BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toryboy1979

How much to build a house in village 50 kms from Khon Kaen

Really, it is quite pointless to talk about projects older than the last few months since material cost have increase rapidly over the last two years. And why not give that in cost per square metre, that way the original poster can compare apples with apples in his area of Thailand.

Most if not all Thai houses these days are built with a single wall of rendered cement or lightweight blocks. A photo or quite a few would also help the poster to judge the finished result.

The poster could take his plans along to Siam Cement and get a materials cost using pre-streesed pillars and beams provided by a real Civil engineer.

As for taking a few years to outwit a rapacious family, lots of luck with that!

OP, make sure you get the foundations right. Piling isn't that expensive and it works well. I wasn't around when the last house was built and I'm forever filling large cracks. Don't go for the traditional pad foundation method, it doesn't work well at all.

A Thai neighbour recently built a very nicely appointed farang style house with piled foundations, five bedroom, three bathroom, lovely fittings and the lot came in at 3 million baht. That was a building company in KK, the house about 2 hours from there.

I was very impressed.

"five bedrooms, three bathrooms and the lot" without mentioning size of home and lot in m² does not contain satisfying information.

It's quite big and very fancy. Good enough?

I would say around 230sq.m. Internal area.

It's much nicer than my bungalow which regularly falls to bits and gets glued back together with mastic and putty.

"very fancy" is indeed a precise description. especially because it defines that the lot size is somewhere between 1/8 of a Rai and 32 Rai.

Really, it is quite pointless to talk about projects older than the last few months since material cost have increase rapidly over the last two years. And why not give that in cost per square metre, that way the original poster can compare apples with apples in his area of Thailand.

Most if not all Thai houses these days are built with a single wall of rendered cement or lightweight blocks. A photo or quite a few would also help the poster to judge the finished result.

The poster could take his plans along to Siam Cement and get a materials cost using pre-streesed pillars and beams provided by a real Civil engineer.

As for taking a few years to outwit a rapacious family, lots of luck with that!

thumbsup.gif

OP, make sure you get the foundations right. Piling isn't that expensive and it works well. I wasn't around when the last house was built and I'm forever filling large cracks. Don't go for the traditional pad foundation method, it doesn't work well at all.

A Thai neighbour recently built a very nicely appointed farang style house with piled foundations, five bedroom, three bathroom, lovely fittings and the lot came in at 3 million baht. That was a building company in KK, the house about 2 hours from there.

I was very impressed.

"five bedrooms, three bathrooms and the lot" without mentioning size of home and lot in m² does not contain satisfying information.
It's quite big and very fancy. Good enough?

I would say around 230sq.m. Internal area.

It's much nicer than my bungalow which regularly falls to bits and gets glued back together with mastic and putty.

"very fancy" is indeed a precise description. especially because it defines that the lot size is somewhere between 1/8 of a Rai and 32 Rai.

This was build cost not including land.

lovely fittings and the lot came in at 3 million baht

huh.png

lovely fittings and the lot came in at 3 million baht

huh.png

Yes to build it. He'd owned the land for many years.

This is about build costs.

We just finished our house 35 km away from Ubon.

1.4 million for the house construction, including mod cons. (though the architect / project manager later told us that in the future for a house like ours he would charge 1.7m cos he didn't make as much profit as he expected)

By the time we built a car port, put up a fence with gates, and bought decent furnature for the whole place, we were up to 1.8 million. And a retaining wall and extra earth, included in that as well.

If anyone wants more details or is interested in the guy we used PM me.

Here's some picspost-182195-0-92424500-1413416538_thumb.post-182195-0-75390000-1413416552_thumb.post-182195-0-81930900-1413416563_thumb.post-182195-0-43041700-1413417819_thumb.post-182195-0-46742900-1413417839_thumb.post-182195-0-78641500-1413417857_thumb.post-182195-0-69915300-1413416596_thumb.post-182195-0-07057000-1413416622_thumb.post-182195-0-77868500-1413417069_thumb.post-182195-0-72254200-1413417101_thumb.post-182195-0-68509900-1413417135_thumb.post-182195-0-44679100-1413417608_thumb.post-182195-0-41345600-1413417627_thumb.post-182195-0-15597100-1413417641_thumb.post-182195-0-35047400-1413417652_thumb.

post-182195-0-70829300-1413417060_thumb.

post-182195-0-55612000-1413417079_thumb.

post-182195-0-04247500-1413417124_thumb.

