Best Schools in Ubon Ratchathani for Our Children?

EmptyHead

Hi guys and gals,

So, I am living in Ubon with my family and it won't be too long until i have to send my daughter to school, so i thought i would start thinking about it.

I hope to get some first hand accounts about the schools in Ubon: either where you have sent your kids, or perhaps you work (or have worked) there.

I am interested in the education of course, but actually more interested in the social aspects of the school. How are our mixed race kids treated there? Is bullying common among the kids? How do the teachers treat the students?

And if it's a fee paying school or program, any details on the rough cost would be great. wai2.gif

Ok I will go first. I sent my son to the YES school in Ubon for 2 years. The reason we chose this school was that the English Program (EP) syllabus was 50 percent taught in English and 50 percent taught in Thai. My son had 4 years at an Australian primary school and his English was great but he only spoke Issan and couldn't read or write thai. In the first year the teachers were very helpful and he quickly gained a good grasp of thai, both written and oral. It all started going down hill after that.

As my son could read, write and speak English quite well he was continually roped in to participate in English speech competitions with other school in Ubon. He always placed quite high in these competitions. The school quickly took claim for teaching him good English. It got to the stage that he was often missing his own lessons so he could represent the school in these competitions. He was placed there to learn written thai and there he was being paraded as their English speaking wonder boy. Wifey wouldn't let me go into the office to vent my frustrations.

Enough of that rant. He was in a class of 6 or 7 kids. It seemed in the last year he was there that the teachers were always being used for other tasks apart from teaching. So the kids were often left alone in the classroom for the teaching period then given homework to be done at home. Most days he was getting about 2 or 3 hours of homework but was sitting around most of the day doing nothing during the school periods.

The school are supposed to have native English speaking teachers to teach the English program lessons. There were a few native English speakers but the others came from all over the place like phillipines, Germany, India, Ghana, France etc. It was ok for my son as he could already speak English well. The other students would have had major problems with the varying accents.

I chose this school as opposed to the religious based schools as I didn't want him to be brainwashed with Christianity like the religious schools in Australia. We removed him from this school and he is now back in Australia getting a far better standard of education. For the high school fees that we were paying I expected more that what we got. The facilities there looked good, the uniform is nice but there was no substance in their level of education for my liking.

• Like 1

Youth Exchange School is considered the best by most foreigners in the area. Plenty of mixed race kids there and a handful of foreign teachers. I call it "the least bad" school. We used it for pre school and it was ok. Not sure what grade you'll be starting your child in. If it's preschool, PM me and I can answer more questions for you. Good student-teacher ratio and I could tell there was some learning happening. I wasn't thrilled when I found out they were making him take part in Buddhist ceremonies against our request but what do you expect in Thailand. I want to say it was 3,000b/month for preschoolers but I can't find a receipt. The fact they place such a heavy emphasis on the exchange program and winning contests bothers me. It's their main selling point when you inquire at the school. We win this and this and this contest. Yay? To me it seems like a typical Thai school but in a prettier package.

Benjamamaharat supposedly gets kids into Thai colleges but that's more because of the school's name than quality of education. I know a family that commutes from Mukdahan 3 hours away every week just to increase their kids' chances of getting into a good university in Bangkok. The student-teacher ratios are ridiculous I've heard.

We'll either be making arrangements for home school after 1st grade or moving to Bangkok or Chiang Mai near a better school. Likely a mix of both. I'm not letting my kids be poster children for English competitions.

http://www.yes2.ac.th/

Edited by ubonrthai
  • Like 1

Just noticed the Youth Exchange School updated their "vision statement" after the coup.

"To develop an awareness of students to be proud of being Thai, posse moral and virtue, understand Thai democracy, and enrich with academic knowledge. To emphasize students with foreign language, be able to use modern technology, with aesthetics and perfect health."

cheesy.gif

Edited by ubonrthai
  • Like 1

Let's start with Ubonwittayakhom, in the center of Ubon, located at Sapphasit Road. This is a s called "World Class Standard School", but it might only look good from the outside. There're strange teachers, who hit kids. No gossip, I've seen it with my own eyes.

