How much to build a house in village 50 kms from Khon Kaen

toryboy1979

Please notice:

-first think do you want make the house in small village and live rest of your life there

-near city where is more shopping possibilities is better?

-rent the house first and live the village two - to three years

- if you still want to built make usufruckt for your life time, this means you can life in the house so long when you live.

- I know many falangs make house and then lose everything

- but all cars in your own name

-never trust for Thais, make paper agreenment with builders

and good luck because you need lot of it in Thailand wenn you are falang

I have built three houses and if you want more advice I give free for you

That's a department store not a house!

WOW, that's way too much to clean!

I have built three houses and if you want more advice I give free for you

LOL, built 3 houses, not sure I would want to be getting any advice from you.

Once bitten twice shy, then goes back yet again to build another, great stuff, you are da man.

After being cleaned out twice, builds yet another, i salute you sir.

I think it must be a hobby.

I once worked with a guy who had a fetish for wedding dresses, maybe its the same guy? LOL

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just built a house 20KM outside Sarakham for 500,000bt. It's a 2 bed, 2 bath bungalow, roughly 12 x 10 mtrs. It's no mansion but it has a big living room and the bedrooms are more than acceptable. My girlfriends parents and her son live there, she lives there while I'm at work overseas and I spend about 3 - 4 days every 2 months there and I'm delighted with it. If I was going to live there I would've built something bigger but I'm happy and they are delighted.

Her family own the land and it cost 70,000 to build up, the drive was an extra 40,000 and it took 3 months from start to finish

Good man yourself!

Finally a TVF member that doesn`t seem to have paid a farrang penalty when building his house of about 300%. Your picture is similar to the house I described in my last post for the same cost.

Looks nice

Great stuff, finally a post from someone who lives in the area, with local hands on knowledge.

Was in a bar in Pattaya the other week, some Danish guy was telling me all about Thai women and sin sot, this idiot had been married three times and built three houses, LOL.

Talk about a glutton for punsihment.

Far too much.

How can it be "far too much", if I share info to another expat, that can possibly save him a lot of future grief? Huh?

You can share all the info you want. In my opinion, buying something you cannot own is far too much.

Built a 68 square meter 2 bedroom, 1 bath house in a rural area about 5 years ago. Total cost: 440,000 THB, 6 weeks start to finish. The house is what I would consider a low-end western standard, with a Thai kitchen.

As others have done, we contracted with a local builder at a set price for labor, and purchased all the materials ourself.

Complete story with floorplan and bill of materials and costs are on coolthaihouse.

In 2009-10, I bought three 2bdr/2bth garden condos in Sarasota, Florida--where I can own--for approx US$40k each; I sold two of them for a nice profit and get several times my mortgage payment in rent on the other--that rent money, after taxes, management, and insurance; pays the rent, utilities, ISP, and cable TV here, and leaves me enough for a few nights out and some Jack and sodas. So, I recommend, if you want to buy property, buy it where you can own it, do it when the price is right, and rent it out. What you do with the income is your choice.

Wow 4 pages of comments and the OP has not asked one question or made one post since his original post. He must not be very interested in these comments so I will not post mine.

You are quite correct I have not made any comment since I posted as I have been laid low this week with virulent stomach bug and only returned to normal living last evening and it is very difficult to take my desktop into the hospital and no I do not have a laptop or smartphone!

I have now brought myself up to date with all the comments and some of you have been extremely helpful and others have told me what I already knew.

To those who told me what I already knew: Having taken a Thai national to court some years ago when they tried to assume ownership and sell a house I had bought, I am well aware of the depths of deception that some will go to. It took almost three years of court proceedings and it was a very difficult time for me as most of my falang acquaintences deserted me because their partners supported my opposition, but I won in the end and the house was mine and I sold it five months after the court decision. So I would never want to own another property in Thailand even if I could!

I do not dwell on my previous problem and life has to move on and that is what I have done. I am fast approaching the end of my life and if I can help someone I truly believe and trust in, then I will and that is my decision and mine alone.

There have been many posters who have written very helpful comments and to them I would like to say thank you for taking the time and trouble to impart their knowledge, I have already had a couple of PMs and I have answered them last evening and have yet to PM one more who lives very near to the area to which I referred.

Many thanks

Toryboy, Sorry to hear you were sick and glad you are felling better. I will give you my 2 cents. First, don't spend any money in Thailand that you can't afford to loose. Now that I said that I have built a western style house here in Thailand near Korat. 7 years ago it cost me about 11,000/sq.meter excluding land. This includes a western kitchen, water heaters, ac, external pump and plumbing. What I can say is if you are thinking of building do it NOW as it will never be cheaper than now. In the 7 years since I built the house costs have risen 30 to 40%. Good luck in whatever you decide.

A pic of our house.

IMGP0190-1_zpsb2dfb941.jpg

Rdrokit: A very nice house indeed- well done. From the pic the design looks very much like the house I purchased some years ago for which I paid 4.89 mil baht, but of course that was from a developer.

