Ebola In Thailand..... Are You Prepared?

wackybacky

Ok chaps what is this all about ?

It's about an extremely obnoxious, insensitive, and mentally ill man who sadly has access to a youtube account. That video was disgusting and obscene. Why would you think it was useful to share such total garbage?

Thank you for your opinion ,,, yes some odd people about

You can say that again... But I use them for entertainment. I do get a good laugh out of them.

There are even conspiracy theorists saying that the US government wants to infect its population.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dooms Day Prepper....... was the first thing that sprung to my mind. 555555

Scarey stuff so e of the things you are talking about. I didn't realise things were that bad.

.......must run, I've got to prepare myself.

mouth masks eh? works for everything, used to see em running round bkk when bird flu was on the golaugh.png

There are two things to consider here one is the amount of Africans travelling to the US and Europe. It's much greater than the number who travel to Thailand and Asia.

However since Ebola started in a tropical climate it's reasonable to assume the virus would spread quicker in warmer climates rather than colder ones.

There are two things to consider here one is the amount of Africans travelling to the US and Europe. It's much greater than the number who travel to Thailand and Asia.

However since Ebola started in a tropical climate it's reasonable to assume the virus would spread quicker in warmer climates rather than colder ones.

Point 1.... It doesn't need to be Africans flying her from West Africa.... It can travel to other parts of the world before making its way here. That is how a pandemic spreads. It spreads to say Europe, USA or India. Where people pick it up and then it gets here. Doesn't even need to be an African. It could make its way across Africa unchecked and a handful of backpackers could bring it back.

Point 2.... The common cold spreads faster in cold countries than hot ones. Not because you can catch a cold from being cold... That is a common fallacy.... Because in colder climates people tend to spend more time indoors in closer proximity to each other and so the virus is easier to spread from person to person. In summer, people spend more time outdoors which is why there is always a spike in colds in the winter compared with the summer.

• Like 1

Point 1.... It doesn't need to be Africans flying her from West Africa.... It can travel to other parts of the world before making its way here. That is how a pandemic spreads. It spreads to say Europe, USA or India. Where people pick it up and then it gets here. Doesn't even need to be an African. It could make its way across Africa unchecked and a handful of backpackers could bring it back.

Point 2.... The common cold spreads faster in cold countries than hot ones. Not because you can catch a cold from being cold... That is a common fallacy.... Because in colder climates people tend to spend more time indoors in closer proximity to each other and so the virus is easier to spread from person to person. In summer, people spend more time outdoors which is why there is always a spike in colds in the winter compared with the summer.

You make a convincing argument. I shall also avoid backpackers and Khao San Road, not that I ever go there that is.

The OP makes a valid argument.

...but becoming a prepper in thailand is a useless proposition.

The machette wielding mobs will be on your farang door in no time braying for blood....and your stockpiled food.

I would hightail it back to farangland if I was seriously afraid about Ebola.

At least I can defend myself there...have friends, family etc.

I don't buy this Ebola scare...we've been here before....SARS., bird flu, swine flu...etc

Scared sheeple equals controlled people.

I'm not a prepper but I do have over 10,000 rounds of ammo in case of civil unrest and plenty of firearms too.

Only 10,000 rounds?? w00t.gif

• Like 1

Op, better off just having a beer, you have more chance in dying from cancer, diabetes, AIDS, malaria, the flu, streptococcus whatchamacallit, food poisoning, getting hit by a bus, falling off the Skytrain, getting shot by a nutty Thai etc etc etc. Besides it's not that easy to catch and will wither away like the others. I genuinely think we've had our time on earth and need to go, but this ain't it, yet!

(Due in a large part to reckless endangerment of top American leadership) IMO as an America citizen...

*****************************************************************************************************

Why do you say that or is that just another predictable Obama bashing

You call it bashing - other people like me call it opposition to obama's dictatorial actions. Such as refusing to enforce our borders, such as slowing deportation of illegal aliens to a trickle, such as releasing criminal illegal aliens, such as letting tens of thousands of people rush the border and then bused to sanctuaries, such as making changes to obamacare without Congress changing the law (which a Federal Judge finally reversed some of it), such as threatening to grant Amnesty to millions of illegal aliens via Executive Fiat called Executive Orders all to be done he proclaims without consent of Congress which just happens to be unconstitutional. I think obama should be have millions of Americans standing in front of the White House screaming at him everyday to stop the insanity. You can call it bashing if you want... I call it exercising my First Amendment Rights of Free Speech.

But - I digress. Many months ago it was plain and apparent to anyone that the growing threat of the Ebola epidemic should be watched closely and restrictions of visa issuance for residents of the Ebola afflicted West African countries should have been instituted. But it wasn't done because it would have reflected badly on obama's Open Border, Amnesty policy and the political correctness surrounding it.

