Manchester City

mrbojangles

been a City fan all my life and seen some things that I defended when if they had been a ManUre fan I would have been outraged - but I just watched Thatcher on the yourtube link and that is absolutely disgusting. I will be angry if the club doesn't do something about it. He isn't fit to wear the shirt IMHO.

For plonker Nev, Salford is not Manchester you eeeeediot and what does it matter how close to the City Centre it is. Where do you hail from BTW?

stockport mate now live australia.

i never said salford was in manchester read my post mate.

oh how i touch a nerve only things you have to hold on to is that united are not from manchester ok maybe we should be called trafford united, who cares we are in the greater manchester area.

my take on the thatcher thing is if that was rooney the whole country would be after him being banned for a very long time.

• Replies 28.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

been a City fan all my life and seen some things that I defended when if they had been a ManUre fan I would have been outraged - but I just watched Thatcher on the yourtube link and that is absolutely disgusting. I will be angry if the club doesn't do something about it. He isn't fit to wear the shirt IMHO.

For plonker Nev, Salford is not Manchester you eeeeediot and what does it matter how close to the City Centre it is. Where do you hail from BTW?

stockport mate now live australia.

i never said salford was in manchester read my post mate.

oh how i touch a nerve only things you have to hold on to is that united are not from manchester ok maybe we should be called trafford united, who cares we are in the greater manchester area.

my take on the thatcher thing is if that was rooney the whole country would be after him being banned for a very long time.

Newton Heath.... :o

redrus!

Hey Red and Nev, stop trying to hijack the city thread. Talk about your United sh1t in your own thread :o:D

Ben Thatcher

Thatcher suspended by football club 25/08/2006 17:03

Manchester City can confirm that Ben Thatcher has been suspended from first team action pending the results of the club’s internal investigation into the incident involving Pedro Mendes during the game with Portsmouth on Wednesday.

The player will miss today’s home fixture with Arsenal. Ben Thatcher fully agrees with this decision.

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/default.sps?pagegid=...p;newsid=357960

From skysports

Manchester City ended a troubled week with a tremendous result, as they inflicted their first-ever Premiership win on Arsenal with a 1-0 success at Eastlands.

Ben Thatcher's ugly challenge on Portsmouth's Pedro Mendes in midweek had provided the backdrop for the meeting of the two sides, but City rose from adversity to score their first goal and win their first three points of the season against Arsene Wenger's misfiring Gunners.

Joey Barton's first half penalty was enough for Stuart Pearce's side to triumph, as Arsenal showed no sign of casting aside the away-day blues that afflicted their campaign last season by missing a host of chances.

Robin van Persie and Kolo Toure both hit the woodwork in the opening 45 minutes and fragility at the back and a lack of cutting edge up front prevented the North London side from capitalizing on recent defeats for rivals Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur, whilst they are already eight points behind Manchester United - albeit with a game in hand.

Italian striker Bernardo Corradi, returning to the City side after his sending off against Chelsea, fired an early warning as he headed over the bar after four minutes, whilst former Gunner Paul Dickov was proving to be his usual prickly self, as he tried to claim a penalty after tangling with Johan Djourou.

At the other end, Arsenal skipper Thierry Henry was put through on 14 minutes as he beat the offside trap, but after ducking inside Richard Dunne, he looked slightly out of sorts, as Nicky Weaver produced a fine save to deny the French superstar from close range.

With their own left back missing after disgracing himself in midweek, City clearly thought Arsenal's left flank was worth attacking and Justin Hoyte showed he will struggle to fill the boots of Ashley Cole after being exposed on a number of occasions.

Trevor Sinclair was one beneficiary, as he burst forward and squared for Barton, but the tenacious midfielder guided his shot wide. City starlet Micah Richards was also unable to test Jens Lehmann as he headed a corner off-target, but the tide began to turn in favour of The Gunners.

Henry explained earlier in the week that he is only at 60 percent fitness, and it showed in his finishing as Arsenal's all-time record goalscorer again beat the offside trap to collect a super through-ball from Cesc Fabregas before dragging his shot wide on the turn.

Arsenal's reluctance to shoot on sight led to intricate yet over-elaborate build-up play, no more so than when Henry danced right across the face of the box before scooping the ball well over, and their captain was again guilty of a miss when he was gifted the ball after a mistake by Sylvain Distin and shot straight at a grateful Weaver.

