Manchester City

mrbojangles

Samaras brace sinks Hammers :D

By Alex Dunn - Created on 23 Sep 06 Sky Sports

A quality Georgios Samaras double helped Manchester City banish recent dire form and condemn a West Ham side heading in the wrong direction to a 2-0 defeat.

The rangy striker was a stand-out performer in a game that will not live long in the memory but for Stuart Pearce results are very much the currency he craves over performances.

West Ham may be a permanent fixture in the sporting pages these days but there is precious little on the field sparking for Alan Pardew's side at present.

The first 45 minutes were devoid of anything that even flirted with the notion of quality, as nervous passing was very much the order of a bright day in Manchester

With Carlos Tevez forced to settle for a place on the bench alongside Pardew, City had to contend with the reinstated strike force of Marlon Harewood and Bobby Zamora and it was the latter that had the first real chance, when he poked wide on the stretch from Christian Dailly's delivery.

Earlier and Ishmael Miller, promoted to City's starting line-up by an under fire Pearce, had on three occasions worked a shooting opportunity only to blot his copy book with meek efforts. West Ham would not heed the warning.

Samaras' assured touch when dropping deep provided rare occurrences of excitement and on one such foray, he emerged down West Ham's left but after cutting inside, a curling effort was bent a yard wide.

Just past the 20 minute mark saw West Ham defender Anton Ferdinand limp out of the contest and with his departure, a previous assuredness was lost from the visitors' backline.

As the half slumped to its conclusion, Miller would have opened his account if five yards from goal he had connected with his head rather than shoulder, while Bernardo Corradi was ponderous after being played in after an energetic run from Micah Richards and the chance was lost.

At half-time City's tannoy blared the Stone Roses classic 'I am the Resurrection' and while the home side's second half resurgence was, perhaps, not quite of biblical proportions - it was certainly impressive.

Whatever Pearce said at the interval certainly shook up his charges, for within five minutes they were ahead. Miller picked up possession down the left in his own half and with a rampant menace made surging progress into West Ham territory.

After his shot from the angle was blocked by Dailly, Samaras took the ball on his chest on the edge of the area, spun, before hooking a sumptuous half volley beyond Roy Carroll.

Moments later and the Greek hit-man could have conjured a second, as his shot from the edge of the area drifted a yard wide. His disappointment would, however, prove short-lived for in the 72nd minute he grabbed the second of a superb brace.

Strike partner Corradi dropped deep and after the Italian's clipped pass exposed a static West Ham defence, Samaras was a model of composure in dinking a delicate finish over an advancing Carroll.

Tevez and Carlton Cole were summoned from the bench but City repelled any advances with relative ease and it was the name of Samaras on the lips of the majority of those inside The City of Manchester Stadium come the game's climax.

Well done Blues :o:D

• Replies 28.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes good result but as i said after the Arsenal game WE NEED CONSISTANCY!! no good now going to Everton on Sat and getting beaten we need to build momentum and put a string of results together someting unfortuantly under SP leadership thus far we have failed to do and this is one of my concerns relating to his managerial abilities,but PLEASE Stuart prove me wrong!!!! :o

Totally agree, totlanh :D

MrBO..i thought Miller was superb and hopefully is going to fufill his promise,however i read in a local paper that Arsenal are on the verge of signing Richards in January and right enough he has,nt agreed a new contract.Its so frustrating is.nt it we can never hold on to our best players so how can we ever build a competitive team???!! :o

MrBO..i thought Miller was superb and hopefully is going to fufill his promise,however i read in a local paper that Arsenal are on the verge of signing Richards in January and right enough he has,nt agreed a new contract.Its so frustrating is.nt it we can never hold on to our best players so how can we ever build a competitive team???!! :o

Yeah, Miller and Richards are 2 young, strong lads with a lot of potential who both came through the academy and we should keep hold of them. I saw Richards throw a thromby when he got took off a couple of weeks ago but i haven't heard anything about a transfer. Off to search about that :D

Congratulatins City......now we have to go and bust WH's asses next week, I pray they keep playing their Argie Missfits. I am so happy you beat them..I am certainly not a fan of theirs

We have never won at Upton park, and its sort of a grudge match with Pardew being their Boss. He walked away from Reading thinking he could do better, well we are miles above them in the EPL league now, so stick that up your bum Mr.Pardew !!

I have it as a draw, but I have a feelling we could nick a win...and maybee Pardew will get the boot..that will teach the Bar steward

Hate ..is not a word in my volcabulary...but "INTENSELY DISLIKE is

Stuart Pearce has praised Manchester City for never giving up as they rescued a 1-1 draw at Everton.

The Toffees took a 44th minute lead through top scorer Andrew Johnson, but City refused to lie down and were rewarded for their persistence when Micah Richards rifled his volley past Tim Howard in the third minute of injury time.