So as a result a man from Liberia who has no compelling reason to go to America beyond wanting to visit family. He is allowed to come to America for less than compelling reasons even though he lives in the middle of an Ebola Epidemic. The rest is history. Now we have a transmitted case of Ebola from this man - transmitted to a nurse wearing full protective gear. He is now deceased. obama's policies allowed an Ebola infected man to come to America from an Ebola infested country. We have the first case now of an Ebola infection - first transmission ever. First case now deceased and first transmission of Ebola shining moments of obama policy. Now even with this awful situation right before our eyes - obama still refuses to issue a policy stopping issuance of entrance visas to residents of the Ebola stricken West African Countries. YES - I BASH HIM.

obama's policy is dangerous and reckless. If an individual or a business in America conducted their actions recklessly to the point it endangered others by exposure to an infectious contagious deadly disease - they would be prosecuted at least for reckless endangerment and if someone died as a result - an additional charge of involuntary manslaughter would likely be added to the charges. But obama in his dictatorial manner - just thumbs his nose at American citizens as does has he pleases.

There is no justifiable rationale for obama's refusal to continue the policy of issuing entrance visas to residents of the Ebola Hotspot West African countries - NONE. He is only being recalcitrant to protect the upcoming debate over Amnesty for 20 million illegal aliens and his threat to do it by Executive Fiat.

And before someone pops up and says it -- no it does not matter that we now have a case of transmitted Ebola already in the U.S. We have a change of stamping out that chain of infection in Dallas if no other new African imported cases appear and that chance can be greatly reduced by stopping issuance of entrance visas to them.

The President of the United States has many duties - a Primary One is to protect Americans and America. obama is not failing to do that in this Ebola situation - he is REFUSING to do it. obama's policies in this Ebola situation are endangering Americans and his refusal in light of the evidence makes it a reckless act done with aforethought. It is my fondest hope that obama is someday prosecuted for this set of actions and non actions.

Edited by JDGRUEN
  • Like 2

Any smart country would be preparing RIGHT NOW for specific policies to follow in case it shows up here. Nobody knows the chances that it will show up here or not. Right now, the focus should be on controlling it in Africa. If that is controlled there, then the chances of it going more global are greatly reduced. But the trouble is that things are going very badly now in Africa.

I think we've already established that such things are in precious short supply!

I expect that soon Thailand will ban entry of those from the Ebola Hotspot Countries of West Africa and even other adjacent countries in Africa... Thailand has - for better or worse - a strong sense of who they want in the country and who they do not.

Anyone who proclaims that banning entry of people from countries that have a incidence of Ebola infected patients - that it will do no good - are just simple minded. Such actions may not stave off a world wide epidemic forever but it will go a long way towards keeping Ebola out Thailand... Xenophobia may just payoff this time around.

Thailand - as we all know - is quite experienced at checking passport and visa travel history and credentials... If Thailand does - as I hope they soon do - ban issuance of entrance visas to all residents of the Ebola endemic countries of West Africa and ban entry to those people who have recently traveled in the Ebola afflicted West African Countries as well - then Ebola disease in Thailand will be a long time coming.

Too bad the leaders of my own home country will not do likewise... Fools they are -- soon to become criminals for their actions.

I had to give you a like for that.

But I really don't think we are far away from a possible global no fly situation.

How I think this will pan out....

First of all, the figures as a 'bast case scenario' for West Africa is about 550,000 infections and 'worst case' is 1.4 million by January.... But I believe that all West African countries with the biggest infection rates will be locked down long before we reach January.

I have done lots of travelling through Africa and they are the most porous borders in the world. There is already reports of people being shot trying to cross illegally and there is a 'shoot on sight' policy in this area as we speak.

Eventually the situation is going to get so bad, the populations are going to become so terrified they will move en-masse to try to get out of their countries and cause a huge refugee crisis where the epidemic will spread like wild fire and will be on the move.... It won't be long before the spread through the African continent will be out of control.

When millions are on the move, it is not easy to stop them, especially when west Africa is covered in thick jungle, criss crossed with jungle tracks. It will eventually spread across central Africa. Then Africa will be locked down by the rest of the world.... no flights in and no flights out.

But by then it will have already leaked out into places like Europe and the Middle East and the entire population of Africa will be panicking and when an entire continent panics, they are going to do everything they can to get out of that continent.... Who wants to be seen blowing boats full of refugees out of the water? The EU or UN is going to allow it??

So will we end up with Ebola rich refugee camps al over southern Europe and the Middle East?... One can just imagine the problems containing it when the real panic sets in, and many of those people will be trying to get away from being hemmed in with many infected, they will probably eventually get out into a terrified European population. Then we will see a global lockdown.

