BANGKOK 21 March 2019 05:01
Jonathan Fairfield

Farang husbands providing massive boost to Isaan economy

Very interesting.

These figures are huge!

I wonder what Isaan would be like without all this funding from Farangs?

A barren wasteland with people digging in the dirt for food.

• Like 2

And I hear from my friends, also the ones who are retired up there, they are super happy about the new found lifestyle and family integration. Jeez....Might have to give it a try. 5555 MS>

And most of us living with women here in Isaan are contributing 10,000 Baht a month or more, minimum to the household to the lady.

The study also found that on average, the wife and foreign husband will normally return to the wifes family home in the region at least once a year, sometimes staying for as long as one month, which results in a dramatic increase in financial spending in the local area.

especially into the local mum and pop stores...

This is invaluable not only in fiscal terms.It strengthens the bond both between the wife's family with the husband,but also keeps Thai culture available for young children visiting maternal grandparents.

• Like 1

I have a very nice Lady friend who lives in that region. We are not married, But she was my Pool Shooting Buddy till her Father and Brother passed and she returned to help Mother run the farm. I contribute approx 250,000 THB a year to help her and her Mother, as I promised her Father before he passed. Both died from Cancer due to the Fluke worms in the fresh water fish they eat raw.

With their Rice being flooded about everyother year in that region they need help from time to time.

Edited by gchurch259
  • Like 2

I'm curious as to the relevance of the photo. Either all hands are female or one of the models is Warwick Davis! :)

Edited by evadgib

The study also found that on average, the wife and foreign husband will normally return to the wifes family home in the region at least once a year, sometimes staying for as long as one month, which results in a dramatic increase in financial spending in the local area.

especially into the local mum and pop stores...

This is invaluable not only in fiscal terms.It strengthens the bond both between the wife's family with the husband,but also keeps Thai culture available for young children visiting maternal grandparents.

It also keeps the traffic cops happy pulling me over for imagined offenses.

When I first met my wife she was 27 and couldn't drive a 10 penny nail into a piece of cornbread.

She's a pretty good driver now. I just sit in the back & wish her luck.