Phi Phi - Phuket speedboat rams fishing boat off Koh Yao, three of 40 passengers lost at sea

Lite Beer

How in the hell can a speed boat hit a Fishing boat in an open ocean was he aiming to hit? And what in the hell is a fishing boat doing carrying passengers? Because never heard of a forty seater speedboat. Amazing Thailand Where Passenger safety is of no concern, well just blame it on farangs, you just have to pay in advance because tourist are flocking here. Al most misspelled it And said f-cking here starting to get Thai accent lmao.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Post removed, and the replies.

Forum rule

10) Do not discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

Please bring on the Thai defenders,remember Google is your friend.

accident happen that why the word is in the dictionary but i know where your comming from mind you look at those 2 tankers in the suez canal how did they hit oh yes it takes 2 miles to stop them and half a mile to turn round

probably a thai captain trying to do an illegal U turn in the canal.

Where is all this crack down that was promised since the last crash. Probably a young 20 yr old with the throttle full down. The boat has it's nose up and cannot see ahead. Went on one from Pattaya beach years ago never been on one since, I was so sore on my ass young guy driving full throttle. Am sure the owners threaten them with loss of job if the do not get over there fast and back to get more passengers. The owners should be held fully responsible and loose his license but that would not happen, just up the tea money.

• Like 2

ANYONE expecting a raise in Thai Public Health & Safety consciousness, and a radical change, in the over-all "cultural mentality" of Thai people, begins with:

1. - Accepting "reality". People do not change bad habits, until their personal survival compels them to do so.

2. - Tourists STOP coming to Thailand.

3. - Expats (especially those posting comments to this forum), STOP "talking" about what's wrong with Thai people, pack-up your belongings, and then leave the LOS, enmasse.

4. - 65 comments to this one thread alone, suggests that most of you farang blokes need to get a life, whew!coffee1.gif

Edited by NativeSon360

4. - 65 comments to this one thread alone, suggests that most of you farang blokes need to get a life, whew!coffee1.gif

....and of course, you don't need to "get a life", because you are not on this forum? Right?

Are you Thai by any chance?

If the shoe fits, etc.whistling.gif . No, I'm not a Thai (thank heaven) Just another farang realist. I don't live my LOS life on this forum. I live it in LOS. I consistently see the same blokes commenting on this forum, 24/7. That definitely suggests something about the "collective" lifestyles of many expat blokes. Now, go argue with a wall. I'm not interested, whistling.gifK?

Edited by NativeSon360

The Thai Gov't and all subsequent Thai Gov'ts will no doubt create a successful safety program.

After all, wasn't it just a couple weeks ago that they developed a cure for Ebola..... as there is no Ebola to be seen in Thailand, so must be successful.

Just like years ago they created a cure for common sense...... ............as there is no common sense .............[fill in the blank]

Edited by Gonzo the Face

How do you not see a fishing boat ? The mind boggles ! I very much doubt any of the passengers were wearing a lifejacket. These so called accidents keep happening yet nothing gets done about them.

While I share your doubts about lifejackets, let's hope there were passengers who had their brains switched on.

A recent trip on a 'speedboat' out of AoNang beach near Krabi, myself, daughter and two granddaughters were all wearing safety jackets, as were all the rest of the passengers (except the baby of one!). The crew were keen for us to wear them.

Had anyone refused - would the boat still have sailed? Probably yes, but I was impressed.

Sometimes one does despair. Recently I was to drive a thai lady friend (in her car) but we sat there without any progress for a while. When she inquired as to why, I said I was not driving till she belted up. What a kerfuffle that caused! Got my way though . . .

how does a high powered boat ram a fishing boat that most probably would only do 10-15 knots

or maybe the driver had the speed boat on auto pilot while he had a sleep

hope he is charged with manslaughter

Being charged with manslaughter, in LOS,cheesy.gif Possessing a sense of accountability, is definitely not a virtue, integral with all Asian cultures. That's just the way it is. Either accept it, or leave itcoffee1.gif

Edited by NativeSon360

The Thai Gov't and all subsequent Thai Gov'ts will no doubt create a successful safety program.

After all, wasn't it just a couple that they developed a cure for Ebola..... as there is no Ebola to be seen in Thailand, so must be successful.

Just like years ago they created a cure for common sense...... ............as there is no common sense .............[fill in the blank]

Indeed, the Thai gov't will (eventually) implement "enforced" Public Health & Safety regulations, just as soon as the Singaporeans arrive, beginning 2015.clap2.gif

"UPDATE (7pm): Reports surfacing that the collision happened at 4pm, but rescue teams weren't notified until 5pm."

In Broad Daylight. wai2.gifwai.gif

Imbeciles.

"World Class Tourist Destination"?