I think this is a realistic scenario if it rages across the African continent. The WHO already know it is out of control in West Africa, they know it is already at the tipping point and possibly well past it, because of the exponential spread rate. It is now nigh on impossible to stop the growth rate.

I mean 550,000 infections by January in the best case scenario..... How the hell do you contain that????

Well - thank you. I do have to say though that I think any extrapolations of the current situation into a world-wide no fly zone... is premature. Isolating the Ebola Affected West African countries by stopping Visa issuance world-wide and providing as much help to those Afflicted Countries at the same time will delay a world-wide epidemic... By doing nothing we only accelerate. By slowing the Ebola epidemic down we buy time for a vaccine development and perhaps some strong anti-viral medications. Claims that a isolation of these countries would be disastrous is rubbish - providing huge amounts of aid and assistance will override the 'disaster'.

Op, better off just having a beer, you have more chance in dying from cancer, diabetes, AIDS, malaria, the flu, streptococcus whatchamacallit, food poisoning, getting hit by a bus, falling off the Skytrain, getting shot by a nutty Thai etc etc etc. Besides it's not that easy to catch and will wither away like the others. I genuinely think we've had our time on earth and need to go, but this ain't it, yet!

Yep...... maybe at the moment, but try saying that in 6 months.

I suggest you read up a bit more on the subject..... You are dangerously misinformed.

The WHO and the CDC are not having us all along in a big joke.

SIR

Do not worry, we have tiger balm, cures everything.

Actually, a cream called Quadraderm (spelling?) Is like magic. As a special forces medic training in Thailand I came across this stuff and was amazed on how effective it is.

It's antiviral, antifungal, antibacterial, and anti-everything. My last visit in Thailand a couple of years ago I bought about four tubes.

There's nothing like it in the US but I wish there was. I can't think of any time anyone in my family had some kind of rash that that stuff did not remedy.

I know this is off-topic, but just think of it as FYI.

Besides, didn't I read here that Thailand had discovered a cure for Ebola? Whatever happened to that. I must've missed it.

The news here in the US has gone berserk scaring the locals, especially folks like my mother who are easily scared when they need not be. We have had maybe one or two people die from Ebola, yet we have 600,000 die every year from heart disease, a preventable death. And I'm not sure but when I was in Thailand some time ago as a medic doing research, Aids was quite a problem. Is at now not an issue or doesn't it carry the newsworthiness of Ebola.

Let's talk priorities.

Peace.

You watch too much Fox News kid.

I'm not sure who or what you are replying to but if it is how these new organizations are creating a hysteria and I agree. Yes, Ebola is bad, but compared to everything else we have been dying from the numbers are minuscule.

But as long as it sells papers and airtime we would hear about the end of the world.

I expect that soon Thailand will ban entry of those from the Ebola Hotspot Countries of West Africa and even other adjacent countries in Africa... Thailand has - for better or worse - a strong sense of who they want in the country and who they do not.

Anyone who proclaims that banning entry of people from countries that have a incidence of Ebola infected patients - that it will do no good - are just simple minded. Such actions may not stave off a world wide epidemic forever but it will go a long way towards keeping Ebola out Thailand... Xenophobia may just payoff this time around.

Thailand - as we all know - is quite experienced at checking passport and visa travel history and credentials... If Thailand does - as I hope they soon do - ban issuance of entrance visas to all residents of the Ebola endemic countries of West Africa and ban entry to those people who have recently traveled in the Ebola afflicted West African Countries as well - then Ebola disease in Thailand will be a long time coming.

Too bad the leaders of my own home country will not do likewise... Fools they are -- soon to become criminals for their actions.

I had to give you a like for that.

But I really don't think we are far away from a possible global no fly situation.

How I think this will pan out....

First of all, the figures as a 'bast case scenario' for West Africa is about 550,000 infections and 'worst case' is 1.4 million by January.... But I believe that all West African countries with the biggest infection rates will be locked down long before we reach January.

I have done lots of travelling through Africa and they are the most porous borders in the world. There is already reports of people being shot trying to cross illegally and there is a 'shoot on sight' policy in this area as we speak.

Eventually the situation is going to get so bad, the populations are going to become so terrified they will move en-masse to try to get out of their countries and cause a huge refugee crisis where the epidemic will spread like wild fire and will be on the move.... It won't be long before the spread through the African continent will be out of control.

When millions are on the move, it is not easy to stop them, especially when west Africa is covered in thick jungle, criss crossed with jungle tracks. It will eventually spread across central Africa. Then Africa will be locked down by the rest of the world.... no flights in and no flights out.

But by then it will have already leaked out into places like Europe and the Middle East and the entire population of Africa will be panicking and when an entire continent panics, they are going to do everything they can to get out of that continent.... Who wants to be seen blowing boats full of refugees out of the water? The EU or UN is going to allow it??

