Phuket: Tiger mauls Australian tourist at Tiger Kingdom

webfact

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read a lot of the comments with people saying tigers belong in the wild and how they are all drugged etc... Both of these comments are not necessarily correct. Tigers and most other big cats lay around and sleep during the daytime due to the heat (a bit like your dog does at home), it's not down to drugs (necessarily) but their natural built in clock. That's why the "playtime" with the tigers is normally about 5pm, when they're wakening. Saying that tigers belong in the wild would be ideal in a perfect World. In Africa and the subcontinent there are wildlife sanctuaries (and in particular, tiger sanctuaries) as the World has lost 97% of wild tigers in just over the last century. If the monks in Chiang Mai are happy to run a sanctuary I say well done. If they charge an admission fee to help cover the costs, fair play. Monks selling them to rich types in China? Please provide evidence.

The Chinese claim that Rhino horns have medicinal properties. As such they pay some stupid bush African up to $10K per horn. The Rhino dies. Now, do you really believe the Chinese are above reproach, by convincing some panhandling monk to sell them a Tiger, for the right price? What comic book version of Thailand are you living in, bloke? Huh?

do i believe the Chinese are beyond reproach? Please point to the part of my post where is said that, fella. Having lived and worked in China I can confirm that my opinion is that they are in no way beyond reproach, but I never said that, did I, fella? One of the posters was suggesting that the Tiger Kingdom and/or Tiger Temple sell tigers off to wealthy Chinese, I'm keen to see evidence of this, not because the Chinese would not do such a thing, I don't think these Tiger sanctuaries would do such a thing. I spent a lot of time in CM with the monks at their tiger sanctuary and knowing what I do, I'd say they would rather stick needles in their own eyes than do that, fella. So anyway, head back for your beer Chang and have a good life, fella.

I read a lot of the comments with people saying tigers belong in the wild and how they are all drugged etc... Both of these comments are not necessarily correct. Tigers and most other big cats lay around and sleep during the daytime due to the heat (a bit like your dog does at home), it's not down to drugs (necessarily) but their natural built in clock. That's why the "playtime" with the tigers is normally about 5pm, when they're wakening. Saying that tigers belong in the wild would be ideal in a perfect World. In Africa and the subcontinent there are wildlife sanctuaries (and in particular, tiger sanctuaries) as the World has lost 97% of wild tigers in just over the last century. If the monks in Chiang Mai are happy to run a sanctuary I say well done. If they charge an admission fee to help cover the costs, fair play. Monks selling them to rich types in China? Please provide evidence.

And what the heck good are the monks doing? Acting as tiger farms for rich Chinese ? Come on, get real.

wgat the heck are you talking about? Get real yourself mate. Have you spent time with the monks at the sanctuary in CM? Go and see for yourself and then answer your own question, other than that, stop talking b*llx

Absolute, complete and utter nonsense!

"In Africa and the subcontinent there are wildlife sanctuaries (and in particular, tiger sanctuaries)" - you clearly don't understand the first thing about conservation !!!!

tigers in Africa - how do you justify that?

Edited by wilcopops

The Chinese claim that Rhino horns have medicinal properties. As such they pay some stupid bush African up to $10K per horn. The Rhino dies. Now, do you really believe the Chinese are above reproach, by convincing some panhandling monk to sell them a Tiger, for the right price? What comic book version of Thailand are you living in, bloke? Huh?

do i believe the Chinese are beyond reproach? Please point to the part of my post where is said that, fella. Having lived and worked in China I can confirm that my opinion is that they are in no way beyond reproach, but I never said that, did I, fella? One of the posters was suggesting that the Tiger Kingdom and/or Tiger Temple sell tigers off to wealthy Chinese, I'm keen to see evidence of this, not because the Chinese would not do such a thing, I don't think these Tiger sanctuaries would do such a thing. I spent a lot of time in CM with the monks at their tiger sanctuary and knowing what I do, I'd say they would rather stick needles in their own eyes than do that, fella. So anyway, head back for your beer Chang and have a good life, fella.

