Ebola In Thailand..... Are You Prepared?

wackybacky

Dooms Day Prepper....... was the first thing that sprung to my mind. 555555

Scarey stuff so e of the things you are talking about. I didn't realise things were that bad.

.......must run, I've got to prepare myself.

Someone called me?

I have usually a food supply for 1 month at home....unless I expect problems than we have more......So when Ebola comes I look the door and wait till the the situation is clear again.

One month. That's funny. It could go potentially go on for years. That's why it's so important for the world to help out in Africa now.

years, really?

We have lots of cans and lots of rice, a big deep freeze full and 2 small deep freeze sections of 2 normal fridges. But when 2 people fully eat from it, it gets empty fast I think. And worse I have only 3 liter of wine on stock......

If I eat only a can spam or Tuna with plenty rice per day it would last longer, but this seems very cruel.

I recall when we were flooded 1 month. Our drinking water supply lasted 6 month, but the stocked beer was finish in 1 week. the two biggest miscalculations I made.

• Like 1

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am 100% confident of only one thing, the first Ebola case in Thailand will be covered up for as long as they can keep it quiet.

This might last a couple of days.

More than a couple of days. They will deny and call it something else. 100% sure of that.

• Like 1

My question is can Thailand cope?. Nigeria did contain the virus as they have emergency plans in place for polio, Thailand however could be caught napping.

You are probably right.

Farang tink too mutt.

The op is called wackybaky, maybe its drug-induced paranoia.

Lol.... I haven't smoked for over 20 years. I don't contaminate myself at all apart from random beers.

I don't regard myself as a paranoid person. Just the way this virus spread rate is accelerating, it certainly gives great cause for concern.

You certainly don't need wacky backy to be alarmed at the statistics and where they are going.

Just do a Google search for 'ebola global infection forecasts' should net you a lot of info and charts. Most are from very well qualified experts, many conflict, but even the optimistic forecasts are disturbing..... Here is one from a Daily Telegraph report based on WHO expert predictions.

ebola_desktop2.png

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/ebola/11121045/Graphic-how-Ebola-cases-have-grown-since-March.html

Fortunately for as, and unfortunately for them, these predictions are for Liberia, Guinea, Siera Leone and Nigeria, non of these predictions include Thailand. or my corner of the world, I am in NYC right now.

and though I am alarmed by what is happening there I am not ready to start building an apocalypse defending bunker.

• Like 1

The thing I worry about the most here would be Thailand covering it up to protect tourism and it getting away from them. Have one bar girl on Cowboy or Bangla get it from a customer and see what happens. Could you imagine how fast it would spread in BKK or Phuket? Holy crap it would be scary because they have no way of containing it and they wouldn't mention it out loud.

A nurse in the USA working in a hospital with all of the hi tech stuff contracted Ebola. Now I don't want to sound like a Thai apologist but I think it is a world wide problem. Holy crap if they can't contain it in a USA hospital why would you pick on Thailand to holy crap about. I wouldn't worry too much about the hookers they only contact people one or two at a time. I'd worry about the Christians all crowded together in a church singing with spit flying all over the place, now that's a contact danger. And stop all those people who promote group hugs.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

I live in HK.

Started buying some non-perishable food last week. Going to get a bit every time I go down to the supermarket. Water and other supplies too.

As I said to the wife, if nothing comes of it then we have a lot of food to eat. If something comes of it, at least we are stocked up. The rush on supermarkets would be immense and shelves would be cleared in hours.

• Like 1

Richard Preston wrote the non-fiction book, The Hot Zone, in 1994 as a follow-up to his piece of the same name in the New Yorker in 1992 about the Ebola outbreak in Africa. I read the book shortly after it came out, and learned a lot about what we do and don't know about the virus. I suggest the book as a good read, and Preston is on Reddit answering question about Ebola. He also has a Facebook page. It's against forum rules to post a link, so just Google the name of his book.

• Like 1

Stay away from Soi Africa.

You're nothing if not thoroughly predictable

The invitation to avoid Soi Africa does not extend to you and your African English/American gangstars.