Pearce was obviously buoyed by the turn around after an abysmal start to the season so far, and feels his side are becoming stronger as the season progresses.

"First half I was a little bit disappointed with us. I thought we really didn't go and pass that ball well enough and we gave it back to them too often," Pearce told Sky Sports News.

"I thought we could have caused them problems but we didn't get the ball high enough up the pitch to service our lone forward.

"But we hit the post late on and I thought our opportunity for getting something out of the game had gone. But it's nice to go into the break having picked something up.

"I talked to them this week about a bit of stickability in matches when things are not going our way. I think we showed a bit of stickability today and when you get the opportunity at the other end you've got to take them."

City have centre back Richard Dunne and goalkeeper Nicky Weaver to thank for saving them conceding more than one, and Pearce has recognised their fine displays.

"It was a very tight game between two tight sides and I think we deserved to get something out of it," he added.

"I think the goalkeeper and my captain got the blocks in when they had to.

"That's what you want from your captain. Your goalkeeper has made a good save and it's ricocheting around the box, and then all of a sudden your captain's diving at full stretch to chest one off the goal-line. Little things like that turn games and keep you in matches."

Pearce, however, refused to comment about a complaint made to the police about Joey Barton for showing his backside to the crowd as he left the pitch. :o:D

Stuart Pearce has tried to play down the severity of Joey Barton's indiscretion at Goodison Park on Saturday.

The Manchester City midfielder bared his backside to the crowd at the end of his side's 1-1 draw with Everton. :o

Barton's actions were the subject of a complaint by police, who have confirmed the matter is under investigation.

A police statement read: "Merseyside Police can confirm they are investigating an incident and are currently gathering evidence.

"The matter has been reported to the referee and will be included in his match report."

With match official Andre Marriner to mention the incident in his report, The Football Association could take action against Barton.

But City boss Pearce is hoping The FA, and the police, will view the incident as a bit of over-exuberance from the 24-year-old.

"We will get all the facts and if there is a problem we will deal with it, as we always do," said Pearce.

"If people deem it as over-exuberance, and I hope that is all it is, so be it.

"You have to remember, this is a very emotional game we are involved in and that was only heightened by the timing of the goal."

Micah Richards lashed home an equaliser deep into injury time for City after Andy Johnson had put Everton ahead

Pardon the obvious pun but Barton is such an ######!!Will he ever learn his lesson!?On the Everton game i would have teaken a draw at the beginning of the game its so imprtand that we establish a run unbeaten and i feel again a win against Sheff U in 2 weeks is a MUST!!

Pardon the obvious pun but Barton is such an ######!!Will he ever learn his lesson!?

Agreed. Here is the latest news on the incident from SkyNews.

Manchester City midfielder Joey Barton will not face any police action for his indiscretions at Everton.

The 24-year-old faced possible charges from Merseyside Police after baring his backside to taunting Everton fans following City's dramatic 1-1 draw with The Toffees on Saturday.

Merseyside Police had expressed their concern to City boss Stuart Pearce about Barton's actions after the game, but the authorities have opted to pursue the matter any further.

Barton, however, could yet receive a sanction from The Football Association for dropping his shorts in front of the home fans.

Earlier on Wednesday, City boss Pearce called for a sense of perspective to be applied on last Saturday's post-match events.

Having viewed a video of the incident, the former England defender believes Barton's actions were more comedic than serious.

"If things are serious and need to be addressed, fine," Pearce told City's official website.

"When I get home I see exactly on television what happened, and I see one of my players give his shirt to a disabled fan.

"As he's walking off the pitch, he's being sledged about things I'd prefer not to go into - but we know what we're talking about.

"He kept a smile on his face throughout the whole incident, and he's done something that at worst is a little bit childish.

"At best, it's a bit of comedy that everyone should laugh off, but I still have to deal with it several days later.

"Let's get things into a little bit of perspective, maybe some of the things that were said to that player are a more serious matter, but we are not going to rake that up.

"He'll learn from it, I was pleased to see him hand his shirt over and I was very pleased to see Nick Weaver go over and say to him, 'Pull your strides up!'." :o

Eastlands to host cup final :o:D From SkySports

The City of Manchester Stadium will host the 2008 Uefa Cup final, but Wembley has been overlooked for forthcoming UEFA Champions League finals.

Uefa confirmed the venues for the finals for the next two seasons at an executive committee meeting in Ljubljana, Slovenia on Wednesday.

While Eastlands can look forward to hosting the showpiece occasion, Wembley, despite bidding for both, was selected for neither the 2008 nor 2009 Champions League finals.

Moscow's Luzhniki Stadium will host the 2008 final, and Rome's Stadio Olimpico has the honour for the following season.

