Worst Flash Floods of the year hit Pattaya

webfact

Last year the city finally installed drains in our soi off Soi Watboon. The engineering was interesting - the mouths of the drains were more than 10 centimeters above the ground, and the level of the road was raised

accordingly. The result was huge gutters nexf to the house 10 centimeters below the road level. It was both ugly and highly impractical, so we asked the foreman (?) when he was going to finish the job. He told us he would be haopy to do so - for 50,000 baht.

Having already seen the quality of his work, we gave the job to someone we knew, and got run-offs from

our property drilled straight into the drains. After that , we had the cosmetic job done. However, there

were a few on our soi who put their faith in the city fathers, and are now inundated..

I dont know if they can ever solve it, Soi Wat Boon was completely dug up in 2004, and large square drains put down, its just as bad as ever now, ongoing repair for the last 3 years, nothing stops water, any restriction will eventually be washed away

Soi Watboon on the Dark Side (Soi Watboon-Sampatan) or Soi Watboon in Jomtien between Sukhumvit and Jomtien Beach Road (Soi Watboon-Kanjanaram)?

For some time now (months) Jomtien's Soi Watboon-Kanjanaram has been ripped up to install some kind of new underground pipes.

The only way for the government to do anything is for the floods to become so terrible that it starts to have a detrimental effect to tourism and property values. Anything less is judge an inconvenience, apparently.

See that poor woman indebted to loan sharks? She had to self immolate before any thing was done to help her.

So, we have a few choices: Put up with it, self immolate or pray for really heavy rainy season to constantly flood all those sub standard new developments.

You would think it would be a major priority for the City of Pattaya and it's leaders to resolve these constant flooding issues in the city????

Yes, you would think so wouldn't you. However, this city would rather spend millions on crosswalk stoplights that no one pays attention to.

Heck, this isn't a news story. The real story is this year there has been the least amount of rain in Pattaya in the 5 years I have lived here. Also, in October, it is not uncommon to have two or three days of flooding like this. This was the first one and probably the last until next year.

crosswalk stoplights that no one pays attention to.

Actually most of them don't even work, including the one beside the police station ( as of my last visit a couple months ago ).

I remember a few years ago walking into the 7-11 on corner of Buakeow and Leng kee as It started to rain...The place was packed and It took me 20 minutes to shop and leave..Couldn't get out..Intersection was knee deep in 20 minutes.

You can't get out of water that is knee deep. How tragic can a tale get?

Yes, it's horrible that a crazy lady drove a bike into it and was hurt, then died. That IS tragic. But you were unable to cope. That's not tragic, sorry.

They talk about hot spots when flooding,with the amount of tourists dollars that gets pumped into the local economy,you would think that they will try to fix some of these hot spots.

I'm assuming you don't know what happens to that money

You can assume I don't - because it seems I don't. You and KonKorat both seem to be saying that the money that tourists spend is supposed to go to "they" so that "they" will do some more construction work. Is that what you are saying? If so, how would tourist money get to "they"?

I've been assuming that tourist money goes to the places where tourists spend it - hotels, shops, food carts, whatever - and that those people, with the profits, spend money (and thus pay taxes) or bank it (and pay taxes on the profits, directly or by spending it later). And then the central tax office gets to dole out the collected taxes from a common pot to "they" for construction.

Not correct? It goes (or is supposed to go) directly from tourists to "they"? Can you explain how?

Edited by wandasloan

I remember a few years ago walking into the 7-11 on corner of Buakeow and Leng kee as It started to rain...The place was packed and It took me 20 minutes to shop and leave..Couldn't get out..Intersection was knee deep in 20 minutes.

You can't get out of water that is knee deep. How tragic can a tale get?

Yes, it's horrible that a crazy lady drove a bike into it and was hurt, then died. That IS tragic. But you were unable to cope. That's not tragic, sorry.

You might want to wander around a Pattaya road when you can't see what you're walking on, but not many that actually know Pattaya would take that risk.

• Like 1

You would think it would be a major priority for the City of Pattaya and it's leaders to resolve these constant flooding issues in the city????

Well they can't fix it now, it's flooding, and when it's not flooding there's no problem.

Good luck with the proposed tunnel in Pattaya.

Maybe it will be used the same as the central land area between the roads and next to the Rail lines along the railway bypass road.

Dig it out and allow all the flow of flood water from khao Noi , NPW and Etc to fill it.

At least this prevents some of the flooding on Sukhumvit - or at least, thats the plan.

Without the flood how would they justify spending more hundreds of millions of baht on "flood prevention", don't worry they know what they're doing more work more money--they've been improving the drainage for more than 20 years ,it takes real planning to make sure the floods keep reoccurring

• Like 1

OMG!!! There's flash flooding in Pattaya in the rainy season???!!!

Is this news or what???

Whats news is the damage to beach / beach walk infrastructure the flooding is causing: Can someone post photo of the major damage/collapse of walkway next to beach in front of Soi 9 police station The water entered down through a palm tree planter and undermined and collapsed about a 40 m2 area.

Edited by morrobay

OMG!!! There's flash flooding in Pattaya in the rainy season???!!!

Is this news or what???

Whats news is the damage to beach / beach walk infrastructure the flooding is causing: Can someone post photo of the major damage/collapse of walkway next to beach in front of Soi 9 police station The water entered down through a palm tree planter and undermined and collapsed about a 40 m2 area.

Now there is a surprise, NOT.

Do I get to say "I told you so" now?

Edited to remove the baiting. Sorry.

Edited by thaibeachlovers