Farang husbands providing massive boost to Isaan economy

Jonathan Fairfield

Well, I remember coming home to my little village laden with bags of "stuff"

girl next door asked my GF where she got all that "stuff"

My GF pointed to me and said "my farang" (in Isaan of course)

at which point the girl turned to her mom and said, "mom, I want to go to Bangkok and get a farang."

Mom, said " no, you are too young. Have to wait a few years."

And so it continues....If farangs stopped showing up, they would probably build bamboo gogo poles to lure us back like the cargo cults do.

Edited by KuhnPaen
  • Like 1

I just read most of the entries. My God what a bunch of pathetic loosers. Find a nice girl, there are plenty out there. No it takes more than loose change. I have been married for 34 years to a great woman. Most of my friends are married to great Thai gals. Not all see you as an ATM. But a true expat in Thailand can work this out for themselves. How much money do you think you would be spending on a wife back home. Bit more than Thailand. Or you could stay at home, and frequent some lousy pub and die at the age of 55.

If the woman can't take care of her self, In Thailand or elsewhere, and she needs a man to support her I wouldn't respect her enough to marry her.

This one I think is a real beauty. Did the man tell Thai ladies to go for the money?

http://asiancorrespondent.com/88432/did-a-thai-mp-really-told-thai-women-to-better-marry-a-foreigner/

“All you need is a farang husband and their government will pay you to study,” he said.

Even more controversially, he then implied that the best way to study a foreign language was by sleeping with a foreigner.

“Sitting studying is too slow. Lie down to study, then go to the hospital. They will pay you to have the baby… It’s all free, right up to the shitty diapers.”

A great link/./////facepalm.gif

I just read most of the entries. My God what a bunch of pathetic loosers. Find a nice girl, there are plenty out there. No it takes more than loose change. I have been married for 34 years to a great woman. Most of my friends are married to great Thai gals. Not all see you as an ATM. But a true expat in Thailand can work this out for themselves. How much money do you think you would be spending on a wife back home. Bit more than Thailand. Or you could stay at home, and frequent some lousy pub and die at the age of 55.

If the woman can't take care of her self, In Thailand or elsewhere, and she needs a man to support her I wouldn't respect her enough to marry her.

Agree.

Where in this equation does the wifes contribution come in financially.

So you have to spend on an Issan wife to keep then.Sounds very much like an ATM.

It's not just Isaan. What would Thailand look like, without money coming from expats, sexpats, tourists and those who send money every month to a "lady" who's got five others who do so?

I doubt the Russian and Chinese "quality tourists" contribute a lot. Nastrovia. coffee1.gif

Agree.

So you have to spend on an Issan wife to keep then.Sounds very much like an ATM.

Usually it's not about contribute anything if you don't mean some personal favors. Every man with a sound mind would understand that a poor lady in a village in Isaan would easily "give her left leg" to marry a foreigner. And I don't think that her family would mind a bit if she did either.

I live in Maha Sarakham (ALONE) and I have a female friend taking care of "my house" when I'm not there. In her village outside MS there is a lady which have two foreign men sending her money every month. One German and one Norwegian. The Norwegian is going to build her a house.

My female friend told me that this lady in the village wanted me as her third "walking ATM". Like my friend wouldn't tell me about her other men. I wonder sometimes what Thai ladies are thinking about foreign men. It can't be to good I think.

I've got no regrets about contributing to the Isaan economy over the years, but have tried to keep my spending manageable so that, even if a younger more handsome man were to supersede me, I would not be entirely cleaned out

It is very unpleasant to say that the population of Isaan would be begging on the streets of Bangkok if it wasn't for the Farang.

I look at my own in- laws, a very hardworking father-in-law hauling cassava to Chonburi from Buriram every day, who has invested in two small farms growing cassava and a small herd of beef cattle. All from a standing start. He also bought the nice plot of land upon which he built the family home.

He also managed to send his daughter ( my wife) to University

Of course their lives are relatively simple, but it is very unfair to say that they would be totally impoverished without Western intervention

• Like 1

You got to be kidding! I spent almost that much myself in Surin Province, building a house and store on her family land and improving the lives of lots of her family members, only to be discarded like an empty rice bag when my money ran out! No wonder it is called the Land of Smiles!

Glad to hear that it wasn't just me who did that! : )

It is very unpleasant to say that the population of Isaan would be begging on the streets of Bangkok if it wasn't for the Farang.

