Comparison of language schools

brianp0803

Have anybody tried learning Thai at different schools and can comment on your opinions of strengths and weaknesses of each school?

Learning Thai is difficult. A comparison of 2 schools used by the same student would be informative.

Not limited to schools offering visa.

Anybody have suggestions on finding a good Thai language tutor?

I think a freelance tutor instead of paying a high rate to a school and the actual teacher keeps a little is better.

Is it allowed for people to give personal recommendation?

I am close to Asoke area but anyplace close to Bts is ok.

"Learn Thai Style" offers tutors, it's 300 THB per hour + travelling expenses, although you need to sign up for the course material first, which is around 1000-4000 THB, depending on the package you select. They have tutors all over Thailand (and in some Farang countries as well). I'm using one of their tutors at the moment, although I'm not using their course material (I might use it eventually, but I've only just started and have some specific areas I want to work on).

Walen (http://thaiwalen.com/) also has a school pretty much right next to the Asok BTS station, exit 5 from the BTS station I think, although there are directions on their website. They have group classes and private tutors available, so might be worth checking out.

Regarding reviews, I've been thinking about doing that for a while myself. Since as a moderator here, I often end up answering questions for people, yet only have my own experience to go on (I'm not going to say a place is good if I've actually been to classes myself). I've studied at Chula, AUA and have just started taking some private tutoring classes via Learn Thai Style. I'm hoping to check out a few others soon so that I can give people a bit better feedback when they have queries (Walen is high on my list of schools I want to check out, since they're a forum sponsor, thus often come up in discussions).

I'm just not really sure on what's the best way to go about it though, as most schools offer a 1h observation lesson for free, but that's not really enough to write a decent review. However a lot of schools only allow you to buy "packages", and I'd only want to attend 1 day's worth of lessons (3-5h of lessons), although don't mind paying for them, as I'd be learning while I was there.

Thank you.

I found their website and will explore.

I think need some time with their tutor before making a package commitment.

Did you need to first purchase course material before meeting any tutor?

Why did you choose this program?

Tried others before?

It sounds like there is a lot of online material but I have studied enough alone and pushing my friends to speak thai and send me messages in thai.

I want structured lesson.

I studied once at NISA and we just talked about and anything I wanted but then I used vocabulary I already knew. He never guided the lessons or offered suggestions.

You need to purchase the course material first before they assign you a tutor.

I just went for it as the one off cost was exactly that, a one off cost, and that I could always change to a different tutor from the same company if I wanted.

But I was really after a tutor, as I was coming to the conclusion that for what I want to do with my Thai at the moment, a tutor + self study is most efficient (and so will save me a lot compared to studying in language schools for the time being).

The initial cost to sign up is about 6000 baht only includes access to their website.

Still need to purchase material that seems more expensive than published books.

How many hours have you studied with your tutor?

I think it was about 6000 registration and around 4000 depending on the course and the pay for the tutors time.

Most schools want around 500 baht an hour at their school but the teacher may get only half of that.

I think you said you haven't used the material yet

I signed up for the upper intermediate package which was 3900 I think. But there's another package which is just 1800.

I probably should have signed up for the 1800 one instead, but I wanted to check out the materials from the upper intermediate pack, as I might use them later if they're good (I haven't actually looked at them yet, as already have a plan on what I want to do).

But yeah, each option has it's positives and negatives :) the ones which cost more per hour, but don't have that initial setup cost, are better if you're not intending on doing a lot of hours with a tutor.

I'm currently doing 4h per week but might increase it if I think it's really effective. So far I've only done about 2 weeks of tutoring though.

The registration cost is quite high to get access to their website and tutors.

Have you explored the resources you get for the registration?

Study materials for 2000-4000 baht is expensive compared to 600 baht for a book but I have not been satisfied with my self learning using published books.

You seem to be a satisfied customers with the tutors but not sounds like you haven't yet used the study materials or resources they give you.

Correct?

How long have you been with this program?

I have sometimes see tutors in coffee shops but not want to interrupt their lesson. I try to wait for them to finish, but usually doing my own reading and miss them leaving.

I still read thai slowly but strongly believe for me, learning using Thai script is important. Do the lessons use Thai script.

Assuming you can read Thai, in bookstores there are many children's books for bilingual kids. They write in Thai followed by English. It is intended for Thai students learning English but I use it in reverse and practice reading Thai. I recently bought Esop Fables. Reading complete stories with pictures is more enjoyable.

