Report: ED visa in Savannakhet (leaving from BKK)

Very good report indeed. Just a few remarks.

From the bus station in Mukdahan Savannakhet to the new Royal Thai Consulate, the samlor (tuk-tuk) fare should not exceed 20 baht or 5000 kip per person if you share this vehicle with another person (if you are alone for this ride, 40 baht or 10000 kip should suffice). The samlor drivers will try to ask for a much higher fare, but it's quite possible to pay as low as I wrote: I did it very recently.

I did not pay any 'weird fee' at the border on my way back to Mukdahan. I only paid 5 bath more (overtime fee) for my bus ticket at the Savannakhet international bus station as explained here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/697299-worry-free-non-o-visa-savannakhet/page-12#entry8477611

Edited by ubonjoe
changed to Savannakhet
  • Like 1

From the bus station in Mukdahan to the new Royal Thai Consulate, the samlor (tuk-tuk) fare should not exceed 20 baht or 5000 kip per person if you share this vehicle with another person (if you are alone for this ride, 40 baht or 10000 kip should suffice). The samlor drivers will try to ask for a much higher fare, but it's quite possible to pay as low as I wrote: I did it very recently.

I did not pay any 'weird fee' at the border on my way back to Mukdahan. I only paid 5 bath more (overtime fee) for my bus ticket at the Savannakhet international bus station as explained here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/697299-worry-free-non-o-visa-savannakhet/page-12#entry8477611

Thanks for that Guy, does the Tuktuk stop at the border on the way to the Thai Consulate from the bus station?

From the bus station in Mukdahan to the new Royal Thai Consulate, the samlor (tuk-tuk) fare should not exceed 20 baht or 5000 kip per person if you share this vehicle with another person (if you are alone for this ride, 40 baht or 10000 kip should suffice). The samlor drivers will try to ask for a much higher fare, but it's quite possible to pay as low as I wrote: I did it very recently.

Thanks for that Guy, does the Tuktuk stop at the border on the way to the Thai Consulate from the bus station?

Sorry, I meant from the bus station in Savannakhet (not Mukdahan). Don't know if I still can edit my previous post. It's more clear in my other report here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/697299-worry-free-non-o-visa-savannakhet/page-12#entry8477611

Edit: Too late now for me to edit my previous post, but I have reported it and explained my mistake, hopefully, a mod will correct it soon.

Edited by GuyL

Are they requiring the same paperwork (from the school) as Vientiane?

My school insist me to go Vientiane, because they don't know the requirements in Savannakhet (none of the they students went there yet).

I'm really like to avoid going to Vientiane, because i hate waiting in lines for hours, under the sun...

Are they requiring the same paperwork (from the school) as Vientiane?

My school insist me to go Vientiane, because they don't know the requirements in Savannakhet (none of the they students went there yet).

I'm really like to avoid going to Vientiane, because i hate waiting in lines for hours, under the sun...

They ask for the same documents.

Check if any letter is addressed to Vientane. In that case you would need it address to Savannakhet.

That has to done before the application sent to to MoE, or that something the school can change before i go to the Consulate?

Thanks for the help!

The letter from the school need to be done again if it is addressed to a different consulate.

Gotta say man, thank you very mak mak for this post. It saved me so much research time seeing all this info in one spot!

As a side note, in case anyone sees this today (Oct 20), I just posted a related question, asking about bus schedule times today from Mo Chit to Mukdahan here.

Cheers!

I did this visa run yesterday successfully. Applied and picked up passport the same day. Just want to add:

Bus times from Mo Chit

You can check bus times from Mo Chit here: http://www.thaiticketmajor.com/bus/index.php?la=en. You can book in advance, although I wasn't able to. They had no bus times showing for the current day, which was the day I needed. I guess they don't do advanced booking for the current day.

Which bus time to take from Mo Chit

It seems most days have a lot of buses around 9:30 pm and 10:30 pm. I got to the bus terminal at 9 pm and the 9:30 tickets were sold out (at the one both I tried at least). So maybe you should try getting there at least an hour early if you didn't book ahead of time. Catch at 10:30 pm bus to arrive in Mukdahan around 7 am, in time for the first bus to the border, which I think is at 8 am. Actually I may have arrived at 8:30 am. Can't remember now.

The bus ride from BKK to Mukdahan

There are a lot of stops along the way where you can eat and pee. Try not to pee in the bus bathroom, it's absolutely disgusting. Bathrooms along the route aren't great either, but they are better.

Bus from Mukdahan to the Savannakhet

The bus from Mukdahan to the border goes all the way to Savannakhet bus terminal. No need to get a tuk tuk until you are in Savannakhet. Just make sure the ticket says Savannakhet. Maybe they all do, but not sure. Same thing in the other direction.

Although it's faster if you take a tuk tuk from the border to the consulate for 100 baht. As taking the bus to the terminal to the consulate is back tracking. Same thing in the other direction.

When I arrived at the Thai side of the border on the way to Laos, I was last in line at the check point booth. Then they made me walk to the immigration office because I needed to transfer the stamp from my old passport to the new one. That took me maybe 30 or 40 minutes, and the whole bus waited for me! I figured they would just leave without me, and I'd catch a tuk tuk, but maybe the driver thought I might have a bag on board.

Applying for the visa at consulate

I applied for a double entry, and he charged me for a single. I didn't notice. When I picked up my passport, it was a single entry. No explanation was offered, and I didn't notice until it was too late. So make sure the fee is correct when you drop off your PP. It was 1000 for a single, and I'm not sure what double entry is. And make sure you check your number of entries on the visa, and other details, when you pick it up.

• 1 year later...

Just back from Savannakhet. Non Immigrant O based on marraige.

No problems at all although you do still have to stay overnight in Savannakhet.

Night Market worth a walk through in the evening. Lins Cafe good in the afternoon for food and wifi and Pilgrims Inn good for Indian/Mexican/European food. All close to the Night Narket.

Was told to pick up passport 1500 the following day although the tuk tuk told us they open at 1400. Arrived at 1500 as was in no rush. No queue at all.