The kids there have two hours of English a week, taught by foreign teachers, two others by Thai English teachers. The school once had a good reputation, when they had some experienced teachers from Europe and one from the States. But that's already past.

Times are changing. They never understood that 25 K for an experienced teacher will never attract what they're looking for. Now they've got five Filipinos, who're pretty hard to understand.Their English writing skills are unbelievable, if you know what I mean. One Cameroonian woman and another guy from an African country. Please forget it to send your kids to that school.

YES seems to be constantly looking for teachers and they do have more non native English speakers, than they'll tell you. I've met the German lady who works there at a speech competition, where we had to be judges. She's a "real" English teacher from Germany and knows what she does.Would your daughter have her as her English teacher, it would be great. But.....................................

I've also met some other guys, I wouldn't like to have as a teacher for our son, to be perfectly honest. I was there for a job interview, but when i read my responsibilities, I had to tell them that I needed more time to think about it. I wanted to have a copy of the contract to show it to my wife, i said. Actually, i wanted to post it on a teaching forum, of course not mentioning the name of the school. .

They wanted me to teach for them and phoned me too often, even when I had told them that nobody would sign such a contract, teaching science to grade one, M6 EP, but also ordinary program. And being a homeroom teacher in grade four...and and and...

Next school would be Anuban. The EP seems to have a good name, that's all. A European, non native English speaking guy who seems to know all about nothing,does everything that really good and experienced native English teachers are badmouthed and leave school after s short period of time.

You really pay very good money for a questionable education.One term must be between 23 and 25 K.

The ordinary program is taken over by an agency.Always new backpacking guys, or those who can't make it at a good school, are the norm. They're planning to hire English teachers now directly. But that depends on the director/assistant director and head of the English department.

They also use non-native English speakers in the EP. Their excuse that some Filipinos are "only" teaching subjects, not English" is a joke. How can you teach science in English, if you're not even able to have a decent conversation with a native English speaker? Too many lies.

Then we get to Assumption. I've met quite a few guys who taught there. Not making any assumptions now, but I wouldn't pay good money for my child's education. They're always seeking teachers, which shows a lot how satisfied those guys were, before they quit their positions.

Oh and last but not least Benjama. The ordinary program is really too crowded, only their good name seems to attract many students, similar to an Anuban school. The ordinary program is also occupied by an agency, not worth to put your child in there. 55 kids in a class makes teaching impossible.

They also have an EP, which seems to be a completely different world. My ex- assistant director has his boy in M.4 and I had to tutor him for quite a while. I couldn't believe it that a guy who went through 10 years of EP programs, first at Anuban, then Benjama, didn't understand easy English.

I found out that he wasn't the only guy who didn't understand his English teacher. His words were that the majority in his class wouldn't understand their English teacher from India. But he wasn't really from India, he must have changed his resume in a way that he'd lived in the US for quite a long time.

There's a Chinese school which seems to be okay. Others on this forum might know more details to help you out finding details about this institution. It really looks good to me, but their native English speakers are not always very native, I've met some at a competition and from all I've heard it seemed to be okay.

Another school is the catholic one. A private school with only Thais and Filipinos as English teachers, who receive 14 K/month, but housing is free.Seems to me that all the Filipinos there come from the same family, when listening to their English.

Was there because of a competition and couldn't communicate with them at all. The school is tidy and would be great with the right English teachers.

If you're not religious, it doesn't matter. Just tell them that you don't want your child to be taught about faith. Most of the Filipinos in Ubon belong to the "7th Day Adventists" and I know of some who wanted to teach their beliefs to Thai kids.

Then some other smaller schools i don't really remember their names.

Others from Ubon might know more. Best of luck finding the right school for your daughter.

Edited by lostinisaan

Just noticed the Youth Exchange School updated their "vision statement" after the coup.

