Popular Car Number Plates Will Be Opened For Auction In Krabi

NBT TV Phuket

At least 300 popular or believed to be ‘good’ numbers for car number plates will be put on auction by Krabi Land Transport Office during August 5-6. The Krabi Land Transport Office chief Sommai Sudkhao said the auction provides an opportunity for those who are looking for attractive number plates of cars with proceeds going towards road safety campaigns. He explained that after being auctioned, the number plates fall under the property rights of the owners and that they can be transferred by selling or giving out to heirs.

from Andaman News TV11 (VHF dial) + Radio Thailand FM90.5 Phuket City, both broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces, 8.30am Tuesday 25 July 2006 & www.Thaisnews.com

{ Our news text and mini-videos can be freely copied and posted on other websites, but please give credit to Andaman News TV11 Phuket}

Can farangs own these outright?

Or do we have to set up dodgy companies? 30 year leases?

:o

A guy I work with bought one of those auction numbers for our province a few months ago. I just asked him now and he said 'Yes, you can. 100%'

I was also at the same auction and there was some silly money being thrown around. One guy paid just short of 2 million for the numbers 8888 and 9999. While I was there (for the 1st day only) there wasn't one number that went for less tham 100k.

Actually there are some advantages to having 'unique' numbers. In Thailand having 3 or even better 4 digits the same can construe to you having either money or connections/power. Having 4 numbers popular here like 4 x 5s or even better 4 x 9s enforce that feeling. Police are more likely to wave you on and if in an accident, just having a 'good' number can also give you an advantage. Funnily enough, a large percent of these numbered cars carry firearms too. :o

I have had in the past 4 x 4s and 3 x 4s and a single 8 and a 1, all got when purchasing the vehicle. And no, I didn't ask for them, they were just given to me. My friend has 4 x 7s and 1777 on his 2 vehicles and has never had any hassle. Having said that, the vehicle I have now is just a plain 570 and funnily enough I've never (yet) had any hassle either.

I think it's a combination of showing off your status and of course the poseur factor. I wouldn't spend large amounts on a number but if the amount was reasonable, yes I think I would purchase one just to be different I suppose.

A very unusual thing to say. This practice has been emphasised and promoted in Australia ( not the auction process check ebay for that) but the sale of personalsed number plates.

How can one purchase their current plate so it can be transferred to any car you may own?

There are companies selling numbers in Bangkok, they usually have pink/yellow shades. Starting price is about 15k for less lucky combinations and it goes upwards from there.

Traditionally "good" numbers have been reserved for people with power and connection but now any shmuck can get any number he wants for a reasonable price. Only top of the line numbers that demand big money will make you stand out, the rest is just stupid - putting you own numbers on a car doesn't make it as lucky as getting them by pure chance.

It's like trying to become 1,000,000th customer - writing the number on your forehead all by yourself doesn't give you the prize.

what is concept behind this? :D

Vanity... :o

Probably a better class and less opportunistic than most vanity driven activities. This numberplate thing is pretty well world wide

When you buy a good phone number, it has own benifit like easy memorizing, and i don't see any advantage to having No. plates

I wish not this happen to thailand, Look at the people attitude in those countries resulting from such practises :D

Edited by BKKDUDE

There are companies selling numbers in Bangkok, they usually have pink/yellow shades. Starting price is about 15k for less lucky combinations and it goes upwards from there.

Traditionally "good" numbers have been reserved for people with power and connection but now any shmuck can get any number he wants for a reasonable price. Only top of the line numbers that demand big money will make you stand out, the rest is just stupid - putting you own numbers on a car doesn't make it as lucky as getting them by pure chance.

It's like trying to become 1,000,000th customer - writing the number on your forehead all by yourself doesn't give you the prize.

You're pretty much correct in what you say ....

There are 3 yearly cycles in the number plate auctioning for most provinces. The pink and green shading are semi transparent drawings of important things/places/events found in the province of issue. These coloured backgrounds signify that the number was purchased at auction and actually belongs to the car owner and will continue belonging to him even if he sells the vehicle at a later date. It belongs to him/her for as long as they want to keep it.

Normal numbers with a plain white background as you say, were able to be 'purchased' from the Department of Transport issuing offices but I think there has been a clampdown on that recently, at least there has in my region.

I don't know why any of you would settle for plain old arabic numerals - when you can get chickens!

The real status is in how many chickens you have on the front plate........

:o

kenk3z

Edited by kenk3z