Gunners new-boy Tomas Rosicky, making his Premiership debut, was largely subdued in the first half but one foray down the left flank opened up a great chance for Gilberto before a great block from Stephen Jordan denied the Brazilian, whilst van Persie also smacked the post with an angled shot after being played in by Alexander Hleb.

Despite their dominance Wenger's side continued to look vulnerable down the left flank and, eight minutes after Corradi called Lehmann into a save from a diving header as he connected with Dickov's cross, Hoyte handed City the chance to score their first goal of the season as he clattered into Sinclair, as the midfielder controlled the ball in the box.

Barton made no mistake from the spot, as he punished Arsenal for their wastefulness by ramming home his penalty off the underside of the crossbar, leaving Lehmann with no chance in the Gunners goal.

Stung by the surprise development, Arsenal then had their own appeal waved away after Dunne and van Persie came together, and the Dutchman's impassioned protestations saw him receive a yellow card from referee Uriah Rennie.

The ability to beat the City keeper continued to elude Arsenal when Toure flicked the ball off the top of his head and onto the crossbar from a corner, but City showed they were capable of claiming a second when more suspect defending meant Lehmann had to deny Corradi in the dying minutes of the first half.

After the break, City were successful at stemming the tide of Arsenal attacks, and Barton took advantage of a static Gunners midfield when he burst forward and fed Dickov, who guided his shot straight at Lehmann.

Henry's frustrating afternoon continued when even one of his trademark quick free-kicks was claimed easily by the attentive Weaver, and whilst the North London outfit were able to keep possession in large swathes of the contest, they lacked width and still struggled to find a cutting edge in the final third - with Fabregas curling a shot wide on the turn just before the hour.

The Spanish schemer then played to his attacking instincts with another forward foray, but after van Persie stretched a leg to collect the pass, the striker angled his shot wide of Weaver's far post.

After a difficult week and unproductive start to the season, City were putting in an impressive display, and Jordan showed no lack of ambition when he let fly with a volley that soared over the bar after Darius Vassell shielded the ball at the corner flag for what seemed like minutes.

In his time of need, Wenger turned to the teenager who had supplied two assists in 30 minutes of football so far this season, as Theo Walcott entered the fray with 25 minutes to go to supply some searing pace and width in place of the quiet Rosicky.

Belarus international Hleb provided penetration as he ran deep into the City box, but his pullback was too high for his onrushing team-mates and another chance went awry, as The Gunners continued to push for an equaliser.

A clever quick free-kick from Ousmane Dabo helped to relieve some pressure, as he set Sinclair free on the right wing before Lehmann intercepted his low cross, whilst on 78 minutes, Dickov tried an ambitious lob which never went close to troubling the German international.

At the back, the young Richards was doing a superb job of marshalling Walcott, and the City defender also did enough to put off van Persie as he ran from deep and headed a Fabregas corner inches wide.

City closed out the game with minimal fuss to provide the perfect antidote to their difficult start to the season, whilst Arsenal were left ruing a number of missed opportunities at Eastlands in another flat away display.

We did alright. Thought all the back 4, corradi and dickov impressed, plus Nicky kept us in it. Nice to have the run of the green for a change isn't it, remember that bolton home game last season where we hit the timber 5x and lost to a pen in extratime.

Doesn't Dickov look a better player with a few more years experience.

We've got to get that left side midfield sorted out though, Vassell worked hard but just like Sinclair he always cuts back inside on to his right.

I enjoyed sunday for a change - lets have more like that.

Not sure if this is in the right forum or not....! :o

Link.

Man City's gay recruitment drive

From the Council House Stadium

Manchester City is the first professional club to have signed up to a scheme to help it attract more gay fans and staff;

The club has paid a four-figure sum to join the Diversity Champions scheme, run by gay rights group Stonewall.

It is the first professional club to join the scheme, which focuses on a range of gay-friendly initiatives.

The club said it wanted to send a welcoming message to gay, lesbian and bisexual supporters, be inclusive and be a progressive employer.

Stonewall chief executive Ben Summerskill described Man City's decision as a "significant step" for English football.

He said: "Manchester City should be congratulated for putting their head above the parapet and moving into the 21st century."

It is mainly about Manchester City wanting to be an exemplary employer

Ben Summerskill, Stonewall chief executive

In the next few weeks, the organisation will be looking at specific areas to target and work on with the club.

Mr Summerskill said: "The work can range from looking at recruitment processes to what's already going on in the workplace, to developing marketing strategies.