"To develop an awareness of students to be proud of being Thai, posse moral and virtue, understand Thai democracy, and enrich with academic knowledge. To emphasize students with foreign language, be able to use modern technology, with aesthetics and perfect health."

cheesy.gif

Your post really made me laugh........keep them coming, please.-facepalm.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

Ok I will go first. I sent my son to the YES school in Ubon for 2 years. The reason we chose this school was that the English Program (EP) syllabus was 50 percent taught in English and 50 percent taught in Thai. My son had 4 years at an Australian primary school and his English was great but he only spoke Issan and couldn't read or write thai. In the first year the teachers were very helpful and he quickly gained a good grasp of thai, both written and oral. It all started going down hill after that.

As my son could read, write and speak English quite well he was continually roped in to participate in English speech competitions with other school in Ubon. He always placed quite high in these competitions. The school quickly took claim for teaching him good English. It got to the stage that he was often missing his own lessons so he could represent the school in these competitions. He was placed there to learn written thai and there he was being paraded as their English speaking wonder boy. Wifey wouldn't let me go into the office to vent my frustrations.

Enough of that rant. He was in a class of 6 or 7 kids. It seemed in the last year he was there that the teachers were always being used for other tasks apart from teaching. So the kids were often left alone in the classroom for the teaching period then given homework to be done at home. Most days he was getting about 2 or 3 hours of homework but was sitting around most of the day doing nothing during the school periods.

The school are supposed to have native English speaking teachers to teach the English program lessons. There were a few native English speakers but the others came from all over the place like phillipines, Germany, India, Ghana, France etc. It was ok for my son as he could already speak English well. The other students would have had major problems with the varying accents.

I chose this school as opposed to the religious based schools as I didn't want him to be brainwashed with Christianity like the religious schools in Australia. We removed him from this school and he is now back in Australia getting a far better standard of education. For the high school fees that we were paying I expected more that what we got. The facilities there looked good, the uniform is nice but there was no substance in their level of education for my liking.

A good post and very true. A couple of years back, when i worked for an agency in Bangkok.

After a seminar an employee of the agency drove us to the Isaan, a French dude and a German were planned for a school in Ubon,

I jumped out in Sisaket, even before we reached my house, as i couldn't get anymore.

The German guy constantly spoke German to me, which i found pretty rude. When I'd told him to speak English that all the others can understand what he's saying ,he replied that he couldn't say that in English what he was trying to tell me in German.

The French guy was always talking about the English "gay", who lived in the apartment in Ubon before, where he was planning to move in.

After three hours listening to his speech, I was so fed up and said to him:

" Listen dude. I don't want to hear your gossip about the English gay man anymore. How do you know if he's gay, if you haven't met him before?

And even if he's gay, that's not your problem, please mind your own business. Nobody cares what your sexual orientation is."

Then a long silence and the Frenchman said: " Oh, sorry. I meant guy, not gay. I've never met him, so i don't know if he's gay."

The perfect example in my eyes how difficult it can be to understand a "teacher,"

Even if you're in the same business for many years.

How should kids understand that?

Edited by lostinisaan

Certainly sounds like I did the right thing taking my son back to school in Australia. I actually was debating whether to change schools in Ubon but they all seem to be of a similar standard. Good to hear some input from others in the same situation that I was. Good luck

Why this big hang up about learning English at these Ubon schools? I wouldn't even worry about English. if one of the parents is a native English speaker learn at home, read English books and watch English movies. The whole English programme is a farce in most schools. Send your children there to learn Thai, incorrect right-wing history, some science and some math. Forget the English programs. Just go through the Thai program.

• Like 1

Why this big hang up about learning English at these Ubon schools? I wouldn't even worry about English. if one of the parents is a native English speaker learn at home, read English books and watch English movies. The whole English programme is a farce in most schools. Send your children there to learn Thai, incorrect right-wing history, some science and some math. Forget the English programs. Just go through the Thai program.

I think the emphasis on English stems from a need for Thailand to boost its English levels prior to ASEAN coming into effect. Apparently Thailand is way behind the eight ball in relation to their competency of English language. Having said that employing teachers from non English speaking countries who aren't trained specifically in English to teach English in schools doesn't work.