Very naive - there is in fact quite a lot of circumstantial evidence of trade in Tigers......but then you seem to know nothing about the topic.

It is a bit sad for the tiger I think. People are everywhere and tigers can't be allowed to roam free. If they do, people will most likely end up as a food source for these large animals.

What is the solution? Do we have them stay on large tracks of land protected from interacting with people? Eventually, they will get out.....maybe. If they reproduce in significant numbers, then people might have to exterminate the potential threat.

Tigers are a victim of their own awesomeness. Maybe there is no room anymore for them on the planet. Maybe they should end up like the dinosaur. Can you imagine a T-Rex running around eating.....everything? Environmentalist hot on their trail screaming there are only 6 left and we need to save them!!!

Really? Is that true? Do we really miss the contribution of the T-Rex eating whatever they want? Would we equally miss the tiger in this part of the world? Other than for tourist, what benefit do they bring? They don't really have a dependable food source. At Tiger Kingdom they have a steady supply of chickens for the big game hunters. Not much of a challenge...not much of a life.

About the only thing you can do with an animal like this is to move them to some other part of the world where they can thrive. Thailand is not that place.

Damned hard nosed comments. Another critic without giving an acceptable/viable alternative?

"Really? Is that true? Do we really miss the contribution of the T-Rex eating whatever they want? Would we equally miss the tiger in this part of the world? Other than for tourist, what benefit do they bring? They don't really have a dependable food source. At Tiger Kingdom they have a steady supply of chickens for the big game hunters. Not much of a challenge...not much of a life."

​this is precisely the profound ignorance that allows keystone species such as Tigers to disappear from the wild - you don't even seem to appreciate that tigers have various subspecies or the part they play in the environment.

It really grieves me to see people posting what they think are "opinions" on a subject they know absolutely nothing about.

Unlike the Koh Tao murders - this whole thing which directly involves a Thai business appears to be shrouded in secrecy - a wall of silence? It's going to be difficult to blame this on an immigrant worker - maybe they left a gate open?

Regardless of how this incident happened, visitors to Thailand should be aware of the appalling standards of care in ANY animal attraction in Thailand. there are virtually NO LAWS to govern how animals are kept or treated and health and safety is a joke.

"...there are virtually NO LAWS to govern how animals are kept or treated..."

Actually, THERE ARE, and licences are required to keep animals like these.

Unlike the Koh Tao murders - this whole thing which directly involves a Thai business appears to be shrouded in secrecy - a wall of silence? It's going to be difficult to blame this on an immigrant worker - maybe they left a gate open?

Regardless of how this incident happened, visitors to Thailand should be aware of the appalling standards of care in ANY animal attraction in Thailand. there are virtually NO LAWS to govern how animals are kept or treated and health and safety is a joke.

"...there are virtually NO LAWS to govern how animals are kept or treated..."

Actually, THERE ARE, and licences are required to keep animals like these.

these "laws" are to do with possessing an animal - firstly are seldom enforced - There are literally hundreds of animals - big and small being kept as "pats" in private homes or zoos that fall out side the range of regulations - and they don't cover the welfare, conditions or treatment of the animals.

Thailand is signatory of CITES and is currently expected to have sanctions put in place as they have not lived up to their commitments in the fight against the illegal trade in animals. It is STILL legal to trade ivory inside Thailand..

The Tiger Temple was officially CLOSED DOWN by a court several years ago but not only do they keep the place and the animals, they have embarked on an illegal breeding program that has increased the numbers of tigers there to over 100 - yet the authorities do NOTHING.

the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and Animal Welfare Bill -

There is currently no legislation in Thailand as regards animal welfare apart from a mention in the Criminal Law, which states that it is illegal to commit an act of cruelty towards an animal and that the maximum sentence is one month in prison or a fine of 1000 THB or both. However, this is no evidence that this clause is enforced and there is no clarification on what constitutes cruelty.

The above bill.......i beleive has still not actually passed into law - it has been hanging around for about 4 years!

“The draft animal welfare bill covers domesticated pets, as well as animals kept for food, entertainment or any other purpose. It does not include cruelty to wild animals, which is covered by a separate law.”

