Anyone fancy having a go at some mathematic's questions?

Hi guys,

I'm trying to brush up on my mathematics before I enrol on a distance learning course. I have done the questions in the picture below but I would be interested to see either how wrong I've got them or how right :-)

Mathematics was never my strongpoint in school but if any of you math's genius' would like to have a go then please be my guest..

Cheers!

post-153203-0-62062600-1413957648_thumb.

there is if i choose to use it. i find it the easiest solution. but its a sure bet there is no calculus.

you have me there. "calculus" doesn't mean in English what I thought it meant (I had to check the definition).

"linear calculations" would be a better description I guess.

Ummm, the OP has questions that we would refer to as arithmetic. The basic study of number and percentage is hardly advanced math. I already offered the op of sending his answers for correction (,if there are errors)

No reply...no problem.

• Like 1

there is if i choose to use it. i find it the easiest solution. but its a sure bet there is no calculus.

you have me there. "calculus" doesn't mean in English what I thought it meant (I had to check the definition).

Never heard of linear calculations. Heard of linear equations. One solution to a variable. Usually "x".

This is basic algeba , but no algebra is required for above arithmetic questions

I like maths but it's been ages since I tried to get my head around any.

I did a few quick calculations, and although I'm probably way off, here's my answers to parts a, b, and c:

A (i) 3.15 pounds (ii) 0.90 pounds per 100 g

B (i) 4.5 pounds for for 485 g (ii) 0.927 pounds per 100 g

C (i) 0.964 pounds per 100 g (ii) 25.03 %

Edited by waynethor
  • Like 1

Also b ii......0.989..

Correct if you look at my calculation you will see it gives ,989 rounded it wrong.. did it in my break (10 min)

What is wrong with the last answer according to you.

Edited by robblok

Don't get defensive. I'm not meaning to be smart ass. What your doing is logical but have look at this approach. Actually work out the decrease in price per 100 gm. Divide by original price per 100 gm. Obviously can do it per gm, makes no difference. We have decimal percentage X by 100 for % equivalent.

Don't get defensive. I'm not meaning to be smart ass. What your doing is logical but have look at this approach. Actually work out the decrease in price per 100 gm. Divide by original price per 100 gm. Obviously can do it per gm, makes no difference. We have decimal percentage X by 100 for % equivalent.

Not being defensive at all, I should not have rounded that answer I did not take my time as I should have on this minor calculation. Its hard to express feelings on a forum so I might have come over defensive.

However I am a bit confused what is wrong with my last answer you are saying 25% and i get something else. logically it should indeed be 25 % going over what went wrong here.

If i don't round i get to 25,25% discount there on the last answer

new price / original price x 100 should be the correct formula.. so what went wrong.

Edited by robblok

You haven't made a mistake with procedure ....just rounding off as you went along. As a result your answer if 25.58% when correct is 25.00% rounded to two decimal places.

As side joke I currently have all this aud I'm waiting to exchange into baht. Big difference between 28.58and 27.99 when your doing 20000 aud. 0.59 baht X 20000 is a lot of beers.

Never heard of linear calculations. Heard of linear equations. One solution to a variable. Usually "x".

This is basic algeba , but no algebra is required for above arithmetic questions

x does not have to be a variable, it can be the unknown quantity.

x does not have to be a variable, it can be the unknown quantity.

That is exactly what the term VARIABLE means in mathematics. It is an unknown quantity.

In the linear equation X + 3 = 7

X is referred to as a variable. ....Yes there is one solution only. That's why its called Linear.

The OP arithmetic questions do not require algebra.

Stick to the op all he wanted was to check his solutions. He has that.