I am probably a bit biased in that I taught English at the Assumption EBP for four years and enjoyed it. My daughters attended there from P2 to P6 and did very well. I did have a few disagreements from time to time with various heads of department and a couple of directors. Everything was always discussed and you win some, lose some but overall it was better than several other schools that I have worked at over the last 14 years. Religion was never forced on the students, even by the adventists. Fees for the EBP run at about 17k per term plus books and uniforms. Only major gripe I have about the place (as with many schools) they can't get out of the mindset that a NES is only worth 30k as a starting salary. It does go up by a grand a month each year and there is a 20k bonus at the end of each contract. Eleven weeks holiday plus public holidays was tough to put up with.

My wife hails from Ubon, I support her and HER children and, in their opinion, there are no quality schools in Ubon ! The youngest will finish her education at an expensive private school in either BKK or Pattaya. Thai public schools do not provide an education and, in my opinion, only serve as day time warehouses.

To the OP: I lived in Isaan for a few years, built a nice big house for us and our baby we were pregnant with and as I was designing it I was envisioning how my son would be growing up there with a "can do" attitude of how I would make Isaan work and make up for all of its shortcomings. I spent a lot of time weighing up all of the schools in Ubon, none of them were even close to what I wanted for my child, then I had an impartial look at the culture and civilisation in Isaan and whether I really would want my children growing up there and the reality sank in that it would be the worst thing I could do to them so we abandoned the house and moved to Bangkok when my son was 2.5 to start a pre-school.

Now after a year of that another reality check has taken hold of me and I realise that I would not want my children to be educated in any Thai school or to grow up here in this country. So next year we are moving back to my home city in the UK.

We now have 2 kids and their upbringing is the most important thing to me. I loved growing up in the UK and I want my kids to have a similar experience that I had. I have no idea how it is to grow up in Isaan or Thailand but when I see how Isaan and Thai kids are that is really not what I want my children to be like to to grow up with.

Just something to think about.

To the OP: I lived in Isaan for a few years, built a nice big house for us and our baby we were pregnant with and as I was designing it I was envisioning how my son would be growing up there with a "can do" attitude of how I would make Isaan work and make up for all of its shortcomings. I spent a lot of time weighing up all of the schools in Ubon, none of them were even close to what I wanted for my child, then I had an impartial look at the culture and civilisation in Isaan and whether I really would want my children growing up there and the reality sank in that it would be the worst thing I could do to them so we abandoned the house and moved to Bangkok when my son was 2.5 to start a pre-school.

Now after a year of that another reality check has taken hold of me and I realise that I would not want my children to be educated in any Thai school or to grow up here in this country. So next year we are moving back to my home city in the UK.

We now have 2 kids and their upbringing is the most important thing to me. I loved growing up in the UK and I want my kids to have a similar experience that I had. I have no idea how it is to grow up in Isaan or Thailand but when I see how Isaan and Thai kids are that is really not what I want my children to be like to to grow up with.

I have 3 nieces and a nephew who live at my house in an Isaan village. I can't think of a better place to grow up. It is very much like the environment I grew up in, in a suburban subdivision in Canada, back in the late fifties, early sixties, unfortunately that environment doesn't exist in Canada anymore, at least in the urban areas, but it does here. My nephews and nieces grow up in an environment of very little crime, friendly people where everyone looks after everyone else, a close family environment, sometimes they will be gone all day and no one worries about them, we know they are safe. They are happy go lucky kids, a great up bringing. As for the education, I believe, just as when I was growing up, that has as much to do with the parents as the school. If the parents take the time to help the children with their school work, they should be fine. As for living in a Thai Village, the people in my village are very happy, the only thing that sometimes makes them sad, is when they watch TV and start to desire all the materialistic things, that have nothing to do with happiness. I know, I once desired those things, then had them. I am now happy just enjoying being around my nephew and nieces watching them grow up.

