Cambodian visa

Retirement visa is shortly to be introduced at a cost of 240, 000r, or about $60, according to a friend in immigration. I am advised that it is 100% going to happen and that the paperwork has still to be finalised. If any other member has more infomation please advise.

I expect there will be considerable interest in this visa if in fact it does materialise as currently the only visa suitable for long stay is an e visa that not only is now quite expensive but a work permit needs to be attached adding further cost.

Regards td

• Like 1

Actually a work permit has never been required, only if one is going to be employed in Cambodia. But the confusion has come from having just one visa category for long term stays leading everyone with it to be suspected of working.

It will be great if a separate retirement visa is introduced, but hope it will not have unreasonable requirements.

If they want what is now the regular visa to be limited to people working in Cambodia then they will need to bring in other categories as well, such as spousal visas, missionary visas etc -- there are categories of people staying long-term whoi are neither tourists not employed in Cambodia nor retired as such.

Hi Sheryl

Thanks for the feedback. The reason l have been investigating the options is because l have a friend in immigration who asked me if l had a work permit, since l am retired obviously l said no. This led to him following up with his department, and the result was he advised me that all holders of evisa now require a work permit. Subsequent to that he has now advised that since not every foreigner with an evisa works they are introducing the retirement visa as afore described. He said it has been approved, just that the paperwork is not yet finished. As you say let us hope the requirements are not impossible.

Regards td

OK for clarification.

1. Richard - an e-visa is an electronic tourist visa issued online. An E-visa is the ordinary visa/business visa (all the serial numbers begin with the letter "E"). Not same, same but in fact very different.

2. There is nothing on a retirement visa officially. Speculation is rife. I suspect it will cost more than $60 a year when it arrives; I'd expect it to be closer to $500 (no tax from retirees = need to take more off you up front).

3. The law is clear that you only need a work permit if you work (as Sheryl says above). This utter <deleted> about the work permit being enforced on foreigners is only true if you are a Chinese or Korean national working in a factory. The government has said as much. And despite the expat hysteria to the contrary - there remains nothing but lousy anecdotal evidence of any other enforcement.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So, if you want to work at a Language Center in Phnom Penh, for at least a year, without a work permit, what would be the least risky visa (or extension) that you should hold, and how much would it cost?

Edited by Songlaw

So, if you want to work at a Language Center in Phnom Penh, for at least a year, without a work permit, what would be the least risky visa (or extension) that you should hold, and how much would it cost?

You won't get away with no work permit in teaching establishments now; they've all cottoned on to the fact in cheap language centers that they can charge 3x the price for a work permit and pass that cost directly on to you.

1 year = $285 multiple entry ordinary (sometimes known as business) visa, plus $100 for a work permit plus whatever a lousy employer can extract on top from you.

• Like 1

You won't get away with no work permit in teaching establishments now; they've all cottoned on to the fact in cheap language centers that they can charge 3x the price for a work permit and pass that cost directly on to you.

1 year = $285 multiple entry ordinary (sometimes known as business) visa, plus $100 for a work permit plus whatever a lousy employer can extract on top from you.

Yeah but this work permit business wouldn't apply to someone who gets a 1-year business visa extension who doesn't work in Cambodia, just comes for business or personal reasons and may actually be living in Thailand or Vietnam but who needs to make multiple journeys to Cambodia throughout the year and doesn't want to waste pages in his/her passport, right? Someone like me for example - I don't reside in Cambodia but have a 1-year multiple visa for the simple reason that I go there for personal and/or business reasons normally just for a couple of days per trip or I need to pass through Cambodia for the purposes of travel between Thailand and Vietnam and do so many times per year.

• Like 1

Yeah but this work permit business wouldn't apply to someone who gets a 1-year business visa extension who doesn't work in Cambodia, just comes for business or personal reasons and may actually be living in Thailand or Vietnam but who needs to make multiple journeys to Cambodia throughout the year and doesn't want to waste pages in his/her passport, right? Someone like me for example - I don't reside in Cambodia but have a 1-year multiple visa for the simple reason that I go there for personal and/or business reasons normally just for a couple of days per trip or I need to pass through Cambodia for the purposes of travel between Thailand and Vietnam and do so many times per year.

There is no simple answer to that question. The current official government position is that if you have a 1 year business visa; you must have work permit - even if you do not work...in reality, it's probably not going to be an issue if you can show you don't live here but that is the official position.