Absolutely clueless...

not exactly an enlightened society, or even "aware" one.

surely there were burmese on the fishing boat they can blame.

Enough with the Burmese wise cracks!!!

Three people has potentially lost their lives, through no fault of their own.

Do you even feel anything towards these poor victims?

Disgraceful

Hoping everyone is found safe and sound...

As someone has already pointed out it is easy for us on TV to speculate on the cause of the accident based on little or no evidence and judge all and sundry guilty.

What is evident however is that the Phuket Maritime Dept has a major problem on its hands with the boating and tourism industry being poorly regulated and supervised.

Many millions of baht are being spent on a dubious AIS system for a minority foreign cruising while the real safety issue associated with high speed tourist boats is being ignored.

I have said it before in other forums that there needs to be an enquiry into the maritime dept and the management to be held accountable.

cheesy.gif

Thailand and safety rules never come together.

I don't know how many speedboat accidents were happaned here in last 10 years.

I have no idea how they coludn't see a FISHBOAT !!!!

They will say bad luck, bad kharma BUT a simple idiocy as usually.

Edited by Loles

How do you fit 46 people in a speed boat?

Easy sit on the beach at Pattaya between soi 2 and 3 and watch them load the boats with mostly Chinese and Japanese tourists,a sight to behold.

This post just brought to mind an incident happened just last evening. There was a lot of prolonged yelling and shrieking coming from a building site down the soi. A pickup was trying to back out of it's parking spot - with around 15 to 20 workers loaded on board, hanging off the sides and back tail down. It hadn't occurred to the driver or the workers to board the vehicle AFTER it'd backed out on to the soi blink.png

Common sense? Was' that? huh.png Wonder if they made it home safely ...

Third Naval Area Command to continue search for two missing Korean passengers on Monday

BANGKOK, 20 October 2014 (NNT) - The Third Naval Area Command will continue on Monday the search for two Korean passengers who have been missing after a boat accident in southern Krabi.

The rescue operation following an accident which happened around six nautical miles off Phi Phi Island in Krabi Province on Sunday evening is scheduled to be resumed on Monday.

The original operation was called off at 8 pm of Sunday, hours after a tourist speedboat carrying foreign tourists from Phi Phi Island back to the main land reportedly crashed with a fishing vessel.

Forty one people, including 37 tourists and six crews, tour guide and photographer, have been rescued by the joint Marine Police-Third Naval Area Command operation. Among the rescued tourists are 31 Chinese tourists, four Korean tourists and two British tourists.

? As of Sunday night, two Korean passengers remained missing.

The Phuket Provincial Police have already taken in 36-year-old Surat Mat-osot, the captain of the fatal speedboat, for questioning.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-10-20 footer_n.gif

We know nothing about the exact circumstances of how it happened

When the costa concordia sunk i dont remember reading so many negative comments about Italy as a country

but about the captain.

Difference is that Italy has fairly well enforced standards while Thailand needs first to adapt to western standards and then enforce them.

Why are we living here, would that be because of the enforcement of western standards?

Thailand and safety rules never come together.

I don't know how many speedboat accidents were happaned here in last 10 years.

I have no idea how they coludn't see a FISHBOAT !!!!

They will say bad luck, bad kharma BUT a simple idiocy as usually.

Longtails are not really that big, and easily lost in a few waves.

• Like 1

I will go so far, like the majority of people in this thread, to presume the pre-conditions and causation that led to this collision.

The weather conditions would’ve been variable winds from the south east at 20-30km/per hr, 1-2 metre swell with occasional rain storms. Since the boat was returning from Phi Phi to Phuket at around 4pm visibility would have been reduced due to the direct sun rays and the speed boat would had the advantage of a tail wind which at times caused the boat to plane the waves gaining more speed.

Therefore, distinctively, while the speed boat is plane waving, with a reduced throttle, this is the time when the boat operator loses control over his vessel in terms of both power and steerage.

If this was occurring, combined with reduced visibility as a result of direct sun light beaming from the west, then the boat driver would have not had enough time to correct his course in event of an obstruction in the water such as another smaller vessel, while having no control over the speed boat.

The boat drivers motive was perhaps not intentional but most likely he was trying to save on fuel by this action in taking advantage of wave energy by so called plane waving or surfing the waves.

If this was the case, the boat driver is still negligent by taking such a risk by allowing the boat to lose momentary control.

Thailand has become real life survival arena, tourists are dying daily and leaders of this failed state are not willing to learn!

Learning is best avoided, it highlights that you didn't know everything in the first place.

You 2 make quite a pair. Chicken Little (TOURISTS ARE DYING DAILY!) meets Krusty the Clown (dimwitted "sarcasm").

Your enthralling analysis and assessment has really shown us.

The evidence you submitted is, quite simply, top notch and utterly un-debatable. Thank you so much for your time.