How much to build a house in village 50 kms from Khon Kaen

toryboy1979

I am at a loss why Farangs need to build the biggest house in the village, situate their parking space so that everyone can see the SUV, the second car and the motorbikes, build a perimeter wall, and finish up with something that is much too large for the people living there. Hang on, thinking about it, maybe I do know why.

We live in an 8 x 8 metres house with the wife's granddaughter, (I am building a 3 x 8 metre extension) that I reckon I could build again for ฿200 000.-, double that with a new kitchen and bathroom.

I have met cooked and seen his house and other built projects, I can personally vouch that his house is nice and comfy, definitely not a rickety old shack.

however, I can't say that I have ever visited one of those farang mansions anywhere in Thailand. I did see the pictures and it's easy to figure out that they are obviously not cheap to build.

but I am quite modest when it comes to housing myself, I have lived in real Thai style sub par rooms/appartments in Thailand.

and if I was to be building I would definitely go bother cooked to get a few hints and tips and get him a case of beer.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A year after we married i came over for 9 months to build a house. Already had land beside Kutchap. We saw half a dozen houses getting built beside Udon Thani and loved the design. I arrived on the 5th July 2011. We phoned the number off the billboard advert beside the building site. The lady who owned the company said she could build for us for 950,000baht and came to meet us there one hour later. She drove us to Kutchap to see the site with one of her workers, to see if the land had settled okay. The very next day she transported a few workers to start building after we had decided on small interior and exterior details. She also had a contract made on paper to pay in 5 instalments on satisfactory completion of each stage. The house was finished in 2 months, and the builders were a really good bunch who stayed on site at my mother in laws next door and a few formed a lasting friendship with them that still has one or two come to visit them to this day. I paid an extra 100,000baht for a perimeter wall, steel railings and gate and a driveway. It has 2 bathrooms, 3 bedrooms, kitchen and lounge/dining area. During construction the lady got another 3 house building jobs with the same design with people passing and having a look during construction. Took all the workers out for a buffet night after as a thank you. Maybe we were lucky but we were about 40 km away in Udon Thani during construction and only came to see the progress every other day or when the lady phoned to ask us to come and see it. My father in law was friendly with them though and kept an eye on things. It is not inevitable that it will turn into a bad experience.

A man with "a good heart" as they say in Thailand. Of course they are referring to the mans generosity.

For a GF I would build a one room (4 by 8 to 10 M) house. It will cost less then 500K, give you some experience with contractors and u can always add on more rooms. She may not be too happy, but u will feel better if the relationship goes South. I have seen a few funny things in Thailand.

my mate was building his dirt poor gf a house in the village. another lady in the village was also having a house built. instead of being grateful that my mate was building her a house all he got was moaning and complaints that the other house was better.

around 28,000 GBP spent to complete 80% of the house before the relationship broke down. she didnt even have the common sense to keep him happy until the house was finished.

there's probably quite a few part built properties out there.

he ended up marrying a lovely filipino lady.

We are building a house inq nakhon sawan at the moment. Builders are paid per day, we get the materials ourselves after discussing what we want with the builders. The house is 96 sqm including a large outside balcony of 24 sqm, so indoors is 72 sqm. House is on 3 meter high concrete poles with foundation. So downstairs we have an extra 96 sqm living spaces with tiled floor. 2 bedrooms, one toilet, one bathroom, kitchen. Walls are qcon blocks 20 cm thick outside and 10 cm thick inside. Steel roof with trachang roof tiles. 4 meters high, 45 degrees slope, no fancy edges. I keep track of the costs in a spreadsheet and we have now spent about 700 k baht. I calculated appr. Another 100 k baht finished, with bathroom, toilet, simple kitchen, tiles, paint, electrics. So total 800 k baht, maybe 850 k. Thats about 12000 per sqm.

but that was not incl land i guess?

I had everything included, Land, professional very modern kitchen, 2 bathrooms each 14 sqm, tiles to the ceiling, a prof. Aircon system with 5 regulators, ....

really happy with everything they did

who or what are regulators? huh.png

would some kind soul please be kind enough and enlighten me how many m² living area "2 and 3-bedroom" houses have and in addition an explanation what exactly a "farang style" house is?

