Phi Phi - Phuket speedboat rams fishing boat off Koh Yao, three of 40 passengers lost at sea

Lite Beer

How do you not see a fishing boat ? The mind boggles ! I very much doubt any of the passengers were wearing a lifejacket. These so called accidents keep happening yet nothing gets done about them.

How do you not see a fishing boat? For some reason it brings this to mind:

During construction of Thai Muang Golf Course back in '93, the shaper (dozer driver) was traveling by bus full speed on the highway into Phuket on his day off and suddenly noticed the driver was perched on the very edge of the seat not paying much attention to the highway with both hands at nine o'clock on the steering wheel, his right leg stretched diagonally so his toe just reached the gas pedal.

The nervous shaper began to feel queasy observing the relative calm of all the passengers whilst the driver teetered on the fringes of control.

The shaper queried a person nearby, who saw nothing wrong with the driver. When pressed to look again at how the driver was not behind the wheel but to the side and paying little attention to the highway, the person nearby smiled and said nothing to worry about, he's just letting Buddha drive.

With that, the shaper moved to the right side rear of the bus where he could no longer see the driver, and broke immediately into a cold sweat.

True story.

I wonder why arrowsdawdle decided that some proclaimed "true event" over 20 years ago, but not witnessed by him, was really relevant to the OP and totally worth the use of his keyboard.

Maybe it is just me, but TV seems to have been taken over by a tsunami of 90% worthless uninformative posts.

It was not this bad a few years ago.

What has happened?

• Like 2

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speedboat drivers in Thailand always go full speed ahead, no matter how the weather conditions is. I wonder how much they have to pay, to get upgraded from jet ski driver to speedboat driver?

• Like 1

Probably on a group tour, semi forced to attend or having prepaid, they (and the staff) were somewhat committed to the trip.

Sad, but it takes quite a person to walk away from something they have already paid for with no possibility of a refund and the Thai staff are going to be equally beholding to their employer.

"UPDATE (7pm): Reports surfacing that the collision happened at 4pm, but rescue teams weren't notified until 5pm."

In Broad Daylight. wai2.gifwai.gif

Imbeciles.

"World Class Tourist Destination"?

Absolutely clueless...

not exactly an enlightened society, or even "aware" one.

surely there were burmese on the fishing boat they can blame.

• Like 1

Hope they are found safe ... They must be scared to death if they are still alive......

Indeed... one of the most terrifying things imaginable.

Fighting for your life with no relief in sight and knowing that death by drowning is almost certain.

The chance of recovery and being found decrease exponentially by every minute.

God help their souls tonight. I will be praying for them.

How do you not see a fishing boat ? The mind boggles ! I very much doubt any of the passengers were wearing a lifejacket. These so called accidents keep happening yet nothing gets done about them.

I must admit it is astonishing how a speedboat could possibly hit a slow moving fishing boat in open water - it is beyond comprehension, I've seen some real stupid stuff on a busy road but at sea - I hope the person responsible for steering is sent to jail

Yet another sad story Involving a speed boat being driven recklessly whilst conveying foreign tourists. I do hope that the missing can be found and RIP to them if not

The safety laws in this country are never enforced and any form of public transport is a gamble here and the odds are not in the users favor.

One thing is for certain. The driver of the boat had NO chance of "running away" from this disaster and should be severely punished if he survived.

Thailand has become real life survival arena, tourists are dying daily and leaders of this failed state are not willing to learn!

Learning is best avoided, it highlights that you didn't know everything in the first place.

You 2 make quite a pair. Chicken Little (TOURISTS ARE DYING DAILY!) meets Krusty the Clown (dimwitted "sarcasm").

I wonder if it's really gotten worse on public transportation. I remember lots of accidents back in the 60's in Bangkok between buses and motorcycles. Back then buses were kings of the road! They didn't obey any traffic laws and certainly didn't give way to cyclists. It seems to me that buses are driven more safely now.

• Like 1

"UPDATE (7pm): Reports surfacing that the collision happened at 4pm, but rescue teams weren't notified until 5pm."

In Broad Daylight. wai2.gifwai.gif

Imbeciles.

"World Class Tourist Destination"?

Absolutely clueless...

I was on Koh Phangan in 2005 & they had an accident that killed a few people.

The boat was rated/licensed for 2 engines, but the owner added a 3rd engine.

The boat was going wide open & the steering cable broke, causing the boat to suddenly turn sideways. It capsized.

Sounds like some kind of mechanical failure could have caused this.

Maintenance - Schmaintenance...The "M" in Thailand stands for maintenance.

As someone has already pointed out it is easy for us on TV to speculate on the cause of the accident based on little or no evidence and judge all and sundry guilty.

What is evident however is that the Phuket Maritime Dept has a major problem on its hands with the boating and tourism industry being poorly regulated and supervised.

Many millions of baht are being spent on a dubious AIS system for a minority foreign cruising while the real safety issue associated with high speed tourist boats is being ignored.

I have said it before in other forums that there needs to be an enquiry into the maritime dept and the management to be held accountable.

How can 3 people be "lost" at sea ??

In a huge ocean, how could a speedboat not see the fishing vessel ??

Scary !!

The open sea is the easiest place in the world to get lost and it doesn`t take many minutes either,believe me .

• Like 2

Please bring on the Thai defenders,remember Google is your friend.

accident happen that why the word is in the dictionary but i know where your comming from mind you look at those 2 tankers in the suez canal how did they hit oh yes it takes 2 miles to stop them and half a mile to turn round

Developed country within 9 years.

that will never happen in 900 years, more like under developed, I hope they find the missing people soon, and I too think that it should be put on the travel awareness, as safety is their weakest link

We know nothing about the exact circumstances of how it happened

When the costa concordia sunk i dont remember reading so many negative comments about Italy as a country

but about the captain.

Difference is that Italy has fairly well enforced standards while Thailand needs first to adapt to western standards and then enforce them.

The only time I'm going to be any way surprised at local transport accidents nowadays is if a speedboat goes off a ravine in Phrae.

13/1 that it will happen before New Years.

RIP to those unfortunate enough to have entrusted their lives into the hands of the Thais.

I trust they all had maritime licenses?

How can some who is wearing their Life Jacket, be lost at sea?

Did the speed boat go down?