BANGKOK 26 June 2019 00:46
andreas islinger

AUSSIE temporary residency/ PR for my Thai wife

10 minutes ago, Chrisdoc said:

It just came up in my feed and didn't notice the date. Am sort of dealing with it at the moment as she wants to live most of her time in Thailand and still come to Australia easily. Must have misread so good to be corrected.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8304F1 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

First step would be to get her permanent residence.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Chrisdoc said:

It just came up in my feed and didn't notice the date. Am sort of dealing with it at the moment as she wants to live most of her time in Thailand and still come to Australia easily. Must have misread so good to be corrected.

5 hours ago, Will27 said:

First step would be to get her permanent residence.

In any case, unless you have a child together, she will need to spend at least a couple of years in Australia. Once she accepts that the rest is easy(ish).

• Like 1

In any case, unless you have a child together, she will need to spend at least a couple of years in Australia. Once she accepts that the rest is easy(ish).
She lived in Australia for years and has permanent residency. Her last 5 year resident return visa was in late 2016 but we have been in Thailand virtually since then. She doesn't want to lose Australian residency but don't really want to spend 2 out of 5 years in Australia.

4 minutes ago, Chrisdoc said:

She lived in Australia for years and has permanent residency. Her last 5 year resident return visa was in late 2016 but we have been in Thailand virtually since then. She doesn't want to lose Australian residency but don't really want to spend 2 out of 5 years in Australia.

Oh ok. So that last RRV is still valid and she can return as many time during its validity.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Chrisdoc said:

Oh ok. So that last RRV is still valid and she can return as many time during its validity.

There is no limit to the number of RRVs one can apply for; however, there are residency requirements for subsequent ones - which will affect the length of validity.

So, she will either need to spend 2 out of 5 years in Australia, or apply for the 12 month RRV - assuming she can can demonstrate substantial ties that benefit Australia.

Edited by jamesbrock

There is no limit to the number of RRVs one can apply for; however, there are residency requirements for subsequent ones - which will affect the length of validity.

So, she will either need to spend 2 out of 5 years in Australia, or apply for the 12 month RRV - assuming she can can demonstrate substantial ties that benefit Australia.
Thanks James. I talked to immigration but hard to get info. I know that she won't fulfill the 2 years out of 5 requirement but I think then she can get a 1 year RRV after the 5 years is up. Not sure what happens when the 1 year RRV is finished and whether she can keep on getting 1 year RRVs. My friend is in the same situation but he is in a high management position in a multinational. We (or she) just have a small business in Thailand. We are thinking of going to see a lawyer here. If I find any info I'll post in case others are in the situation.