BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toryboy1979

How much to build a house in village 50 kms from Khon Kaen

I'm hearing some awful stories on here with only a handful of happy people. Thinking of building a home/country get away in the GF's home town. As a qualified builder, would one be able to build their own home if they were living in Thailand on a non-B with work permit? I understand that construction is a Thai only job however this wouldn't be my job as i wouldn't be getting paid, I would be building my own home which is not for sale or for making money. The reason I ask is that stories of a basic house taking 6 years to 2 years to build and riddled with problem and sub-standard quality and finish is a worry. If I couldn't build myself I would make sure I was on site every day to ensure things were happening. A decent western style house should only take 3 months max if you know what you are doing.

7yrs ago i bought 7 rai of paddy field, we built one house very sucessfully and are near to completing a second, I have a good builder, I live 25kms West of KhonKaen

You could have a very nice medium house for 2.oM BATT excluding land, my second house approx 100 sq mtrs will come in at 1.25M, it is built and fitted to a high standard but I have bought materials very carefully , my builder took over after I had driven 28 piles

If you want to talk private message me, I am in BKK till sat late

My mate built a nice house there - near Dancoon GC the house and the land( 10 rai) cost 4 million baht. This was 4 years ago when land as much cheaper.

The house cost 4 million but he found out later it was actually 2 million.

If you can't build a nice big house with 2 million baht, there's something wrong - probably your woman is at the bottom of it.

I have a Beautifull house for sale close to Kranuan with 6 rai land.

Europeen kitchen,4 bedroom,2 toilet

From the 6 rai is 5 rai planted with rubber tree's and are 6 year old

1 rai with the house is compleet fenced with a concreet wall

Let me know if you and the misses are interesting I will you send some pictures.

Isaanpaul

Your story sir, has been recounted 100,000 times in the past 50-years, consistently ending with the exact same result. The foreigner gets royally "f***ed.

Here's more than you actuaclly asked for:

I already know, that I'm probablybeatdeadhorse.gif.pagespeed.ce.adWp7jUAu despite your asking for sound advice, but here goes.

The house-building cost factors are secondary, since it will probably cost, only as much, as gf's family/village cousins (the builders) can totally bilk from your ATM pocketbook.

Have you consulted with an English-speaking Thai attorney (of your choice) about it, yet? Or, are you "determined" to become another Richard Forbrain Society of Expats - statistic?

Do yourself a huge favor, buy a copy of Thistlewaite's "Money Number One". READ it, believe it, live by it, and, keep your mouth "shut" about having read the book. That book can literally save your life, in Lwai2.gifS.

Let the words to the wise scenario, be sufficient. Look @ KhunPer's post, and hope the builders have a clue, about that much. Good luck, and cheerscoffee1.gif

The costs of building a house depend on size, style and finish. Normally it’s cheaper to build in rural areas using a local contractor or work team, like Isaan, than in more developed areas.

As a hand rule, you can count 10,000 to 15,000 baht a square (10 sq. feet) for a basic construction cement/brick house with minimal finishing – i.e. a typical Thai quality – it’s the choice of finishing materials (tiles, wet-rooms, kitchen, aircons, lighting, etc.) that often bangs the price up. If you think of more Western style 20,000 to 25,000 baht a square meter is a realistic parameter.

You can buy books with design samples and when choosing one you can buy a complete set of drawings; or you can have a local architect to draw the house. Some architects will do drawings and engineer calculations for a fixed fee, including seeking a building permission. Often the architect will also like to quote for building, but do get more than one quote. Often up Isaan, you get the best quote by hiring a work team and buy all materials yourself, then you are also in control of quality and don’t end up with cheap stuff where you cannot see – like lower steel quality, thinner pipes under floors etc.

A little tip: Use waterproof cement for all construction, that’s about 300-400 baht per cubic meter, it stops the cement from cracking. And add waterproof it to the lender (plaster), can be obtained in 5-liter container (½ liter for 2 bags of cement) at building markets, as it stops it from cracking when drying up.

Wish you good luck...smile.png

Maybe you should check to see if you can build a prefab house they bolt together any knucklehead that can hold a wrench can assemble it. And after foundation and rough plumbing done up in 7 days. move in 14

I did one in Philippines 750,000 pecos finished 2b 2b 2 story so for about 1 million all in furnished too.

I won't bore with my build, but as said before only get a price for labor. Buy all your own materials. The guy we hired to build lived on site as did the crew he brought in. Local talent was hired for digging.

We built a 3 bedroom house last year for 1.5M, it was probably a bit more than if we'd gotten a local "builder" to do it, but we got a local "building company" to do it so that we could ensure a certain level of quality + a more accurate quote.

As we know that often local builders use poor quality materials or use methods which produce poor quality houses, and then they often end up blowing their quotes as well. We didn't want any of that, so we used the guys with the nice air conditioned office, who gave us very nice architectural designs and built the house exactly to their plans. They were pretty good, and for 1.5M isn't too bad.

We did initially think about using a local builder, as it would have made things a bit cheaper. But the one who seemed to have a quite good reputation (he built the house of a teacher I work with, and I quite liked her house), unfortunately passed away not long before we started looking.