First, the number of Farangs living in Isaan as compared to the total population of Isaan is quite small. And yet the population of Isaan is not begging in the streets of Bangkok. The number of Isaan folk working abroad and remitting wages back to family is far greater than those who marry Farangs. According to one recent academic source, Isaan has the highest percentage of passport holders in the Kingdom.

Very interesting.

These figures are huge!

I wonder what Isaan would be like without all this funding from Farangs?

Same, same, but different.'

During the world-wide colonial period, the foreign presence was also claimed to be so beneficial to those having their economies exploited. Later accounting of the impact on those populations and their economies wasn't quite as rosy as once proclaimed ... except for the haul made by those who were doing the exploiting. Most of the "beneficiaries" of that period have never recovered.

“History Would be Something Extraordinary, if Only it Were True” –Tolstoy

Except there is no colonization or exploitation (unless you are talking about Thai girls exploiting farangs) taking place here. It is only foreign immigrants interjecting capital (and in some cases skills) into a local economy. Many prosperous nations like USA and Canada were largely built on foreign immigration, I don't see why it would be bad for a once impoverished area like Isaan.

Edited by Havrum

I know where there is an empty nest to move to,, you can have it for free,, and don't forget the money as i don't live there any more

so they need your money badly,, you can go there any time,, good luck to you all. When i was young and studying a wise teacher once told me,, when you are in business for yourself remember when you receive some money,, pay yourself first the everyone next,,,when in Issan you never get paid,, the money river flows the other way.

Gosh...I hope the young women of Isaan do not hear of this study...there could be a run on single farangs to act as personal bankers to payroll the family...that would be awful...

The women are in actual competition and a lower amount is loss of face. Of course her face many be the

reason for the lower bid.

When and if I settle down with a Thai girl, it is not likely to be an Isaan one. Isaan is only 1/3 of Thailand, plenty of girls from the other parts who do not come from impoverished families.

There is no mention of the approximate 100,000 Farangs who live all year round in Isaan , whose minimum input to the region must be about BT400,000,000 per month .

Farangs living in rural villages renovate their wife's home or build new houses , that gives a boost to the building industry , builders merchants , as well as ideas for neighbouring Thais to improve their homes . Farangs are able to spend more money at the local shops and markets . Farangs often pay for their wife's children to go to better schools and to college or university . Farangs buy cars , then all their Thai neighbours do too . Unfortunately we have the impression that Bangkok government doesn't like Farangs encouraging rural Thais to better themselves , perhaps robbing Bangkok or Rayong factories of an abundance of cheap labour . Farangs substantial input to the Thai economy is not recognised or appreciated by central government .

Exactly. This study only mentions "farang husbands". It doesn't mention all of the guys who have long term Isaan girlfriends, or are bachelors living in Isaan, or are sponsoring Isaan girls from overseas, or are paying big money for LT and ST to Isaan girls in Pattaya and Bangkok. Then there is the multiplier effect, greater economic activity in the Isaan region spurred by farangs benefits Thais who have nothing to do with farangs. Whereas the rich farmer in Surin might of had to go to Bangkok to purchase a new truck, now he can get one in a local dealership, so some more local money is staying local. The economic benefit of the farang is enormous.

If you look at Isaan there isn't much going on elsewhere. There is very little industry or other economic activity (the exception is perhaps Khorat). Their cities are tiny and lacking in much of a service sector. The economy still primarily relies on agriculture, remittances from those working in Bangkok and abroad, and farangs, that is it. Much of the rest of Thailand has booming modern manufacturing and service sector industries. Isaan still mired in an agricultural economy despite impressive economic growth over the past 20 years. Their living standards have improved but the structure of their economy hasn't. The boom in easy money is similar to what happens in economies dependent on oil.

Edited by Havrum

Is this a new study?

Or a rehash of one a couple of years old? The thread on TV went 15 or so pages as it would on this topic.

As an aside, the Philippine government acknowledges that money sent home by overseas citizens and former citizens represent almost 10% of GBP (about the same as the tourist industry is worth to the Thai GDP). This includes overseas workers as well as those who have married and moved away.

We had a number of Filipino workers here over the years. We were required to send 70% of their salary directly to their bank in the Philippines. They could draw up to 30% of their pay in country if they so chose. Their government could also dictate where they could, and couldn't, work and prevent them from leaving the country if it looked like they were heading to a banned country.

As for the contribution foreigners make to the Isaan economy, we'd need to see what the GDP is for that area in order to determine if this amount represents that large of a contribution. I recall crunching some numbers not long ago to try and determine the overall contribution "long term" stayers had on the Thai economy as a whole, and it turns out they were nowhere near the "economic" force they thought they were.