"It is mainly about Manchester City wanting to be an exemplary employer."

Mr Summerskill said he believed that a more gay-friendly environment would attract more straight fans, as well as homosexuals, because families were more likely to attend an atmosphere free from homophobic abuse.

He added: "If we help to get the club more supporters, more money and better staff, then they will have better training, better facilities, and it is all part of a virtuous circle of success."

redrus :D:D

post-16343-1156756343_thumb.jpg

Well fair play to City for getting involved in this, but, i wish we hadn't been the first thereby leaving ourselves oprn up to the jokes brigade (Men City as The Sun is calling us), oh well at least the 'Poofs for City' uses our lovely old badge (brings back good memories).

Anyway back to Arse game (pun intended), who was everybodies man of the match. Reports i've read on the net today have given it to Dunney, Dickov and Weaver. I thought Dicky (and i'm not a great fan) had the best game i've seen him have for us, but Nicky deserves it for keeping us in it (bloody hel_l he deserves it for what he's been through these past years - read he hasn't started a game for us since 2001 when Royle was in charge).

Well fair play to City for getting involved in this, but, i wish we hadn't been the first thereby leaving ourselves oprn up to the jokes brigade

Yeah i agree. But the rest will follow suit soon :o

Anyway back to Arse game (pun intended), who was everybodies man of the match. Reports i've read on the net today have given it to Dunney, Dickov and Weaver. I thought Dicky (and i'm not a great fan) had the best game i've seen him have for us, but Nicky deserves it for keeping us in it (bloody hel_l he deserves it for what he's been through these past years - read he hasn't started a game for us since 2001 when Royle was in charge).

Difficult to decide. Dicky was a pain in the arse to Lehman (goal keepers get way too much protection for my liking). Dunney must be the most improved player of the premiership, over the last 3 or so years. But i think Nicky just tipped it for me. If he carries on playing like that, it will be hard for Isaksson and Hart to get a game.

COME ON CITY!!!!What a superb result and typical City just when things look hopeless they confound us with a battling performance such as witnessed on Saturday.I happily eat my words (for a game anyway)regarding Dickov,the wee man gave everything and well with that attitude he inspired everyone in City,s colors.Now lets build on this and try to get a run together something weve been unable to do since getting back into the Premiership.

Totally agree Totlanh :o

Latest on Ben Thatcher. I personally think that this is punishment enough and well done to City for acting swiftly and harshly.

Manchester City defender Ben Thatcher has been suspended by the club for six games after his horror challenge on Pedro Mendes, as well as being fined six weeks' wages.

The City left back has been widely condemned for the forearm smash that sent Mendes to hospital last week, and the Premiership club have now imposed their own punishment on the Wales international.

Thatcher has been handed a six-game ban by Stuart Pearce's side, two of which are suspended, meaning he will miss the upcoming ties against Reading, Blackburn Rovers and Chesterfield after also being left out of the squad for the 1-0 win over Arsenal last Saturday.

As for the fine dished out by City, two weeks of the six will also be suspended, as they look to take a stance against the ugly challenge which was condemned by Pearce following the game.

City chief executive Alistair Mackintosh confirmed that the Eastlands club felt compelled to act with haste after Portsmouth midfielder Mendes suffered a seizure and was left unconscious in the ugly incident.

"As custodians of the club and football in general, the board and the manager felt it was important to act as soon as possible," Mackintosh told City's official website.

Thatcher has also been charged with serious foul play by the Football Association, despite being shown a yellow card at the time of the incident, with Greater Manchester Police also conducting an investigation.

Andrew Cole

Sky Sports News understand Manchester City striker Andy Cole is having a medical at Portsmouth.

The 34-year-old emerged as a shock target for Harry Redknapp on Wednesday and is now likely to move to Fratton Park, should he pass the necessary medical tests.

Cole suffered with a serious knee injury last season, but has since returned to fitness, and City boss Stuart Pearce appears to be resigned to letting the former England international leave Eastlands.

Pompey are stepping up their transfer activity ahead of Thursday's transfer deadline, having already captured Benfica midfielder Manuel Fernandes on loan on Wednesday.

Chief executive Peter Storrie has indicated that Redknapp is keen to sign a fifth striker and Cole now seems set to be the man to provide competition alongside Nwankwo Kanu, Benjani Mwaruwari, Svetoslav Todorov and Tresor Lomana Lua Lua.