There is no simple answer to that question. The current official government position is that if you have a 1 year business visa; you must have work permit - even if you do not work...in reality, it's probably not going to be an issue if you can show you don't live here but that is the official position.

Thanks, guys. Both your inputs were helpful. Likely going to make a run at PP in the near future. Happy New Year.

the way i see it,

before one agency got the money for extensions

now another agency wants a piece of the Barang pie, hence they are asking for another $100 to stay in country

Expect an NEW classification in the future for those NOT working, but you will need to show ( god forbid) money in a Cambodian bank to get it

the way i see it,

before one agency got the money for extensions

now another agency wants a piece of the Barang pie, hence they are asking for another $100 to stay in country

Expect an NEW classification in the future for those NOT working, but you will need to show ( god forbid) money in a Cambodian bank to get it

Even if it's bogus, I can live with paying another $100 for some "work permit" if an agency can take care of it but god forbid the day that any money inside a Cambodian bank to get an extension would be required. If that day were to come, there would be a large exodus of foreigners from Cambodia. Personally I think that Cambodia can do with the money it receives under the current system and should wait some more years to become more developed before it even contemplates any such move. In the meantime, adding an extra $25 or $50 to the current extension of stay fee would be a more reasonable alternative.

Also, I doubt I would go to the trouble of putting money into a Cambodian bank to get a visa extension, unless there were a new classification for say a 2 or 5 year visa extension that requires this, compared to a 1-year extension that doesn't. In the former case, it would be worth it but for yearly extensions, definitely not as I wouldn't be able to justify it - a year goes by fast and I might make 4-7 trips to Cambodia per year, each for periods varying from 1-7 days.

If on the other hand, Cambodia moves towards a visa free regimen for all and not just ASEAN countries, then that would greatly assist my travels within the country. Just like with Thailand, Malaysia and for my passport Laos, visa-free travel to/from these countries and staying under the maximum permitted under their visa-free schemes or if necessary, getting an extension of stay in-country has suited me just fine for the purposes of regular travel in/out of Thailand, Laos etc. If Cambodia jumps on the bandwagon, then I won't really care what they do regarding long stay visas as I've never needed one for the purposes of residence per se as I don't live there. The only reason I've ever gotten a Cambo visa extension and the only reason I'll continue to get one is so that I don't need to buy a new visa each time I enter the country, thus filling up my passport with useless visa stickers.

Of course the ease with which one can stay in Cambodia long-term and open a business also currently makes it a very attractive country and stands out in the region. Hopefully that won't change anytime soon either.

In regards to a retirement visa, to be honest, I don't think it's needed when the current business or ordinary visa (depending on what it's called now) allows you the same de-facto residence with no special requirements, thus can be used by anyone, including retirees.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually to my understanding there is no "law" or regulation that requires someone not working in Cambodia to have a work permit, even if they are long stay, and also no legit way you can get one.

However you could get in lengthy "conversations" with low level immigration police who do not understand this and are looking to make money by nailing people working without a permit.

I too live in Thailand and just make frequent trips to Camb. I used to get 1 year extensions just for the convenience of it but no longer do. The tourist e-visa is easy enough to get, can if necessary be extended by a month and will cost less even if you have to get it 6-7 times in a year Plus saves pages in the passport. But does mean a need to plan more in advance than with the one year extension.

• Like 1

This report though is not encouraging, although it will affect those spending most of their time in Cambodia more than someone who's got a 1-year extension and is just passing through for a few days:

https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/govt-to-strictly-enforce-work-permit-law-from-next-week-75520/

That's assuming that the level of enforcement cited is not actually going to be as strict as claimed, and/or there are other options for non-working foreigners.

While I can see the point of requiring a work permit if you actually work, what about if you don't?

As said, if you do not work in Cambodia, you are not required to have a work permit.

It is possible though that you will have to convince police/immigration people that you aren't working and explain then where your income comes from etc.

It is unclear how this enforcement will be targeted. Obviously they have records of who has a 1 year business visa so if they use that as the framework then non-working long stayers may indeed get hassled. On the other hand, if they target places of employment, then non working folks should be OK.

• 1 month later...

A couple of years ago, it was strictly Tourist or Business visa. These days, the Khmer have learned their lesson from the Thais. Create 777 different visa-types with 778 variations concerning expiration dates to the point that the average immigration officer does not know anymore weather he is coming or going, but among the ensuing chaos, it will open Avenues that will establish provincial Immigration overlords that make everything possible as long as a certain amount of "commission" is involved

= Strictly Thailand procedures.

Cheers.