Not sure what you mean but I'll lay any money you've got a Confederate flag up in your lounge

Some ex CIA guy gave a interview to the newspaper saying US has been experimenting with this virus for about 30 years, as with aids. Always seems to start in Africa. I dont fully believe that, but hey it will be profitable for someone. Plus it is well known that planet is over-populated and it puts strain on resources which is not good for someone.

whats that company to invest in again when the shit hits the fan....halitosis. ..helli something

• Like 1

Dooms Day Prepper....... was the first thing that sprung to my mind. 555555

Scarey stuff so e of the things you are talking about. I didn't realise things were that bad.

.......must run, I've got to prepare myself.

Someone called me?

I have usually a food supply for 1 month at home....unless I expect problems than we have more......So when Ebola comes I look the door and wait till the the situation is clear again.

One month. That's funny. It could go potentially go on for years. That's why it's so important for the world to help out in Africa now.

What you do when everyone at the electric company dead or gone ?

years, really?

We have lots of cans and lots of rice, a big deep freeze full and 2 small deep freeze sections of 2 normal fridges. But when 2 people fully eat from it, it gets empty fast I think. And worse I have only 3 liter of wine on stock......

If I eat only a can spam or Tuna with plenty rice per day it would last longer, but this seems very cruel.

I recall when we were flooded 1 month. Our drinking water supply lasted 6 month, but the stocked beer was finish in 1 week. the two biggest miscalculations I made.

electric wont be on forever

Edited by Showbags

That patent thing is really ridiculous. If i came up with a way to cure Ebola, i would be quick to start an internet campaign to raise enough funds so that i could start distributing it all over the world, starting with the already infected places. I can't f.... believe that a deadly virus has been killing people by the dozen and certain people who has the solution for it, worry about money instead of start saving lives.

BTW you can't really prepare for such thing. If it hits the country/city you are in then there is not much you can do since they won't even let you leave.

The OP makes a valid argument.

...but becoming a prepper in thailand is a useless proposition.

The machette wielding mobs will be on your farang door in no time braying for blood....and your stockpiled food.

I would hightail it back to farangland if I was seriously afraid about Ebola.

At least I can defend myself there...have friends, family etc.

I don't buy this Ebola scare...we've been here before....SARS., bird flu, swine flu...etc

Scared sheeple equals controlled people.

I'm not a prepper but I do have over 10,000 rounds of ammo in case of civil unrest and plenty of firearms too.

The machette wielding mobs will be on your farang door in no time braying for blood....and your stockpiled food.

I don't buy this Ebola scare...we've been here before....SARS., bird flu, swine flu...etc

I'm not a prepper but I do have over 10,000 rounds of ammo in case of civil unrest and plenty of firearms too.

someone always has a bigger gun...or comes along when you have spent your last round of ammo...

That may well be the case. But I wouldn't exactly go advertising that I had a year supply of food and water, a portaloo and a bank of car batteries and generator.

Also the social fabric would have to break down before people went on the rampage.

Jumping on a plane to the UK won't be the answer... It is predicted to hit the UK long before it gets here. Although how it crosses borders is random, but more people fly in and out of the UK than they do Thailand.

A lot of it depends heavily on whether the government does a good job of distributing food and water to the masses if needed... There is only a social meltdown when that fails.

Plenty of rice to go round..... not so sure about the water though.

Terminator that wont protect you against Ebola, What nut job needs 10,000 rounds of Ammo, reminds me of the obsessed gun crazed Columbine High School Killers.

yeah, zombies keep coming no matter how many times you shoot em

It's up to you whether or not you buy into this.... The differences between ebola and what you named are quite stark. Your examples never got anywhere near the 'exponential' infection rates, they were curable and also very low mortality rate.

Ebloa in contrast has now reached exponential growth rates and will very soon be completely out of control, it is 50 to 60% fatal and is very hard to detect. There is also no known cure for it.

Yup.... so in your view, all the world's health organisations, governments and media are conspiring to control us all?

I hope and pray that you don't have a wife and children that rely on you for their protection. I don't hold much hope for their chances.