"The bill makes several exemptions for what is defined as "animal cruelty". Acts not considered cruel include the slaughtering of farm animals for meat and the culling of animals to contain disease or for religious rites. The bill says animals that are very sick or pose a danger to humans can also be put down." Thavisa - Phuket News.

"Zoo operators in Thailand need a licence and permits from the National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department. The process includes an inspection, but there are no clear laws on animal welfare,"

- See more at: http://www.thephuketnews.com/from-dolphins-to-tigers-thailands-animal-shows-taking-their-toll-47905.php#sthash.S8JHM9Bs.dpuf

Thailand does not have an equivalent to the RSPCA or the PDSA so there are few charities which work on a national basis.

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 1

Went to the Tiger Temple in Kanchanaburi some years ago when it was a small, well run operation with animal welfare foremost. Voluntary interaction with the tigers was for a short period in the afternoon and there was a donation box to help with expenses. Entry was about 50 Bt.

Returned again a few years later and found a vastly changed scenario, The tigers were now chained and often had to be sprayed in the face with tiger urine??? to calm them down. They all looked tense and stressed and even the handlers were reluctant to step in when they got agitated. We met up with a European woman (Vet Asst) whom we'd met on our first visit and she was in the process of leaving the operation as the whole operation had changed from tiger rescue and sanctuary to a moneymaking concern and, apparently, far from rescuing tiger cubs from the wild they were now illegally(?) breeding tigers for the tourists.

It is a bit sad for the tiger I think. People are everywhere and tigers can't be allowed to roam free. If they do, people will most likely end up as a food source for these large animals.

What is the solution? Do we have them stay on large tracks of land protected from interacting with people? Eventually, they will get out.....maybe. If they reproduce in significant numbers, then people might have to exterminate the potential threat.

Tigers are a victim of their own awesomeness. Maybe there is no room anymore for them on the planet. Maybe they should end up like the dinosaur. Can you imagine a T-Rex running around eating.....everything? Environmentalist hot on their trail screaming there are only 6 left and we need to save them!!!

Really? Is that true? Do we really miss the contribution of the T-Rex eating whatever they want? Would we equally miss the tiger in this part of the world? Other than for tourist, what benefit do they bring? They don't really have a dependable food source. At Tiger Kingdom they have a steady supply of chickens for the big game hunters. Not much of a challenge...not much of a life.

About the only thing you can do with an animal like this is to move them to some other part of the world where they can thrive. Thailand is not that place.

Damned hard nosed comments. Another critic without giving an acceptable/viable alternative?

The plight of the Tiger is not my job. I'm neither concerned nor care for the beast. Like the dinosaurs, their time in Thailand has come and gone. Send them to Africa, keep them as a tourist attraction or dispose of them. Either way, people should not complain when someone gets eaten from time to time.

It's only a matter of time before the same thing happens to the YouTube wonder boy that plays with lions.

If you are "neither concerned nor care for the beast", then why comment at all!

Did you say "keep them as a tourist attraction"? Is that not what Tiger Kingdom is?

And more accidents could be expected....as there are many more tiger kingdom's in Thailand were Tigers are mistreated....Koh Samui, Chiang Mai,...kanchanaburi....

I say Mistreated !!!!, because tigers should not be in zoo's. they need a lot more space than zoo's can provide....

These zoo's are not interested in the well being of the Tigers, despite what they pretend...

There only interest is in to the money it generates by letting people been photographed with them.....and once in a while they sell one to rich Chinese.....

I have no prove of that, but just wait a while....it will eventually come out.....I just know..

Well there already has been a similar attack last year with a 19 year old Scotch girl lucky not to lose her leg at Kanchanburi!

Don't people have short memories when it comes to obtaining a trophy photo for their dinner parties!

http://meebal.com/british-girl-by-mauled-tiger-thailand/

Edited by sydneyjed

The plight of the Tiger is not my job. I'm neither concerned nor care for the beast. Like the dinosaurs, their time in Thailand has come and gone. Send them to Africa, keep them as a tourist attraction or dispose of them. Either way, people should not complain when someone gets eaten from time to time.

