currently between Poipet and Koh Kong border crossings - which is better?

maco

is there a significant difference between crossing at Poipet and Koh Kong?

have heard

• if take bus from bkk to phnom penh then no choice but to use fake immigration
  • in Koh Kong not choice to but to pay inflated fee

is there a problem getting business visa either place?

What on earth is "fake immigration" ?

You will not have a problem getting an E-visa (formerly called Business visa) at either crossing.

At both they will try to get you to pay visa price in Thai baht a rate that exceeds the correct one. If you can pay in US$ may be able to get around this.

Poipet is usually the more crowded.

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe he thinks that the bus (international bus, there's only one a day to Phnom Penh from Bangkok) will try to force him to purchase the visa through them, via an inflated charge. Clearly, if you purchase the visa yourself at Poipet, it's quite easy to get the normal asking price. And unlike past claims of 1200 Baht or 1500 Baht or other nonsense, the latest seems to be US$30 for tourist visas (US$35 for ordinary) + 100 Baht, but you're under no obligation to pay the extra 100 Baht. Even if you did, your visa would come back 1 minute sooner (if that) and you wouldn't have gained anything. Then again it's not nearly as bad as the rip-offs that occur at the "fake consulate".

Koh Kong - well I have heard some stories there but since there's no cross border transport across that border you have all the time in the world to wait for a visa to be delivered for the proper price.

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Indirectly. They leaf through your passport in very slow motion hoping you'll cough up a "tip". But if you just stand your ground you'll get through without paying.

Yes but when we exactly know that governments let them take bribes because it keeps salary low, why not giving something ? I would feel ashamed to cry for $7 when I am crossing with a $200000 car...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/17/2014 at 6:50 PM, Tomtomtom69 said:

And unlike past claims of 1200 Baht or 1500 Baht or other nonsense, the latest seems to be US$30 for tourist visas (US$35 for ordinary) + 100 Baht, but you're under no obligation to pay the extra 100 Baht. 

Any current information on the "ordinary" VISA which can be extended up to one year?(tourist VISA only one 30 day extension)  I had been advised this was only available at the PNH airport. I'm scared of flying so any insight much appreciated. OO and God Bless You.

On 12/7/2016 at 7:27 AM, autoc said:

Last time when I crossed there was 3 Porsche crossing at the same time, so not problem it seems :-)

Wealthy Thai and Khmer people can pretty much do what they like. I think the confusion is about a farang trying it on. I seriously doubt, as did the other poster, $200,000.usd automobiles are crossing land borders into or out of Cambodia with farangs' at the wheel. OO

The info is false - at least in part. Siem Reap airport certainly issues ordinary visas on arrival. I do not doubt that Poipet does, usually they ask for 5 USD tea money.

So at least the PNH part of the advice does not hold up.

If they ask you why you need an ordinary, tell them your bank in PP told you so. I did that in such a situation and it was ok. When they ask what business, investment with a bank.

On 1/21/2017 at 11:21 AM, BruceMangosteen said:

Wealthy Thai and Khmer people can pretty much do what they like. I think the confusion is about a farang trying it on. I seriously doubt, as did the other poster, $200,000.usd automobiles are crossing land borders into or out of Cambodia with farangs' at the wheel. OO

Anybody can cross at Kohkong.

6 hours ago, mike2011 said:

The info is false - at least in part. Siem Reap airport certainly issues ordinary visas on arrival. I do not doubt that Poipet does, usually they ask for 5 USD tea money.

So at least the PNH part of the advice does not hold up.

If they ask you why you need an ordinary, tell them your bank in PP told you so. I did that in such a situation and it was ok. When they ask what business, investment with a bank.

How does the PNH airport advice not hold up? You can not buy an ordinary VISA online via eVisa. I would not rely on Poipet crossing for anything, nor Koh Kong for that matter. I was going to fly next time as the PNH airport has been honest in the past, but now you indicate the PNH part doesn't hold up? Please help me, I'm confused..thanks and regards.

YOU can NOT buy an "ordinary"  Business visa online. ONLY a tourist visa ($40 online) which can ONLY  be extended for 30days for a cost of about $45.

an "ordinary" visa can be extended for1,3,6and 12 months in country

I have entered often at KK and Osmach, with my thai tagged car, never been charged more than the official rate ( $20 before $30 now)

As Richard said. I think there is some confusion, and it happens often, between the evisa as in electronic Tourist visa which is by definition a tourist visa and the EVisa which is the ordinary and which can be extended as an extension of stay (no visa) in the form ER (for retirement) and other forms like study, business.

The info i commented on does not hold up on the part that Evisa = ordinary is issed at Siem Reap airport until very, very recently. Unless someone has fresh and documented info I would not trust any gossip. The talk might be the product of somebody confusing the electronic Tourist visa with the Evisa.

Poipet is actually very consistent. 5 USD surcharge on anything or a nothing but a wait and discussion.

Koh Kong is much worse, more money and hassles. But some people reported that making your stay and succeeding with it is possible.

So not much or no change whatsoever

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 11:18 AM, BruceMangosteen said:

Any current information on the "ordinary" VISA which can be extended up to one year?(tourist VISA only one 30 day extension)  I had been advised this was only available at the PNH airport. I'm scared of flying so any insight much appreciated. OO and God Bless You.

I believe it can be applied for at any land border crossing for US$35, some border crossings especially Koh Kong might ask for a little more. No need to fly to Cambodia. Land border crossings are very easy, just be patient and try not to pay more than the official price. If you are backed into a corner, bargain, but don't pay more than US$5 more than the official price and even then only at Koh Kong. Other border crossings - no problem with paying the official price.

You get any travel agent in Phnom Penh to extend your visa for a year. No need to do this yourself and in any case, it would be advised against. Still costs under US$300 and usually doesn't take more than a couple of days. You can pay extra for express processing, in which case it only takes a day.

3 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

not all land borders offer the ordinary visa ( Vietnam and laos borders and some thai borders do not)$285 for the 1 year extension or so in PP i have never heard of express service for this

Ask any travel agent they will charge an extra US$85-100. You probably never asked ;) and were never in such a rush - some people however only have a day in Phnom Penh and then need to travel. it's these people who are most likely to need rush service.

All the land borders I've been through offer the ordinary visa. Vietnam borders also do (maybe not all but certainly Moc Bai).

Archived