So will we end up with Ebola rich refugee camps al over southern Europe and the Middle East?... One can just imagine the problems containing it when the real panic sets in, and many of those people will be trying to get away from being hemmed in with many infected, they will probably eventually get out into a terrified European population. Then we will see a global lockdown.

I think this is a realistic scenario if it rages across the African continent. The WHO already know it is out of control in West Africa, they know it is already at the tipping point and possibly well past it, because of the exponential spread rate. It is now nigh on impossible to stop the growth rate.

I mean 550,000 infections by January in the best case scenario..... How the hell do you contain that????

Well - thank you. I do have to say though that I think any extrapolations of the current situation into a world-wide no fly zone... is premature. Isolating the Ebola Affected West African countries by stopping Visa issuance world-wide and providing as much help to those Afflicted Countries at the same time will delay a world-wide epidemic... By doing nothing we only accelerate. By slowing the Ebola epidemic down we buy time for a vaccine development and perhaps some strong anti-viral medications. Claims that a isolation of these countries would be disastrous is rubbish - providing huge amounts of aid and assistance will override the 'disaster'.

You can only hope that it can be contained.... Trust me, if these numbers start spiralling out of control outside of Africa, a global no travel ban is a real possibility.

Yes, it is premature to do it now, but hey.... The infected countries are not even on lockdown. Nationals are allowed to move in and out at the moment.

One of the major problems with even containing this in West Africa is that it is taking down the heath care staff. 25% of all ebola deaths so far in that region are health workers... Liberia itself is now down to 250 only doctors.

When you talk of a vaccine..... That again is hope. This is the ebola Zaire strain. It has been coming and going for almost 40 years and they still don't have a vaccine. Each time it comes back it mutates to different strains, it is sneaky, it can mutate to a different style of ebola from host to host.

A few thousand cases and it is already in 8 countries, what happens with the best case scenario predictions of 550,000 by January?... How far and wide will it travel then? Or worse, what happens if it is 1.4 million infected by January?

I know the Thais are saying they have a 'probable' cure and have already made moves to patent it (typical Thai style.... money first)

So you're saying all the major foreign drug companies operate in "Thai style?" Western pharmaceutical companies don't put profit before all else?

Just amazing how people come to Thailand and suddenly discover all the world's woes originate here.

I've been treated for a condition in Thailand with a injectable cancer drug from Genentech/Novartis/Roche which the company reformulated/rebottled in order to charge people $2000 per injection rather than $50 and they even tried to prevent doctors from using the less expensive version because profit mattered more than the people who needed the treatment used to prevent a progressive form of blindness. I received the ocular injections at Baht 10,000 per rather than the baht 60,000 to baht 100,000 the western drug dealers wanted hospitals to charge... and that's just one small example of western corporate greed in the midst of many, many worse examples.

"Thai style?" Are you really that naive or just blinded by prejudice?

• Like 1

I know the Thais are saying they have a 'probable' cure and have already made moves to patent it (typical Thai style.... money first)

So you're saying all the major foreign drug companies operate in "Thai style?" Western pharmaceutical companies don't put profit before all else?

Just amazing how people come to Thailand and suddenly discover all the world's woes originate here.

I've been treated for a condition in Thailand with a injectable cancer drug from Genentech/Novartis/Roche which the company reformulated/rebottled in order to charge people $2000 per injection rather than $50 and they even tried to prevent doctors from using the less expensive version because profit mattered more than the people who needed the treatment used to prevent a progressive form of blindness. I received the ocular injections at Baht 10,000 per rather than the baht 60,000 to baht 100,000 the western drug dealers wanted hospitals to charge... and that's just one small example of western corporate greed in the midst of many, many worse examples.

"Thai style?" Are you really that naive or just blinded by prejudice?

Any idea how long a patent takes to get through the process?

But that aside... There is a huge difference between an injectable cancer drug and something that is spreading so fast it can eclipse cancer in less than a year with a 60% mortality rate and a hell of a lot easier to catch than cancer or ocular complaints.

Ebola is a time bomb for the entire world population to worry about.

Edited by wackybacky

I live in HK.

Started buying some non-perishable food last week. Going to get a bit every time I go down to the supermarket. Water and other supplies too.

As I said to the wife, if nothing comes of it then we have a lot of food to eat. If something comes of it, at least we are stocked up. The rush on supermarkets would be immense and shelves would be cleared in hours.

I suggest canned refried beans. The ones I just bought have a stamp: 'best before 04/2019' w00t.gif

Bring it on! What doesn't kill you makes you stronger aside from HIV, and that kills you eventually.

“Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis.”

- Jack Handey

• Like 1