I have 3 nieces and a nephew who live at my house in an Isaan village. I can't think of a better place to grow up. It is very much like the environment I grew up in, in a suburban subdivision in Canada, back in the late fifties, early sixties, unfortunately that environment doesn't exist in Canada anymore, at least in the urban areas, but it does here. My nephews and nieces grow up in an environment of very little crime, friendly people where everyone looks after everyone else, a close family environment, sometimes they will be gone all day and no one worries about them, we know they are safe. They are happy go lucky kids, a great up bringing. As for the education, I believe, just as when I was growing up, that has as much to do with the parents as the school. If the parents take the time to help the children with their school work, they should be fine. As for living in a Thai Village, the people in my village are very happy, the only thing that sometimes makes them sad, is when they watch TV and start to desire all the materialistic things, that have nothing to do with happiness. I know, I once desired those things, then had them. I am now happy just enjoying being around my nephew and nieces watching them grow up.
It's not like that in our village and so its not for my kids. I cannot wait to move back to the UK for them to start the upbringing I want them to have. Edited by KunMatt
  • Like 1

I am probably a bit biased in that I taught English at the Assumption EBP for four years and enjoyed it. My daughters attended there from P2 to P6 and did very well. I did have a few disagreements from time to time with various heads of department and a couple of directors. Everything was always discussed and you win some, lose some but overall it was better than several other schools that I have worked at over the last 14 years. Religion was never forced on the students, even by the adventists. Fees for the EBP run at about 17k per term plus books and uniforms. Only major gripe I have about the place (as with many schools) they can't get out of the mindset that a NES is only worth 30k as a starting salary. It does go up by a grand a month each year and there is a 20k bonus at the end of each contract. Eleven weeks holiday plus public holidays was tough to put up with.

My wifes son went there for 5 years. Got his diplomas, "past" everything, he cannot converse with me in English ...... sad.png

• Like 2

My wifes son went there for 5 years. Got his diplomas, "past" everything, he cannot converse with me in English ...... sad.png

Hi Trans,

Your wife's son's English is pretty much similar to my ex-assistant director's son at the EP Benchama in grade 11. I've got kids in grade one now who can answer more simple questions.

So one would think for what people pay 25 K for one term. Our 16 year old son is only good in English, because we always speak English at home.

He went to the technical college after finishing M 3 this May. After one term "studying" electronics", the power switch of my speakers, attached to my PC broke down.

So I told him to take the screws out to take a look at it. I thought he'd just buy a new switch and change it, when I had to leave.

When I came back my wife and son came back from a shop where they fix electronic stuff. They paid 300 baht for changing an ordinary switch, which costs about 30 baht.

I know that you can do that by your own as well, so it wasn't about wasted money, when I was a sort of disappointed with him.

When i sat there and designed a math test for my grade one, i was asking him how much 9 times 8 would be.

I almost freaked out, as he had no idea "how to do" this easy task. But he studies math for nine years now.

I tutored a girl who attended grade 10 in an EP set up not too long ago. I prepared a science worksheet about herbivores, carnivores and omnivores.

It turned out that she had no idea what I was on about. But she knew that a car would be a living thing., because her mother told her so. The heart is the engine, air-filter the lungs, the lights the eyes, fuel the food, the exhaust system the end of the digestive process, also called ass.

Buddha, please help us all. facepalm.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

Your wife's son's English is pretty much similar to my ex-assistant director's son at the EP Benchama in grade 11. I've got kids in grade one now who can answer more simple questions.

So one would think for what people pay 25 K for one term. Our 16 year old son is only good in English, because we always speak English at home.

He went to the technical college after finishing M 3 this May. After one term "studying" electronics", the power switch of my speakers, attached to my PC broke down.

So I told him to take the screws out to take a look at it. I thought he'd just buy a new switch and change it, when I had to leave.

When I came back my wife and son came back from a shop where they fix electronic stuff. They paid 300 baht for changing an ordinary switch, which costs about 30 baht.

I know that you can do that by your own as well, so it wasn't about wasted money, when I was a sort of disappointed with him.

