Ironically named famous Korean-American Chef Chang Loves Cheap Beer!

Jingthing

Including Singha!

My Name Is David Chang, and I Hate Fancy Beer For years I've watched craft-beer aficionados go on about their triple-hopped IPAs and cocoa-flavored English milk stouts while inside I've harbored a dark secret: I love cheap, watery swill. Singha, Tecate, Miller High Life—they're all the champagnes of beer, and for more reasons than you think

For all the debatability of my rant here, let me make one ironclad argument for shitty beer: It pairs really well with food. All food. Think about how well champagne pairs with almost anything. Champagne is not a flavor bomb! It's bubbly and has a little hint of acid and tannin and is cool and crisp and refreshing. Cheap beer is, no joke, the champagne of beers. And cheap beer and spicy food go together like nothing else. Think about Natty Boh and Old Bay-smothered crabs. Or Asian lagers like Orion and Singha and Tiger, which are all perfect ways to wash down your mapo tofu.

While I don't agree with everything David Chang says, he makes a great point about light cheap beers going really well with many kinds of foods, particularly spicy foods.

If you don't know who chef David Chang is ... well, have you been living under a rock?

http://www.gq.com/life/food/201410/david-chang-cheap-beer

My beer in Thailand is San Mig Light.

I wonder if it would meet Chef Chang's cheap beer approval?whistling.gif

Edited by Jingthing

I liked The Mind of a Chef series, Season 1, which featured David Chang, and was narrated by Anthony Bourdain.

David Chang also had a cameo in Treme, when the Kim Dicken's character worked at what looked like Momofuku, after having worked for Eric Ripert at Le Bernadin. Anthony Bourdain also penned a few of these Treme eps.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...