BANGKOK 17 August 2019 20:57
Sign in to follow this  
Jonathan Fairfield

Farang husbands providing massive boost to Isaan economy

Well, I remember coming home to my little village laden with bags of "stuff"

girl next door asked my GF where she got all that "stuff"

My GF pointed to me and said "my farang" (in Isaan of course)

at which point the girl turned to her mom and said, "mom, I want to go to Bangkok and get a farang."

Mom, said " no, you are too young. Have to wait a few years."

And so it continues....If farangs stopped showing up, they would probably build bamboo gogo poles to lure us back like the cargo cults do.

Edited by KuhnPaen
  • Like 1

Not sure about this, let me ask my wife whistling.gif

Are you sure that she will tell you the truth? biggrin.png

I just read most of the entries. My God what a bunch of pathetic loosers. Find a nice girl, there are plenty out there. No it takes more than loose change. I have been married for 34 years to a great woman. Most of my friends are married to great Thai gals. Not all see you as an ATM. But a true expat in Thailand can work this out for themselves. How much money do you think you would be spending on a wife back home. Bit more than Thailand. Or you could stay at home, and frequent some lousy pub and die at the age of 55.

If the woman can't take care of her self, In Thailand or elsewhere, and she needs a man to support her I wouldn't respect her enough to marry her.

This one I think is a real beauty. Did the man tell Thai ladies to go for the money?

http://asiancorrespondent.com/88432/did-a-thai-mp-really-told-thai-women-to-better-marry-a-foreigner/

“All you need is a farang husband and their government will pay you to study,” he said.

Even more controversially, he then implied that the best way to study a foreign language was by sleeping with a foreigner.

“Sitting studying is too slow. Lie down to study, then go to the hospital. They will pay you to have the baby… It’s all free, right up to the shitty diapers.”

A great link/./////facepalm.gif

I just read most of the entries. My God what a bunch of pathetic loosers. Find a nice girl, there are plenty out there. No it takes more than loose change. I have been married for 34 years to a great woman. Most of my friends are married to great Thai gals. Not all see you as an ATM. But a true expat in Thailand can work this out for themselves. How much money do you think you would be spending on a wife back home. Bit more than Thailand. Or you could stay at home, and frequent some lousy pub and die at the age of 55.

If the woman can't take care of her self, In Thailand or elsewhere, and she needs a man to support her I wouldn't respect her enough to marry her.

Agree.

Where in this equation does the wifes contribution come in financially.

So you have to spend on an Issan wife to keep then.Sounds very much like an ATM.

It's not just Isaan. What would Thailand look like, without money coming from expats, sexpats, tourists and those who send money every month to a "lady" who's got five others who do so?

I doubt the Russian and Chinese "quality tourists" contribute a lot. Nastrovia. coffee1.gif

Agree.

Where in this equation does the wifes contribution come in financially.

So you have to spend on an Issan wife to keep then.Sounds very much like an ATM.

Usually it's not about contribute anything if you don't mean some personal favors. Every man with a sound mind would understand that a poor lady in a village in Isaan would easily "give her left leg" to marry a foreigner. And I don't think that her family would mind a bit if she did either.

I live in Maha Sarakham (ALONE) and I have a female friend taking care of "my house" when I'm not there. In her village outside MS there is a lady which have two foreign men sending her money every month. One German and one Norwegian. The Norwegian is going to build her a house.

My female friend told me that this lady in the village wanted me as her third "walking ATM". Like my friend wouldn't tell me about her other men. I wonder sometimes what Thai ladies are thinking about foreign men. It can't be to good I think.

Resist ...

Resist ...

Resist ...

Sorry mate ... I can't ... laugh.png

I used to sail with Filipino seamen.

Very interesting.

These figures are huge!

I wonder what Isaan would be like without all this funding from Farangs?

A barren wasteland with people digging in the dirt for food.

And yet they survived before we got here and will after we are gone.

• Like 1

This is strange news. I had no idea that Isaan women were even attracted to Farang or visa versa. This will take some time to process.

Edited by Phil Water

You got to be kidding! I spent almost that much myself in Surin Province, building a house and store on her family land and improving the lives of lots of her family members, only to be discarded like an empty rice bag when my money ran out! No wonder it is called the Land of Smiles!

I've got no regrets about contributing to the Isaan economy over the years, but have tried to keep my spending manageable so that, even if a younger more handsome man were to supersede me, I would not be entirely cleaned out

It is very unpleasant to say that the population of Isaan would be begging on the streets of Bangkok if it wasn't for the Farang.

I look at my own in- laws, a very hardworking father-in-law hauling cassava to Chonburi from Buriram every day, who has invested in two small farms growing cassava and a small herd of beef cattle. All from a standing start. He also bought the nice plot of land upon which he built the family home.

He also managed to send his daughter ( my wife) to University

Of course their lives are relatively simple, but it is very unfair to say that they would be totally impoverished without Western intervention

• Like 1

You got to be kidding! I spent almost that much myself in Surin Province, building a house and store on her family land and improving the lives of lots of her family members, only to be discarded like an empty rice bag when my money ran out! No wonder it is called the Land of Smiles!

Glad to hear that it wasn't just me who did that! : )

It is very unpleasant to say that the population of Isaan would be begging on the streets of Bangkok if it wasn't for the Farang.

First, the number of Farangs living in Isaan as compared to the total population of Isaan is quite small. And yet the population of Isaan is not begging in the streets of Bangkok. The number of Isaan folk working abroad and remitting wages back to family is far greater than those who marry Farangs. According to one recent academic source, Isaan has the highest percentage of passport holders in the Kingdom.