Worst Flash Floods of the year hit Pattaya

webfact

Worst Flash Floods of the year hit Pattaya

rain-6.jpg

PATTAYA: -- On Sunday afternoon Pattaya was subjected to a period of sustained heavy rainfall which transformed many of the roads into rivers.

The problems began in mid-afternoon on Sunday when the rainfall began. It is estimated that in some areas the water level rose to between 40 and 60cm which caused traffic chaos around Pattaya City.

Some of the worst hit areas were South Pattaya Road, Central Pattaya Road and Soi Buakhao along with parts of the Sukhumvit Road. The emergency services were overwhelmed as flash floods occurred in areas which are traditional hot spots for trouble during heavy and sustained rainstorms.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/151191/worst-flash-floods-of-the-year-hit-pattaya/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2014-10-20

Having lived in Pattaya for the last 4 years I have noticed that many of the roads are being resurfaced and flood drainage installed. Those which are flooding now appear to be those which have not yet had the drainage systems installed. The other problem we have is that the ground slopes naturally from the dark side down to the beaches so the rainwater naturally wants to go in that direction, from the roads which have been done down to those which have not.

You would think it would be a major priority for the City of Pattaya and it's leaders to resolve these constant flooding issues in the city????

there's only patchwork possible but not a solution. of course levelling 70% of Pattaya and grade a slope from Sukhumvit to the sea would provide a solution... albeit a very expensive one.

You would think it would be a major priority for the City of Pattaya and it's leaders to resolve these constant flooding issues in the city????

Yes, you would think so wouldn't you. However, this city would rather spend millions on crosswalk stoplights that no one pays attention to.

Heck, this isn't a news story. The real story is this year there has been the least amount of rain in Pattaya in the 5 years I have lived here. Also, in October, it is not uncommon to have two or three days of flooding like this. This was the first one and probably the last until next year.

• Like 1

Having lived in Pattaya for the last 4 years I have noticed that many of the roads are being resurfaced and flood drainage installed. Those which are flooding now appear to be those which have not yet had the drainage systems installed. The other problem we have is that the ground slopes naturally from the dark side down to the beaches so the rainwater naturally wants to go in that direction, from the roads which have been done down to those which have not.

Sorry to disagree with you Max, but Beach Road which was re-done not long ago was completely flooded yesterday. In some places it was barely passable.

Since this road is only a few meters from the ocean, you would think it would not be that hard to provide adequate drainage.

beach road floods because the umbrella people sandbag the side of the road so the water cant drain off onto their umbrella space and instead floods the road, they have even ripped up the new footpath in places and used the bricks to create flood walls. the solution is to pipe the water under the beach but in the meantime the city should make them remove all the sandbags that have been put there without permission, or get the army to do it if the police wont

but in general there is no easy solution to low lying areas getting flooded when it rains, just dont go out in it if you dont like it

Edited by slygeeza
  • Like 1

I remember a few years ago walking into the 7-11 on corner of Buakeow and Leng kee as It started to rain...The place was packed and It took me 20 minutes to shop and leave..Couldn't get out..Intersection was knee deep in 20 minutes. A woman drove her Honda into the water at full pelt, which threw her kid off the bike into something hard..Not sure what..Anyway she was dead. Since then they've just kept building on these 2 Sois and Diana...This whole area is a disaster waiting to happen.

What?. Don't you realise there's far more important things to spend City funds on such as pedestrian crossing lights and street lamps with dead fish attached to them? Don't be so hard on the City's hard working officials!
  • Like 1

I live on Soi Chaiyapoon and it also flooded, there is no way that this road will ever get drainage installed, at the moment is like a mine field, every year they turn up, level the craters and just top up the road, in the 2 years since I've been here it's been done 3 times and it must be 6 inches higher than it was 2 years ago.

beatdeadhorse.gif.pagespeed.ce.adWp7jUAu

Last year the city finally installed drains in our soi off Soi Watboon. The engineering was interesting - the mouths of the drains were more than 10 centimeters above the ground, and the level of the road was raised

accordingly. The result was huge gutters nexf to the house 10 centimeters below the road level. It was both ugly and highly impractical, so we asked the foreman (?) when he was going to finish the job. He told us he would be haopy to do so - for 50,000 baht.

Having already seen the quality of his work, we gave the job to someone we knew, and got run-offs from

our property drilled straight into the drains. After that , we had the cosmetic job done. However, there

were a few on our soi who put their faith in the city fathers, and are now inundated..

I dont know if they can ever solve it, Soi Wat Boon was completely dug up in 2004, and large square drains put down, its just as bad as ever now, ongoing repair for the last 3 years, nothing stops water, any restriction will eventually be washed away

• Like 1

My first taxi ride to Pattaya resulted in water entering the cabin of the cab and floating in some parts, that was 5 years ago.

Yesterday I was in Pattaya lounging on the beach and saw the rain coming before noon and said time to go back to Jomtien. Glad I did.

Some things will never change around here, after all, TIT (This is Thailand).

Sorry to disagree with you Max, but Beach Road which was re-done not long ago was completely flooded yesterday. In some places it was barely passable.

Since this road is only a few meters from the ocean, you would think it would not be that hard to provide adequate drainage.

As was Jomtien's beach road last Saturday the 11th. How can they install such high foot paths between the beach and the beach road is beyond me. The water was like 60 cm on that road only a few metres away from the beach..!

Mabprachan reservoir is still low by normal standards with the shoreline being extended in places for public areas. People can drive at least 100 meters further to the water than previously and Loy Krathong this year will be a long walk from most road side places ....

there's only patchwork possible but not a solution. of course levelling 70% of Pattaya and grade a slope from Sukhumvit to the sea would provide a solution... albeit a very expensive one.

Some would suggest 100%.