City, who signed Bernardo Corradi and Paul Dickov over the summer, have confirmed that Cole is determined to leave the club.

"We note the public comments made today by Portsmouth chief executive Peter Storrie regarding Andrew Cole," read a club statement.

"Manchester City can confirm that while we do not wish to lose Andrew at such a late stage in the transfer window, he has expressed a desire to leave the club and join Portsmouth."

Totally pissed off with Cole.Is there any loyalty these days...NOT.Anyway what a terribile time to loose your best forward 1 day prior to the closure of the transfer window and thus means we cant bring a new striker in until Jan,and one of the reasons we struggled towards the end of last season was because we could,nt score goals,and why was this,yep,because we were minus Cole.Once again City are in the Poo because of a Judas piece of shit :D:o

Manchester City have tied up the loan signing of PSV Eindhoven ace DaMarcus Beasley.

The USA international has moved to The City of Manchester Stadium on a season-long loan, with a view to a permanent deal.

Beasley is under contract to PSV until 2008, but has been allowed to test his skills in The Premiership with City.

The winger, who operates on the left flank, is due to be unveiled at a press conference by City next week.

The 24-year-old joined PSV two years ago from MLS club Chicago Fire and he won the Eredivisie title last term.

He also played for United States in the World Cup in Germany earlier in the summer and will now continue his career in England.

City boss Stuart Pearce had been looking to strengthen the left side of his midfield, after opting not to sign either Albert Riera or Kiki Musampa permanently.

Beasley arrives at Eastlands on the back of City's decision to sell Antoine Sibierski to Newcastle United. More.............

French midfielder Antoine Sibierski has joined Newcastle United for an undisclosed fee, City have confirmed.

Sibierski, 32, made 64 league starts during his three years stay with the club and has signed a one-year contract at St James' Park.

A Kevin Keegan signing from Lens in August 2003, Sibierski found it increasingly difficult to command a starting place last season and failed to make Stuart Pearce's starting line up in the first three league games of this season.

Manchester City have tied up the loan signing of PSV Eindhoven ace DaMarcus Beasley.

The USA international has moved to The City of Manchester Stadium on a season-long loan, with a view to a permanent deal.

Beasley is under contract to PSV until 2008, but has been allowed to test his skills in The Premiership with City.

The winger, who operates on the left flank, is due to be unveiled at a press conference by City next week.

The 24-year-old joined PSV two years ago from MLS club Chicago Fire and he won the Eredivisie title last term.

He also played for United States in the World Cup in Germany earlier in the summer and will now continue his career in England.

City boss Stuart Pearce had been looking to strengthen the left side of his midfield, after opting not to sign either Albert Riera or Kiki Musampa permanently.

Beasley arrives at Eastlands on the back of City's decision to sell Antoine Sibierski to Newcastle United. More.............

French midfielder Antoine Sibierski has joined Newcastle United for an undisclosed fee, City have confirmed.

Sibierski, 32, made 64 league starts during his three years stay with the club and has signed a one-year contract at St James' Park.

A Kevin Keegan signing from Lens in August 2003, Sibierski found it increasingly difficult to command a starting place last season and failed to make Stuart Pearce's starting line up in the first three league games of this season.

Best news for a long time Sibierski away at last,cant believe anyone would actually pay money for the waste of space.............Dont know a thing about Beesley,smacks of any player will do to me!!!I recall Pearce saying he would give the kid Miller a chance on the left hand side but apart from a couple of sub apperances he is yet to honour this.Lets just hope Beesley works out better that Riera and Musamapa,not holding my breath though!!! :o

See were on ESPN on 01.55 am Monday night (Tuesday morning think that is) against Reading.

Be interesting to see if SP plays our new yank wide left or plays on the side of caution and goes with a more defensive-minded player (Danny Mills :o ).

Think Dickov and Weaver has proved us all wrong so far this season, eh! Been two of the better players.

Be interesting to see if SP plays our new yank wide left or plays on the side of caution and goes with a more defensive-minded player (Danny Mills :o ).

Hope it isn't the latter :D

Think Dickov and Weaver has proved us all wrong so far this season, eh! Been two of the better players.

Yep, especially Dickov. Little irritating git (to the opponents, not me) :D

Didi Hamann is close to full fitness ahead of City's Monday night match at Reading.

The German midfielder has been forced to miss the start of the season after picking up a foot injury on the tour of China, but Stuart Pearce is anticipating that the 33-year-old could feature for the first team soon.