Typical modest 2 br house would be about 10m x 8m or 80m2. Add another 15m2 or so for another bedroom and you are up to 95m2.

If you want more than one bathroom, covered parking, covered outdoor seating areas the houses will get larger quickly. Outdoor areas will cost less per m2 but they will still cost. Small houses can be expensive on a per m2 basis as they still need all the expensive bits and pieces.

When people say "farang style" they typically mean that the roof is concrete tiles or similar, electrical and plumbing is to western standards, the bathrooms are fully tiled with western fittings and amenities and that some form of a western kitchen is fitted.

I would employ a good project manager after looking at work he had overseen already. Trust me it's just not worth the stress and conflict with the mrs trying to get builders to do things either properly or the way you want. Unless you are lucky with the builders they will do your head in.

I would employ a good project manager after looking at work he had overseen already. Trust me it's just not worth the stress and conflict with the mrs trying to get builders to do things either properly or the way you want. Unless you are lucky with the builders they will do your head in.

also some advice i took from an older and wiser farrang, i used all neighbours for labouring work,they all got a year work out of me, hence now nobody resents me and we all get along fine.

We are building a house inq nakhon sawan at the moment. Builders are paid per day, we get the materials ourselves after discussing what we want with the builders. The house is 96 sqm including a large outside balcony of 24 sqm, so indoors is 72 sqm. House is on 3 meter high concrete poles with foundation. So downstairs we have an extra 96 sqm living spaces with tiled floor. 2 bedrooms, one toilet, one bathroom, kitchen. Walls are qcon blocks 20 cm thick outside and 10 cm thick inside. Steel roof with trachang roof tiles. 4 meters high, 45 degrees slope, no fancy edges. I keep track of the costs in a spreadsheet and we have now spent about 700 k baht. I calculated appr. Another 100 k baht finished, with bathroom, toilet, simple kitchen, tiles, paint, electrics. So total 800 k baht, maybe 850 k. Thats about 12000 per sqm.

Just to give an idea here are some pictures:

post-225375-0-75517800-1423657077_thumb.

post-225375-0-31804400-1423657084_thumb.

post-225375-0-43179300-1423657087_thumb.

post-225375-0-95267700-1423657090_thumb.

post-225375-0-37974600-1423657094_thumb.

post-225375-0-91608400-1423657097_thumb.

post-225375-0-87391500-1423657101_thumb.

post-225375-0-73317700-1423657105_thumb.

post-225375-0-36231100-1423657109_thumb.

post-225375-0-96981400-1423657112_thumb.

A man with "a good heart" as they say in Thailand. Of course they are referring to the mans generosity.

For a GF I would build a one room (4 by 8 to 10 M) house. It will cost less then 500K, give you some experience with contractors and u can always add on more rooms. She may not be too happy, but u will feel better if the relationship goes South. I have seen a few funny things in Thailand.

my mate was building his dirt poor gf a house in the village. another lady in the village was also having a house built. instead of being grateful that my mate was building her a house all he got was moaning and complaints that the other house was better.

around 28,000 GBP spent to complete 80% of the house before the relationship broke down. she didnt even have the common sense to keep him happy until the house was finished.

there's probably quite a few part built properties out there.

he ended up marrying a lovely filipino lady.

And I imagine not going back to Thailand ?

I really love that style of house...does it have a name?

built this 5 year ago near sakon, live here with my wife and our daughter, cost me about 1.6 million at the time. the inlaws and family live in their home, i didnt get ripped of and no freeloaders come in my home, so u can do it if u pick the right person and u are lucky.

Beautiful looking home however just showed the wife and she wants! In the process of completing ours and like how you built the front of yours. Love all the glass door and windows.

Very similar to my house, except I have an extension out the back in the ground floor and a room and bathroom under the house at the back, so a total of about 162square metres, just under ฿8,000 per square metre, but that was 12 years ago, so you have done well, plus I think yours is finished a little nicer than mine, like the insulated roof, that I don't have. Also I just have regular clay brick, no qblock. I have tiled under the house also, and that's where I spend all my time, after I drag myself out of the bedroom.

so you have paid 12,000 baht psm based on the 72 metres only, is the footprint of the house 96sqm

so a single story 72 sqm would cost how much in your estimation

edit by the way the roof looks stunning

Look around the area

Find recently built places you like.