I think 4-6 hours private lessons is good because also working.

. The 4 hours a week in group lessons for Ed visa "students" "not working" is a joke but I don't make the rules.

I wish I could preview their materials. If they are serious about 30 dsy money back guarantee then I could try. If good quality then naturally they deserve the money and I would continue.

Long message but I tried to cover all questions

Just took a look through the course material now and it looks pretty solid, a lot better than the books I was using at Chula (Their main strength is awesome teachers, focused students & a very intensive course). There are heaps of worksheets and audio conversations which are specific to the course which I signed up for, and there are also lots of "general" articles about Thai which are in English (e.g. about how Thai time works etc), as well as videos about learning Thai, although the videos are also on youtube (Although they have a big writeup to go with them on the site). You can find the videos by searching for learn thai style on youtube.

The course material I've got uses Thai script, although also has a lot of English for describing theories and definitions of words etc. It looks like the course material I've got (upper intermediate) is for someone who's just started writing, or who can maybe write but isn't 100% sure about everything, as the first few lessons go over the fundamentals of reading/writing before getting into more about practising reading/writing etc. The later material in the package go over articles which are similar to magazine articles, although after each paragraph or two have a breakdown of most of the difficult words used in the paragraph as well as descriptions about how some words/phrases are used and about the Thai culture so that you can understand the article better. I should probably use these materials, as it all looks pretty well done.

As I said though, I've only been taking tutoring lessons for around 2 weeks, so I'm still checking things out as well. Although in general, I'm usually pretty satisfied with most things I do lol, as I'm a pretty easy going guy lol (One of those "The glass is half full" kinda people lol).

I've never studied with a private tutor anywhere else though, so don't know what other types of course material other places might provide (Or even what a bookstore might have lol, as I've never just done self study from a book).

• Like 1

Thank you for your suggestions.

I sent them an email.

I have had private lessons a few times and looked at many books.

I can learn some on my own but best to practice with native speakers.

I am nor good with tones and the importance of short and long vowels but extremely important for Thai people.

Also Thais not pronouncing r or changing to l sound is frustrating.

Thank you again for your suggestion

I have just found a language school in bangkok thay offers 200 hours for 250 baht per hour including the ED visa. Is this a good price? For a 6 mnth ed visa? Apparently I still have to go to lao and apply there and they apply for the paperwork with the ministry of education. I have only a 30 day stamp in my passport so what do I do now? Await the paperwork the go to lao? Or go to lao and get double entry visa? Please advise

I have just found a language school in bangkok thay offers 200 hours for 250 baht per hour including the ED visa. Is this a good price? For a 6 mnth ed visa? Apparently I still have to go to lao and apply there and they apply for the paperwork with the ministry of education. I have only a 30 day stamp in my passport so what do I do now? Await the paperwork the go to lao? Or go to lao and get double entry visa? Please advise

Are you looking mostly for a visa or also want to learn Thai?

I think you need more than 30 days to get paperwork but ask the school.

If serious about attending classes then take your time to pick the best school.

If just want visa then probably choose the cheapest of the big schools.

It sounds more expensive than I remember but with the recent crackdown more people on Ed Visa will need to attend classes and schools might need to have more classroom and teachers if their current students start attending class.

Why did you choose this school? Location or advertising?

Don't believe advertising.

Ask a couple students in a class you are considering if they consider the school a visa mill or real thai school.

Ask if students attend regularly. If after paying for classes the students don't attend then you know poor education.

Depends if you care if it is a visa mill..

I know several students at one of the more popular schools and they all call it a visa mill, but it meets their needs since they already speak thai but need the visa to stay in Thailand for their daily activities.

I assume you know you will learn minimal Thai in 4-8 hours a week unless you take advantage learning by being immersed in the language

I am wanting to learn to speak thai and read and write to highly acetal standards ..However I like the convenience of getting a ed visa too . One school tells me only 4 hours a week which is a little bit ...well not much really I thought. I speak 3 languages already bit want to converse fluently in thai rather than pigeon thai..

• Like 1

The government has the tiny requirements to get the visa but nothing preventing you from learning more.

I would suggest getting a tourist visa allowing you 6 weeks to investigate schools and allow 6 weeks after choosing the best school to get the paperwork prepared.

I am jealous learning languages is easy for you. Learning math is easy for me but language is difficult.