Having gone through the court process, my assets have declined somewhat so I will be looking for as much quality as I can get for the minimum price. However looking on the bright side there is a lawyer somewhere in Thailand who smiles all the way to the bank!

Thank you for your input.

I may as well throw my story out since it fits, although it's in the North, useful perhaps for price comparison purposes:

We've recently bought a home fifteen minutes North of Chiang Mai, 2 bed/2bath, 170 sq metres but sited on 215 talang wah of landscaped and walled gardens. Light airy, never been lived in, 4 years old I offered 3 mill. against an asking price of 3.9 mill which was accepted, I expect to spend a further 500k on furnishings, kitchen, bathroom, gutters, screens etc. The housing project is 20 years old, all dissimilar styles of housing ranging from 3 to 20 mill, not a large complex but a stunningly beautiful area. The cost breakdown looks something like this, land at 8k per talang wah and build cost of 8,500 per square metre. plus renovations costs of 3k per square metre. I couldn't build that level of quality or size, in that location, at those costs.

I recently built my mother in law a 200sqm house in my wife's village for 500k baht. It certainly isn't a show home at that price point but it is comfortable enough and has near western standard plumbing and elec. There were a number of factors that allowed us to build so cheaply.

1. Free Labour - All the labor was donated with the exception of a few things. (This resulted lots of rework as most of the guys were unskilled, luckily the welder and electrical guy reasonably good and free)

2. Steel Roof - Using a steel roof allowed us to reduce structural steel costs for the roofing support as well as reduced the cost of the columns and other structural components as our loading is much lighter.

3. Scavenging the old wooden floor, beams and posts from the old wood house that was there allowed us to build a second floor with mostly scavenged materials.

We built a separate 60sqm suite for ourselves for when we visit that is included in the 200sqm.

I can't see how anyone could do it cheaper than we did at only 2,500 baht/square meter and I think you should likely budget for about double that cost.

I would budget 5,000 baht/sqm for a local quality build using concrete, aluminum windows, light weight roof, modest plumbing and kitchen facilities.

10,000 baht/sqm gets you up to more farang quality but it isn't until you get pu into the 15,000 baht/sqm range that you start to get amenities like a western quality kitchen and appliances.

Above prices don't include the land.

Rdrokit: A very nice house indeed- well done. From the pic the design looks very much like the house I purchased some years ago for which I paid 4.89 mil baht, but of course that was from a developer.

Having gone through the court process, my assets have declined somewhat so I will be looking for as much quality as I can get for the minimum price. However looking on the bright side there is a lawyer somewhere in Thailand who smiles all the way to the bank!

Thank you for your input.

Hello toryboy,are you interesting in a house with 6 rai land close to Kranuan?

let me know

isaanpaul

For the OP, how many houses did you build and pay for your "girlfriend" in Farangistan?

If the answer is zero, why the need to do it here?

This girl is smart, you aint married so anything you build now you will have no claim on at a later date.

Why isnt the "girlfriend" able to get a mortgage and buy her own house, she is working isnt she?

Are you living here full time?

How long have you known this girl, how long have you spent in the boonies?

My best advice, buy a condo in Bkk before you marry (at a later date she will have no claim on it), rent the condo and use the rent to rent a house upcountry.

After knowing the girl for at least 5 years, and spending considerable time upcountry, then reconsider building, after consulting a lawyer.

Never mind, if your girl is "different" go for it.

I was told the same crap 20 years ago, I ended up buying land in Australia instead, relationship went South PDQ.

The upcountry land I was promised at the time (The Japanese and Koreans are moving in and buying everything buy now and make a fortune) is as worthless in real terms as it was then.

Anway to answer your question, Thai hovel, 50k baht, Thai mansion, 200k baht.

As harsh as it may seem ... there are some wise words in there.

It never ceases to amaze that someone always has to put in the "never invest anything in Thailand that you are not prepares to lose" Thai bashing line.

The same could be said for almost any western country where the law is usually on the side of the wife/woman/partner. It is most certainly the case in Australia as I have found out.

I can assure you that it is not solely a Thailand issue.

in a similiat vein no different in the uk, i had my own company, and also worked 44 hours in a factory, having 2 houses, she done jack sh*t, just drove around in a flash motor, by the way, on the divorce the judge in his wisdom gave her 1 house and the other one to me,, (with a deed of trust on it) cant sell until the occupants die) so i have been waiting 17 years so far for my money and living in a 1 bed flat. and she living in the house i bought, still i am enjoying life here now, just sticks in ya gut a bit.

in a similiat vein no different in the uk, i had my own company, and also worked 44 hours in a factory, having 2 houses, she done jack sh*t, just drove around in a flash motor, by the way, on the divorce the judge in his wisdom gave her 1 house and the other one to me,, (with a deed of trust on it) cant sell until the occupants die) so i have been waiting 17 years so far for my money and living in a 1 bed flat. and she living in the house i bought, still i am enjoying life here now, just sticks in ya gut a bit.