When i sat there and designed a math test for my grade one, i was asking him how much 9 times 8 would be.

I almost freaked out, as he had no idea to do this easy task. But he studies math for nine years now.

I tutored a girl who attended grade 10 in an EP set up not too long ago. I prepared a science worksheet about herbivores, carnivores and omnivores.

It turned out that she had no idea what I was on about. But she knew that a car would be a living thing., because her mother told her so. The heart is the engine, air-filter the lungs, the lights the eyes, fuel the food, the exhaust system the end of the digestive process, also called ass.

Scary!!

When everyone says that they will home school their kids at weekends to make up for the poor Thai schools, these kids in your story are going to be the friends and peers of your children and they will have a massive influence and affect on their upbringing, thinking and personality.

Edited by KunMatt

Hi Trans,

I almost freaked out, as he had no idea "how to do" this easy task. But he studies math for nine years now.

I asked him ONCE, and ONCE only, "Why do you not ask me to help with your English "..?

Reply,...."You not Thai".............End of story for me.............

In total agreement.

I expect my son and daughter's public school (primary)school to teach them to read and write Thai. They also have

a Thai and Native English teacher for English lessons. Unfortunately, their classmates are very far behind in speaking ability.

Maybe due to the fact most of the other students get next to zero English speaking in their homes.

I do believe primary students learn more at home.

I would also send them to the tutorial schools on the week-ends. All you need is a good educator and a very small class.

Parents need to take an active role in their children's education. Here or my home country, I wouldn't let the school be the only place for my child's education.

• Like 2

In total agreement.

I expect my son and daughter's public school (primary)school to teach them to read and write Thai. They also have

a Thai and Native English teacher for English lessons. Unfortunately, their classmates are very far behind in speaking ability.

Maybe due to the fact most of the other students get next to zero English speaking in their homes.

I do believe primary students learn more at home.

I would also send them to the tutorial schools on the week-ends. All you need is a good educator and a very small class.

Parents need to take an active role in their children's education. Here or my home country, I wouldn't let the school be the only place for my child's education.

This is the standard argument to gloss over how terrible the Thai education system is and convince yourself how everything will be fine because you will do the school's job for them and educate your child thoroughly. Just one question to all of the parents that are planning to do this; are you all qualified teachers with experience of how to properly educate children from 4 years old to 18, and follow the entire curriculum properly? I'm certainly not and although I have been through higher education it does not necessarily mean that I will be a great teacher who can aptly make up for 30 hours of teaching a week for both of my children. You will also have to undo all of the bad teaching your child goes through at school.

Ideally you CAN do it but that doesn't mean that is the way it HAS to be done. Instead of sending your child to a schooling system that you already know and state is terrible, why not just send them to a decent school from the beginning??

Of course as a parent you will be involved in teaching your children things no matter where you raise them but in Thailand you will have to do it all, and it is all totally down to you so if you have any work commitments, or for whatever reason you are called away from Thailand, who will educate your children during this time? What happens if you are not around anymore, your child will be stuck at a terrible school without your backup plan.

• Like 1

^totally agree. would love nothing more than my daughter to grow up in Ubon but the schools there are terrible. yes its true to a point that what the kids learn at home is important but theres no substitute for a decent education. the only true international school is St Stephens in Khao Yai with fees as big as anything in the UK to match

• 5 years later...
On 10/14/2014 at 1:20 PM, lostinisaan said:

Let's start with Ubonwittayakhom, in the center of Ubon, located at Sapphasit Road. This is a s called "World Class Standard School", but it might only look good from the outside. There're strange teachers, who hit kids. No gossip, I've seen it with my own eyes.

The kids there have two hours of English a week, taught by foreign teachers, two others by Thai English teachers. The school once had a good reputation, when they had some experienced teachers from Europe and one from the States. But that's already past.

Times are changing. They never understood that 25 K for an experienced teacher will never attract what they're looking for. Now they've got five Filipinos, who're pretty hard to understand.Their English writing skills are unbelievable, if you know what I mean. One Cameroonian woman and another guy from an African country. Please forget it to send your kids to that school.

