Farang husbands providing massive boost to Isaan economy

Jonathan Fairfield

Very interesting.

These figures are huge!

I wonder what Isaan would be like without all this funding from Farangs?

Isarn would have 50 % less Pick-up Trucks, 10 % less family houses with solid roofs and walls and people would probably get excited to see the first man made ice cube.

We have in our village at least 60-70 new pickups but only one farang contributed to a pickup but not far from us is a village with around 20 houses and yes the farang bought a pickup on finance in his wife name on 7 years.

We farang are in a minority and we contribute maybe 0.5% to the economy in Isaan in terms of marrying or living with a lassie from Isaan.

The university should put a study up of how much the hookers from Isaan contribute to the economy of Isaan and we could easily reach 300-500 billion Baht per year. Those are the driving force of the development of Isaan.

150,000 hookers x 3 clients a week at 3000 Baht is 1.3 billion Baht plus a week is over 70 billion Baht alone in 3 clients per week plus all those multiply sponsors, sinsod, houses etc

Try to be a little more humble. Before you walk in this girls shoes, u just don't know how they feel. They are tourist attractions or entertainers.

Is this a new study?

Or a rehash of one a couple of years old? The thread on TV went 15 or so pages as it would on this topic.

As an aside, the Philippine government acknowledges that money sent home by overseas citizens and former citizens represent almost 10% of GBP (about the same as the tourist industry is worth to the Thai GDP). This includes overseas workers as well as those who have married and moved away.

We had a number of Filipino workers here over the years. We were required to send 70% of their salary directly to their bank in the Philippines. They could draw up to 30% of their pay in country if they so chose. Their government could also dictate where they could, and couldn't, work and prevent them from leaving the country if it looked like they were heading to a banned country.

As for the contribution foreigners make to the Isaan economy, we'd need to see what the GDP is for that area in order to determine if this amount represents that large of a contribution. I recall crunching some numbers not long ago to try and determine the overall contribution "long term" stayers had on the Thai economy as a whole, and it turns out they were nowhere near the "economic" force they thought they were.

9 billion is a large number of course, but needs to be taken in context. For example "Although Isaan accounts for around a third of Thailand’s population and a third of its area, it produces only 8.9% of GDP. Its economy grew at 6.2% per annum during the 1990s."

The latest numbers I see show the Thai GDP as - THB11.375 trillion (USD366 billion)(2012). If you attribute 10% of that to coming from Isaan that means the whole contribution from the region is about 1.14 trillion.

9 billion from foreigners would represent about 0.79 % of that total.

To put it another way, Isaan has a population of approx 22 million. 9 billion would equal about 410 baht per person (per year). Not exactly earth-shattering.

Well this shoots the study right out of the water. Teacher must have been using made up numbers.

9 billion is a large number of course, but needs to be taken in context. For example "Although Isaan accounts for around a third of Thailand’s population and a third of its area, it produces only 8.9% of GDP. Its economy grew at 6.2% per annum during the 1990s."

The latest numbers I see show the Thai GDP as - THB11.375 trillion (USD366 billion)(2012). If you attribute 10% of that to coming from Isaan that means the whole contribution from the region is about 1.14 trillion.

To put it another way, Isaan has a population of approx 22 million. 9 billion would equal about 410 baht per person (per year). Not exactly earth-shattering.

So as you have all the figures, Can you advise how much of these trillions are distributed to the Isaan population and by what means. I am sure the 9 billion goes to many of them directly. and a fair bit indirectly

Finally I learned where they breed lonely old men turning into customers:

most foreign men marrying women from north east Thailand came from the United Kingdom, Netherlands, Germany, Sweden and Switzerland.

Americans know better!! No new house for the G/F, no new "Family" Store, and last but not least, no new Pickup for daddy.thumbsup.gif

Ok to have some fun, but don't be a fool as seen here many times on TV.clap2.gif

• Like 2

I am married to a thailady from Isaan.....I am a provider to the Isaan-region.....I have spent bog Money for many years, but...

will I get something back from Thailand ???? No....absolutely not !! Please give me a lengthy VISA without hassle....give me the right to own laand in my very own name.....PLEASE !!!

• Like 1

Very interesting.

These figures are huge!

Isarn would have 50 % less Pick-up Trucks, 10 % less family houses with solid roofs and walls and people would probably get excited to see the first man made ice cube.

We have in our village at least 60-70 new pickups but only one farang contributed to a pickup but not far from us is a village with around 20 houses and yes the farang bought a pickup on finance in his wife name on 7 years.