• Like 1

I love languages and the way one can communicate that way. German is my mother tongue English I have been speaking for over 20 years then Italian and now hopefully soon thai.. I don't really want to get to lao get a double entry visa and then have to go to lao again for a ed visa..is there no one here who can tell me a good school in bangkok one that has been used successfully by someone on here to learn fluent thai rather than being a visa mill?

A trip to Laos to get 2 entry tourist visa would allow you 6 months in Thailand.

You could start learning immediately but not need to go to Laos for 6 months.

If you are serious about learning Thai then the school is important.

Did you ask the school if even possible to prepare the necessary paperwork with the time left on your visa?

You may not have an option about first getting a tourist visa.

I think people have liked Chula university.

It is a regular university.

Probably more expensive, probably requires more hours, and serious students.

I think their visas are tied to their course length.

With an ED visa from a language school you must go to immigration every 90 days to extend the visa.

Yes I had a double entry before and yes the school said that they send the paperwork to the ministry every wednesday and average response is 4 to 6 weeks.. I will check out the university too .. but having been at university many moons ago.. u would prefer a smaller school for a more one to one session/s

Chula is about the same price, it's 27,000 for 100 hours (10 hours of which are activities rather than classroom learning). That's 100h over 2 months though, so you have to be prepared to work pretty hard. They also assist with the paperwork for visas etc.

I think that most language schools will help you on your journey to fluency, although they won't take you all the way there. To become quite fluent the main things are (as well as studying) a real desire to learn and being able to immerse yourself in the language.

You need to speak Thai outside of class and to be surrounded by it. Classes by themselves won't do that (unless you're putting in some major hours).

I think though, that if you can already speak 3 languages, then you're probably quite adept at picking them up, so it'll probably be easier for you than suckers like me who only start with English.

Thank you all for your kind assistance ..I am aware that in order to become fluent one must use the new language as much as possible. One of my main reasons is to talk to my girlfriend/fiancee parents . They always have a lot to say and I feel somewhat an outsider as i only understand bits of conversations and it is frustrating. Thank you again

• Like 1

I am still looking at the program

Learn Thai Style.

It is a 6 year old company offering lifetime membership.

I think it said 6000 baht registration fee and most courses are around 4000 baht.

The offer up to 30 day money back guarantee to look at website alone.

After you have paid a tutor for 1 hour and started to use their website then you can't get a refund.

Their guarantee is valid until you use their product. After you use their product one time then no refund.

I found several tutors on Craigslist.com with prices from 300-500 baht per hour offering to provide course material.

http://www.thaiwalen.com/en/Thai_Student_Visas this is the school I'm going to use . They offer the visa option free. And they have been recomended to a friend of mine who has told me that after 3 month he was able to converse to acceptable standard in thai. Exciting times ahead ;-)

as you mentioned, it depends on the student and how hard they try.

I know people after 3 months in Thailand speaking pretty good Thai.

The try to speak Thai every chance the get. They take advantage of having Thai language all around them.

They never went to any school.

Many people studied a language in high school 5 hours a week with homework and tests for 2 years and have marginal communication skills in the language.

Interesting the page of interest is about student visa.

From what you said you will learn any language quickly. You have a good skill.

Good luck on learning Thai.

• Like 1

http://www.thaiwalen.com/en/Thai_Student_Visas this is the school I'm going to use . They offer the visa option free. And they have been recomended to a friend of mine who has told me that after 3 month he was able to converse to acceptable standard in thai. Exciting times ahead ;-)

as you mentioned, it depends on the student and how hard they try.

I know people after 3 months in Thailand speaking pretty good Thai.

The try to speak Thai every chance the get. They take advantage of having Thai language all around them.

They never went to any school.

Many people studied a language in high school 5 hours a week with homework and tests for 2 years and have marginal communication skills in the language.

Interesting the page of interest is about student visa.

From what you said you will learn any language quickly. You have a good skill.

Good luck on learning Thai.

Thank you , I'm fortunate to have thai girlfriend too and she speaks excellent english as well. So I practice everyday already but still have a little trouble with the tones.

Let's see what happens ;-)

If you never attend a single class I think you will be speaking decent Thai soon.

I have been unfortunate that girlfriends that speak fluent English don't want to speak Thai with me.

They want to continue to practice and improve their English.

Not fair.

If you never attend a single class I think you will be speaking decent Thai soon.

I have been unfortunate that girlfriends that speak fluent English don't want to speak Thai with me.