YES seems to be constantly looking for teachers and they do have more non native English speakers, than they'll tell you. I've met the German lady who works there at a speech competition, where we had to be judges. She's a "real" English teacher from Germany and knows what she does.Would your daughter have her as her English teacher, it would be great. But.....................................

I've also met some other guys, I wouldn't like to have as a teacher for our son, to be perfectly honest. I was there for a job interview, but when i read my responsibilities, I had to tell them that I needed more time to think about it. I wanted to have a copy of the contract to show it to my wife, i said. Actually, i wanted to post it on a teaching forum, of course not mentioning the name of the school. .

They wanted me to teach for them and phoned me too often, even when I had told them that nobody would sign such a contract, teaching science to grade one, M6 EP, but also ordinary program. And being a homeroom teacher in grade four...and and and...

Next school would be Anuban. The EP seems to have a good name, that's all. A European, non native English speaking guy who seems to know all about nothing,does everything that really good and experienced native English teachers are badmouthed and leave school after s short period of time.

You really pay very good money for a questionable education.One term must be between 23 and 25 K.

The ordinary program is taken over by an agency.Always new backpacking guys, or those who can't make it at a good school, are the norm. They're planning to hire English teachers now directly. But that depends on the director/assistant director and head of the English department.

They also use non-native English speakers in the EP. Their excuse that some Filipinos are "only" teaching subjects, not English" is a joke. How can you teach science in English, if you're not even able to have a decent conversation with a native English speaker? Too many lies.

Then we get to Assumption. I've met quite a few guys who taught there. Not making any assumptions now, but I wouldn't pay good money for my child's education. They're always seeking teachers, which shows a lot how satisfied those guys were, before they quit their positions.

Oh and last but not least Benjama. The ordinary program is really too crowded, only their good name seems to attract many students, similar to an Anuban school. The ordinary program is also occupied by an agency, not worth to put your child in there. 55 kids in a class makes teaching impossible.

They also have an EP, which seems to be a completely different world. My ex- assistant director has his boy in M.4 and I had to tutor him for quite a while. I couldn't believe it that a guy who went through 10 years of EP programs, first at Anuban, then Benjama, didn't understand easy English.

I found out that he wasn't the only guy who didn't understand his English teacher. His words were that the majority in his class wouldn't understand their English teacher from India. But he wasn't really from India, he must have changed his resume in a way that he'd lived in the US for quite a long time.

There's a Chinese school which seems to be okay. Others on this forum might know more details to help you out finding details about this institution. It really looks good to me, but their native English speakers are not always very native, I've met some at a competition and from all I've heard it seemed to be okay.

Another school is the catholic one. A private school with only Thais and Filipinos as English teachers, who receive 14 K/month, but housing is free.Seems to me that all the Filipinos there come from the same family, when listening to their English.

Was there because of a competition and couldn't communicate with them at all. The school is tidy and would be great with the right English teachers.

If you're not religious, it doesn't matter. Just tell them that you don't want your child to be taught about faith. Most of the Filipinos in Ubon belong to the "7th Day Adventists" and I know of some who wanted to teach their beliefs to Thai kids.

Then some other smaller schools i don't really remember their names.

Others from Ubon might know more. Best of luck finding the right school for your daughter.

Old thread, I know.

I know nobody ever came to Ubon for the education but has anyone noticed that the schools have gone downhill fast in recent years? I mean they were never great but it is getting painful.

They tend to do a decent job of looking OK from the outside (private schools especially) but there's not much going on inside. And there are 2 Chinese schools. Maybe 1 is ok. I dunno.

I think in Ubon it is best to stick with the better government schools. There's too much smoke n mirrors with the private schools here.

From what I have seen the students really struggle to pass their national tests.

And then there are the EPs here charging up to 100k a year for kids to be taught all their core subjects by a TEFL department. Baffling. I would avoid that at all costs.

Anyway good luck to anyone searching for a school in Ubon. It is an ok place to retire maybe.

Edited by FruitPudding