Talk, or have your wife talk to the owners of the places you like.

Chances are the ones you like and are reasonable are all built by the same guy.

The guy who built my house and out buildings has done all of the recent construction in our village.

He is good, trustworthy and very reasonable.

Small outfit,himself, his wife and son ( wife is the hardest worker!)

I first had a "vacation cottage" built.

Then when we decided to live here full time,had additions built for a kitchen and " living room" type space..

All for less than 20,000 USD.

The guy has come back twice for "adjustments"...

A crack in a wall, a potential leak in the roof.....

fixed at no charge!

He stops by every few months to see if there is anything that needs attention.

Talk to the people in the local community.....see who they hire, and hire the same crew.

Have your Thai wife do the negotiating, hide in the shadows and avoid the million + " rich farang" price!

Choke dee! ( good luck)

• 11 months later...

As I can't be arsed to trawl through all the posts to find out if someone has already covered this, forgive me if I'm repeating advice already given.

1. Infill

If you're going to infill land, don't do it the Thia way and just dump a metre or two of soil, do it in 30cm layers and roll each layer before laying the next. Failure to do this will allow the soil to settle, or even wash away during the next rain storm. Building on poorly prepared raised land can lead to subsidance.

2. Storm drainage

Plan ahead for drainage, install pipes if necessary, make it easy for the water to escape, don't do what the Thais did with my place, leave no escape for storm water and leave me fighting to stop a newly built wall collapsing as the rainwater washed to soil from under it.

Also the access to your land over the drainage ditch should have a planned drainage system, otherwise your gravel driveway will disappear rapidly at the next storm.

3. Find the right builder

Hand out small jobs to different builders in the local area, pick the one who is open to new ideas and listens to what you want.

A lot of the preparation on our place was done in my absence, and in my experience local building methods are rooted firmly in the past, most of them have no idea about any other way of doing things than the way their fathers taught them. I was here for the construction of the front wall, the posts and block base built by a cousin of the g/f, and the picket fence atop built by her old school chum. The latter would have looked like a dogs dinner if I hadn't intervened, the guy and his band of cowboys won't be getting any more work from me!

The g/f's cousin is prepared to learn, and I want to introduce building methods from home, and I know he is keen to be paid on a regular basis so he'll happily listen to what I want.

The g/f had a three room chalet style building built using the Thai method of four corner posts and a concrete pad laid on the raised soil (No sign of subsidance yet!) and a modern look to it that she was inspired by places we've seen on our travels. There is a lot about the place that I'm not entirely satisfied with, but at least I know what to expect when we build the main house.

I'm planning to excavate down to the original ground and build a basement structure that will rise about a metre above current ground level. The basement will be constructed from steel reinforced concrete mixed with a waterproofing addative (of the type used to build swimming pools), this will provide a family room and utility room/laundry that is cooled naturally, without the need for expensive aircon.

Steps will lead up to the main entrance on the ground floor level which will have the living room/dining room, kitchen and stairs to the first floor. The first floor will have the main bedroom, a guest bedroom and a bathroom. Out back will be a swimming pool.

Phase one was to build the chalet for our immeadiate living space, then I plan to build the main residence in phases over the next few years, starting obviously with the basement. The aim is to have it complete by the time I retire in 5 or 6 years.

I plan to keep some kind of photo journal of progress, and maybe put it up on a blog for all to see.

• 2 weeks later...

We built a house in 2008 not too far from Nam Pong ,12 km from Khosuankwang. In total with the land it cost about £28k but the exchange rate back then was between 67 and 70 thb to the £. About 4 km from our place some 3 months later another house with the same plan as ours was built, cost them about the same but the build quality was better than ours, I would just say make sure you get the right builder. If you need some local expat advice I would recommend going to the blue elephant at Khosuankwang on a Friday afternoon/ evening as there are usually a few ferang around and they may well know a decent builder .

Archived