We farang are in a minority and we contribute maybe 0.5% to the economy in Isaan in terms of marrying or living with a lassie from Isaan.

The university should put a study up of how much the hookers from Isaan contribute to the economy of Isaan and we could easily reach 300-500 billion Baht per year. Those are the driving force of the development of Isaan.

150,000 hookers x 3 clients a week at 3000 Baht is 1.3 billion Baht plus a week is over 70 billion Baht alone in 3 clients per week plus all those multiply sponsors, sinsod, houses etc

Try to be a little more humble. Before you walk in this girls shoes, u just don't know how they feel. They are tourist attractions or entertainers.

Why, all it is, its a business transaction.

Edited by MobileContent
  • Like 1

I once googled "what if there were no borders?" Very interesting. There is a century of detailed econometrics that that have been studied by economists in America and Europe, which experienced mass migration. Despite common perception wages were not affected significantly. On the other hand the economic advantage to the country of migration is massive. Like today a Thai cook who makes 4000 baht a month in BKK can easily make that in one or two days in Los Angeleles. Yes there are Many jobs here that might go to farang but comparitively few that would be willing filled at the prevailing local wage that would disadvantage a local. Imagine somebody from Norway that wishes to work at 7-11? How many would have the Thai language ability required that would care to work for that wage? Or a Frenchman who wants to be a rice farmer? Sure there are a few, but there are plenty of kids in Khon Kaen who could be computer programmers in France with bo extra training.

Thailand should give up labor protectionism and instead seek more liberal arrangements with various countries.

Edited by arunsakda
  • Like 1

Those the 9 Billion include the amounts in money, properties(land and/or house), cars and other things, that where stolen from sucker farangs, of whom we read many stories here on TV?

I don't remember many. I think you are the only one recently.

Nine billion baht, well who would have thought that, thats extroardinary, wonder what the Govt will make of that . eh.

A large part of the economy in the North is being supported by falang , ok mostly old guys ,chasing the young brides , but without them , the girls parents would still be living in the dark ages !

No Thai Govt in the past would have paid any attention to this, on the contrary , one Minister wanted a ban put on falang over 50 marrying a thai bride much younger than him.

Thailand, the more i hear ,the worse (or better ) it gets, what state are you really in, you have ignored your fellow thai's in the North forever, and have let the falang be the provider.

How internationally embarrassing would that be for most other civilised Nations, the mind ,yet again boggles !

Shame on you , bay boys and girls . lol

Edited by phanangpete

Finally I learned where they breed lonely old men turning into customers:

most foreign men marrying women from north east Thailand came from the United Kingdom, Netherlands, Germany, Sweden and Switzerland.

Americans know better!! No new house for the G/F, no new "Family" Store, and last but not least, no new Pickup for daddy.thumbsup.gif

Ok to have some fun, but don't be a fool as seen here many times on TV.clap2.gif

Plenty of guys from the states up north with families.

• Like 1

I am married to a thailady from Isaan.....I am a provider to the Isaan-region.....I have spent bog Money for many years, but...

will I get something back from Thailand ???? No....absolutely not !! Please give me a lengthy VISA without hassle....give me the right to own laand in my very own name.....PLEASE !!!

But we do have one year extensions or Multo O visas. Why do you want to own some farm land that has no much value or the family would not sell it. Important is for every Dollar you invest in Isaan you invest a Dollar in your name, be it a car, condo or whatsoever. We still can stuck a lot of money overseas.

I have 350,000 US$ stucked overseas which is only accessible to me. Even if I allowed to own land it wouldn't make a difference as I keep those funds offshore.

• Like 1

Very interesting.

These figures are huge!

Same, same, but different.'

During the world-wide colonial period, the foreign presence was also claimed to be so beneficial to those having their economies exploited. Later accounting of the impact on those populations and their economies wasn't quite as rosy as once proclaimed ... except for the haul made by those who were doing the exploiting. Most of the "beneficiaries" of that period have never recovered.

“History Would be Something Extraordinary, if Only it Were True” –Tolstoy

The Brits may well be guilty of milking under developed countries, but their legacy was always a decent infrastructure (railway, roads, pluming that actually worked and an agricultural system); it only takes someone like Robert Mugabe to <deleted> it up!

• Like 1

So as you have all the figures, Can you advise how much of these trillions are distributed to the Isaan population and by what means. I am sure the 9 billion goes to many of them directly. and a fair bit indirectly

Huh ?