However, Uefa did confirm they would consider Wembley for the 2010 final, with the association believed to be keen for the stadium to be operational before considering it as a venue.

Communications director William Gaillard said: "We hope Wembley Stadium in London will be completed in time for it to bid for 2010 - and we will then seriously consider the venue for the UEFA Champions League final."

Manchester City's home will stage the 2008 Uefa Cup final and Istanbul's Sukru Saracoglu stadium will host the final in 2009.

Her's a few for you boys in blue

A City fan, a Muslim and a Hindu are travelling together when it becommes dark and they are forced to ask at the only inn in town for a bed for the night. The innkeeper agrees but says that as there is only two beds one must sleep in the barn outside, so the three draw lots and the Muslim loses and goes to the barn to settle down for the night.

Five minutes later he returns to the room apologising but saying that as there was a pig in the barn he could not possibly sleep there. The City fan and the Hindu then toss a coin and the Hindu loses and takes his possessions to the barn to sleep.

He also returns after a few minutes saying that there was a cow in the barn and so he couldn't sleep there either. Reluctantly the City fan takes his bag and walks to the barn to try and catch some sleep.

Two minutes later the pig and cow enter the room...

For years, a young city fan had been taking holidays at a country inn. The last time he'd finally managed an affair with the innkeeper's daughter. Looking forward to an exciting few days, he dragged his suitcase up the stairs of the inn, then stopped short. There sat his lover with an infant on her lap!

"Helen, why didn't you phone when you learned you were pregnant?" he cried. "I would have rushed up here, we could have gotten married, and the baby would have my name!"

"Well," she said, "when my folks found out about my condition, we sat-up all night talking and talking, and decided it would be better to have a bastard in the family than a city fan."

Q: What has ten arms and a IQ of four?

A: The Man City subs' bench

An old Red is lying on his death bed and calls his son over to him.

“Son, here take my United season ticket”

“Thanks Dad, I’ll make sure I keep it on forever....”

“And son, go out and get me one for Maine Road instead”

The young lad is horrified. “But dad, you’ve been a United fan all your life. Why are you changing now?”

“Well” says the old man, “I’d rather one of those blue bastards went than one of us!”

ROBBERY!

Late last night thieves broke into Maine Road and stole the entire contents of Manchester City's trophy room. Police are looking for two men carrying a light blue carpet.

A primary teacher starts a new job at a school on Moss side and,

trying to make a good impression on her first day, explains to her

class that she is a Man city fan. She asks her students to raise

their hands if they, too, are Man city fans. Everyone in the class

raises their hand expect one little girl.

The teacher looks at the girl with surprise and says: "Mary, why

didn't you raise your hand?"

"Because I'm not a Man City fan," she replied.

The teacher, still shocked, asked: "Well if your not a Man city

fan, then who are you a fan of?"

"I'm a Liverpool fan, and proud of it," Mary replied.

The teacher could not believe her ears.

"Mary, why, pray tell, are you a Liverpool fan?"

"Because my mum and dad are from Liverpool, and my mum is a

Liverpool fan and my dad is a Liverpool fan, so I'm a Liverpool fan too!"

"Well," said the teacher, in a obviously annoyed tone, "that's

no reason for you to be a Liverpool fan. You don't have to be just like

your parents all the time. What if your mum was a prostitute and

you dad was a drug dealer , what what you be

then?"

"Then," Mary smiled, "I'd be a Man City fan."

What does EIDOS, Manchester Cities sponser stand for?

ELEVEN IDIOTS DREAMING OF SUCCESS!

A visiting fan turned up at a Manchester United vs Manchester City match last week and was told that seats were £16, £20 and £35, and programmes £2.

'OK,' he said cheerfully, 'I'll sit on a programme!'

`How did you enjoy your holiday in Israel?'

'Great!'

'Did you visit the Wailing Wall?'

'Yes - but I couldn't get near it for Manchester City supporters!'

Man City got a royal spanking over the weekend, but not just by the champions on the pitch. The Premiership’s John Champion was at the game and was about as lethal with his words as Arsenal were with their finishing.

Here is a chronological account of Champion’s finest hour:

2-0 to Arsenal “Man City are defending like a pub team!”

“It’s hard to believe we are watching a premiership football match!”

3-0 to Arsenal “Embarrassingly easy!”

4-0 to Arsenal “Fetch me an abacus!”

5-0 to Arsenal “Being a City fan is all about afternoons like these.”

Apparently, the The Premiership have received bucket loads of complaints from people claiming John Champion’s commentary was totally unfair – on pub teams that is...

10. Q: Why does stuart pearce keep visiting Argos?

A: Because that's the only way he can pick up any Premier points!

Eastlands to host cup final :D:D From SkySports

The City of Manchester Stadium will host the 2008 Uefa Cup final, but Wembley has been overlooked for forthcoming UEFA Champions League finals.

