Is Pattaya really on the bones of it arse at the minute?

ryro88

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The figures are down certainly with the effect of a few bars finding it hard,if into disco,karaoke, girls then still many bars trading as normal or as near normal,as the figures have been dwindling i guess as much as any other country is suffering.

I'm flying from the UK to Darwin AUS and was going to stopover in Thailand/Pattaya for a few weeks to break up the trip but if it's as bad as people are saying i maybe just forget about the stopover and get straight to Darwin. I have been in pattaya before when it was pretty dead and it was pretty boring tbh. I just wanted to know if it has picked up any.

Edited by ryro88

Was in Pattaya last week and it sure looked slow to me. All the beer bar on second road from south pattaya to the north roundabout were dead. I mean I have never seen it this bad. Second road was however under construction and getting new blacktop. Soi LK had a few farangs hanging around but I think mostly locals. Walking street had many people walking around but mostly Russians, Chinese, Indian and local Thais. Very few farangs around.

January is a high season, now it's a rainy low season .

If you consider Pattaya being dead, what makes you think other places are busy?!

So are you saying that Pattaya is NOT quieter than in previous years ??

No. I am saying it is , just as the rest of Thailand .

However OP is planning trip in January , which is a high season.

• Like 2

Although Pattaya is relatively quiet at the moment, January is "high season".

Either way, you can always find fun and entertainment here.

Pattaya offers an enormous variety of whatever you want, or dream of.

If you've never been here before, my recommendation is come and try it.

• Like 2

Although Pattaya is relatively quiet at the moment, January is "high season".

Either way, you can always find fun and entertainment here.

Pattaya offers an enormous variety of whatever you want, or dream of.

If you've never been here before, my recommendation is come and try it.

I've been 7-8 times over say the last 6 years but my last visit it was pretty quiet and I didn't enjoy it as much. I maybe will just bite the bullet and take a chance.

Re Post 18 Apart from the shitty weather, you say there's a vibe around Pattaya that's not pleasant. I didn't experience any "unpleasant vibes" so can you elaborate on these please? I know many expats there and they were all as happy as usual so I'm curious as to what these "unpleasant vibes" involve?

The bars are probably empty because everyone is stuck in traffic. Never seen it this bad. Yesterday not only was Sukumvit backed up on both directions but the railroad "bypass" was also backed up all the way to Hua Yai

That's because after the rain half of city was flooded for a few hours, they also ripped up 2 road , not to mention a number of soi's

There's a vibe about Pattaya right now that's not pleasent. Been living here solid a decade in central, maybe the long low season has taken it's toll on the locals. Also it's wet right now and many sois flooded which adds to the shi##y atmosphere.

flooded about twice this year for about 2 hours each time, hardly going to have any long term emotional effects on most people I suspect

Come to the darkside ,the clientell at the bars never changes ,no high or low season ,just the same customers all the time ,and no trouble ,lovely.

NO, DON'T! Stay over the other side. :) Actually, don't give a monkey's about the bars, other than to see them enjoy good business, but certainly we don't need any more traffic here, especially drunk drivers.

There's a vibe about Pattaya right now that's not pleasent. Been living here solid a decade in central, maybe the long low season has taken it's toll on the locals. Also it's wet right now and many sois flooded which adds to the shi##y atmosphere.

Would say its a non vibe

Edited by loppylugs1

I went into Pattaya Saturday morning to do some shopping, and as I was driving down South Pattaya Road, it struck me just how ugly Pattaya is. I'm not bashing the place, but it really is an amazingly ugly city. The infrastructure is badly decrepit with a jumble of wires, signs and nothing of interest or attractiveness. Not to be insulting to its residents, both long and short term, but I just can't understand why anyone would choose to live there. I'm happy that it has the shopping I want and that I can scoot in to grab what I want then get back out.

Maybe its very run-down appearance and gross overcrowding are contributing a little more each day to keeping people away. Its substantial amount of crime doesn't help, either. Unfortunately, the Pattaya local government has let it go for so long without any planning or improvements that making it an even tolerable place to live for many of us is beyond hope.

A visit from the Whinging Police is in hand for you

• Like 1