"He’s trained with us with no problems at all. I think he’s got that much experience that if you wanted to pitch him in at anytime it’s not a problem because he’s a good pro and is one of those that you can trust fully. In an ideal world you might want to wait a little bit longer but I think he gets everything he needs out of the training sessions."

Having a player with Hamann's experience to call on at some stage was, according to Pearce, all part of his transfer policy over the summer.

"That was the whole plan with building a squad during the summer. On paper it would be good to keep the same team that beat Arsenal but it's great to look to the bench and have the likes of Didi and Hatem Trabelsi there.

"It certainly looks to be a lot stronger bench than last year, and that's no disrespect to the younger players that were there then. The main thing for me is to have as many fit players as possible.

"I would say that Didi would definitely be available, with Hatem we are still checking his fitness levels over the next few days."

Meanwhile, Reading skipper Graeme Murty faces a race to be fit for Monday after a freak accident in training.

"The players use a bungee wire that helps with their resistance training and it snapped right back onto his knee," Royals boss Steve Coppell told the club website.

Quote from THE SUN...tuesday September 12th

READING THUMP CITY

Reading produced a magnificent display to thump Manchester City 5-0 to confirm their intentions of attaining a Champions League spot this year.

An own goal from Joey Barton started the route after just 10 seconds, one of the fastest goals in Premiership history. Directly from the kick off Leroy Lita poked a hopeful ball towards the City goal and for some reason Barton controled it well then rounded his own keeper to thrash the ball into the net (Gallas eat your heart out).

Further strikes from Lita, Sidwell and 2 more own goals from Barton saw him walking off with the match ball...and a very long meeting with Stuart Pearce. In fact he could have scored 4 as when Reading were awarded a penalty for a handball by Barton in the 65th minute he was invited to take it by the Reading players, he agreed but sent the kick out of the ground :o

Speculation is rife that Barton will be confirmed as a Reading player in the January transfer window :D

In a post match interview Barton said that he was just in the wrong place at the right time and found it difficult to resist scoring goals as he has not done so well in a City shirt this season

Then I woke up :D

Well am i pissed off this morning!!!Once again ty pical bloody City.Following our great win against Arsenal we go and ###### it all up and get beaten by Reading for crying out loud.No disrespect meant to Reading but it was evident that City were the vastly superior team and we had huge portions of possesion in one 10 minute period according tro sky it was over 72%!!but we justr cant put the ball in the net!!!!This apart from being embarrising is becoming a serious problem.1 goal from 4 games and none from open play.Guess what?We are the only Club in the country with this unenvious statistic!!!I really do despair because as ive all ready alluded we actually played really well last night but were lacking the final ball and our ever glaring weakness on the left hand side was there for all to see!!

On the positive side nicky Weaver was superb again and i really feel he is justified no 1 status and indeed will be very annoyed if Pearce(who i am beginning to question somewhat)drops him.Also Dunne was equally superb along with Distin.Sinclair ran hisa socks off again and Barton looks like he is getting back to his best.So its not ALL doom and gloom but heck we really need to sort out our strike force!!!

All the best for the rest of the season to you as well Mr.B

Cheers TP :D I'm a tad gutted this morning :D But well done Reading

Well am i pissed off this morning!!!Once again ty pical bloody City.Following our great win against Arsenal we go and ###### it all up and get beaten by Reading for crying out loud.No disrespect meant to Reading but it was evident that City were the vastly superior team and we had huge portions of possesion in one 10 minute period according tro sky it was over 72%!!but we justr cant put the ball in the net!!!!This apart from being embarrising is becoming a serious problem.1 goal from 4 games and none from open play.Guess what?We are the only Club in the country with this unenvious statistic!!!I really do despair because as ive all ready alluded we actually played really well last night but were lacking the final ball and our ever glaring weakness on the left hand side was there for all to see!!

On the positive side nicky Weaver was superb again and i really feel he is justified no 1 status and indeed will be very annoyed if Pearce(who i am beginning to question somewhat)drops him.Also Dunne was equally superb along with Distin.Sinclair ran hisa socks off again and Barton looks like he is getting back to his best.So its not ALL doom and gloom but heck we really need to sort out our strike force!!!

Yep, not much to add to that. Except that, the sending off for Dabo was ridiculous, no intent, no elbow and now he will miss vital games. :o

Archived