DO NOT BUILD A HOUSE!!!!!!!!

Cost estimates are just that,... ESTIMATES!!! My house, ...hahahaha, the house I paid for, .... was supposed to cost 1.5 to 2 million baht and take 6 months to build! Two years and more than 6 million baht later, ...... get the idea???

If you want to own a home, .. buy a condo in your own name! I was sure my wife was devoted to me, .. her family too, .. but the minute my money was spent, I was of no further use to them. They got everything! Do yourself a favor and only buy something that is already existing,.... so you can see what you get for your money, ..and only buy a condo in your name, ... then you are in control. Why give everything to a girlfriend. You can own it yourself and share it with her, .. but I bet she will bitch a moan about not caring about her if you do not build the house for her.

You married the wrong bird. Simple. You got ripped. I have heard of plenty similar stories, but there are also plenty of good stories too. Don't judge every Thai the same, just because you married into a wrong 'un's family. It aint our fault, it's yours. Should have done due diligence on the family and their habits before spending your wedge. Me, my farangland money ran out 4 years ago, but the business i set up for me and the missus here, keeps me here, puts the kids into school, food on the table and beer in the fridge. House and truck paid for. You make your own luck in life.

I just built a house 20KM outside Sarakham for 500,000bt. It's a 2 bed, 2 bath bungalow, roughly 12 x 10 mtrs. It's no mansion but it has a big living room and the bedrooms are more than acceptable. My girlfriends parents and her son live there, she lives there while I'm at work overseas and I spend about 3 - 4 days every 2 months there and I'm delighted with it. If I was going to live there I would've built something bigger but I'm happy and they are delighted.

Her family own the land and it cost 70,000 to build up, the drive was an extra 40,000 and it took 3 months from start to finish

post-215306-0-30538800-1413426967_thumb.

very nice place CHRIS respect to you,

I second that...looks nice.......................The method of construction greatly dictates cost. You can build a nice looking house with pre-formed posts with steel headers and a slab foundation, labor cost is minimual. You build a nice sized home with hand bent rebar, raised foundation, tile roofing, all materials grade A and the cost for house greatly increases. A quality built home could take say 5-6 months to complete. Say a 5 man crew was needed, average 10,000 baht a month per man, some more some less, you're looking at roughly 300.000 baht labor and that doesn't include the profit the contractor hopes to make on the deal.

A home built in typical Thai fashion with cheapest grade materials can be built much quicker and still look very nice. Up to you..............

would it not be better buying a house on a development or looking at homes for sale? less stress and you know the final price

would it not be better buying a house on a development or looking at homes for sale? less stress and you know the final price

If you've done some looking you'll know many are overpriced for what you get. The upside would be not having her family within daily reach.

Best way to KEEP COSTS DOWN is to keep the FAMILY UNDER CONTROL. Build house Slow but Sure over a period of 2-3 YEARS. UR the one with the MONEY so DON'T BE BULLIED. Plan EACH stage separately & pay as U go. INSPECT EACH STAGE.

U can say that every year U need to KEEP ur $$$ in Baht in a Thai BANK before you get ur next VISA. Come up with a reasonable STORY.

I just FINISHED a Beautiful 200 SqM MODERN Thai Style house, near Khon Kean for about B750,000 - Built over the last 3 years. Reinforced Concrete, Treated Wood, in house Bath & Kitchen, beautiful Tile 1st level, CRAFTSMAN Double Doors ect, ect.

I would NEVER BUILD a WESTERN Style House in THAILAND - I think it is "OBSCENE" & In BAD TASTE...!

I micro managed this project via Smart Phone from BKK where I have lived for over 30 years.

GOOD LUCK.

I just built a house 20KM outside Sarakham for 500,000bt. It's a 2 bed, 2 bath bungalow, roughly 12 x 10 mtrs. It's no mansion but it has a big living room and the bedrooms are more than acceptable. My girlfriends parents and her son live there, she lives there while I'm at work overseas and I spend about 3 - 4 days every 2 months there and I'm delighted with it. If I was going to live there I would've built something bigger but I'm happy and they are delighted.

Her family own the land and it cost 70,000 to build up, the drive was an extra 40,000 and it took 3 months from start to finish

Good man yourself!

Finally a TVF member that doesn`t seem to have paid a farrang penalty when building his house of about 300%. Your picture is similar to the house I described in my last post for the same cost.

Looks nice