Seriously..... the US Centres For Disease Control and WHO put the infection rate way more than they predicted back in August. In late September they revised their predictions to 'best case' scenario was 550,000 in West Africa alone.... 'worst case' is 1.4 million by January 2015 and at the middle of October it is line with the 'worst case' trend.

Edited by wackybacky

(Due in a large part to reckless endangerment of top American leadership) IMO as an America citizen...

*****************************************************************************************************

WHO says Ebola is 'most severe acute health emergency in modern times' The World Health Organisation issues stark warning as the Government is set to announce "important changes" in the NHS to tackle a possible outbreak

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/ebola/11158504/WHO-says-Ebola-is-most-severe-acute-health-emergency-in-modern-times.html

(Due in a large part to reckless endangerment of top American leadership) IMO as an America citizen...

*****************************************************************************************************

Why do you say that or is that just another predictable Obama bash?

I expect that soon Thailand will ban entry of those from the Ebola Hotspot Countries of West Africa and even other adjacent countries in Africa... Thailand has - for better or worse - a strong sense of who they want in the country and who they do not.

Anyone who proclaims that banning entry of people from countries that have a incidence of Ebola infected patients - that it will do no good - are just simple minded. Such actions may not stave off a world wide epidemic forever but it will go a long way towards keeping Ebola out Thailand... Xenophobia may just payoff this time around.

Thailand - as we all know - is quite experienced at checking passport and visa travel history and credentials... If Thailand does - as I hope they soon do - ban issuance of entrance visas to all residents of the Ebola endemic countries of West Africa and ban entry to those people who have recently traveled in the Ebola afflicted West African Countries as well - then Ebola disease in Thailand will be a long time coming.

Too bad the leaders of my own home country will not do likewise... Fools they are -- soon to become criminals for their actions.

I had to give you a like for that.

But I really don't think we are far away from a possible global no fly situation.

How I think this will pan out....

First of all, the figures as a 'bast case scenario' for West Africa is about 550,000 infections and 'worst case' is 1.4 million by January.... But I believe that all West African countries with the biggest infection rates will be locked down long before we reach January.

I have done lots of travelling through Africa and they are the most porous borders in the world. There is already reports of people being shot trying to cross illegally and there is a 'shoot on sight' policy in this area as we speak.

Eventually the situation is going to get so bad, the populations are going to become so terrified they will move en-masse to try to get out of their countries and cause a huge refugee crisis where the epidemic will spread like wild fire and will be on the move.... It won't be long before the spread through the African continent will be out of control.

When millions are on the move, it is not easy to stop them, especially when west Africa is covered in thick jungle, criss crossed with jungle tracks. It will eventually spread across central Africa. Then Africa will be locked down by the rest of the world.... no flights in and no flights out.

But by then it will have already leaked out into places like Europe and the Middle East and the entire population of Africa will be panicking and when an entire continent panics, they are going to do everything they can to get out of that continent.... Who wants to be seen blowing boats full of refugees out of the water? The EU or UN is going to allow it??

So will we end up with Ebola rich refugee camps al over southern Europe and the Middle East?... One can just imagine the problems containing it when the real panic sets in, and many of those people will be trying to get away from being hemmed in with many infected, they will probably eventually get out into a terrified European population. Then we will see a global lockdown.

I think this is a realistic scenario if it rages across the African continent. The WHO already know it is out of control in West Africa, they know it is already at the tipping point and possibly well past it, because of the exponential spread rate. It is now nigh on impossible to stop the growth rate.

I mean 550,000 infections by January in the best case scenario..... How the hell do you contain that????

Ok chaps what is this all about ?

It's about an extremely obnoxious, insensitive, and mentally ill man who sadly has access to a youtube account. That video was disgusting and obscene. Why would you think it was useful to share such total garbage?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

It's about an extremely obnoxious, insensitive, and mentally ill man who sadly has access to a youtube account. That video was disgusting and obscene. Why would you think it was useful to share such total garbage?

What a complete knobend that guy is.

I would gladly pay for his flight if he goes and spends a night in a Liberian ebola ward.

He wouldn't even get on the plane.... I guarantee it.

• Like 1

Thank you for your opinion ,,, yes some odd people about