It's only a matter of time before the same thing happens to the YouTube wonder boy that plays with lions.

A profoundly ignorant assessment of the situation of the Tiger. In fact it and other keystone species have quite a direct affect upon YOU and mankind in general. I do wish people would get up to speed on these issues before posting such inaccurate nonsense.

Why would you send Tigers to Africa? totally facile comment.

• Like 1

It is about time we had more details of what actually happened.

"Thung tong Police said that they had received no report of the incident but Kathu District Chief Sayan Chaichanawong has gone to Tiger Kingdom to begin an investigation." - Coconuts

i notice their web site and internet links have all been shut down.

guess they are attempting a damage limitation exercise?

Tiger Kingdom
www.tigerkingdom.com/
Tiger Kingdom Thailand " Playing with Tigers in enclosure without chains " ... Intown · Gallery InTown · Contact InTown. Job. Chiang Mai · Phuket · Intown · Tiger ...
Phuket
Welcome to Tiger Kingdom Phuket Thailand. Don't miss, once in ...
Contact Phuket
Tiger Kingdom Thailand " Playing with Tigers in enclosure without ...
Contact Chiang Mai
InTown Chiang Mai. 11/1 Moonmuang Rd. Prasing ...
Gallery Chiang Mai
InTown Chiang Mai. 11/1 Moonmuang Rd. Prasing ...
Edited by wilcopops

if you go to see animal attractions and accept what they rare doing uncritically - then you are more than a fool - you re a positive DANGER to wildlife, conservation and the environment

I have been fortunate to visit Australia Zoo in Queensland, Australia. You should visit sometime.

Your "fool" comment is totally out of context!

if you go to see animal attractions and accept what they rare doing uncritically - then you are more than a fool - you re a positive DANGER to wildlife, conservation and the environment

I have been fortunate to visit Australia Zoo in Queensland, Australia. You should visit sometime.

Your "fool" comment is totally out of context!

how is it "out of context"?

PS - Used to live in Brisbane, been there done that....you seem to be doing exactly what I was criticising..."and accept what they are doing uncritically"

and AZ isn't a blameless institution either - has had a lot of criticism in it's time from various scientists, conservationists.........that's what criticism is all about.

here is a list of "incidents" from wiki

n March 2008, the Australia Zoo Wildlife Hospital was accused of animal 'cruelty'[37] and of breaking Australian law 13 times[38] by not releasing rehabilitated koalas within their prescribed habitats. The Environment Protection Association said that they are now monitoring and investigating why the Koalas were not released correctly. Hospital officials have defended their actions on the grounds that injured koalas found near busy roads or in urban developments cannot safely be released to the same areas.

In January 2009, a senior keeper was attacked by a male Bengal Tiger.[citation needed] The keeper suffered a deep bite wound to his left calf muscle tearing part of it, requiring 18 stitches. Australia Zoo no longer keeps that particular animal, which now resides at Cairns Wildlife Safari Reserve in Cairns.

A second incident on 8 March 2009, involving a Sumatran Tiger called 'Juma', also saw a keeper taken to hospital.[39] This incident was minor and the keeper only required two stitches to a gash in their arm. Juma was hand raised at the zoo and Zoo Director Wes Mannion said "the scratch was part of a rougher than usual playtime, not an attack."[39]

On 26 November 2013, a trainer was bitten during a play session, again by a tiger. The 30-year-old man had nine years animal handling experience at the zoo. He received bite injuries to the neck and shoulder, and was flown to Royal Brisbane Hospital. His condition was initially stated to be "serious but stable." He recovered well.[40]

On 29 July 2014, a trainer was attacked yet again by the normally "affectionate cat" named 'Juma'. [41]

Edited by wilcopops

It was going to happen sooner or later. I don't get the appeal of taking a close up photo with a tiger. Especially one that is drugged.

Imagine if these tigers got lose in Pattaya and they made their way to walking street!

There's more savage creatures living in that jungle than these nancy pussy cats.