The "trillions" noted in my figures are not distributed to the Isaan population. That is my estimate of how much the Isaan population, as a whole, contributes to the Thai Gross Domestic Product (GDP), based on the information I could glean from the internet.

The "almost 9 billion" (or 8.666 billion in the original article) is what the study estimates foreign husbands (and/or their Thai wives) contribute to the GDP through their spending.

Obviously they don't break down exactly how that money goes from "foreign husband" to individual Isaan resident, just like they don't try to break down which "foreign husbands" spend more than others. Guys buy a house/truck/car/buffalo. Pays internet/electricity/water bills. Gives money to the wife. She buys groceries, goes to the salon, gives to her "brother" or other family members. They buy whatever, spend wherever. Shopkeepers/retailers/vendors get that money and pay salaries, buy stuff, pay their own bills, etc.

I'm sure the Uni gathered whatever information they could from public records and possibly various surveys in the area, extrapolated some numbers based on averages, multiplied by the estimated number of foreigners living in the region and came up with some fairly reasonable figures.

I took the "almost 9 billion" number and divided it by the estimated population of Isaan to see how it would average out, so you could have an idea of just how "massive" the boost is.

As it turns out, it's only the equivalent of about 410 baht per person, per year, so not exactly what I would consider a "massive" boost to the economy, when that number doesn't even equal the equivalent of 2 days of minimum wage.

But we do have one year extensions or Multo O visas. Why do you want to own some farm land that has no much value or the family would not sell it. Important is for every Dollar you invest in Isaan you invest a Dollar in your name, be it a car, condo or whatsoever. We still can stuck a lot of money overseas.

I have 350,000 US$ stucked overseas which is only accessible to me. Even if I allowed to own land it wouldn't make a difference as I keep those funds offshore.

Its the governments lack of appreciation in making us jump through hoops every time that bugs so many foreigners.

• Like 2

i can understand looking after the wife and mum and dad,what i cant get over, is all the bloody hangers on, sisters/brothers/aunt/uncles, what is that shit about, its just a total farce. yep i spend my 10,000 on ME, and more,

• Like 1

!!!! MUGS !!!! cheesy.gifwacko.png

And some Farang's still argue that they are not wanted for their money

I can hear it now she loves me it's not my money she's after

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

There is an alternative.......pi$$ your money up against a wall,

spend it on one nightstands with Thai hookers who's name they can't remember the next day

and end up alone and miserable like you

Edited by Tanlic

On another quick note , why don't the Uni do a survey here on the number of hookers, not just the majority ,who are from the North but from all over.

They all know it exists, but would the Govt welcome it ?

Doubt it somehow, the figures would be staggering, in Pattaya alone, it would make up for a massive percentage of girls , let say, over 20 yrs from Issan .

Then we have Bkk, eh, out off a total of 67 mil people the figure would be off the scale .

Is this a new study?

Or a rehash of one a couple of years old? The thread on TV went 15 or so pages as it would on this topic.

As an aside, the Philippine government acknowledges that money sent home by overseas citizens and former citizens represent almost 10% of GBP (about the same as the tourist industry is worth to the Thai GDP). This includes overseas workers as well as those who have married and moved away.

Situation is very different for the Philippines. The country literally depends on OFWs and their remittances... huge number of citizens working abroad. Not true of Thailand. In fact, some countries (like Singapore) actively seek out Filipinos as workers while excluding Thais from doing the same work. [in Singapore, most maids are Filipino while Thais are prohibited from being maids].

Is this a new study?

We had a number of Filipino workers here over the years. We were required to send 70% of their salary directly to their bank in the Philippines. They could draw up to 30% of their pay in country if they so chose. Their government could also dictate where they could, and couldn't, work and prevent them from leaving the country if it looked like they were heading to a banned country.

As for the contribution foreigners make to the Isaan economy, we'd need to see what the GDP is for that area in order to determine if this amount represents that large of a contribution. I recall crunching some numbers not long ago to try and determine the overall contribution "long term" stayers had on the Thai economy as a whole, and it turns out they were nowhere near the "economic" force they thought they were.

A dramatic, massive boost, nonetheless.

Edited by aboctok

roll on the "self entitled thailand owes me something" brigade.

you got a woman you couldnt get anywhere else and you... erm.. support the local economy. that was the deal. if you dont believe me, stop paying and see what happens. you dont get to add on treated like royalty and debt of gratitude to the deal after the fact.

• Like 2