They want to continue to practice and improve their English.

Not fair.

I think that some thai lady's prefer us guys nit to speak thai so we don't know what is being said.. I know this sounds a bit bad but best be on the side of caution?!

I am still looking at the program

Learn Thai Style.

It is a 6 year old company offering lifetime membership.

I think it said 6000 baht registration fee and most courses are around 4000 baht.

The offer up to 30 day money back guarantee to look at website alone.

After you have paid a tutor for 1 hour and started to use their website then you can't get a refund.

Their guarantee is valid until you use their product. After you use their product one time then no refund.

I found several tutors on Craigslist.com with prices from 300-500 baht per hour offering to provide course material.

Not sure about the 6000 THB registration fee you mentioned? I only paid ~4000 THB for the course and that's it.

Also having a gf who can help is a big bonus, sorta like having a live in tutor, I'd definitely recommend one (sorry you can't borrow mine tho lol).

I'm always asking my wife the meanings of words and how to use them etc when I hear/read new words etc. My wife and I mostly speak in English, since it a allows for more "deep and meaningful" conversations, but she will deliberately say some stuff in Thai just so I can learn/practice a little. I believe this has been a huge contributor to my level of Thai.

Although being single has a lot of opportunities too, I used to chat with soo many random Thai ppl when I was single. My mrs kinda frowns upon me talking to random ppl these days though.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so today I went to the Walen school at Sukumvit, I just did the 1h trial lesson, but figured I'd post a bit of a review about it:

I was only there for 1h, and only at one branch, so I can't necessarily apply what I saw to all of Walen, but I'll give my impressions anyway.

Walen Thai:

Staff:

I found the staff at reception to be really friendly and helpful, I was quite impressed by their English, and wouldn't have been surprised if they'd actually spent quite a bit of time abroad, as the staff member I spoke to was very fluent in English. The teacher I had also seemed really nice, her English was sufficient for teaching, and she seemed really nice and genuinely concerned about the students.

Teaching:

I was in an "Alphabet" class (I can already read/write, but this was the only class available when I arrived), and so I definitely wouldn't say the class was fun or exciting, although I think the methods would likely have been relatively effective. However, I was surprised that they weren't getting the students to also write the letters, only to identify/read them, as I was under the impression that because there are various different types of learners, reading/writing/speaking/listening should generally be integrated into each lesson.

Although maybe this is taught at a later stage by the teachers.

They also weren't teaching the consonant classes (or tones), but again this is probably something they'll do at a later stage (I didn't initially learn the consonant classes, and it only then took around 1-2h to learn them, and I can see how it would initially complicate learning the alphabet).

Price:

From looking at their website, lessons start from around 200 THB per hour (50h for 9955 THB). They have discounts if you purchase larger packages though.

Overall impression:

Overall, I felt that the school itself seemed to primarily cater to beginners, and has staff who seem well suited for that level (Good English + supportive & caring teachers). After discussing options with the receptionist, she referred me to a private tutor (Which I think Walen can provide), as she said there weren't any group classes available for what I wanted (I want to increase my vocabulary so that I can do things like read the newspaper/magazines). For what I saw them teaching (Alphabet class), I think their methods are fine, although do hope that they teach their students to write, as well as read the characters (primarily because it helps with retention).

I'd be interesting in attending one of their other classes, to assess their methods of teaching conversation, but today their conversation classes were only on in the morning, and I didn't arrive until after lunch. Although might look into attending one later this week (Although I've used up my free observation lesson already).

Yeah I quite like the Walen app, I got it a while ago. Do you have to complete the alphabet course before you can start the other types of lessons at Walen? I assume so, as learning the alphabet is a good foundation for learning to speak with correct pronunciation (And I think Walen is quite proud of not using any phonetics in their classes).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yeah I quite like the Walen app, I got it a while ago. Do you have to complete the alphabet course before you can start the other types of lessons at Walen? I assume so, as learning the alphabet is a good foundation for learning to speak with correct pronunciation (And I think Walen is quite proud of not using any phonetics in their classes).

Sorry in getting back late to this post.

I have been studying a couple of weeks now and I can honestly say that this school is using a great system of teaching thai.

You are quiet right that you must first master the alphabet of course as without it you cannot recognise the letters and also most importantly pronounce them in the right tone.

What really is interesting is that after a few lessons your ear gets used to the tones and it becomes easier to sound out the difference and copy it.

• Like 1