert one of our spare rooms to a storeroom to make sure I have ample supplies should we ever be in a situation where we are house bound.

I aint no 'doomsday prepper', I laugh at all the ones I see on Discovery channel as mostly loonies, especially the reasoning of their prepping, but now with Ebola on the increase and the alarming rate it is taking hold, I can see that these lunatics actually may end up being the wisest even though they may end up benefiting for completely different reasons than they had originally been prepping for.

The big game changer will be Lagos, Nigeria... a city of a reported 21 million all living in very close contact. Nigeria is also one of Africa's most widely travelled nationals.. If not the highest. It was reported that a small outbreak there was contained, but was it really?.. Nigeria could be seriously damaged if all the tens of thousands of oil workers left in a hurry., and was hit with an international travel ban.

But even if they did stem the rise, can they stem it when it returns?... and it WILL return.

Call me insane if you want, and I know any one of you can trawl the internet for stories to debase my concerns, but the internet is full of conflicting information on just about every subject on the planet, and it won't be hard to find reports on optimistic statements from so called experts and officials... But mostly those are nothing more than opinions. I don't believe there is any need to insult me either. I am fairly well educated with a reasonably high IQ. I am simply asking questions about what the community feels about this outbreak and if they have been nestling thoughts of maybe preparing just in case.

Isn't it better to be safe than sorry?

Are you prepared?

Edited by wackybacky

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ebola is in Thailand??

It might be.

There are no reports of it yet.

There is an incubation period so people who are already infected can appear healthy.

Many flights arrive daily.

It's not paranoia for Thailand to start addressing what they are going to do if/when (probably when) Ebola cases show up in the Kingdom.

Note that airport screening for people who appear sick or with fever won't catch all cases and of course most people with a fever won't have Ebola!

One thing I have been wondering about, is if it is an advantage or disadvantage for a country to be under martial law in case of such a situation. Intuitively it seems an advantage but perhaps not as information flow would probably more likely to be overly controlled.

Edited by Jingthing

You have more chance of winning the lottery, sitting drinking with Lord Lucan with the winnings and seeing Marilyn Monroe go down on a soi dog than you have of catching it <deleted>

Right now in Thailand, that is correct.

But things can change with viruses.

Ebola is in Thailand??

It might be.

There are no reports of it yet.

There is an incubation period so people who are already infected can appear healthy.

Many flights arrive daily.

It's not paranoia for Thailand to start addressing what they are going to do if/when (probably when) Ebola cases show up in the Kingdom.

One thing I have been wondering about, is if it is an advantage or disadvantage for a country to be under martial law in case of such a situation. Intuitively it seems an advantage but perhaps not as information flow would probably more likely to be overly controlled.

there is a long distance between "is" and "might be".

and there are are a number of things one does differently for "is", and for "might be'.

right now Thailand is dealing for "might be" in the same way that the rest of the world does, and so should it's citizens

When it becomes "is" then additional measures would be in order.

Any smart country would be preparing RIGHT NOW for specific policies to follow in case it shows up here. Nobody knows the chances that it will show up here or not. Right now, the focus should be on controlling it in Africa. If that is controlled there, then the chances of it going more global are greatly reduced. But the trouble is that things are going very badly now in Africa.

I am 100% confident of only one thing, the first Ebola case in Thailand will be covered up for as long as they can keep it quiet.

This might last a couple of days.

I agree (if there is such a case which is certainly very possible) but it could be longer. I guess it's not so bad if people don't panic ... but on the other hand, that's assuming the authorities will handle the containment well, which is a pretty optimistic assumption. Diseases are bad, but so is widespread panic.

Edited by Jingthing

Dooms Day Prepper....... was the first thing that sprung to my mind. 555555

Scarey stuff so e of the things you are talking about. I didn't realise things were that bad.

.......must run, I've got to prepare myself.

Someone called me?

I have usually a food supply for 1 month at home....unless I expect problems than we have more......So when Ebola comes I look the door and wait till the the situation is clear again.

• Like 1

Some ex CIA guy gave a interview to the newspaper saying US has been experimenting with this virus for about 30 years, as with aids. Always seems to start in Africa. I dont fully believe that, but hey it will be profitable for someone. Plus it is well known that planet is over-populated and it puts strain on resources which is not good for someone.

The thing I worry about the most here would be Thailand covering it up to protect tourism and it getting away from them. Have one bar girl on Cowboy or Bangla get it from a customer and see what happens. Could you imagine how fast it would spread in BKK or Phuket? Holy crap it would be scary because they have no way of containing it and they wouldn't mention it out loud.

Scarey stuff so e of the things you are talking about. I didn't realise things were that bad.

Someone called me?

I have usually a food supply for 1 month at home....unless I expect problems than we have more......So when Ebola comes I look the door and wait till the the situation is clear again.

One month. That's funny. It could go potentially go on for years. That's why it's so important for the world to help out in Africa now.

Someone called me?

I'm not sure 1 month is long enuf for Ebola to clean out thru bangers and the rest of LOS..... anyway.......nevermind.

Ebola is in Thailand??

No, can't get a proper visa at the moment.

Sorry, Steve, stupid humour.

Humor is never stupid, and some times it hides a lot of truth

in this instance Thailand's difficult visa policy might have a beneficial aspect.smile.png

• Like 1

Someone called me?

One month. That's funny. It could go potentially go on for years. That's why it's so important for the world to help out in Africa now.

Makes me glad I bought that remote tropical island off the Queensland Coast in Oz.

I will close the gates tomorrow. Can you sing out when the coast is clear JT.

PS: Already donated to the cause in Africa. ;)

• Like 1

Someone called me?

Makes me glad I bought that remote tropical island off the Queensland Coast in Oz.

I will close the gates tomorrow. Can you sing out when the coast is clear JT.

PS: Already donated to the cause in Africa. wink.png

PS: Already donated to the cause in Africa

Haven't you noticed

They are selling them already on eBaysad.png