Visa ED in Penang, Malaysia

Hello all,

I will have soon all the papers from my thai language school. My teacher suggest me to apply in Penang because Kuala Lumpur don't do them anymore but i read a lot of bad things about Sadao Border : rude immigration officers, 20,000THB in cash to show ...

Did you do the ED Visa Sadao borders recently ?

Or do you have an other embassy in southeast Asia to suggest to me ?

Thank you all !

Take airplane i was i Penang Okt 5 to Okt 7, Malaysia Air 6000 Bath down and up and be on the Consulate about 08.00-08.15 in the morning before all the visa busses coming. If you take plane you must have 2 night on hotel.

Bjorn

You could choose another location to get your visa unless you are in the South already. But I have seen no recent reports of people having problems at Sadao. Perhaps immigration has cleaned up their act there.

If in the northern part of the country Laos is a good choice.

Actually, I just made a brand new 1 year ED visa in Kuala Lumpur. No hassles of any kind, except a bit rude officer - but I am sure she was having a bad day. Other officers were nice and patient. Clean and well organized small premises. PROS: Nice and clean area, no touts, no "agencies", no tuk tuks, no farang hippies/buns around, another world compared to Vientiane or Phnom Penh... KL is not cheap. CONS: KL is not cheap.
Oh about money: I don't know in Penang, but be aware that in this Embassy here they did NOT accept any currency other than Malesian Ringgit. Not even Thai Baht! So, do have the exact Ringgits with you, if you don't want to stumble around looking for an ATM or a currency exchange - even because, amazingly enough, the closer ones are about 1 km far, at the Ampang Park centre.

Actually, I just made a brand new 1 year ED visa in Kuala Lumpur. No hassles of any kind, except a bit rude officer - but I am sure she was having a bad day. Other officers were nice and patient. Clean and well organized small premises. PROS: Nice and clean area, no touts, no "agencies", no tuk tuks, no farang hippies/buns around, another world compared to Vientiane or Phnom Penh... KL is not cheap. CONS: KL is not cheap.

Oh about money: I don't know in Penang, but be aware that in this Embassy here they did NOT accept any currency other than Malesian Ringgit. Not even Thai Baht! So, do have the exact Ringgits with you, if you don't want to stumble around looking for an ATM or a currency exchange - even because, amazingly enough, the closer ones are about 1 km far, at the Ampang Park centre.

I suspect you did not get a one year multiple entry non-ed visa in KL. You got a single entry non-ed visa that will give a 90 day entry you plan to extend at immigration.

It is well know and it is also posted on their website you have to pay ringgits.

I suspect you are not studying at a language school. KL has not done ED visas for those for about a year now.

• Like 1

I've been in and out of the border at Sadao two times in the last month. No problems, no questions, not asked to show money, tickets or anything.

What is the country of your passport?

I had no issues at Sadao when I crossed like 5-6 months ago. Train was used the 2nd time around. This was with non-O visa, USA passport.

Also, Penang Thai Consulate only accept Malay Ringgit, so bring it with you, no known exchangers on-site. Georgetown Chulia St has plenty of money exchangers and Komtar has a few banks (local exchangers are usually a bit better with the rates/bills). But that is far walk to Consulate. The closest exchanger is on Burma St, there are Maybank and I think CIMB banks there near the Aroi Thai Restarant/Domino's Pizza. That's like 1.5Km away.

I'd say they are getting presented with some pretty weak evidence from people at the last chance Saloon. I got a spousal visa at Penang about a month ago. I got called to the window just as an African bird went up to ask a question about an ED Visa. Apparently she was going to college 2 days a week for 2 hours a day. She may well have a course to do , but people are going for snide courses just to get the Visa

I've been in and out of the border at Sadao two times in the last month. No problems, no questions, not asked to show money, tickets or anything.

I also have crossed the border at Sadao several times over the last year.

Never had a problem, no money asked etc.

Dutch pasport and visa exempt but never back to back always with several weeks in between crossings.

Given the admission of one poster on TVF who admitted that he does not go to school, but has an ED visa, and made false declerations to immigration then it is no wonder that tis is being tightened up. We have seen a lot of these "high net worth Digital Pikeys" abusing the ED visa, so that they can stay and work in Thailand.

I feel sorry for the genuine students who are now getting a harder time becasue of these visa abusers.

If it is any help to you I first did my ED visa in 2011 in Penang and it was easy peasy compared to Laos. There were about 20 people at the consulate and yes had to wait one day to pick up as well, but it was all very easy, the taxi driver knew where it was, it is literally like a house on a street.

Anyway coming back should be fine, as long as your school has all the paperwork done correctly that is the main thing going there, once coming back if given the visa you should have zero worries. I am on my 4th year now and was not even tested at the Thai immigration border at Laos, heck he didn't even ask me to take off my hat for the photo. I would suggest when you get in line for the stamp quickly eye up the officers, try and make a gut instinct and go with who you think will give you less hassle.

My experience was back in 2011 sure, but it was a lot easier than it was in Vientiane. I may go to Penang next year or somewhere else in Laos. Just make sure you have your documents, be polite and you should be fine, good luck.

• 8 months later...

yesterday return back from Penang.

1. came by AirAsia

2. staff at Embassy is superb! really nice and helping

3. got ED-visa next day at 14:11

4. there's an ass promising to get the van to Bangkok or wherever - useless, after 1 hr waiting returned money

5. next morning (how stooopid on me to waste a whole day) I took things in my hands - CAT free bus to Ferry

6. train to Bangkok is at 14 local time and fully booked (ticketing office closes for morning break 8:45 -10:15 don't waste time)

7. went to bus station near by and got the ticket to nice local bus to Alor Setar (nothern city somewhere) - about 11Ringit (~100 Thb)

8. Jumped on joined taxi to Thai border - it is not SADAO !!! cost total 30R for 3 of us - so another 100 thb

9. walked through the border - no questions, everything smooth and polite

10. 150-200m down on left side - join mini van - 58 thb to Hatyai

11. at Hat Yai bus station helluva super-dooper buses heading to Bangkok - 832 thb

12. about 5AM arrived to Moochit fresh and frisky

My point - f%#k those BS agents around KOMTAR with minivans - You can do it yourself just fine and much better.

yesterday return back from Penang.

1. came by AirAsia

2. staff at Embassy is superb! really nice and helping

3. got ED-visa next day at 14:11

4. there's an ass promising to get the van to Bangkok or wherever - useless, after 1 hr waiting returned money

5. next morning (how stooopid on me to waste a whole day) I took things in my hands - CAT free bus to Ferry

6. train to Bangkok is at 14 local time and fully booked (ticketing office closes for morning break 8:45 -10:15 don't waste time)

7. went to bus station near by and got the ticket to nice local bus to Alor Setar (nothern city somewhere) - about 11Ringit (~100 Thb)

8. Jumped on joined taxi to Thai border - it is not SADAO !!! cost total 30R for 3 of us - so another 100 thb

9. walked through the border - no questions, everything smooth and polite

10. 150-200m down on left side - join mini van - 58 thb to Hatyai

11. at Hat Yai bus station helluva super-dooper buses heading to Bangkok - 832 thb

12. about 5AM arrived to Moochit fresh and frisky

My point - f%#k those BS agents around KOMTAR with minivans - You can do it yourself just fine and much better.

Sounds good.

I saw return flights for 3000 thats cheap.

Strange is that my school not recommended Penang but I might give a shoot.

Will take gf with me.

Is it thais need visas to Malesia?