So look around, and get your wife to get quotes from building companies in your local amphur etc, as there will likely be a decent quality building company there.

I REALLY CANT BELIEVE THE HIGH AMOUNTS BEING QUOTED HERE, THEY MUST BE MANSIONS OR SOMEONE IS REALLY GETTING RIPPED OFF.

WHEN BUILDING A PLACE IN THAILAND THERE ARE A FEW THINGS YOU MUST DO SO YOU DONT GET SCREWED OVER..

1. WHEN SELECTING A BUILDER NEVER USE A FAMILY MEMBER, THEY ALL AHVE FAMILY MEMBERS WHO KNOW HOW TO BUILD AND WHEN IT COMES TO TIME TO BUILD THEY CANT.

DRIVE AROUND THE AREA AND LOOK FOR WHAT APPEAR TO BE WESTERN STYLE HOUSES WHICH HAVE NICE CONSTRUCTION ( SELECT AT LEAST 5), ASK THE OWNERS TO LOOK AT THE HOUSES THEY LOVE TO SHOW OFF THERE HOMES, ASK IF THERE WERE ANY PROBLEMS WITH THE BUILDER? THEN IF THERE WAS NOT ASK WHO THE BUILDER WAS...ONCE YOU HEAR THE SAME BUILDER S NAME POP UP A FEW TIMES THEN YOU KNOW HE MAY BE AN OK BUILDER. ONCE YOU HAVE FOUND AT LEAST 2 BUILDER WHICH YOU MAY CONSIDER HAVE THEM GIVE YOU A QUOTE. THE QUOTE SHOULD BE BASED ON A BUILDING PLAN WHICH YOU SHOULD PROVIDE ( MANY PLANS ARE AVAILABLE ON LINE OR AT THE LOCAL BOOKSTORES) HAVE THE QUOTE BROKEN DOWN INTO 2 PARTS THE LABOR SECTION AND THE MATERIAL SECTION ALSO HAVE EACH PART OF THE CONSTRUCTION BROKEN DOWN SUCH AS CEMENT, ROOFING ELECTRICAL PLUMBING ETC......THEN YOU WILL HAVE A GOOD GUIDELINE TO FOLLOW. ONCE YOU HAVE BOTH QUOTES BACK YOU CANS ELECT YOUR BUILDER.

2. THE NEXT TRICK IS ONCE YOU HAVE A BUILDER AND A MATERIAL QUOTE YOU THEN MUST SOURCE THE MATERIALS YOURSELF...THIS ALONE WILL SAVE YOU ABOUT $200,000 BAHT.

I BUILT A HOME IN A SIMILAR AREA 2 YEARS AGO USEING THIS SAME METHOD AND SOURCED ALL MY MATERIALS AND I BUILT A NICE 125 SQUARE METER HOME WESTERN STYLE (3 BEDROOMS AND 2 BATHS/ INDOOR KITCHEN THROUGHOUT FOR $842,000 BAHT ALL IN.

MY FRIEND USED THE SAME PROCESS TO BUILD A HOUSE THIS YEAR AND HE SPENT A LITTLE OVER $1,000,000 BAHT.post-173536-0-01883200-1413366850_thumb. CLICK THIS ATTACHMENT TO SEE THE FLOOR PLAN.

HOUSE PICTURE: post-173536-0-92742200-1413367308_thumb..

THE LAST THING I CAN ADD IS WHEN SELECTING THE BUILDER IF HE ISA FULL TIME BUILDER WITH A FULLTIME DEICATED CREW YOU ARE IN LUCK AS THINGS WILL PROCEED SMOOTHLY.

GOOD LUCK AND IAM SORRY ALL YOU OTHERS PAID TO MUCH , BUT THIS IS THAILAND ..LOL

Since living here I have completed a total renovation of an old, tired Thai house. Also built a house in teak and one in brick.

The best learning experience was the renovation as it gave me insight on how to proceed with a new construction. Yes, there were heaps of problems on all the builds; expectations were not met, sacking people because of incompetence, delays, deviations from plans, etc, etc.

The best advice I can give from these experiences are:

* you need a good Thai network that is essential for a satisfactory outcome.

* you have to be onsite and observe all work; you are the project manager.

Prices will vary greatly depending on your requirements, your network and your management.

Sound advice indeed.

Thai's can throw a house together with the plumbing nailed to the wall and be perfectly happy. This would be around 5-6,000 baht/ sq mtr.

If you want a top end house go get a foreign builder and pay way too much. Thais still do the work and it comes with all sorts of shoddy surprises. I know from experience. Multiple problems and no warranty even if it is specified in the contract. Oh yeah they come out, play around and accomplish nothing in the end. 17000 baht a sq meter.

7,500- 8,500 per sq mtr will get you a decent house with no water heaters or a/c.

SWMBO built a house for her grand mother 6,600 baht/ sq mtr. 5 weeks and every one is happy. She could have got the costs down to 5,000 or less, but used better quality materials. The story is on coolthaihouse.