Uefa confirmed the venues for the finals for the next two seasons at an executive committee meeting in Ljubljana, Slovenia on Wednesday.

While Eastlands can look forward to hosting the showpiece occasion, Wembley, despite bidding for both, was selected for neither the 2008 nor 2009 Champions League finals.

Moscow's Luzhniki Stadium will host the 2008 final, and Rome's Stadio Olimpico has the honour for the following season.

However, Uefa did confirm they would consider Wembley for the 2010 final, with the association believed to be keen for the stadium to be operational before considering it as a venue.

Communications director William Gaillard said: "We hope Wembley Stadium in London will be completed in time for it to bid for 2010 - and we will then seriously consider the venue for the UEFA Champions League final."

Manchester City's home will stage the 2008 Uefa Cup final and Istanbul's Sukru Saracoglu stadium will host the final in 2009.

Finally some silverware eh blues..... :o:D

redrus

Eastlands to host cup final :D:D From SkySports

Finally some silverware eh blues..... :o:D

Yeah, it's a pity we are only taking care of it and won't get to keep it though :D:D

So, win it then....! :o:D

And deny your boys of adding another year to the banner they drape, with how many years since we won anything :D

Lol, even after all those years, it still makes me smile....! :D

redrus

Just found this site!!!

Nice to see there are a few blues over here!!!.

With regards to Richards, he signed a 4 yr contract last year as far as I recall, so I would be surprised if he went anywhere

Just found this site!!!

With regards to Richards, he signed a 4 yr contract last year as far as I recall, so I would be surprised if he went anywhere

Hi :D

Even if that was the case(are u sure??)what are contracts worth anyhow??If a big club comes along and offers City the right money they will sell him,end of.I think SWP proved that point :D

MrBO..i thought Miller was superb and hopefully is going to fufill his promise,however i read in a local paper that Arsenal are on the verge of signing Richards in January and right enough he has,nt agreed a new contract.Its so frustrating is.nt it we can never hold on to our best players so how can we ever build a competitive team???!! :D

Just found this site!!!

Even if that was the case(are u sure??)what are contracts worth anyhow??If a big club comes along and offers City the right money they will sell him,end of.I think SWP proved that point :D

Yeppers :o

And welcome JacknDanny :D At this rate we'll be having a Blues p1ss up in Thailand :D

From SkySports

Joey Barton is looking to set his sights back onto his football after being fined by The Football Association on Tuesday.

The Manchester City man was hit with an improper conduct and/or bringing the game into disrepute charge for baring his backside at the end of the weekend draw with Everton.

A £2,000 fine and warning as to his future conduct was the sum total of Barton's punishment following Tuesday's hearing and the midfielder is eager to put the matter behind him.

"I received a fair hearing which is all I can ask for really," Barton told Sky Sports News.

"I would just like to thank The PFA, the football club, The FA for hearing me, sporting chance for supporting me, and the fans who took time out to write to me and show me their support, not only from Manchester City but other football clubs.

"It is much appreciated and let that be the end of the matter and onwards and upwards from here.

"I have received a fine, but I received a fair hearing which is what I came down here for today."

Barton was subjected to a sustained verbal barracking at Goodison Park on Saturday and he feels The FA took that into account when deciding his punishment.

"I think they took that (context of the situation) into account and the matter has been dealt with now," added Barton. "I can't ask for any more than that.

"It is highly publicised, it is not for me to go into detail, but the matter has been dealt with and as far as I am concerned it is the end of it."

And this:-

According to reports emanating from Greece, Manchester City are keeping a close eye on Cyprus international Michael Konstantinou.

The experienced Olympiakos hit-man caught the eye at the weekend against Republic of Ireland, with two goals capping an excellent all-round display.

Konstantinou has also impressed in the UEFA Champions League having bagged two goals in as many games, and it is such proficiency in front of goal that is attracting attention.

It has been reported that City boss Stuart Pearce will be in attendance at the Millennium Stadium on Wednesday, hoping to run the rule over Konstantinou first hand.

Reports have suggested that Pearce is weighing up a move in the January transfer window, with the City chief to be a more than interested observer in midweek.

MrBO..i thought Miller was superb and hopefully is going to fufill his promise,however i read in a local paper that Arsenal are on the verge of signing Richards in January and right enough he has,nt agreed a new contract.Its so frustrating is.nt it we can never hold on to our best players so how can we ever build a competitive team???!! :D

Just found this site!!!

Yeppers :o

And welcome JacknDanny :D At this rate we'll be having a Blues p1ss up in Thailand :D

how about you blues hold your piss up on 9th november in pattaya thei will be my last night of a 30 day trip,and invite me along,i have broad shoulders i can take all the piss take you throw at me guys. :D

Archived