As Willie nelson once said, "I'm not going to get married again, I think I'll just find a woman that hates me, then buy her a house."

• 2 months later...

Our house was just finished with www.khon-kaen-house.com and I'm really happy so far.

I had 2 choices to pay, cheap or a bit more expensive with different materials. We took the second one which was "only" 300000 baht more but the quality of everything they used is really "Wow" .

I paid incl. land 3.6 mill for a 3 bedroom house on half rai land a bit out of Khon Kaen.

We went there everyday to check what's going on and that we not get ripped off. But we didn't find anything suspicious or that anyone even tried to rip us off.

Can really recomment. They were also very very fast.

I have recently had my 3 bed farang style house built with garage + boundary walls in Kranuan at a cost of 1.5 million baht .kitchen + aircon units were extra I did over see the build but the price was quoted by the thai contractor and that's what was paid to him .

but that was not incl land i guess?

I had everything included, Land, professional very modern kitchen, 2 bathrooms each 14 sqm, tiles to the ceiling, a prof. Aircon system with 5 regulators, ....

really happy with everything they did

No mickey just the build we had two bathrooms tiles through out including stainless palastrades but we did pay extra to have a better grade of steel .2 block skin walls with cavity pleased with finished product but I have been building house in the UK for 20 + years so was a bit easier to keep control of the standard of works you can get a good job done for a fair price if you know a little about construction

• 3 weeks later...

I am at a loss why Farangs need to build the biggest house in the village, situate their parking space so that everyone can see the SUV, the second car and the motorbikes, build a perimeter wall, and finish up with something that is much too large for the people living there. Hang on, thinking about it, maybe I do know why.

We live in an 8 x 8 metres house with the wife's granddaughter, (I am building a 3 x 8 metre extension) that I reckon I could build again for ฿200 000.-, double that with a new kitchen and bathroom.

Last year i spent 3 months in a village near Sakon Nakhon ..I stayed in a half farang half thai house...actually reminded me of my childhood house.

And your right do you really need all this extra stuff in the house...imported tiles etc .I was quite happy to live in a thai house ..had farang toilet/bathroom though...and sit in the shade doing my crosswords...didnt need a big fence around it...didnt need any add ons. It was neat clean tidy just like a normal 2 bedroom fibro house anywhere...but some people want others to look at them.

Just a simple lifestyle is ok without getting yourself into debt.

But some cant gave that and i remember a young farang in his 30's in the village who not only got a bank loan (foreign bank)to buy a house here in Sakhon Nakhon but even went as far as importing a Miele oven ...now why would u bother going to that expense ?

Only the best he would shout....when I just had a portable stove top.

He used to tell me it must be tough living on a low income but little did he know im financially well off...but im a minimalist and no way do i need to impress some bastard across the road.

Ridicilous...now he's gone back to Australia to work because he s in debt.

Some people are like that.they have to show off even when they dont have anything.

Even some people have to get "attention" so everyone sees them..putting their music loud blaring out at traffic lights ..." Everyone is looking at me"" they think to themselves as they try to keep a straight face sitting in their car to the deafening music..."everyones looking at me" !!!""they think proudly as everyone is realky thinking what a F ..tosser !

I too do not understand why farangs need to show off with big trucks ,big houses etc but if you are used to living in a certain style in your own country why change when you live in Thailand but they don't have to rub people's noses in it with the look at how rich I am attitude. We have a 3 bed house a good size 1 bedroom each for the kids and 1 for us everything we used to build the house came from Thailand at the best price we could get we have a large boundary walls (too keep our dogs in ) we don't have a car we use the bus when we need to go the city this way is fine for us but each to there own ideas .# livingthedream#

A standard block , tiled, three bedroom single story zincalume roof can be built around 6,500 - 7,500 baht / sqm

A Thai style wooden house made of hardwood will cost around 11,500 baht - 13,500 baht / sqm

This price is a good estimate, however it does not include any extra fixtures such as air conditioners, kitchen furniture.

It includes the house built standard including western toilet, fans, lights & all door hardware fitted and installed.

If your land is rice field or low you need to raise it at least 1 meter so allow another 150,000 - 200,000 baht for a standard house block. wai2.gif

I too do not understand why farangs need to show off with big trucks ,big houses etc but if you are used to living in a certain style in your own country why change when you live in Thailand but they don't have to rub people's noses in it with the look at how rich I am attitude. We have a 3 bed house a good size 1 bedroom each for the kids and 1 for us everything we used to build the house came from Thailand at the best price we could get we have a large boundary walls (too keep our dogs in ) we don't have a car we use the bus when we need to go the city this way is fine for us but each to there own ideas .# livingthedream#

and i do not understand why any Farang pokes his nose into the lifestyle of any other Farang and then mentions something about a "good size" house and using the bus when going to the city which is of no interest to anybody.

coffee1.gif

me i live with the wife and my beloved dog,as for rich,big bucks,big house,i dont have any claim to the dogs shit in the garden,the wife has it all. SO THERE.

Archived