9 billion is a large number of course, but needs to be taken in context. For example "Although Isaan accounts for around a third of Thailand’s population and a third of its area, it produces only 8.9% of GDP. Its economy grew at 6.2% per annum during the 1990s."

The latest numbers I see show the Thai GDP as - THB11.375 trillion (USD366 billion)(2012). If you attribute 10% of that to coming from Isaan that means the whole contribution from the region is about 1.14 trillion.

9 billion from foreigners would represent about 0.79 % of that total.

To put it another way, Isaan has a population of approx 22 million. 9 billion would equal about 410 baht per person (per year). Not exactly earth-shattering.

Earth shattering if you are one of the 700,000 whose jobs depend on it.

You got to be kidding! I spent almost that much myself in Surin Province, building a house and store on her family land and improving the lives of lots of her family members, only to be discarded like an empty rice bag when my money ran out! No wonder it is called the Land of Smiles!

I think you mean the land of LAUGHS.

Agree.

Not at all my lassie has 28 rai's of land that she is able to sell for around 130,000 Baht each Rai. She got many offers already but says she wants to wait for a better offer.

It all comes to the homework and I don't looked for my lassie on Cowboy, Nana etc.

Farang husbands providing massive boost to economy in Isaan

well, sorry but this isn't a new and was already true decades ago..burp.gif.pagespeed.ce.RBpw6FUyRR.gif. ...80% of the bar-girls are issan thats why there is so many farang here, but it is only today that they realized this thing ? clap2.gif

foreign men who are married to women from Isaan have boosted gross domestic product in the region by almost 9 billion baht.

it is a great sum....!w00t.gif thats why i guess in general we should get more respect from the autorities and get some visa facilities for the married one....also some rights to put at least our house on our name too, for not being later f.u.c.k.e.d by the lady we spouse, dont you think..?

we are the payer so thanks for saying what our bank account can tell...!cheesy.gif ..what an investigation

coffee1.gif

What I've wondered many times is why our countries of origin do not candidly state to Thailand that Thai's (residing/doing business etc.) in our respective countries will be treated exactly the way the West's X pats living in Thailand are. That would include not being allowed to own land/houses/import taxes, and in the case of England - no football club. Why isn't Thai given equal treatment. But as usual Thais are ONE way.... and certainly a me me me me me society.

Farang husbands providing massive boost to economy in Isaan

well, sorry but this isn't a new and was already true decades ago..burp.gif.pagespeed.ce.RBpw6FUyRR.gif. ...80% of the bar-girls are issan thats why there is so many farang here, but it is only today that they realized this thing ? clap2.gif

foreign men who are married to women from Isaan have boosted gross domestic product in the region by almost 9 billion baht.

it is a great sum....!w00t.gif thats why i guess in general we should get more respect from the autorities and get some visa facilities for the married one....also some rights to put at least our house on our name too, for not being later f.u.c.k.e.d by the lady we spouse, dont you think..?

we are the payer so thanks for saying what our bank account can tell...!cheesy.gif ..what an investigation

coffee1.gif

What I've wondered many times is why our countries of origin do not candidly state to Thailand that Thai's (residing/doing business etc.) in our respective countries will be treated exactly the way the West's X pats living in Thailand are. That would include not being allowed to own land/houses/import taxes, and in the case of England - no football club. Why isn't Thai given equal treatment. But as usual Thais are ONE way.... and certainly a me me me me me society.

You could call it a Treaty of Amity.

If it wasnt for the farangs,i reckon there would be no-one in issan,they would all be begging on the streets of Bangkok

Face ,in the Thai community ,

A respectable Isaan lady , should have at least three farlang sponsors , business is business , whatever the colour of the foreigner money .

I wish these ladies every success ,certainly a much better option than working in the rice fields .

A plane loaded with lonely and vulnerable farangs , arrives in LOS , on the hour .

I lucky I have found a good one . jing .

Good luck .wai2.gif

!!!! MUGS !!!! cheesy.gifwacko.png

And some Farang's still argue that they are not wanted for their money

I can hear it now she loves me it's not my money she's after

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

There is an alternative.......pi$$ your money up against a wall,

spend it on one nightstands with Thai hookers who's name they can't remember the next day

and end up alone and miserable like you

And you are very happy giving money to the family to sit around all day eating and drinking telling you how hard up they are; no money, no food. That sounds miserable to me, you made your choice and like many here you can't get out of it now.facepalm.gif

By the way I don't drink.